PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and scope question!!

camo-kazi
01-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Hi
I would like to introduce myself to the forum. Ive just got my PAL and purchased a Browning x bolt hunter in .270WSM.
I used to hunt in the UK but have not hunted in Canada since emigrating here 25 years ago.
Living in the one of the best places in the world for hunting I figured I should make the best of it!
My question is ; what scope would you recommend to go with my rifle?
I will be mainly hunting deer close by, either in the Pemberton or Hope area. Hopefully get a little further North on occasions.
Thank's guy's.
Steve

The Dawg
01-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Leupold 3x9x40

Will handle the recoil, lifetime warranty, excellent product.

stonefever_14
01-01-2013, 09:53 PM
I would also recomend the leupold 3-9x40 fairly nice scope for the money and durable as well i have one on my 8mm rem mag

RiverOtter
01-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Another vote for the good old VX-2 in 3-9x40. The 3.5-10x40 VX-3 is another great option, if you want a bit better glass, depending on budget.....

1/2 slam
01-01-2013, 11:22 PM
leupold 3x9x40

will handle the recoil, lifetime warranty, excellent product.

x4.............

Weatherby Fan
01-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Another vote for the good old VX-2 in 3-9x40. The 3.5-10x40 VX-3 is another great option, if you want a bit better glass, depending on budget.....

VX2 3-9x40 as a minimum or better yet a VX3 3.5-10x40 will last u a lifetime.
Some very good advice from R.O.
WF

mikeboehm
01-01-2013, 11:44 PM
leupold gots my vote.

r106
01-01-2013, 11:46 PM

Yup x6 I love my VX3. But price range is going to dictate what you can get. I would budget 350$ for a cheap one $500-$600 for a good one and upwards of $1000-$2500 for a great one

hunter1947
01-02-2013, 03:02 AM
Leupold 3x9x40

Will handle the recoil, lifetime warranty, excellent product.

I agree this scope would be the one I would go with ,,not to expensive and a great scope to look though..

brian
01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
VX2 3-9x40 is a great scope in that price range and I use it on one of my hunting rifles, but for a bit more the Ziess conquest 3-9x40 is also a solid scope and has constant eye relief (which is a feature that I really like).

Apolonius
01-02-2013, 06:21 PM
I've got the vx3 and it is an amazing scope.and the price is right.It is up to your budget.Go the extra dollar for quality.It is something that is going to be with you for a long time.And you got a nice rifle too.Pair it with something nice.Good hunting.

camo-kazi
01-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the help guys!!

camo-kazi
01-12-2013, 12:14 AM
I ended up buying the VX3 and will be mounting it this weekend.
Thanks for the help!!

Weatherby Fan
01-12-2013, 12:30 AM
I ended up buying the VX3 and will be mounting it this weekend.
Thanks for the help!!

Awesome choice,you will be happy and worry free for a very long time,I have 10 of them,one of them for over 25 yrs and has never lost it zero or caused me a moments grief.
Best scope for the money in my opinion.
WF

Trophyslayer
01-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Great choice on scope I have nothind bad to say about leupold the customer service is outstanding even better caliber choice I have a hunted and owned many different calibers and I love the 270wsm killed a moose and a few elk and deer with it a great all around caliber for BC

SingleShot
02-09-2013, 09:55 PM
VX2 3-9x40 is a great scope in that price range and I use it on one of my hunting rifles, but for a bit more the Ziess conquest 3-9x40 is also a solid scope and has constant eye relief (which is a feature that I really like).

Brian, if you are about, could you explain "constant eye relief" to me. I had trouble in the past with a scope that forced me to crane my head fwd towards the scope to gain the correct eye relief and put me in an awkward position for shooting. Due to ring configuration I cannot adjust the scope back any more.

Not to derail this thread, however I too am looking for a scope to pair with my Sako 270. Picked up the latest Zeiss brochure today which details the Z6 and Z6i. They must be good however there are just too many choices? Any thoughts?

new hunter
02-09-2013, 10:07 PM
I hunt pemby as well with a savage 111 in 06 with a 3-9x40 as well ( bushnell elite doa reticle ) , I have not had a chance to point it a critter further than 50yrds away .
May I suggest picking up a brush gun as well , I have found a few occasions were a 3030 is all I would have needed at any point in the day , and was much easier to carry than my 06.
Another friendly heads up , hunt squamish instead of pemby , there arent any deer north of whistler :wink:.
good luck out there .

albravo2
02-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Speaking from Squamish, I'm pretty sure all the deer are up around Pemberton.

Since you're new here, I'll share something I've learned in the past few months. People on this forum will tell you the honest, factual, helpful, genuine truth on every question you ask. Except where to hunt;-)

brian
02-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Brian, if you are about, could you explain "constant eye relief" to me. I had trouble in the past with a scope that forced me to crane my head fwd towards the scope to gain the correct eye relief and put me in an awkward position for shooting. Due to ring configuration I cannot adjust the scope back any more.

Constant eye relief means that no matter what power you shift the scope to, the eye relief remains the same. The eye relief will shorten as you increase magnification in most scopes. Its really nice to have the same eye relief at 9x that you have at 3x.

Your problem is different. I have the same problem with my mauser .270, no scope tubes have enough length between the objectives to give me much wiggle room for adjusting the scopes position between the rings. This is because the base holes have been drilled really far apart. Your options are
1 get some extension rings (it'll give you about 1 inch more space to play with and make sure your scope bell can clear the extension)
2 get a rail (make sure it doesn't hinder extraction and usually it sits a bit higher than scope bases)
3 get a scope with a longer eye relief and/or longer tube spacing (most scope manufacturers have their specs on their websites)
4 get irons, ghost ring, or a red dot sight (no eye relief problems, no magnification either)
5 shortening your length of pull (hack off some space from your butt stock, which will put your eye closer to the scope but also change how the gun fits you)

I got the medium weaver extension rings, and that gave me just enough clearance to get the scope back into a comfortable eye relief for me. The constant eye relief really works well in this situation.