PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun options for left handed shooters

edgy
01-01-2013, 09:52 AM
I will be taking my Pal course the second week of Jan., after which it will be time to set myself up with a waterfowling gun. I have looked into a few different options, such as bottom eject weapons, actual left handed firearms, over/under, etc. I am just looking at getting some advise from lefties as to which option has worked best for them. I have shot traditional pump actions, and don't find the ejected shell casings to be an issue, and have some shooting experience with over/unders, which i really like, although the limit of 2 shells could be an issue. Just looking for opinions from those with MUCH more experience than me :) (also, I really like the idea of a pump!) My budget will probably be in the 5-7 hundred range, and while i really like the over/under, they seem to be quite expensive. thanks in advance
ed g

bandit
01-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Are you left eye dominant as well as being left handed? I'm a southpaw but have a dominant right eye so learned to shoot off the right shoulder. Eye dominance is the key to wing shooting.

For what it's worth I prefer the o/u over a semi or pump. Much safer, easier and faster to load with cold hands. I can honestly count on one hand the number of times I have brought down a bird with the third shot (not for want of trying!)

Tanya
01-01-2013, 10:23 AM
I have a left handed Remington 870 pump, and Precious has been serving me well for 15 years. Taken everything from bears to quail with Precious.

CRS
01-01-2013, 10:24 AM
2 words: Browning BPS. Bottom eject, pump, fits budget. It's what I chose. Got the 28" stalker in synthetic. 3" is perfect as an all around gun unless it will be used for mainly geese, then may want to step up to 3.5". I use it for trap too. You won't regret the purchase.
HTH
CRS

d6dan
01-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Edgy, I'm left handed and always had a problem with right handed eject shotguns. I solved that problem and bought a Browning BPS 12ga bottom eject. It sells for around $500-600 and you won't be dissapointed. I have also heard that Remington has a lefty 870 out now, but haven't seen it personally.

d6dan
01-01-2013, 10:27 AM
I have a left handed Remington 870 pump, and Precious has been serving me well for 15 years. Taken everything from bears to quail with Precious.

There you go edgy, they do exist..:-D

gerrygoat
01-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Check out the Browning BPS which is left hand friendly, one of those is on the list for me next year too. From the research I did the newer LH870's can be hit and miss when it comes to quality, you never hear that about the Brownings, a bit more $$ but worth it. A used one will be good if you want to save a bit more money.

lorneparker1
01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Both guns 870 and bps are great guns for a lefty. And don't worry about 3.5 shells to kill geese. All 3.5 inch does is kick more.

Foxton Gundogs
01-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Ok I am NOT a lefty but I shot a whole season left handed years ago due to a right shoulder injury. I shot both a SxS and my R/H Mod.12 after a couple of shoots I did not find the R/H eject an issue. I did try a borrowed Ithica with botom eject but just hated the fit so did not use it again. My opinion is as you say the R/H eject is not an issue then go for fit try the BPS but if it doesnt fit then move on and try others. If you can get your choice in a L/H model great but dont let it be the govern factor. As far as SxS and O/U the 3rd shell isnt much of a factor I find that my 3rd shell is usually unfired or its a hail Marry attempt...not always to be sure but often. I also wouldnt worry about 3.5" capability its another nice option but far from necessary. There are guys that shoot nothing but 2.75" with great sucess i still shoot my M12 2.75" and it kills stuff just fine I wont say I never use 3.5" but rarely 80% of my waterfowling is with 3" and probably another 15% with 2.75".
Go go soot or just shoulder as many different guns as you can and buy what you like and what fits. All the L/H or bottom ejest, 3rd shell and 3.5" capability wont mean squar if you cant hit anything cuz your gun doesnt fit you.

Have fun out there, be safe.

180grainer
01-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Ithaca M37

Qwa-honn
01-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I am a lefty and I use a SBE2. The BPS would be another good option. I am thinking of p/u one in 20 ga.

Tanya
01-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Both guns 870 and bps are great guns for a lefty. And don't worry about 3.5 shells to kill geese. All 3.5 inch does is kick more.\\

Yup, Precious is only chamber for up to 3 inch, and no problem on bears or geese.

green machine
01-01-2013, 06:19 PM
remington 870 is your best bang for your buck, the left handed ones only cost about 20 bucks more then the righty. should be into one for about 400 bucks for the express the magnum is a little more.

edgy
01-01-2013, 06:37 PM
thanks for all the advise folks, given me lots to think about, and i think that actually shouldering some different models will help alot also, but it's great to get people's personal experiences with different models. Also, as has been stated, i guess it doesn't matter what you shoot if you can't hit anything,lol

Sasqman
01-01-2013, 08:17 PM
thanks for all the advise folks, given me lots to think about, and i think that actually shouldering some different models will help alot also, but it's great to get people's personal experiences with different models. Also, as has been stated, i guess it doesn't matter what you shoot if you can't hit anything,lol

Yes shouldering the shotguns is the best thing to do. I am a left shooter and I spent a month researching shotguns before a purchase. I had my heart set on a BPS, this was gonna be my new waterfowler. Well when I shouldered it it just didn't feel like a good fit for me. Kinda sad. But back to research and it led me to a mossberg 500. Haven't looked back. So happy with this gun. It's a right handed model, and don't even notice the shells ejecting. Other benefits, the action release is way easier being on the left side, the thumb safety, and when u get quick enough, getting a fourth shot off can happen with having the chamber very accessible.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy shopping.

Paul

Duck Buster
01-01-2013, 08:48 PM
I have been shooting a BPS for 17 yrs and have put thousands and thousands of rounds through it, only ever had one issue around the 15 yr mark where the slide broke, fixed it for $50 and it has not failed me since, I see no reason why it wont run for another 15 yrs or more. I am a right hand shooter but love the bottom eject, shells stay close, and in the layout they stay right in the blind. Good luck with the search.

WaderGator
01-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Im right handed and left eye dominant therefore I shoot left handed. I've owned 2 870's and a Xtrema2, all right hand eject and never had an issue with it. in fact Ive never even noticed it. I'd go with proper fit before worry about which side the shells eject from. I do like the O/U idea though and browning makes a cynergy in MODB and Max4 but thats above your price range

edgy
01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
yeah, kinda how i feel, i have shot a few right hand eject shot guns, and like you, never really noticed the casings, and i have shot some clays with my brothers o/u, and i gotta say, i REALLY like the o/u alot,so i am kinda leaning towards an o/u, maybe the way to go is to try and find a used o/u at a good price, and get a pump further down the road :)

Robson
01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
I am another lefty out there and always shot right handed shotguns until I came across a Left handed Semi-Auto Remington 11-87 that shoots 3". I love it. I dont think you can get them brand new anymore so you will have to look for one used as I did. Good luck.

edgy
01-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the advise folks, got my PAL, and had the oppertunity to shoulder some shotguns--and the winner is--- Browning BPS Hunter, 28", chambered for 3", honestly didn't see the need for 3.5", and really liked the way the Browning feels, a little heavier than some of the others, but just feels right. Now I have the time to work with the gun before next season starts, shoot some clays,etc, cannot wait to try her out!!!!

fowl language
01-22-2013, 09:19 AM
i am a left handed shooter that has been shooting right handed auto loader shot guns for 47 years without a problemas we shoot the wind so any exhaust from the bolt goes away from the face..i also wear glasses,but not sure how much difference that makes.good luck with finding a gun ,look for an older 3 in. browning or super x as they are the same gun and work very well....dale

gerrygoat
01-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the advise folks, got my PAL, and had the oppertunity to shoulder some shotguns--and the winner is--- Browning BPS Hunter, 28", chambered for 3", honestly didn't see the need for 3.5", and really liked the way the Browning feels, a little heavier than some of the others, but just feels right. Now I have the time to work with the gun before next season starts, shoot some clays,etc, cannot wait to try her out!!!!

They are a very nice shotgun, you will be pleased. Congrats.

Hellfish Hunter
01-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Hey Edgy, you live in Rosedale, you should try it out on a crow roost right across from island 22 boat launch. Farmers will thank you and they are a great target to try and hit.

cheers

rbduck
01-23-2013, 10:52 AM
I have been shooting a right handed 870 left handed for 45 years. Never been an issue with shell ejection. I can honestly say I can`t remember ever seeing an empty shell cross my face.

Ron:mrgreen: