PDA

View Full Version : CORE test

Vancouver1234
01-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Hey everyone, I am just getting around to taking my core test. I have taken the route of self studying the book and challenging the test. I was just wondering if anyone who has recently taken the test or if anyone has any information on what is mainly on the test, what to excpect and what to gear most of my studying towards, as the book is around 400 pages long. Any help would be much appreciated

thanks very much!

Canadian276
01-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Animal identification is a huge portion so really study that part of your book

camo-kazi
01-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Hey everyone, I am just getting around to taking my core test. I have taken the route of self studying the book and challenging the test. I was just wondering if anyone who has recently taken the test or if anyone has any information on what is mainly on the test, what to excpect and what to gear most of my studying towards, as the book is around 400 pages long. Any help would be much appreciated

thanks very much!

Hi, I would be very interested as to who is going to let you challenge the test as everyone I contacted in the Vancouver area will not do it unless I pay for the course with them!!
Thanks Steve

s0ylentgreen
01-04-2013, 11:20 PM
i remember quite a few questions that i could find answers to in the synopsis......

bandit
01-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Yeah there are definitely a few questions testing whether you can interpret the synopsis. Things like what is the daily bag limit for grouse in 3.32 or when does the mule deer season open in 8.2. Make sure you understand how to read the rule book for some easy marks!

dog812
01-04-2013, 11:30 PM
It would be a difficult test to take with out the course. weird questions about waddling ducks, and other weird things.. but all the course was is a guy telling you every answer..
He would constantly say " write this down" and it was the answer to exact question on it.. haha..
Just take the course.. its a no brainer.

Weatherby Fan
01-05-2013, 12:03 AM
When I took the C.O.R.E. it was a 2 week course.....6pm-10pm each night and both weekends at the range.......The teacher was like a drill seargent,even had the local CO come in 2 nights to keep us in line.
How times have changed !

keithb7
01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
I took the option to study the book at home and I challenged the test. I never took the course. I read and studied for about 6 weeks. I took lots of notes, made up my own tests. I passed first try. It's not an easy test to get through, after quickly scanning the book. You should be thoroughly studying.

russm
01-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Some ethics, safe gun handlin, a little bit of bird ID, how to tell deer apart, if I remember correctly there was a short survival/ safety section, it's not hard if you have some experience and common sense.

Vancouver1234
01-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks Guys! good to hear there are some questions that are easily answered as long as you understand how to read the regulations, keithb7 where did you take challenge the test? i think i have a place i know that allows it in richmond, but i am not 100 percent certain. I will be studying for hours as my actual school will be ending and i will have 3 weeks off before i go back to work. Is it mainly multiple choice?

thanks

1980skywalker
01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
It really all depends on your instructor but I would imagine if you are just challenging the test he might be hard on you. Best thing to do would be to locate a sample test, a buddy of mine had flash cards of actual test questions. Challenging your PAL is not nearly as hard as passing your CORE, find a test would be my advice!

russm
01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
It's all multiple choice if I remember correctly, except for the gun handling section, I did mine with kent archibald in cloverdale,it was super relaxed he had snacks and ordered pizza lol, I'm pretty sure he lets you challenge it.

dropshot
01-05-2013, 04:19 PM
It's all multiple choice if I remember correctly, except for the gun handling section, I did mine with kent archibald in cloverdale,it was super relaxed he had snacks and ordered pizza lol, I'm pretty sure he lets you challenge it.

Last I herd Kent does take course challenges His number is 604 671 5523 He taught my two sons and is great with kids . Has a great set up and lives close to his office/classroom. Im pretty sure he is fairly flexible with his times for a challenge

BiG Boar
01-05-2013, 05:12 PM
One part you might not be able to do so well on is gun handling. You have to know how to load and unload (real guns) pump action, semi auto, bolt action, break action, and lever action guns safely. Easy if you know how to do it, but unless you have someone to let you handle them, it might be best to take the course.

Vancouver1234
01-05-2013, 05:21 PM
from what i have read on the site of the place i got my pal at, they do allow you to challenge the core. Also you can bypass the firearm handling part of the test if you have your pal, which is nice.

Canadian276
01-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I challenged my test aswell and there were a several questions on how to read the synopsis and survival and save gun handling, hunter ethics and a like I previously said a huge portion on animal identification. I didn't have to do the weapons handling portion as I have my PAL. If you don't have your actual purple card yet then you will be required to bring in your copy of the paper work stating you have completed you firearms course, but as someone who challenged it as well my best advice is study, study, and don't forget to study.

jtred
01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
I helped two friends from Germany get through the test, they did a lot of studying and I grilled them frequently. They studied diligently for 4-5 weeks before the exam and we went to the range with my guns so they could gain some experience in safe gun handling. They both said that being able to handle each of the different types of actions combined with shooting each as well went a long way to helping them through the practical portion. It's one thing to read about different action types along with the many different styles of safeties and completely another to try and handle them for real. If possible see if you can some hands on experience with as many different firearms as possible. And study lots.

NovemberBravo
01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
I have not taken the test yet (I will soon but I can use my dads license now) but my dad did only off studying the book and a few years of outdoor experience. He said that it was a lot of common sense and that once you have read the book it should be pretty easy. He also aced it or came very close to acing it.
He will probably read this and be able to give you more insight.

NB

keithb7
01-06-2013, 12:46 PM
There is a list of instructors in your area available. Not sure where, maybe ask someone at your local hunting store, or look in the newspaper classified ads about CORE courses & testing. I called the instructor and picked up the book. Paid, I think about $15 for it? Can't remember, but it was reasonable. I called him back when I was ready and challenged the test, as I mentioned above. I forgot to mention though that I already had my F.A.C. or PAL, whatever they are calling it these days. I got it many years ago so I could own a gun and buy ammo, but could not hunt. I finally got around to studying the book and challenging the CORE only test. I still have the CORE book, as I challenged the test in Oct 2012. I am not convinced, unless you have a photographic memory, that if you read the book once, you'll pass the test. It's a lot to take in and remember. It took me weeks of studying. The test was all multiple choice. Here are a few sample questions. Does anyone remember how many questions there were on the test? I seem to think somewhere around 80.

Two birds that often run from danger, rather than fly are?
Name several bovids that are considered wildlife game.
Which deer was introduced into BC?
.300 Savage and .300 Win Mag are interchangeable. T/F?
Name the 3 main parts of a rifle and shotgun.
You can survive for only 3 days with out which? Food/water/shelter/coffee
A community of living things interacting with one another and they physical environment is called?

I think most of us feel, this stuff is important. Knowing all the CORE info in and out, can't hurt you. Skimming on it quickly and challenging the test can hurt
you, and also hurt the entire hunting community. Ethics, safety, conservation, laws, animal and bird identification are all important to keeping a hunting season
here for all of us in BC. Becoming a member of our large hunting club, we all represent each other out there under the eye of Joe Public. Take the time, do it right.
Thanks and good luck.

mattmcgiver
01-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Think it's all multiple choice. It's also designed for young teenagers to pass. Second the motion it rules reading, gun safety, animal ID. Good luck

Phreddy
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
The practical hands on CORE exam is quite a bit more difficult than the PAL one. The main reason is that most instructors, myself included, are generally going to be hunting in the same areas as the students and, as I like to tell my students, "I want to make damned sure at least one of us knows what the hell we're doing out there." I don't cut slack in the course and I sure as hell don't in the exam. Instructors have lost their certification for doing that and it just isn't worth it. I do give students the benefit of a free re-examination at a later date if they don't pass, and in the case of someone with a learning disability I have no probem giving the the written exam verbally. I want to see new folks get involved int the sport, but I want to make sure that it's going to be safe for them as well as everyone else when they get turned loose with a firearm.

sneg
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Here is list of CORE instructors/examiners.

Phone up and find out

http://www.bcwf.net/images/stories/core/nov12examinerlist.pdf

Vancouver1234
01-06-2013, 05:08 PM
thanks for all the advice guys! i think i will end up challenging it as when i am done school i will have time to hit the books hard. Definetely not going to skim through it, i will be studying till i am very confident i know it all

vic58
01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi all. When it comes to questions on bag limits and open seasons in the various management regions do you have to know the numbers or just how to decipher the tables and regulations?

Wood butcher
01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Hi all. When it comes to questions on bag limits and open seasons in the various management regions do you have to know the numbers or just how to decipher the tables and regulations?
You just need to know how to read the regs. No point in memorizing regulations because they do change sometimes.

Malley Whacker
01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
There is nothing wrong with a challanging the CORE. As a CORE Examiner I will not pass a challanger unless they pass. There has been examiners loose the privlege of teaching the CORE by allowing people to pass that should not have passed, when this happens not only can the instructor be repremaned but the student could also be made to surender his or her hunter # untill they rewright the test and pass. Not worth the trouble.

tomahawk
01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
The test is multiple choice, you need to get 70% correct, the test is based on six sections of the manual. Having said that unless you have a lot of experience with others that know hunting well, I would recommend taking the course! Most students learn a lot more through the instructors and other students then just challenging the test. Handling the firearms safely is a pass or fail proposition and I have had to fail more then a few challenge students who had learned from a "expert" family member.

Panic
01-06-2013, 07:52 PM
All the information to challenge and a review test for CORE can ber downloaded from my Torrent....here (http://kat.ph/1cfsc-crfsc-core-manuals-t6831524.html).

fyffer
01-06-2013, 10:45 PM
mine was two 10 hr days, lots of info packed into there and was a lot of fun. met some new great people. I would take it just for the fun. might pick up some things along the way and if u have any questions that is the best time to ask.

TPK
01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
While the book has a ton of great info in it and I strongly encourage you to read it all..the test is based ONLY on the chapter info with no test questions based on any of the information in any of the suppemental sections and nothing on fishing. So if you ignore (for the now) the supplemental sections and fishing .. your study material is greatly reduced and if you focus on this material, you should do fine.

BCKyle
01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I had to know the difference between diving and dabbling ducks for mine. Random weird little question I didn't have much else on birds. Black vs. Grizzly bear, of course; you need to tell the difference apart from body shape/claw type etc.
As someone said already, the course is fun! Considering it's a only a two day course and they aren't generally that expensive... plus you might meet a hunting buddy or two there. I considered challenging it but in the end did the course and I'm glad I did. just my .02. If you do challenge it, good luck! There's no reason without solid studying and some guidance you can't pass it by challenging.

bccanadian
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
I was sure I could challenge and pass the exam but I decided to take the course anyway. I'm glad I did. Yes I would have passed the challenge but the course was so informative in areas that I had just enough info to pass it, that I thoroughly enjoyed taking the class. I already had my RPal so I skipped that part.
So even if you can pas the challenge, I, like others on here, suggest that you take the course.

Sealgair
10-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Ok , so the suspense is killing me... Did you actually take it? did you pass?

Dhegg
10-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Challenging the CORE is fine should you have relevant field experience, or other close instruction. I firmly believe that a person should take the course should the first attempt result in failure. The subject material taught in the course is important, moreover, a substantial part of the course curriculum is firearm safety. It would make me feel much more comfortable in the field knowing that others in the field have, at least, this very basic understanding.

All in all the CORE test is, for the most part, common sense - however common sense is in spite of, not a result of education.

Phreddy
10-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Well said Dhegg. One of the first things I tell my CORE classes is that the reason I give the course is that I'm hunting in the same areas that they will be hunting in and I want to make sure that at least one of us knows what the hell we're doing. I love the looks on their faces when they think about what I said. Priceless.

Challenging the CORE is fine should you have relevant field experience, or other close instruction. I firmly believe that a person should take the course should the first attempt result in failure. The subject material taught in the course is important, moreover, a substantial part of the course curriculum is firearm safety. It would make me feel much more comfortable in the field knowing that others in the field have, at least, this very basic understanding.

All in all the CORE test is, for the most part, common sense - however common sense is in spite of, not a result of education.

Taylor69
10-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Hmmm took it when I was 13, guess that's 30 years ago! When I took it, it was all multiple choice. I think there were 6 or7 sections with 10 question each. There was a bird section, ungulate section, hunter ethics, how to read the synopsis, etc.they take questions from every part if the book!
good luck!
i suggest taking the course, you always learn lots from actual hunters telling stories of there hunts. Had a friend take it about 10 years or so. He was from a non hunting family. For the next 3-4 years hunting together he would ask 100 questions per trip. I told him everything I knew, he is a good hunter, and successful. It took a few years though.