PDA

View Full Version : Bear meat

LeverActionJunkie
12-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Just wondering what y'all usually do with your bear meat? I was planning on turning this springs entirely into salami, garlic sausage, pepperoni, jerky for lunch meats and maybe a little stew meat. The old lady won't eat regular bear meat so I figured I'd fool her with some sausages:) :) I've never done them and was just wondering if they turn out good?

Will
12-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I've had alot of Bear made into pepporoni etc.
It's Great for this Purpose.....I shy away from "non cooked" stuff made from Bear though such as Jerky etc......just my preference :|
Makes Great Sausage 8-)

bsa30-06
12-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Had mine made into pepperoni, everybody loved it.

puppychow
12-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Pepperoni and cure sausages from Freisen's in Honeymoon Bay. Great job and never lasts. Last bit to be consumed at Christmas.

300H&H
12-10-2006, 01:03 PM
We took a boar last summer. It was in a orchard eating plums, breaking branches & sprinkler heads. It was also sitting on his daughters (and 2 young kids) door step. So he got permission from the COs to shoot ANY bear in the orchard. I did not even need a tag. He called me and we shot the bear. I had it made into hams (the best smoked meat ever), pepperioni (everyone who was lucky enough to try it loved it) and the rest into salami (awsome). A-1 Meats in Kelowna did it but Joe closed shop. So I am now taking my game meat to Springfield Meats. He did great on my deer this year & Joe is now working there. I will will forsure take another boar this summer.

Marc
12-10-2006, 02:05 PM
I had the bear I shot this spring done up into steaks, and the bear I got this fall made into sausages. I'd say that we've probably gone through a dozen packs of sausages since I shot the bear back in October. The wife loves them. I got half the bear made into Italian sausages and the other half into bratwursts. I defrost them in the microwave for 2 minutes then on the George Forman grill for 12 minutes and they're ready. I figure by spring I’ll need another sausage bear for sure.

Wife likes the steaks made up as well. Willyqbc taught me to marinade them in Kraft Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing and man what a difference it makes. I’ve turned a few people that said that they didn’t like bear meat into “ hey that’s pretty good”. My wife now prefers bear meat over deer.

Marc.

Amphibious
12-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Steaks, steaks, and more steaks. why waste good bear meat on sausage? thats what deer are for.

Marc
12-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Steaks are great but I also like sausages and with an unlimited supply of bears on the Island it's nice to have one of each per year :D You never know when you'll shoot another Island buck :D

Will
12-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Steaks, steaks, and more steaks. why waste good bear meat on sausage? thats what deer are for.
!!! :lol: !!!

Browningmirage
12-10-2006, 03:54 PM
We had ours made up into roasts, steaks, and smokies, all were awesome. PLanning on shooting 2 this year, one for smokies and sausage (which ended up being gone in like 1 month) and one for steaks and such.
BM

StoneChaser
12-10-2006, 04:46 PM

Sounds like somebody never filled his 7-12A moose LEH and is getting into the mindset for a long winter of bear meat :)

StoneChaser

StoneChaser
12-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Just wondering what y'all usually do with your bear meat? I was planning on turning this springs entirely into salami, garlic sausage, pepperoni, jerky for lunch meats and maybe a little stew meat. The old lady won't eat regular bear meat so I figured I'd fool her with some sausages:) :) I've never done them and was just wondering if they turn out good?

Truthfully....after giving away what I can to those that like it... the rest goes into dogfood.

I boil it, cube it, and then freeze it in small ziplocks.

A fistfull on the dry food keeps the mutt looking great!

I've eaten it, but just can't get into bear meat be it prepared meats, steak, or roast.

Guess I've never been hungry enough.

StoneChaser

mainland hunter
12-10-2006, 04:55 PM
a good bear is among my favorite meat in steak or sausage, a bad bear can turn u off it for good.

The Hermit
12-10-2006, 05:40 PM
sausage and peppi... I will take a spring bear if possible this year with a bow if Franko and the 300 wsm will play back up?

LeverActionJunkie
12-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the replies boys, I think I'll probably go the sausage and peperoni route. That way I can have lots of lunch meats and she'll eat peperoni for sure. She definitly won't touch bear steak, roast etc. her dad was a CO and she's seen too many stinky half rotten garbage bears for that.

Amphibious
12-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Sounds like somebody never filled his 7-12A moose LEH and is getting into the mindset for a long winter of bear meat :)

StoneChaser

freezerfull of lingcod and black rockfish I shot, oh yeah, and my half of the moose firebird and i got ;)

didn't punch a tag this year, but hey, I picked up a little peice of paper that lets me fly helicopers for profit this fall instead ;)

Dad and son
12-10-2006, 11:43 PM
I was first turned off with the thought of eating bear so I had my first bear turned in to peperoni and jerky. The last bear this fall I had it cut into steaks, chops and peperoni. The bear chops are now my favorite meat in my freezer and I have fresh moose and deer in there. The bear is moist, tender and delicious. Several friends who have not eaten wild meat before have tried it and said it was good. I BBQ my chops and I make sure they are done medium which is very important with all wild meat. I also sprinkle with Montreal steak spice.

Gateholio
12-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Bear meat is what bear meat is...

Fish eating bears- well,they taste liek crap, and I've tried about a million times to get the fish out of them.garlc, spicee etc! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

The last 2 Island bears we got were fishy, even after spic sausages, I coudln't et them. Keeep that in mind the next tiem you get aear, fry a piece up and eat it, and if it is fishy, it's time for the dog food routine..Wish I had remmebered that.:lol:

Last mountain bear i got had sweet, sweet meat,t hough, good for everyting, and I had vegetarians eating it!

i usually think that big bears are better for the grinder and smaller oens for the steaks, but they all taste good gound and sausagedor stewed unless they are fishy yeeech..

bigwhiteys
12-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Truthfully....after giving away what I can to those that like it... the rest goes into dogfood.

Amen to that... Shot my first bear this spring. Had it turned into Pepperroni and Jerky. I won't waste my money and that again. The jerky is the most expensive dog treats my buddies dog has ever had.

We should be able to leave black bear meat behind. Just like Cougar, Wolf and G. Bear. It should be a "Fur Bearing" animal.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

MichelD
12-11-2006, 12:51 PM
I am very fond of bear meat just as it is.

I stay away from big bears though.

I try to find young two to three year-olds and find it makes great burger, stews, roasts ribs and everything. Pressure cooked bear shanks with onion and carrots, mmmmmmmmmmm.

Never had any game meat made into sausage in 36 years, because every time I tried some made for friends it always tasted the same, like Safeway garlic ring, and the dinner or breakfast sausage made from moose or deer were all pork fat.

No thanks. I want my game meat to taste like game meat.

Bruinhunter
12-11-2006, 01:56 PM
I made some cure bear sausages, spicy jerky, BBQ, Marinade in Chinese style, and also tried to make Jiaozhi (dumpling). All taste fabulous!!! I love all game meats.:lol:

Franko Manini
12-11-2006, 02:01 PM
sausage and peppi... I will take a spring bear if possible this year with a bow if Franko and the 300 wsm will play back up?

I'll be right behind you big buddy.

I've made smoked hams, sausage, peps, steaks, and roasts. I loved the Peps and sausage. I could leave the roasts, steaks were pretty good too.

ryanb
12-11-2006, 03:15 PM
I'd say more than any other animal you take your chances when you shoot a bear. I shot a big mature boar and the ground and roasts from it were quite good. On the other hand, I shot a younger bear this year and the meat was terrible. Bear meat seems to be wildly variable.

I really hate shooting an animal and not eating it all, so until I get another dog to feed the bad bears to, I'm going to avoid black bear hunting.

MichelD
12-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I agree Bruinhunter.

Bear makes amazing gyozas ( my spelling). It almost as if it's made to be married with garlic and when I got an older tougher bear, my Mrs. made south Asian style bear Biryani where you marinate the meat overnight in yoghurt and then stew slowly with the appropriate spices.

It is very versatile meat.

Elkhound
12-12-2006, 12:55 PM
The one thing I have noticed so far is this. If the bear has very white fat the meat has always been very good for steaks and roasts and such. If the meat has a yellow tinge to it. Not very good tasting. Definitely a sausage bear or spice it up while cooking. Curry for example. So far the fat thing has held up for me.