PDA

View Full Version : Bow dry fired by friend. Help pz!

NovemberBravo
12-26-2012, 08:01 PM
On christmas eve my dad had some friends over. One who hunted and is a total gun nut. So he asks to see my bow, I show it to him and tell him how it works. I tell him to pull it back but not to let it go which he does just fine. Then I let his wife try, she pulls it back but the let off surpriser her and she let it go.

Anyway long story short my bow was dry fired and the strings are messed up and the peep has fallen off. How much would it cost to get the strings replaced? Is there anything else I should look out for?

Thanks
NB

Ambush
12-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Describe the bow. Make, model, age?

The Dawg
12-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Describe the bow. Make, model, age?

F that.

Describe the wife

:D

Sofa King
12-26-2012, 10:00 PM
F that.

Describe the wife

:D

:-Damen to that.

opie, a friend did the same to mine.
he wanted to look at it, i showed it to him, explained if he draws it he can't let it go, he draws it and lets it go.
luckily i had zero damage.
i've heard it can even crack a limb though.
i'd check out the bow completely.

killman
12-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Don't let people touch your stuff......

Wild one
12-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Bring it to a good shop and have it looked at as string, cables, and peep may not be the only problem

If you have a crack in your limb it is now a time bomb but this does not happen to every bow that is dry fired

Shooter Jr.
12-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Replace all strings and cables, look over your cams. Check for cracks or bending. Also watch out for limb delaminating in the near future...

threedhunter
12-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Where are you???Take that bow as soon as possible to a BOW shop and have it checked. Make and model not a good indicater of a bow that can withstand a dryfire. Was the poundage at peak for the bow?That might be an idicater,high pounds means maxed out on all parts .Was it pulled to full draw or partial draw. (you said a wife pulled it) Not to say she's weak , but most women refuse to pull 70 pounds.

Karl
12-26-2012, 11:01 PM
If your in the lower mainland take it to Big Game Archery in Abbotsford. Best in the business he will fix it up for you.

Ambush
12-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Make and model not a good indicater of a bow that can withstand a dryfire.

It's a good indicator of whether or not it's worth replacing strings, cables, maybe cams and limbs plus shop time.

And yes, some bows can withstand dry fires, while others are considered toast if it happens even once.

chilcotin hillbilly
12-26-2012, 11:31 PM
You need to increase you poundage so this doesn't happen again.

bowhunterbruce
12-27-2012, 08:06 AM
it wouldn't have happened to a hoyt!!!!
as everyone has said though "you must have it completely checked out"
most strings and cable sets run around the 100.00 to 150.00 ish range and alot of people are very capible of doing it.
bhb

Brez
12-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Bring it to a good shop and have it looked at as string, cables, and peep may not be the only problem

If you have a crack in your limb it is now a time bomb but this does not happen to every bow that is dry fired

X2.........same thing happened to me. worked for a while, then limbs fell apart.

NovemberBravo
12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
ambush its a pse stinger 3g. I dont think I have had it for a month. I am heading out to prince george soon. Anyone know any shops there? I am im the lower mainland so if I can fix it before pg I will probably go to boorman archery.

P.S.
Hbc on a phone is very annoying

Thanks everyone
NB

Dutch Ppoacher
12-27-2012, 10:01 AM
i'd say she just bought a bow!!!!! go collect some cash and drop off her misfurtune.
you said you told them the right way! no reasonable person would refuse to correct their mistake! go get your cash and get a new bow! like yours was before the f@#$up
DP

NovemberBravo
12-27-2012, 10:08 AM
i'd say she just bought a bow!!!!! go collect some cash and drop off her misfurtune.
you said you told them the right way! no reasonable person would refuse to correct their mistake! go get your cash and get a new bow! like yours was before the f@#$up
DP
They are willing to correct their mistake but we are still friends and the bow is brand new so might as well fix it in the cheapest way possible.
NB

Vader
12-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Nice to look at... precious to hold... if you break it... consider it sold! Comes to mind.

PSE fairly robust there are still things that can be less than obvious. Cam axles are one not mentioned, cams can be tweaked, limbs definitely, Riser most likey ok but should be checked.

The whole set of strings need replacing. You are looking close to $200 by the time everything is back as it should be. Stringset $125 and labor

Bowzone_Mikey
12-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Boorman in new west is where i would take it ....If your comming up to PG ... I know that Ted at T&F is an expert at fixing messed up PSEs... everytime I am in his shop there is at least 2 or 3 messed up PSEs that he has gotta order new limbs and cams for

NovemberBravo
12-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone. I will take it to boorman if I get the chance and if not I will go to t&f

NB

KTownKiller
12-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Send her the bill, and put an apple on her head for target practise!:mrgreen:

Lozzie
12-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Take a magnifying glass to the limbs and check for hairline cracks. My PSE Brute wasn't misfired but virtually the same result, the limbs were replaced on warranty (Thank God) but you don't want to take a chance have it checked out and set back properly and never let an amateur touch it again.