PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mentor

Southpaw45
01-02-2013, 03:39 PM
I am getting into hunting and am hoping to find someone who would be willing to allow me to tag along for the experience. I just got my PAL in the mail and am set to get my core in the coming months, so as of right now I cannot legally hunt. But I still feel like getting out there and learning what I can (even if I cant pull the trigger). I plan on hunting with a compound bow but am still very interested in rifle and shotgun hunting. Ive had a few set backs with equipment getting stolen which has really slowed me down and wrecked a few good years of hunting for me, but I really hope if I can get some time and experience in with someone who knows what they are talking about, maybe I can catch up alittle bit. Even if it is just a day out scouting and you would like some company, Id love to make a few friends in the hunting community and learn as much as I can. My goal is to get a year or two experience under my belt, go to school for guiding and try and find a job doing something that really interests me. I know Ive set my goal high, if not out of reach but I would still like to try and work towards a life I will enjoy. I hope this isnt too long and drawn out but I figure you might want to know a bit bout me and where i would like to take this. If you think that you could help me out and teach me the basics, Id love to hear from you. Im located out of west kelowna but have no problem driving out of town

Thanks for your time and good luck on your next hunt!

PS. not on the computer too much but i will try to keep a close eye on the fourms

Carson

coach
01-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Send me a pm, Carson. I'll try to help you get started in the right direction. Plenty of scouting to be done now in preparation for next season.. We've also got predator season rolling now and it's only a few months until spring bear.

doubled
01-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Carson, give us some info about yourself. How old are you? Do you have a vehicle, other equipment, etc? I would be more than willing to get you started down the right path.

Southpaw45
01-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Thank you guys for the interest and replies. I am 23 years old and have lived in the okanagan since I was 5. I love my dad with all my heart but while he is into custom hotrods and chrome, Im pretty much the exact opposite. Because of that I never really got the chance to get out hunting and fishing the way I would have liked to. My grandfather was a guide in price george, but died in a car accident when I was 2, so i missed the chance to learn from a seasoned veteran. Im hoping to get that second chance. I plan on hunting with my Bowtech Admiral, but I have a benelli super nova coming in (hopefully sooner than later). I dont know if that is a good shotgun for bird hunting but I plan on focusing more on a bow than anything else. As much as I am bow orriented I am still very interested in hunting with a rifle, but because they are alittle more expensive, that will be a purchase that comes alittle farther down the line. This spring I am replacing the clutch in my 89 suzuki samurai, and so far havent had any issues getting into the hinterland with my little truck. Not much past that. I know Im coming into the game completly unexperienced but that is what brought me here. I still need all the basics involved, Ive got a set of "cold" weather hunting clothes but they were a birthday present and probably not the greatest in quality. So truthfully im most likely underprepared, but im hoping with a bit of direction i can fill those gaps and get all the necessities

little moose
01-02-2013, 09:59 PM
I dont get much chance to do much preditor hunting but send me a pm in the spring and we can get out on a bear hunt

cameron0518
01-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Good to set goals but you will need more than a year or two of hunting under your belt to consider being a guide. Hunting isn't something you become good at by taking a course. It is something that you learn more year after year, never knowing everything. Enjoy it, you will love it!

Southpaw45
01-03-2013, 05:01 AM
no I one hundred percent agree but I want to set my goal high and push myself as best I can.

The Dude
01-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Well that's a good attitude. There's some guys near you that can show you the ropes, and best of luck!

hunter1947
01-03-2013, 05:59 AM
To bad you where not closer to me I would take you out no probs ,,most times I hunt a lone anyway would be nice to have someone come out with me on so hunts..

hunter1947
01-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Good to set goals but you will need more than a year or two of hunting under your belt to consider being a guide. Hunting isn't something you become good at by taking a course. It is something that you learn more year after year, never knowing everything. Enjoy it, you will love it!

Well said wording I agree.

Charts
01-03-2013, 07:38 AM
I also would say that learning about animals tendencies and how to read the land is just as important as pulling the trigger. This can be done year round in some parts of the province. Don't hesitate to go out in the spring sans rifle or bow and go try and find critters. You will also be scouting at the same time which is important. The dumb moved I made when i first got into hunting was not seriously going out into the bush until Sept and I was actually hunting. Usually shot my animal on day 4 or 5 cause I wasted 3 days just trying to find a good area, scouting, finding signs. Good luck. Any questions do not hesitate to ask we are usually very good at helping out newbies!!!

frenchbar
01-03-2013, 07:48 AM
no I one hundred percent agree but I want to set my goal high and push myself as best I can.

with an attitude like that ..and you'll get someone from here to help you out i would think. plus you will probably turn into a good smart hunter with that same attitude ..good luck and be of positive mind when you go out hunting it helps:)

NovemberBravo
01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
I personally can't mentor you because I am new to hunting also but head over to the bow hunting forum and post the same thing over there if you are looking at bow hunting. As I said I am also new to hunting mainly with a bow and they have answered a lot of my questions.

NB

Southpaw45
01-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Wow you guys are awesome, This support has been great. I will definatly post over in bow hunting too thanks for the advice.

Elkhound
01-03-2013, 05:16 PM
great job guys. Looks like a few offers from some stand up members here SP45. This is why I joined HBC in the first place. Some of the members are just awesome

BCLongshot
01-03-2013, 05:33 PM
What the HELL

Hunting but not into HOTRODS ?

Somethings fishy

Southpaw45
01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
What the HELL

Hunting but not into HOTRODS ?

Somethings fishy

hahah oh i am but if i HAD to pick between two wheel drive and four.. four always wins

Take a look see at JF launier and his website
http://desertspeedshop.com/

these are a few of the cars my dad has done in our garage gotta respect beauty when its due

Moose63
01-03-2013, 10:08 PM
You had me at "I've got an '89 Suzuki" mine's an '88. I saw your Dad sell his vehicle on that Barret-Jackson auto auction on TV. Very nice.

I planning a bow hunt around the lower mainland islands (next year though, this season is almost done). Could do some scouting this year.

Southpaw45
01-04-2013, 02:32 PM
oh its not his, he is the interior guy. but yea JF was hopeing for about 100 thousand more, so that was alittle bit of a downer. pretty cool having a barret jackson feature car at my house though. and id love to get out and do anything scouting including. Time in the bush is better than sitting at home

frenchbar
01-04-2013, 02:38 PM
head out any time of the yr ..grab some snow shoes go look around ..find trail cams in trees and you've found a good place to hunt next fall:)