PDA

View Full Version : First time goose hunting, what a blast!!!!

Bc Deer Hunter
12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Big thanks to KTownkiller and his nephew for taking me out!! Had a great time overall and was able to put my dog on her first bunch of real retrieves :) The hunt started out slow early morning but picked up after 9am, by around 10am four birds had hit the ground. Shortly after that a reporter from the news showed up because of a complaint from a neighbouring building, im not going to go into detail but if you want to check it out ( which I highly recommend!) watch the news tonight ;) Anyways what a great experience, i know for sure im not going to get that much sleep tonight!! Honey and I... http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/IMG_0187_zpsf58d55cc.jpg One half of the shooters! http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/BcDeerHunter/IMG_0188_zps93f6804a.jpg

J-Man
12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Which news channel?

lorneparker1
12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Awesome shoot!. 2 things

Are those decoys in the bush?

Can you elaborate on what was said on the news? being in an industry that saw alot of press in the early 2000's i find its best to be very short in your answers when "surprised" by a reporter as you never know who you are speaking with and how they might spin what you say.

Lorne

BiG Boar
12-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Looks like the geese feed into the orchards there in the OK.

Pretty cool, something I never even considered.

Big

lovemywinchester
12-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Nice job! Goose is on the menu for new years. I had some duck this fall that my buddy shot and I was amazed at how good it was. Time to get into some waterfowling I think!

Bc Deer Hunter
12-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Not entirely sure about the channel. But a lady was very upset that we were harvesting these geese, she claimed that she doesn't like seeing them suffer and a bunch of other things... Highly uneducated about the subject and truly ignorant!! I believe she broke down crying a couple times through out the interview because she saw some of the birds piled up... She does not understand that they are hunted for proper management, if they weren't they would all be dieing a slow painful death from disease, over population ect ect..

The Dawg
12-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Way to go buddy !

KTownKiller
12-31-2012, 02:44 PM
It will be on CHBC (Global Okanagan) tonight. The reporter was Kelly Hayes and he thinks it's great that we hunt them. Thanks again BC Deer Hunter for coming out! Your dog was great on two really hard retrieves.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Looks like the geese feed into the orchards there in the OK.

Pretty cool, something I never even considered.

Big For sure, lots of fun to be had too!! ;)

Nice job! Goose is on the menu for new years. I had some duck this fall that my buddy shot and I was amazed at how good it was. Time to get into some waterfowling I think!
I cant wait to get my waterfowl liecense next season!!! To much fun to be had:)

digger dogger
12-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Not entirely sure about the channel. But a lady was very upset that we were harvesting these geese, she claimed that she doesn't like seeing them suffer and a bunch of other things... Highly uneducated about the subject and truly ignorant!! I believe she broke down crying a couple times through out the interview because she saw some of the birds piled up... She does not understand that they are hunted for proper management, if they weren't they would all be dieing a slow painful death from disease, over population ect ect..
And/or just eating all the fields crops, so that when it goes to market it's huge money!
and soon there would be 100's of thousands of geese, that don't need to go south for feed, then we have nothing eventually, but brown fields, and dirt would be cheap..
Like you said, proper managment..
Congrates on the geese!!!

Bc Deer Hunter
12-31-2012, 03:04 PM
It will be on CHBC (Global Okanagan) tonight. The reporter was Kelly Hayes and he thinks it's great that we hunt them. Thanks again BC Deer Hunter for coming out! Your dog was great on two really hard retrieves.

I really appreciate it!! Had a blast, if you ever need another guy/dog I will defiantly be up to it ;D I hope they will show some of that footage of you taking that one goose aswell!!

heyblast
12-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Will have to watch global news tonight, maybe Vancouver will carry the story. But what about the trees, were you shooting from the trees or were the geese actually landing in the trees.

Foxton Gundogs
12-31-2012, 03:24 PM
For us that arn't "local" we may be able to catch it here

http://www.chbcnews.ca/index.html

KTownKiller
12-31-2012, 04:37 PM
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y537/nacheson/th_015_zps315448f1.jpg (http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/user/nacheson/media/015_zps315448f1.jpg.html)

This is from the same area on Saturday. We would have hammered more, but the snow kept covering our decoys and spooking the geese. Today we would have got a lot more, but the reporter and the squacking lady spooked some good flocks. The reporter was great though, I don't think he even realized that he was spooking them. He was all for it and really interested in all we were doing. He said he would make a good report for us and try to educate people that this is all legal and necessary... Hopefully the report comes out like this.:-? Someone had complained that we were killing too many, they had counted about 50! Those where (mostly) decoys, of course!!:-D We were set up just outside an orchard in a freshly plowed field. The honkers like to land in the open, and then walk into the orchard to feed. We set out about 4 dozen decs in the open and another doz in the orchard trees, with many of them set like they are heading towards the trees. It worked good with lots of honkers coming in locked up!!:mrgreen: The cops phoned but didn't bother us at. I told him he could check our permits (to hunt in the city limits) on file at the office. Then a bylaw guy called, but didn't want to disturb our hunt. I told him he could come out anyways because we were packing up. He was great and very understanding because he hunts as well. We get a lot of support from most people, but there's always a few squackers...

Bc Deer Hunter
12-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Great clarification, that spot can sure produce!!

little moose
12-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Saw the news and all i can say is wake em up tomorrow morning the same way:mrgreen:

pnbrock
12-31-2012, 07:50 PM
just watched for myself what a bunch of ignorance.well done boys stand your ground you were great!!

lorneparker1
12-31-2012, 07:51 PM
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y537/nacheson/th_015_zps315448f1.jpg (http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/user/nacheson/media/015_zps315448f1.jpg.html)

This is from the same area on Saturday. We would have hammered more, but the snow kept covering our decoys and spooking the geese. Today we would have got a lot more, but the reporter and the squacking lady spooked some good flocks. The reporter was great though, I don't think he even realized that he was spooking them. He was all for it and really interested in all we were doing. He said he would make a good report for us and try to educate people that this is all legal and necessary... Hopefully the report comes out like this.:-? Someone had complained that we were killing too many, they had counted about 50! Those where decoys, of course!!:-D We were set up just outside an orchard in a freshly plowed field. The honkers like to land in the open, and then walk into the orchard to feed. We set out about 4 dozen decs in the open and another doz in the orchard trees, with many of them set like they are heading towards the trees. It worked good with lots of honkers coming in locked up!!:mrgreen: The cops phoned but didn't bother us at all when I told him he could check our permits (to hunt in the city limits) on file at the office. Then a bylaw guy called, but didn't want to disturb our hunt. I told him he could come out anyways because we were packing up. He was great and very understanding because he hunts as well. We get a lot of support from most people, but there's always a few squackers...

Reporters, cops, and bi-law officers? sheesh! any links to the story?

Lorne

lorneparker1
12-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Just found the link

http://www.chbcnews.ca/video/urban+goose+hunters/video.html?v=2322393542&p=1&s=dd#video

The reporter and you guys did a great job. Well done.\\

Lorne

goatdancer
12-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Way too many of them stay in the valley year round. It has become a serious issue. Time to take out a lot more.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Saw the news and all i can say is wake em up tomorrow morning the same way:mrgreen:

hahahahahaha

KTownKiller
12-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all your support. I've had a couple of harassing phone calls this evening. But one guy just phoned me that had given up on goose hunting because of all the hasles and permit... But now he's all fired up about it! We're going to get together on a good property he's lining up and hammer even more!!! This thing is going to backfire on the whiners! :mrgreen: I think it's great that the reporter, cops, and bylaw guy are all on our side also.
Thanks for posting the link, Lorne, and sorry for making those comments about shooting hens the other day. Guess I hadn't thought it through enough because we don't have that many ducks. Maybe I'll knock down some hens next time.:-D They're closed now, but they better look out next fall!
Happy New Year to all!!

lorneparker1
12-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all your support. I've had a couple of horassing phone calls this evening. But one guy just phoned me that had given up on goose hunting because of all the hasles and permit... But now he's all fired up about it! We're going to get together on a good property he's lining up and hammer even more!!! This thing is going to backfire on the whiners! :mrgreen: I think it's great that the reporter, cops, and bylaw guy are all on our side also.
Thanks for posting the link, Lorne, and sorry for making those comments about shotting hens the other day. Guess I hadn't thought it threw enough because we don't have that many ducks. Maybe I'll knock down some hens next time.:-D They're closed now, but they better look out next fall!
Happy New Year to all!!

How do all these people have your phone number? lol

Lorne

Dano
12-31-2012, 09:12 PM
You made her cry.......:cry: She probably crys when they pick the fruit in the orchard too.
Is she wearing fur trim on her jacket?

Reporters did a good job, and so did you guys. Let us know how the local paper treats you.
Dano

scoutlt1
12-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Nice shooting.
And well done on the news. Straight forward, upfront, and well spoken. Good job!

Thanks!

nano
12-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Nice shooting, it would be on my list of waterfowling trips to do. How is the hunting in the fall?

Happy new year!

finngun
12-31-2012, 10:34 PM
ktownkiller--Maybe I'll knock down some hens next time.:grin: They're closed now, but they better look out next fall!/// dont you have spring goose hunting opening?

way to go,,let babyes cry,,and teach them how to drop some honkers,,maybe offer for them some healty meat to try?, i'll love wingshooting myself,,ducks geese pheasants grouse etc.. keep yours heads up...they need education abouth hunting..:mrgreen:

KTownKiller
12-31-2012, 11:22 PM
That first lady I think had a leather coat and tall leather boots. I should have asked her about that.:? Hard to think of everything when there's a camera stuck up your nose. I couldn't beleive the tears she was shedding for them, WOW! Then she looked down at one of the dead ones.... Oh man. I didn't meet the second lady, who thinks honkers are our "symbolic" bird. :confused:
The hunting can be great in the fall also, nano, but I'm usually busy trying to get the big bucks that my game cams have picked up, and backpacking for rams in the Kootneys. So much to hunt, so little time.
Oh ya, finngun, we love to drop honkers in the spring also. Some days I've limited out in a half hour! But now the limit is 10! I love these extended hunt'n seasons and bigger limits! :mrgreen:

Mik
01-01-2013, 12:52 AM
That was a great report. Its been a long long time since i've hunted geese, this makes me wanna go out again.

KTownKiller
01-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Love the way you think, little moose.:-D

Wow! It looks like this is really backfiring on the whiners!:mrgreen: My daughter is go'n to start knock'n honkers soon also, maybe. Then look out, she doesn't fool around with a gun in her hands. If she was out yesterday, that lady would have called Social Services also, I bet. lol

I spoke to Kelly (reporter) on the phone later in the day. He said that after the second lady made her speech, he told her our point of view, and she went away with a much better attitude. So people can change, some anyway.

Tanya
01-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Very well handled on your part.

CRS
01-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Well done guys! Very well spoken, and repectful of the greater issue. LOVE seeing that Lab hauling in the honkers! I like that it also shows how areas can be hunted properly and "Joe Public" ISN'T in harms way!! When the lady who came to talk to you was there, did you mention she "could" be in violation of laws about interfereing with a legal hunt? (Not as a threat but as an informative direction?)

KTownKiller
01-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Well done guys! Very well spoken, and repectful of the greater issue. LOVE seeing that Lab hauling in the honkers! I like that it also shows how areas can be hunted properly and "Joe Public" ISN'T in harms way!! When the lady who came to talk to you was there, did you mention she "could" be in violation of laws about interfereing with a legal hunt? (Not as a threat but as an informative direction?)

I didn't even think of that! :-? She actually spooked a flock that was working into our decs nicely when she came out.

One of the women that phoned me lastnight, asked if I was going to kill more geese! I laughed a bit and said, "UH......YEAH" :mrgreen: Some people just have no idea.
She asked how I could do that. "It's my life. It's what we do." :-D

hotload
01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
If you want to save a species, simply decide to eat it, then it will be managed- like chickens, like turkeys, like deer,like Canadian Geese....................
TED NUGENT

longshot
01-01-2013, 09:58 PM
There are very few things in this world that can upset me greatly.. one of them is anti's that try to shut us down. Atleast you guys have a lot of say helping you, such as the cops and all that!! But maybe the reporter could now focus on how the hunting is NEEDED, instead of focusing on the pissy bunch?? Atleast I got to see some urban hunting footage!! Haha

Qwa-honn
01-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Ba ha ha ha I would have and have started cleaning them in front of her. I think this happens to most of us at one time or another. This a prime example of what one of the farmers I know always say. People think groceries come from the store.
Tell them go see a slaughter house and see what looks more humane.
Stupid anti's. I cant stand them.
Should have offered her one as a gift then point out she was getting food from your families mouth and be gratefull.

happyhunter
01-07-2013, 09:02 PM
You made a good solid case for doing what your doing out there. Good on ya. The ladies sounded a bit foolish especially the second lady. She says "should we kill them because there is a few to many or whats the situation? Its not right." Well just as you said it helps promote a healthy population so yes they should continue to be hunted. It is the right thing to do. The information is available for these people to become informed. Seems like they are just quick to judge based on their emotions. Its to be expected though because a lot of people in urban centers are far removed from a natural way of living they don't know whats right anymore sadly.