PDA

View Full Version : Some more rookie questions

rides bike to work
12-28-2012, 03:38 PM
So I've got my gun patterned and permission from two different farms and am ready to kill some ducks.

The first farm is a corn field with a creek flowing through it. So far I've just walked the creek and shoot at the ducks as they flush. The creek ponds a little in 2 spots but I have seen many ducks flying in the area so I walk it then leave.

The other farm is a flossed corn field that has hundreds of ducks in it I haven't hunted it yet. There is a dry drainage ditch I can sneak up so I will try that to sniper a couple.

So after I get a couple shots off the will all fly away. Now what should I do to get them to come back or is that how duck hunting is one shoot out and that's it for the day?. I'm looking for some deckoys but don't have any yet.

Any tips on how I should hunt these spots would be appreciated.

The Dawg
12-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Shoot your limit while they sit on the ground

wicket
12-28-2012, 04:02 PM
get there before light in the morning ..... find a spot to hide ...plant a robo and shoot your limit when they come in to feed. dont worry so much about snipe them and scare the bejesus out of the whole bunch and hope they come back. you have the hardest parts done, you have permission and you have a field they want to use now go get em and post pictures or it never happened.

Foxton Gundogs
12-28-2012, 04:52 PM
get there before light in the morning ..... find a spot to hide ...plant a robo and shoot your limit when they come in to feed. dont worry so much about snipe them and scare the bejesus out of the whole bunch and hope they come back. you have the hardest parts done, you have permission and you have a field they want to use now go get em and post pictures or it never happened.

X2 you know where they feed find a natural "blind"(the dry ditch could be just the ticket). 12 Can. tire $30 a doz deeks, a mojo and get in about 7, (shooting time is right around 7.40) set up have a quiet coffee and wait, shoot your limit and leave. Shoot the other field next and give the birds a chance to settle again-----Repeat till end of season. Good Luck

Hellfish Hunter
12-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Get up earlier and beat the ducks to the pond. Set up dekes and blast them as they come in, they will keep coming if it is as good as you say. Same for the field, set up early and shoot all day.