PDA

View Full Version : Need your thoughts about wolf encounter....

mr7mm
12-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I was sent a video today of my girlfriends son who took a pic of a large black wolf yesterday he was letting his excavater warm up while he was resting his eyes in his pick up he woke up too a large wolf looking at him it wandered around front of his truck looked diectley at him guessing 5 feet . it hung around for about 4min and she drianed her bladder all the while within 30 feet of his truck. what is weird is his truck was running and so was his machine. I know what i would have done it would have been a dirt nap for the wolf but he does not hunt.. does anyone think that this is a problem wolf or iam i out to lunch whats your thoughts?

BlacktailStalker
12-29-2012, 07:24 PM
So many variables on why an animal does what it does when it does. There is no answer. IMO. But yeah if it was possible I would have shot it too :)

Johnny G1
12-29-2012, 07:26 PM
A running machine usually means food, like scraps, not hard to get an animal in close with food.

Ringo 7MM
12-29-2012, 07:40 PM
She was letting you know that it was her territory, in a very direct way, she was behaving as wolves will do when they are used to human presence, and she probably has a den nearby.

The Dude
12-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Any chance it was a stray domestic looking for a home? Some folks confuse wolves with hybrids pretty easily.
(Trust me, I know ;-) )

The Dude
12-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Also male wolves usually pee by stretching out, rarely lifting a leg, so many people think a male is a female.

Big Lew
12-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Most animals don't relate machinery in the bush to danger. Just think of how many times you've noticed animal tracks all around your equipment and work area. Over the years I've seen tracks around machinery or my vehicles from just about every animal out there. A lot of them are very curious and can't resist checking things out, especially if they're female:-D. My wife watched a black fox play around our truck, sniff at it, and peer up at her for over half an hour one evening while I was away hunting.

KodiakHntr
12-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Most wolves are a lot less spooky than people think. I've had several wolves over the years walk up to me while a truck is running on roads in the bush. I had a pair of them maybe ten years ago walk up the road in the spring bear hunting right to my truck while I frantically searched the regs to see if they were open.

I've had wolves within 5 yards watching me while I worked in the timber.

They are a fairly inquisitive animal.

Jonas111
12-29-2012, 11:30 PM
What ever you do don't watch the movie "The Grey".

Might scare the crap out of you. Lol!

I was bored the other day and watched it. For some reason timber wolves have always intrigued me.

hunter1947
12-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Was it a wolf or a German Shepperd ?? if not this was very unusual

st99
12-30-2012, 08:28 AM
curiosity I guess, this video is from alberta http://s665.beta.photobucket.com/user/deanmc/media/9f4f7604.mp4.html

oldkoot
12-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Work areas mean food scraps. At this time of year, many pieces of equipment are left running over night.....most critters get fairly comfortable with the sound after awhile. Was near Pink Mountain recently, 3 rock trucks, 7 cats, 3 scrapers, 2 hoes and a grader all running overnight. Most mornings saw fresh tracks all through the area, mostly coyote, but wolves and lynx as well.

Jonas111
12-30-2012, 08:50 AM
curiosity I guess, this video is from alberta http://s665.beta.photobucket.com/user/deanmc/media/9f4f7604.mp4.html

What a great experience. Some people will never see one wolf and I lost count at 10 in that video. That was amazing. Thanks for sharing the video.

gcreek
12-30-2012, 09:13 AM
They also know damn well when a human isn't armed or a threat.

dd3boss
12-30-2012, 09:33 AM
It sounds like a wolf that is used to humans. There could be a camp nearby where scraps are left out frequently. I've seen this done with wolves, coyotes, bears, fox, etc. It's pretty scary coming across one of these animals used to human interaction when you're all alone out there without a gun! I wish people would quit feeding wild animals!

howa1500
12-30-2012, 09:47 AM
You are ALWAYS being watched by predators when in the bush, it's whether you notice them or they make them selves seen. Running equipment doesn't scare them if as much as you think, plenty of times in the army I have seen them not get spooked by heavy equipment (tanks, lavs, trucks, etc)

vip_ruger
12-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Hope for no bag limit on them and let lead fly on every one u see kill them all!!! No good animals

KTownKiller
12-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Could not have said it better, vip_ruger, except I shoot Barnes. Kill 'em all!! :mrgreen:
Happy New Year

schilly101
12-31-2012, 12:09 PM
ive had wolves many times walk up to me while working night shift running rock trucks and hoes..wolves used to sit up on a high bank directly above me and every time i would swing id see their eyes shineing up above. ive had a wolf walk out of the bush in front of me while i was in a dump site on a rock truck dumping my load he walked out came up beside me about 15 feet away and continued on past and out into th darkness behind me like i wasnt even there..had them pop up on our roads in front of the trucks..walk down the road without a care up the road to the dump site were they walked less than 10 from the push cat that was sitting there waiting ideling away. once they get used to the noise of equiptment working away on a regular basis they become no longer shy and you will see them on a daily basis.

dingdongdenny
12-31-2012, 04:58 PM
and?????????????? were is the smoking gun?

bandit
01-02-2013, 01:39 PM
does anyone think that this is a problem wolf or iam i out to lunch whats your thoughts?

All wolves are problem wolves (except the vegetarian ones)

panhead
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
SHOOOT Em ... SHOOOT Em ...

.330 Dakota
01-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Should have opened the truck door to see what it does, then step out (leaving the door open of course) and see reaction. If it was a wolf I am sure it would run as soon as the door opened, especially if it had ever been shot at.
I saw a lynx on the road one day while out working, so I stopped and shut the truck off. Jumped out and crouched down and started talking to it. It came to within 10 feet of me and sat down while tilting its head side to side listening to my voice.
It then became bored and turned and slowly walked away. That was really cool, and I will never forget it. Now before you call me crazy, no I wouldnt try that with a cougar, or a bear.

Goliath
01-07-2013, 06:53 PM
. That was really cool, and I will never forget it. Now before you call me crazy, no I wouldnt try that with a cougar, or a bear.

...or a street urchin on the downtown east side. :)

Kudu
01-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Make wonderful trophies.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/IMG_0106_zps88b221fd.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/IMG_0107_zps80c2620c.jpg