PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep, Caribou combo hunt advice

spear
12-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Hey guys, starting the planning for a 10 day 2013 stone sheep trip. there are four of us going, Myself and my wife, and another husband and wife.
We are hoping to hunt stone sheep somewhere that its legal to shoot caribou, moose, elk or other species.

Definitely open to jet boating for access, however I have no idea what the costs run for these?? Anyone recently book one of these hunts?
Any suggestions would be great. We are all willing to hike 2+ days just to reach a hunting area but we are limited to about 12 days total including travel from Region 8.

Are there any areas accesible by foot that offer decent oppurtunity for multiple species, including stone sheep?

ElectricDyck
12-26-2012, 08:24 PM
I've never been to the cassiar side but 2 days hiking will get you into some nice country off the alaskan hwy, just pick a horse/hiking trail through or to the mountains and start walking.....lots of info on locations on here if you search...

Jim Prawn
12-26-2012, 10:31 PM
My advice would be to pick a species and focus on that. Getting side tracked can ruin your whole hunt.
JP

BCbillies
12-26-2012, 11:23 PM
My advice would be to pick a species and focus on that. Getting side tracked can ruin your whole hunt.
JP

x2 . . . 10 days for Stones only is decent. IMHO if you have all those other tags you'll likely see few sheep!

spear
12-26-2012, 11:54 PM
I'll take that advice guys thanks.
Any tips on cooling down meat in the early season? We plan on having a yeti cooler back at the truck with lots of ice but keeping it cool on the trip out seems daunting

BCrams
12-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Like some have mentioned, with 10 days - if you want stone's sheep, you're best to focus on stone's for that duration. I wouldn't say having other tags would 'ruin' a hunt per se but shooting other big game or chasing after them can and will end the pursuit of sheep pretty quick.

BCbillies
12-27-2012, 01:03 AM
I'll take that advice guys thanks.
Any tips on cooling down meat in the early season? We plan on having a yeti cooler back at the truck with lots of ice but keeping it cool on the trip out seems daunting

Find snow or use the coolness of a creek. Have had animals get into our meat in snow so we now prefer to cool the meat and place in small durable plastic bags, seal and totally submerse in a creek (no water in bags). Have done this for a week and meat was all good. Even with a two day hike out the meat stayed plenty cool in the bags.

Apolonius
12-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Hiking for a first time hunt for sheep it would be hard.You are not desperate enough yet to go the extra mile.You will be desperate enough after two or three trips.Flying in would be my first choice.Give a call to Urs and find some info for some lakes.Jetting with Kevin it would take you closer to succes but more money.Give up the idea of multi species.My self i dont even buy other tags as it would be a distraction.And final suggestion....the ladies will enjoy the flight more than the jet.And you can have a nicer camp on the lake .Good luck.

Rackmastr
12-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Just reading this thread has got me excited to start planning a 2013 Stone's sheep trip!!! Being able to carry a Sheep tag this year up north will be magical!! I've been scouring maps, looking at pictures, trying to get as much intel as possible for my choice. I'd really like a fly-in if we can find something that works, but man I'm excited!!!

Good luck with the decisions. I agree that you should concentrate on sheep if thats your goal. I have a mixed game trip planned the next year with caribou at the top of that list...but this year I'd really like to concentrate on SHEEP!

Now....to find a spot....haha

moose2
12-27-2012, 08:44 PM
I am not sure if you remember this thread, but it has a lot of good info on it. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?54311-Stone-s-sheep-hunting-locations&highlight=stone+sheep+hunting+spots good luck on your plans. Like others have said if stones are your main target go for them. Planning a trip before any thing else is open is a great way to focus on them. However if you you just want a mountain trip and don't really care what you are chasing, go later and take tags for all the species that are open. Also a later hunt will allow you try for an LEH for grizzly.
Mike

Everett
12-27-2012, 09:14 PM
We usualy target Caribou and Moose and buy sheep tags just in case. If I was serious about getting a sheep I would fly into the center of the Muskwa on one of the well known sheep lakes and walk for a couple days and not bother with other big game. If Caribou was my target with sheep secondary I would hit some of the lakes near Dease Lake. Moose you only shoot if they are standing next to the lake and you have a boat.:-D
If you want the names of some Caribou lakes that have a few sheep near by PM me.