PDA

View Full Version : Fridays shoot

Fella
12-30-2012, 10:01 PM
On Friday I had the opportunity to go for a quick shoot with a cousin and an uncle on my cousins acreage. This is the uncle that inspired me to begin hunting, so needless to say I was excited to hunt with him for the first time. My cousin has the permission of his neighbours to hunt on their property as well, so we had a very good setup. The neighbour to his right has a hazelnut grove, and so we setup just on the edge of the trees next to a low spot on my cousins field that was full of meltwater. It was a little slow at first as we set up pretty early, but my cousin managed to call in a single mallard and with the first shot from my new weatherby PA-08, I had my first ever duck! Felt a bit bad as she came down wounded, but I ended her suffering quickly once I got to her.

From then on, it stayed fairly quiet, but we had some good groups come in, and a couple good laughs as my cousin and I shot simultaneously as a group of four dove down onto our dekes 15 yards away and we completely missed! Final count on the night was 1 each for my cousin and I, and the old man showed both of us young whippersnappers that he's still got it after 30 years of not hunting ducks by bringing home 3 nice fat drakes!

nano
12-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Well done, congrats!

Fella
12-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks! Not going to lie, my hands were shaking when I saw that hen go down :) absolutely thrilling!

lorneparker1
12-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks! Not going to lie, my hands were shaking when I saw that hen go down :) absolutely thrilling!

Gotta love that!.

Well done, and great job!

Lorne

303Brit
12-31-2012, 12:44 AM
That's what it's about right there. You gotta watch them old fellas they are all certified shotgun snipers