PDA

View Full Version : Another Trail Camera Stolen

CBH
01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
After slogging through knee deep snow for 1.5 hours, I found that my trail camera had been stolen. I had the camera in a lock box and chained to a tree, I guess someone really wanted it. I would like to thank the outstanding citizen (s) who made my Christmas that much more merry!

I really hope that karma gets back at you when you are least prepared! I imagine that it was a hunter that stole it, which really makes a great name for hunters! well done folks!!

There is my rant!

Gateholio
01-02-2013, 02:21 PM
You sure it's not covered in snow or you are in the wrong position? I've seen a few "stolen camera" rants turn into "oops"

ianwuzhere
01-02-2013, 02:34 PM
did they cut down the tree??

Brez
01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Know just how you feel. Just found out yesterday that a 16 year old boy's Chrismas gift (a trail cam) was also stolen. And they knew of 3 more. And I had two taken. And, and, and,...
Yes you are correct, there are some real upstanding citzens out there - I call them common theives and low-lifes.

wicket
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
what the hell guys...you might as well live in ontario with all the cams going missing. I had a guy stop to pick up my shell bag which i left on the side of the road while i was taking a piss about 30 feet from it in the bush. stepped out and said um yah thats mine. guess if you arent holding on to your possesions they are gone these days

CBH
01-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Gatehouse - I checked the area around the tree I had fastened it to and nothing. I know the area very well, as i have had my camera theremany time before.

Ianwuzhere - No, the tree was still there, but earlyier this fall, the tree I had the camera was blown over from a wind storm.

I sure would liked to have walked into the area when the guy was cutting the cable! I heard that people who steal trail cameras are listed under schedule C and there is no bag limit!

YAMMY-CA
01-02-2013, 03:44 PM
What is the legality of all this?.If the cameras are not on private land are they protected by the law??? I don't think so-I think it is a risk you take and like most things in life you do a risk/benefit assessment.Don't get me wrong-I think it is wrong to take these cameras but is it really illegal--does anyone with authority know???

Sasquatch
01-02-2013, 03:48 PM
What is the legality of all this?.If the cameras are not on private land are they protected by the law??? I don't think so-I think it is a risk you take and like most things in life you do a risk/benefit assessment.Don't get me wrong-I think it is wrong to take these cameras but is it really illegal--does anyone with authority know???

That's a good question. Yeah it's obvioiusly stealing, but anyone know if it is illegal to take it?

One Shot
01-02-2013, 04:01 PM

It would be the same as locking your bicycle to a pole or bike rack and some one coming along and taking it it. 1- Theft 2- posession of stolen property.

Maybe best to engrave your name and info on them.

digger dogger
01-02-2013, 04:09 PM
It would be the same as locking your bicycle to a pole or bike rack and some one coming along and taking it it. 1- Theft 2- posession of stolen property.

Maybe best to engrave your name and info on them.

Good idea:-)

pickle88
01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
i just really cant see how or why so many cams are being stolen .....mine have been in the same spot now for 3 years and have been untouched ....
where are u guys putting them ...on well beaten human trails ...on spots your finding on google earth that 50 other people have looked at as well ....you gotta think outa the box ...find places where no one else will go ...it seems strange that so many get stolen from members of this site ...
how many hunters or hikers are theives...not to many ...so you would think about 50 guys would walk by your cam till one of them would be a thief

im thinking theres some tall tales or just a lack of getting back to right place where the cam is

Sofa King
01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
trailcams are a risk/reward item.
why are people so shocked when they go missing?
nail a $50.00 or a c-note to the tree and see if it's still there.
would you be shocked if it were gone?

if they are getting stolen that often, that tells me that those people are setting up in way too popular areas.
i've never had mine even looked at, never had a pic of another person.
but even so, every time i hike back in to it, i'm always half-expecting it to be gone, and always let out a sigh of relief when it's still there.
setting up when there's snow on the ground is very risky.
it's not hard at all for someone to follow your tracks and stumble upon it.

best bet is to frequent the pawn-shops.
but, if you don't have your name, etc, marked on it, you'll still be shit-out-o-luck.
and odds are very high that it's another hunter, and that he'll be keeping it to use himself.

while some are setting and checking their trail-cams and shed-hunting, some are out there shed and trail-cam hunting.

i don't think it's like chaining up a bike at all.
it's way out of the public domain.
i don't know for sure, but i think a cop would laugh at someone reporting a trail-cam missing.

CBH
01-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Pickle88 - I have never seen a boot track in the area where I had the trail cam setup. Maybe some do forget where they placed them.

duallie - Trail cams are very risky, but to think that hunters would steal another hunters property is disheartening! if one purchases a bike or trail camera, it is their property. and therefor not up for grabs for the next village idiot that finds it. It was chained to a tree which means someone would have to put som egood effort into it! However, you are correct regarding tracks in the snow!

ianwuzhere
01-02-2013, 05:56 PM
ya i feel the same way,, like a bike locked up to a tree. i dont care what it is-if its locked or tied up to a tree its not yours, be on crown land or on a trail.
good luck recovering it!

horshur
01-02-2013, 06:05 PM
I've had two canoes stolen one was chained to tree whomever it was must have come back with a bolt cutter....defies imagination why....only reason I locked it up cause the last one had been stolen......frig they could use the damn thing I don't mind just leave it back in same place....it is the same assholes that will vandalize a backcountry cabin..steal and leave the owner without any wood and a big mess. This is the reason why so many are locked up now..

Ride Red
01-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Don't just blame hunters, there are lots of anti-hunters out there hiking which would take cameras as well. For myself, if it doesn't belong to me, I'm not touching or taking it. But, if I caught someone f___ing with my gear, they'd wish they never saw it.

1/2 slam
01-02-2013, 07:20 PM

So it's ok to take a truck thats parked on the side of a spur road? Shake your head. It's illegal.

kyleklassen
01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
exactly the reason i don't leave my kicker at the boat ramp between fishing trips...but whatever turns your crank.

The Dawg
01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
I don't get why someone would not have another camera hidden to get footage of any theft/attempt.

Ive never used a cam, but wouldn't that be something to consider when it seems like we can't trust our own?

frenchbar
01-02-2013, 09:02 PM
I don't get why someone would not have another camera hidden to get footage of any theft/attempt.

Ive never used a cam, but wouldn't that be something to consider when it seems like we can't trust our own? the smart assholes would have both .....

Jelvis
01-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Some security cameras were stolen off buildings so don't blow a cork

Osprey
01-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Makes me nervous about my five cams that have been out since mid November...

The Dude
01-02-2013, 09:30 PM
One time......one time..... I would love to see this, only with a pic of a guy with someone else's trail cam in his cold, outstretched hands.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Forum%20Ammo/Beaver_zps8d9af453.jpg

4pointer91
01-02-2013, 10:01 PM
I suppose a lot of hunters would not want to risk loosing 2 cameras. A lot of cameras are noticeable at dawn or dusk when their flash is activated. During daylight hours a second camera with flash de-activated would work well but during dawn or dusk would you be able to get a good enough picture?

BRvalley
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I definitely think most camera thefts are scum bag hunters, but here is a different spin on it...there are a ton of tree huggers out there that spend just as much time tree hugging as hunters do setting cams...hikers, birders, wannabe photographers, etc

I lived in an area briefly where 2 things went on...a few local hunters weren't so keen on those "yuppie" hunters from down south

and there was a group of tree huggers and if they found a cam while out and about it was coming down with them, either on that trip or they'd be back with an axe and cutters

and I'd guess that most croppers would rip down a cam in a heart beat

Ringo 7MM
01-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Looks like to me, that a new hunting season should be started, ( trail cam thief season ) no TAG required, and no BAG limit, if they are beening hunted, it might make them think twice about what they are doing, but most of them don't care, so HAPPY HUNTING!

BCBear
01-02-2013, 10:57 PM
this is the reason I don't buy one of those things despite the fact I would love to see the pics

WKCotts
01-02-2013, 11:01 PM
What area are you in? Thank god I haven't lost any yet.

Know just how you feel. Just found out yesterday that a 16 year old boy's Chrismas gift (a trail cam) was also stolen. And they knew of 3 more. And I had two taken. And, and, and,...
Yes you are correct, there are some real upstanding citzens out there - I call them common theives and low-lifes.

rides bike to work
01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
So I found a old quad back seat down a bank in the bush the other day it was a bit bent but I figure I can use it for something and it didn't look good down that bank so I took it.Am I a thief in a court of law I think probably not. So if I had a "stolen" I could say I found it in the bush and legally I'd probably be ok legally speaking taking into acount Bc s legal system. I wouldn't do it and I don't condone it but I bet as far as the law goes charges wouldn't stick on a stolen trail cam in Bc.down south if the sheriff brother recognized the cam you be slammed for life with bubba.

bassplayer
01-03-2013, 01:34 AM
im thinking theres some tall tales or just a lack of getting back to right place where the cam is
I had my cam stolen and had no reason to lie about it. The fact that yours have been untouched for so long is a stroke of luck i'm thinking but i'm also thinking that your number is coming up some day too. Just a matter of time. When i hang my cam i hike way back in the brush to hang it and it just takes someone to stumble upon it by complete fluke to ruin your day. I also hang my camera knowing the risk that it could be stolen by the time i go to check it. Comes with the territory of owning a trail cam but still doesn't lessen the blow any when it does get stolen.

hunter1947
01-03-2013, 04:43 AM
You should not jump to conclusions it could had been any body maybe even a Sasquatch that stole it ???? I am sure that the shala pickers stole my two trail cams when I was living on the island ,,there where cutting of shala all around my trail cam when I found it not there same goes for the second one I had stolen ,,,,there are all kinds of people in this world that are good and then you have the bad ones its to bad one of these bad people found your trail cam and not a good person ,,,sorry to hear about your loss...

PS NOTE !!!!!!!...
Like I have said in earlier post regarding stolen trail cams if you are in an area where you think your trail cam can be seen then by all means try to use a cheep trail cam rather then that of an expensive one might coast $400.00 plus compared to the cheaper one that coasts $100.00 not as hard to swallow if the cheep one is stolen ,,remember you just want to see whats in your area ,,pictures don't have to be that clear or are you wanting a picture to hang on your wall from this trail cam ???? if so then make sure you trail cam is out there somewhere in no mans land where the chances of the trail will not be seen from anyone except wild animals and you ,,if I ever see human tracks in the area close to where my trail cam is set up I will remove my trail cam to a different place

My most expensive trail cam coast me $140.00 my cheap ones the other eight are around $50.00 to $100.00 I have total of nine trail cams to date...

hunter1947
01-03-2013, 05:22 AM
I suppose a lot of hunters would not want to risk loosing 2 cameras. A lot of cameras are noticeable at dawn or dusk when their flash is activated. During daylight hours a second camera with flash de-activated would work well but during dawn or dusk would you be able to get a good enough picture?

If you are set up with two trail cams to try to catch a thief you turn your flash off the second trail cam that is hi up a tree or other you leave the flash on the ground camera the one that they will walk away with ,,the trail cams I have give decent picture when it is almost dark out or getting daylight out no flash.....

The Dude
01-03-2013, 05:22 AM
I think it's pretty clear, to me at least.
IF: It's a dropped item, like a knife or a fishing pole, far away from any trace of man, then it's a 'Lost' item. Fair game, and if you're a good sort, you try and find the owner.
IF it's LOCKED to a tree, Crown Land or not, it is obviously the property of someone, it has live batteries in it, and to cut locks or open boxes constitutes theft.
I don't see any room for interpretation here. It's someone's property, the batts are charged, it's locked, leave it alone.
The law will back you up, in theory, but few cops will go 3kms into the bush to look at an empty tree.

hunter1947
01-03-2013, 05:34 AM
I would say in order to find out about if you do put a trail cam out on crown land and it gets stolen from on crown land..

Call up the forestry branch or other ask them what there thoughts are after all the forestrey did do a darn good job removing from my camp area last year LOL...

hunter1947
01-03-2013, 05:44 AM

if they are getting stolen that often, that tells me that those people are setting up in way too popular areas.
i've never had mine even looked at, never had a pic of another person.
but even so, every time i hike back in to it, i'm always half-expecting it to be gone, and always let out a sigh of relief when it's still there.
setting up when there's snow on the ground is very risky.
it's not hard at all for someone to follow your tracks and stumble upon it.

best bet is to frequent the pawn-shops.
but, if you don't have your name, etc, marked on it, you'll still be shit-out-o-luck.
and odds are very high that it's another hunter, and that he'll be keeping it to use himself.

while some are setting and checking their trail-cams and shed-hunting, some are out there shed and trail-cam hunting.

i don't think it's like chaining up a bike at all.
it's way out of the public domain.
i don't know for sure, but i think a cop would laugh at someone reporting a trail-cam missing.

LOL it becoming a big business a job for some they head out into the bush finding foot prints in the snow following the prints that take them to the tree where the trail cam is
steel it then sell it for a few bucks..

Alpine85
01-03-2013, 07:19 AM
I think it's pretty clear, to me at least.
IF: It's a dropped item, like a knife or a fishing pole, far away from any trace of man, then it's a 'Lost' item. Fair game, and if you're a good sort, you try and find the owner.
IF it's LOCKED to a tree, Crown Land or not, it is obviously the property of someone, it has live batteries in it, and to cut locks or open boxes constitutes theft.
I don't see any room for interpretation here. It's someone's property, the batts are charged, it's locked, leave it alone.
The law will back you up, in theory, but few cops will go 3kms into the bush to look at an empty tree.

Willing to bet most of the cops now adays couldn't make the 3km walk,even if they wanted to! :)

HarryToolips
01-03-2013, 08:07 AM
My SD card was stolen 3 weeks ago brother: I hear ya it pisses ya off ya karmas comin for em...

Ron.C
01-03-2013, 08:59 AM

The authority would be your local police, but you would have to prove the camera stolen was yours "and know who has it. The COPS aren't going to waste a second looking for it. As for a legal definition of theft:

http://www.lawyers.ca/statutes/criminal_code_of_canada_theft.htm

And although it is shitty, trail cam theft happens all to often. In my opinion, locking them is a waste of time. If someone wants it they'll get it. I had a treestand and all the fixings stolen several years back and it still pisses me off. But it is unfortunatley the risk we take when leaving our stuff on public land when we know not all people that come across it will respect the fact that it is not their property and keep walking.

I prefer to use cheaper cameras that if stolen, won't set me back too much $$$. And I have all my camera serial numbers recorded plus I have etched in the numbers and name as well. Inside and out. Not that it'll stop a theif, or help the COPS, but when you see serial numbers and identifying marks scratched out on anything, you know someting is shady.

iwing
01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
ive had the same camera ripped off the tree by bears on two separate occasions. Bears are curious animals and like to chew on plastic. I found it both times, once the bear dropped it close to the spot i put it and the next time it was about 300 yards away and i found it by following the game trail i was targeting. Its not always people and if its "way back there" I would bet money it was a bear.

Spokerider
01-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Somebody needs to design a black powder or similar booby trap that detonates when the cam is removed from the metal lock box it is locked to.......just enough of a charge to have the cam self destruct and a flash-bang to scare the shat out of them.

I know a fella that had more than one of his car stereos ripped out of his vehicle. Thief would wrap his hands around the deck, feet on the dash and yank....... After the second loss, he soldered razor blades to the back of the new deck. Thieves came back, tried to get the new deck, and lost some skin and blood in trying. They didn't come back.

M.Dean
01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=CBH;1264639]

I imagine that it was a hunter that stole it, which really makes a great name for hunters! well done folks!!

There is my rant![/QUOTE I never did make out which area exactly your camera was, when you head up the switch backs did you turn at the first left? or go pass the second left turn also and park in the logging clearing, where the real steep skidder trail go's up to your right? From there the trail lead's towards the North, which I use to get to all the other roads and trails. I've lived up here for over 30 odd years, and can't really say I've seen to much damage that we found out to be caused hunters. Did you notice any Dirt Bike track's around where you set up, or if there was much snow, Snow machine tracks? I'm just wondering because that entire wood lot area is used quite a bit by the kids from this side of the lake, they can ride the ditch's,and only burn off half of Dad's new Carbide Runners before they hit good snow, and off they go! Another though, is there any chance you may have walked along a trail and if you walked South it would have taken you onto the property's that follow the main road, some of them go quite a ways back up the side hill, of maybe some how set up on the Dude Ranches riding trails, or maybe there grazing lands? Also, if you want send me a bit of a map of where you set it up and a description of the camera and I'll post it at the Store up here, there's a Early Morning Coffee Club up here, all the Retired Folks drop by the store, grab a coffee and BS for a good hour or two most morning's, weather depending of course, and if there's a good rumor, they'll know it! PM me if you like, Marv.

Darksith
01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
we've had countless threads on this topic. First off to the OP...don't blame hunters in general, as you see here, there are lots of us that won't touch your cam.

To anyone on this thread and others...you show your true colors when you say a T cam is fair game. You are no better than the guy that is stealing it when you try to come up with a legal excuse why it should be fair game. You are the reason hunters get a bad rap, you are the reason t cams aren't safe. It might not be you that took it, or would take it, but your line of thinking teaches others that its fair game. Your line of thinking is wrong, you need to change it or we're all facked! Sorry if Im being a dick, but it simply amazes me how our fellow hunters have no respect for other peoples property...this isn't a debate about politics, this is plain and simple theft. Cut and dry, black and white...quit making excuses, let the guy rant.

And finally, quit putting your cams in spots where others will find them...is it on a game trail that is in an area with lots of hunters? Then don't put it on the trail. Don't buy a cam that has a flash, don't leave it when there is snow on the ground for someone to follow your tracks thinking their enroute to a sweet honey hole, and then get a t cam instead...I take mine down when the snow flies, I leave mine on a trail that is on a steep hillside, where the lazy no gooders won't go cause they are lazy. The dedicated hunters may walk that trail, but they will also leave my cam be Im sure. Be smart with it, lock box or not, a thief will take it if they want it, so don't let them find it...plain and simple. Have 3 for 3 years now, never even got a pic of another person let alone 1 gone missing.

hunter1947
01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
we've had countless threads on this topic. First off to the OP...don't blame hunters in general, as you see here, there are lots of us that won't touch your cam.

To anyone on this thread and others...you show your true colors when you say a T cam is fair game. You are no better than the guy that is stealing it when you try to come up with a legal excuse why it should be fair game. You are the reason hunters get a bad rap, you are the reason t cams aren't safe. It might not be you that took it, or would take it, but your line of thinking teaches others that its fair game. Your line of thinking is wrong, you need to change it or we're all facked! Sorry if Im being a dick, but it simply amazes me how our fellow hunters have no respect for other peoples property...this isn't a debate about politics, this is plain and simple theft. Cut and dry, black and white...quit making excuses, let the guy rant.

And finally, quit putting your cams in spots where others will find them...is it on a game trail that is in an area with lots of hunters? Then don't put it on the trail. Don't buy a cam that has a flash, don't leave it when there is snow on the ground for someone to follow your tracks thinking their enroute to a sweet honey hole, and then get a t cam instead...I take mine down when the snow flies, I leave mine on a trail that is on a steep hillside, where the lazy no gooders won't go cause they are lazy. The dedicated hunters may walk that trail, but they will also leave my cam be Im sure. Be smart with it, lock box or not, a thief will take it if they want it, so don't let them find it...plain and simple. Have 3 for 3 years now, never even got a pic of another person let alone 1 gone missing.

Good words on this post I like...

burger
01-04-2013, 04:45 PM

X2 coudnt have said it better

pickle88
01-04-2013, 05:00 PM

agreed ...x3.............my analassis on this is maybe a few get high jacked but i think some guys just got nothing better to do than make up stories ....how many guys are walking aroud the timber in december...and like i said in an earlier post ...not evey guy who walks buy a cam is a thief ...so maybe 1 in 50 may steal a cam ...so 50 guys are walking buy your cameras....

i just cant see this as really happening this often ...im calling bullshit

NovemberBravo
01-04-2013, 05:52 PM

Ive never used a cam, but wouldn't that be something to consider when it seems like we can't trust our own?

I was just thinking that. You could hide a cheap cam high up in a tree where you needed a ladder to get to or just down in the bush. The flash should not be much of a problem because how many people are going to be walking around in pitch black trying to steal a trail cam and even if it was low light all you need to catch is a bad quality glimpse of the persons face (which you can probably do without the flash) and the cops will probably be able to find them. ? I mean seriously.

The Dawg
01-04-2013, 06:08 PM

Then don't be surprised when people call your 647 yard free-hand no rangefinder shot bullshit.

keoke
01-04-2013, 06:10 PM
I still like my bear spray/flashbang trail cam lock box idea. Try to tamper with it and you are in for a world of hurt.

hunter1993ap
01-04-2013, 06:36 PM
agreed ...x3.............my analassis on this is maybe a few get high jacked but i think some guys just got nothing better to do than make up stories ....how many guys are walking aroud the timber in december...and like i said in an earlier post ...not evey guy who walks buy a cam is a thief ...so maybe 1 in 50 may steal a cam ...so 50 guys are walking buy your cameras....

your logic is off because not everybody loses cams. there is a lot of cams that go missing simply because there is a lot of cameras out. there are also a lot of guys tht visit these forums all over bc so you hear about the losses. i still havnt lost any but i know guys who have, and there cams are in some remote places. you just never know when your going to lose one.

pickle88
01-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Then don't be surprised when people call your 647 yard free-hand no rangefinder shot bullshit.

if u like ill take you to the spot next septermber ..it close to where u live ...and when your there ..there will be atleast 6 guys to provide truth to it ....

pickle88
01-04-2013, 07:43 PM
if u like ill take you to the spot next septermber ..it close to where u live ...and when your there ..there will be atleast 6 guys to provide truth to it ....

oh ya ..and bring your range finder ,,...i dont own one

The Dawg
01-04-2013, 08:02 PM

With that logic, I can bring you to the tree where a trail cam was stolen from.
Theres guys that saw it wasn't there too

hunter1993ap
01-04-2013, 08:03 PM
oh ya ..and bring your range finder ,,...i dont own one
everyone knows not to go there. back to the tcam talk, before this thread goes sideways

M.Dean
01-04-2013, 08:06 PM
When you fella's, pickle and Dawg do go out to test the 647 hands free shot, if possible keep your eye open for my buddys Rifle up there, thanks!

:grin:

moose2
01-05-2013, 01:43 AM
There are slime balls everywhere, whether they are raiding or taking crab or prawn traps, going through cars at night, stealing gas or stealing trail cams. Theft can't be stopped in all situations. I have had 2 cameras in use for the last few years and have not lost one yet. I do take the time to use a pass word in hopes that if someone did take it they would find it useless and of no value. Maybe once the veiw from home cameras start being used the risk of taking cameras won't be worth it. Also if no one went into pawn shops and bought one, that would slow down thefts as well. Most of the local TC thefts up north that I know of are from private land. The owners think there taken by guys hunting without permission that don't want a picture of themselves on a camera.
Mike

The Dude
01-05-2013, 04:43 AM
I think I would rig up a surprise for some folks if I started losing cams.....some folks here know what I do for a living. :D

hunter1947
01-05-2013, 05:03 AM
I say suck it up if you have a trail cam stolen you know or I know once it is out there in the woods it can disappear at any given time if you don't ever want a trail cam stolen then don't put any trail cam out in the woods its plan and simple as that.

I have lost two trail cams in the last 5 years does it bother yes it does but I just trow all behind my shoulder and carry on having a trail cam stolen can happen so don't be surprised if one day you go back to check your trail cam and it is gone thats the way I look at it there is nothing you really do in a case like this just move on..

Darksith
01-05-2013, 10:24 AM
I was just thinking that. You could hide a cheap cam high up in a tree where you needed a ladder to get to or just down in the bush.
They already make a T cam that uploads the pictures to a receiver that you hide somewhere else like up in a tree. That way if the cam goes missing you don't lose your pics, and might just get a pic of the theif...still won't stop your cam from going bye bye though.

I say suck it up if you have a trail cam stolen you know or I know once it is out there in the woods it can disappear at any given time if you don't ever want a trail cam stolen then don't put any trail cam out in the woods its plan and simple as that.

I have lost two trail cams in the last 5 years does it bother yes it does but I just trow all behind my shoulder and carry on having a trail cam stolen can happen so don't be surprised if one day you go back to check your trail cam and it is gone thats the way I look at it there is nothing you really do in a case like this just move on..

Of course you gotta suck it up...but if a guy can't have a little rant on HBC without peeps telling him to get over it, then where can he have a rant? Let him have his rant, no need to turn it into a 200 post debate...

panhead
01-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Please post GPS co-ordinates of all trail cam's. It'll make it easier for THEM ...

Mugger
01-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Besides cutting a tree down how do you guys secure them within reason for theft. I do not have any , just wondering for dicussion.

Darksith
01-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Besides cutting a tree down how do you guys secure them within reason for theft. I do not have any , just wondering for dicussion.

Not sure what cutting the tree down has to do with securing it...but, people buy bear boxes (steel box that the cam sits inside) and those get chained/secured to the tree. That will only keep the casual criminal of opportunity from stealing your cam though. If they want it they will shoot the chain or lock, fall the tree or bring a cordless grinder with them next time. I like the idea of well hidden rather than secured. Go for a hike, pick a ridge. Most theives of opportunity are simply lazy, and they don't hike up big hills ;)

Wackman
01-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Not sure what cutting the tree down has to do with securing it...but, people buy bear boxes (steel box that the cam sits inside) and those get chained/secured to the tree. That will only keep the casual criminal of opportunity from stealing your cam though. If they want it they will shoot the chain or lock, fall the tree or bring a cordless grinder with them next time. I like the idea of well hidden rather than secured. Go for a hike, pick a ridge. Most theives of opportunity are simply lazy, and they don't hike up big hills ;)

X2, I'm with him. Once you are off the beaten path it would be hard to find a camera(I can hardly find my own lol) unless there is a trail up to it.