PDA

View Full Version : Single and Dual cam bows

NovemberBravo
12-27-2012, 09:48 PM
So I was looking a buying my first bow (I am on my second and its not been a year yet) and I am talking to my cousin who tell me that single cams are better. So I say ok and go looking for single cam bows.

fast forward to the present. I now know that dual cams shoot faster than single cams but there is more that can go wrong. My first bow was a dual (I think) and mine now is a single. I have always thought that dual cam bows have 2 limbs and single have one limb. Evidently I am wrong. I was looking on the Mathews website (not for a new bow) and one of their single cams has 2 limbs.

So I have 2 questions.
The first being how can you tell the difference between single and dual cam bows?
The second being what is your preference and why? I only have one opinion so...

Thanks
NB

boing-whap
12-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Single cam has a round wheel on top limb, idler wheel, and cam on bottom. Timing is a term that refers to both cams moving in sync, imagin the lower cam completing it s cycle a fraction of a second before the upper cam, that would among other things be a waste of the stored energy in the late limb and affect speed and accuracy, strings strech timing suffers. A single cam bow does not have these issues, easier to maintain.

knockturnal
12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
I shoot a dual cam bow and yes, the cams will go out of time but that's usually when you first get the bow or you put new strings and cables on. After everything stretches, I take it back into the shop and have some twists added or taken away from the buss cables and that fixes everything. You owe it to yourself and the animals that you are pursuing to tune your bow to the max. I also find that with a single cam bow the back wall is mushy.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Single cam has a round wheel on top limb, idler wheel, and cam on bottom. Timing is a term that refers to both cams moving in sync, imagin the lower cam completing it s cycle a fraction of a second before the upper cam, that would among other things be a waste of the stored energy in the late limb and affect speed and accuracy, strings strech timing suffers. A single cam bow does not have these issues, easier to maintain.

So a string does not stretch on a single cam bow .. the nock point does not move as a result .. your anchor point does not change as a result of having a longer pull to get to the wall ..... the limbs do not get further apart when the cable stretches .....with a stretched string and cable the solo Cam will not rotate fully and your bow will shoot like shit because its out of "time"
But you just keep continuing to believe that old wives tale

I cant believe how many people hear something once and take it as gospel without even thinking about it and continue to spread the mis-information

The Dawg
12-29-2012, 11:47 AM
So a string does not stretch on a single cam bow .. the nock point does not move as a result .. your anchor point does not change as a result of having a longer pull to get to the wall ..... the limbs do not get further apart when the cable stretches .....with a stretched string and cable the solo Cam will not rotate fully and your bow will shoot like shit because its out of "time"
But you just keep continuing to believe that old wives tale

I cant believe how many people hear something once and take it as gospel without even thinking about it and continue to spread the mis-information

Perfect. I don't need to worry about mine then.

:)

Bowzone_Mikey
12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Perfect. I don't need to worry about mine then.

:)

Nope ... no need to worry about yours Dawg .... You gotta shoot it once in a while for it even to cross your mind

donny.brooke
12-29-2012, 03:28 PM
All bows need to be timed and tuned for best performance whether there a single cam or dual cam of some sort. With a good string on your bow it shouldnt come out of tune very often if at all.

Jonas111
12-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks mikey. I was going to say something but you nailed it.

Donny is absolutely correct. Doesn't matter if its single or double. They all need to be timed.

I shot with a couple guys shooting a brand new APA single cam bows and both of them had string stretch after 20 targets and they were basically done for the day. They couldn't even hit the animal. It was sad to watch. Scared me away from APA even though it was due to poor strings.