PDA

View Full Version : Got My First Goose

Ron.C
01-04-2013, 07:04 PM
I was in the marsh before sun up ready to go. But so were many others. I guess I wasn't the only one not working today. A couple guys behind me did allot of shooting, but no birds came near me. I stuck it out and at about 0930, a pair of guys in a brown canoe paddled past my blind, pretty much right through my decoys and were kind enough to set up about 75 yards in fornt of me. I gave them a bit of a hollar letting them know I wasn't too pleased. They set up anyway. They did a fair bit of shooting but only one duck came my way and at around 10am, I got my first shot of the day and bag'd a pintail. The two guys infront of me packed up at about 11am and headed out. At around 1130, I heard a lone goose honk from behind me and within seconds heard wings. I grabbbed my gun and just sat still. Three Canada's flew right over me, about 20 yards up. I took my shot and folded one of the geese. I was pretty excited. Was purely a fluke as I had no goose decoys and can't use the goose call I had, but I'll take it.

The rest of the day was quite uneventful. I had a fellow come by a couple times, he was log hunting with his powerboat, and another in a canoe later in the afternoon. Both were nice fellows and through a wave my way and BS'd a bit.

I had two other opportunites at some ducks, but blew those with crappy shooting. And to top'er all off, my camera had a nice saltwater bath.

Oh well, was still a fun day and it was better then being at work.

warnniklz
01-04-2013, 07:50 PM
better than an ol' goose egg... good job buddy

pnbrock
01-04-2013, 08:04 PM
great job ,too bad about camera .

Bc Deer Hunter
01-04-2013, 08:14 PM
very nice!! :)

field marshal
01-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Well Ron, 1 goose is better than no goose!!! That's a very frustrating place, sometimes!!
I'm afraid some guys have bad manners when it comes to giving others a little space.
Public hunting spots have their plusses and minusses! By the way you're a better man than I am, paddling down that creek in the pitch black???
Keep going out and everything will start falling into place! You'll get your share of geese eventually. Good shooting.---Cheers--Field Marshal.

labguy
01-04-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm afraid some guys have bad manners when it comes to giving others a little space.
Public hunting spots have their plusses and minusses! ---Cheers--Field Marshal.

Public hunting or not, how can someone justify setting up in a place that would obviously interfere with (screw up) another man's hunt?

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why this is acceptable. Maybe this has been discussed before. Sorry for the derail and congratulations on the goose.

Ron.C
01-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Public hunting or not, how can someone justify setting up in a place that would obviously interfere with (screw up) another man's hunt?

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why this is acceptable. Maybe this has been discussed before. Sorry for the derail and congratulations on the goose.

not acceptable, but I am waterfowl hunting just for the pleasure of getting out. Some people just don't get it and it wasn't worth ruining the rest of my day

Ron.C
01-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Well Ron, 1 goose is better than no goose!!! That's a very frustrating place, sometimes!!
Public hunting spots have their plusses and minusses! By the way you're a better man than I am, paddling down that creek in the pitch black???
Keep going out and everything will start falling into place! You'll get your share of geese eventually. Good shooting.---Cheers--Field Marshal.

Paddling, hell no. I had my electric motor on the canoe!

but coming back at the end of the day on a very low tide was another matter. Lets just say the motor/battery were nothing more then dead weight and I pulled the canoe nearly all the way back to the truck.

lorneparker1
01-04-2013, 10:52 PM
The ole camera in the salt trick so people wont bug you for photos hey?

LOL just kidding great job sir!

And public or private land, people will be dicks.

Lorne

Kudu
01-05-2013, 09:43 AM
I love the marsh...... Had some good times there over last couple of months.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/IMG_0113_zps4ba1138b.jpg

Foxton Gundogs
01-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Ohh man I am so sorry for you to stick it out thru all the bs pull your canoe back and still say you had a good day..............You are as addicted as the rest of us:mrgreen:. Good for you.

Ron.C
01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Ohh man I am so sorry for you to stick it out thru all the bs pull your canoe back and still say you had a good day..............You are as addicted as the rest of us:mrgreen:. Good for you.

I'm not, had I left when those two fellows set up when they did, I may have had a much easier return trip up the creeek, but I wouldn't of got my goose,

And yes, I'm addicted. But don't tell me wife that, I still haven't told her about ruining my new camera :oops:

Foxton Gundogs
01-05-2013, 10:38 AM
I ment sorry for your addiction lol not cuz you stayed, Ive stayed thry a lot worse for a lot less lol.you'll do bud, you'll deffinately do lol

shotgunjohn
01-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't say this if I was totally sober (the Seahawks just won) but once in a while a low shot with B.B.s will discourage people from setting up in front of you.

303Brit
01-06-2013, 08:47 PM
I have some bad news for you are now an addict like the rest of us ;) The camera will be a drop in the bucket once you start getting more gear.
Congrats on the goose it's all starting to come together for you buddy

P.S Asshats are asshats public or private land

field marshal
01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Pretty stupid bit of advice for a newbie waterfowler wouldn't you say Shotgunjohn???? Shooting some BB's at another hunter would be real clever!!
I know Ron is too ethical for this sort of shit!:confused: You better hope no CO's or 1 of the "horsemen" on this site sees your post or you could be getting
a visit??? Maybe you should lay off the "sauce" before you make dumb statements???-----Cheers---Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
01-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Pretty stupid bit of advice for a newbie waterfowler wouldn't you say Shotgunjohn???? Shooting some BB's at another hunter would be real clever!!
I know Ron is too ethical for this sort of shit!:confused: You better hope no CO's or 1 of the "horsemen" on this site sees your post or you could be getting
a visit??? Maybe you should lay off the "sauce" before you make dumb statements???-----Cheers---Field Marshal.

They were 75 yards. they deseve it wouldnt hurt THAT bad. :)

Lorne

field marshal
01-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Brilliant!!!! Fatso-----Cheers----Field Marshal.

shotgunjohn
01-07-2013, 08:58 AM
I would never shoot at another hunter. But a low crossing duck? ??
Not really, the type of people that do crowd other hunters wouldn't get the message even if shot was raining down around them.

I know Ron enough to know he's not going to take my tongue in cheek comments seriously anyway.
Are you Ron?
Ron?

And come on Tony you can't tell me in your long hunting career you've never been tempted?

edgy
01-07-2013, 09:44 AM
i am just amazed that anyone would be stoooopid enough to set up 75 yards in front of another persons setup, but i guess there are a lot of unethical people out there. However, i am just starting out in waterfowling, and have yet to experience the morals of some others. That being said, CONGRATS on your first goose!!!!

lorneparker1
01-07-2013, 10:03 AM
I would never shoot at another hunter. But a low crossing duck? ??
Not really, the type of people that do crowd other hunters wouldn't get the message even if shot was raining down around them.

I know Ron enough to know he's not going to take my tongue in cheek comments seriously anyway.
Are you Ron?
Ron?

And come on Tony you can't tell me in your long hunting career you've never been tempted?

Tony is a saint!

Lorne

Kudu
01-08-2013, 08:01 AM
I was in the marsh before sun up ready to go. But so were many others. I guess I wasn't the only one not working today. A couple guys behind me did allot of shooting, but no birds came near me. I stuck it out and at about 0930, a pair of guys in a brown canoe paddled past my blind, pretty much right through my decoys and were kind enough to set up about 75 yards in fornt of me. I gave them a bit of a hollar letting them know I wasn't too pleased. They set up anyway. They did a fair bit of shooting but only one duck came my way and at around 10am, I got my first shot of the day and bag'd a pintail. The two guys infront of me packed up at about 11am and headed out. At around 1130, I heard a lone goose honk from behind me and within seconds heard wings. I grabbbed my gun and just sat still. Three Canada's flew right over me, about 20 yards up. I took my shot and folded one of the geese. I was pretty excited. Was purely a fluke as I had no goose decoys and can't use the goose call I had, but I'll take it.

The rest of the day was quite uneventful. I had a fellow come by a couple times, he was log hunting with his powerboat, and another in a canoe later in the afternoon. Both were nice fellows and through a wave my way and BS'd a bit.

I had two other opportunites at some ducks, but blew those with crappy shooting. And to top'er all off, my camera had a nice saltwater bath.

Oh well, was still a fun day and it was better then being at work.

The Marsh can be quite and peaceful at times, at other times it becomes a circus with clowns behaving as if they will never get another chance to shoot at ducks in their lives.........

Sometimes I get mad when people encroach on me, I have to admit - I have thought that I'd like to get one of those shotgun shells that shoots rubber slugs, and wallop the buggers in the nuts from twenty yards as I go by, after picking up all my deeks, uncovering the boat and moving off to another spot.

Ron.C
01-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Are you Ron?
Ron?

I know where you are coming from John, no worries

fowl language
01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
i have found that when you are set down upon,i make sure that when the ducks get about 100 yards out and coming ,a dozen well placed shots to deter the ducks from coming in, usually has the clowns set to close, moving....fowl

wicket
01-08-2013, 11:16 AM
congrats on the goose and the pintail....bad deal with the other guys but good on yah for taking the high road because sticking guys heads in the loon shit ruins your mood for the rest of the day

biggyun68
01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Congradulations: I am on a similiar quest my first time waterfowling was last Friday on the ML - reading these posts is motivating...
I am sorry to hear about the rude and inconsiderate fellow hunters and glad that they did nto ruin your day.

BTW: MEC has waterproof bags on Clearence Sale... a bit after the fact but will prevent a repeat

biggyun68
01-08-2013, 02:06 PM
I know of at least one CO who is a member and reads this site regularly: So I am sure there are others along with DFO folks as well and they all have a sense of humour: MInd you if someone in the Cow Valley winds up pickking BB's out of their teeth they know where to look...:-D

shotgunjohn
01-13-2013, 08:58 AM
My post was meant more as a warning to the fellows setting up in front of other hunters. Just in case they are trolling on here. I hunted the Bay back in the 70's when there would be 80 people out there on opening weekend. Every season someone would get peppered including one guy I know of who had a dozen LEAD B.B.s dug out of his back after they went all the way through his hunting clothes.
With the number of hunters using the Bay now there is really no excuse for crowding someone else. And I have hunted with old timers in the past that would have made no bones about taking a low shot if they felt you were crowding them and would have said serves you right if you got peppered.