PDA

View Full Version : 1oz loads and ducks?

Sasqman
12-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey guys, Merry Christmas!,

Quick question, My sister-in-law in shooting a Mossberg 500 Bantam 12ga. She is experiencing recoil that is leaving her shoulder in pain. Last weekend she was shooting Winchester BS 3" #2 1 1/4. What are the best options for shells for her to get the recoil down, but also still be able to take down ducks? We are gonna go and get her a recoil pad she can put under her clothes for her shoulder as a start, but I am curious if lighter loads or shell size could also help with the situation.

Thanks,

Paul

olddog1958
12-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Hi and a Merry Christmas to you too!
Not sure what she has on that 500 now for a recoil pad but one like a "Limbsaver" or similar will go a long way toward fixing the recoil issue. Also, make sure she is mounting the gun correctly on her shoulder. There are lots of good 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 oz loads out there that are more than sufficient for killing ducks. I've shot the Winchester 1oz loads in the past for ducks and they have been fine.....just understand they have limitations and don't try stretching your shots with them. Good Luck, J

gerrygoat
12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
I used 1 oz steel loads in the past with #2,3 and 4's for ducks and they worked fine. Find a load that patterns well and you should be good to go.

Ian F.
12-27-2012, 09:16 AM
how big is she? 12 ga bantam is probabky whomping her. also needs to fit, most important. there are lots of ducks unable to complain about 7/8's oz out of my 20ga.

simple tests, hold the gun with the stock in the crook of your arm, trigger shouk be right around your firt knuckle on the triggger finger. test 2, mou t the gun, your nose and your thumb (grippping the stock) should be about 1" apart.

lastly, cheap shells tend to whomp more then premium.

Ian F.
12-27-2012, 09:17 AM
damn samsung.....pm me if you want, have played this game with my wife and daughter

very best,

ian

Foxton Gundogs
12-27-2012, 12:48 PM
how big is she? 12 ga bantam is probabky whomping her. also needs to fit, most important. there are lots of ducks unable to complain about 7/8's oz out of my 20ga.

simple tests, hold the gun with the stock in the crook of your arm, trigger shouk be right around your firt knuckle on the triggger finger. test 2, mou t the gun, your nose and your thumb (grippping the stock) should be about 1" apart.

lastly, cheap shells tend to whomp more then premium.

# 1..... BE SURE THE GUN FITS.....just because its a youth gun doesnt guarantee it will fit a smaller woman. Find a gunsmith or someone who knows and is experienced and have the fir checked. A lot of factors come into play other than LOP drop, offset etc. If she is "scrinching" around to try to pick up the line of sight she is not setteling the stock properly = OUCH:cry:.

#2 a good Limbsaver pad there are other brands but I am partial to the Limbsaver.

#3 go to a 2.75 "3 shell just because a gun CAN shoot a 3.5 or 3" shell doesn't mean it has to.

All these will help but Fit is the most important by far

Sasqman
12-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks for all the help guys,

She is 5' 8", about 135lbs. She has just the stock pad that came with the gun. I have also been looking on youtube and found some great videos
on proper sizing, making sure she is shooting with the corect domminent eye...........etc

But please keep any info coming. This site has been great for me.
The knowlage and wealth of info from all the members is great....................and the openness to share is info is awesome.

Thanks again guys

Paul

KTownKiller
12-27-2012, 04:10 PM
My daughter is 5'6", 120lbs. She is shooting an 870 12 ga. On some good advice I got, I cut down the wood stock and put a slip-on Limbsaver pad on it. These are the softest pads we could find. She can handle 3" mag loads of 00 buckshot, allthough not enjoyable. After shooting those, she says even my goose medicine (3" mag. BB) feels easy with no pain. I didn't force her to do this and I worked her up to it slowly starting with target loads. We hunt sometimes for muley bucks where we have to use shotguns, and she says it would be worth the recoil to take one. We looked at the shoulder pads also, but my daughter didn't like how bulky they are.
Happy New Year

Duckman
12-29-2012, 12:43 AM
2.75" 1oz steel loads in #2 are scarce but can occasionally be found e.g. Federal Speed-shok Waterfowl Load (blue box).

Your idea of a strap-on recoil pad is worth trying too. I like the "Past Recoil Shield"-Google it or they are also available at certain big box hunting stores (that are not HBC sponsors).

FirePower
12-29-2012, 10:20 AM
I do not feel there is any reason to restrict her to a 1 oz. load. As previously suggested fit is everything. My lovely wife is about the same size, 5'9" and 125lbs. she shoots a number of 12 bores, and shells up to and including the new 3 1/2" 1600+fps Kents. with no trouble. However shotguns have all been custom fitted. As for shells 2 3/4" mau be the ticket but a standard 1 1/8-1 1/4 should be fine if the gun fits and has a decent recoil pad, hers are all Limbsaver grind to fit.

bogman
12-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Some great advice here as far as gun fit goes as this is a key element to less felt recoil. That being said I shot my reloaded 1oz #2's at ducks for years with exelant results so don't discount 1 oz loads. Try to get them in at least 1550 fps and you will have no problems killing ducks

Foxton Gundogs
12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
I think the point is being missed with the shot weight issue. The main factor of recoil from the shells perspective (or so I've always been told) is velosity. ie a 1oz load being pushed at 1550 will have as much or more felt recoil as a 1.25 oz load being pushed at say 1400 fps. So imo you would be better off shooting 1.25 oz 1400s than 1550 1oz for not only the felt recoul factor but also as a new shooter putting more pellets in the pattern.
Here's an interesting link I found on recoil. I'm not saying its gospel but it does bear out what I have always been told.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil.htm

Sasqman
01-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. We went hunting on sunday and put a dozen or so rounds through her gun and she felt great after. We ending up going with a limbsaver that slips over top, but I think I will go buy her the one that permanently attaches to get the stock back down to the length that fits her. We also used federal 1 1/16oz loads and seemed great. Now we just need to work on our aim so we can actually bring back some ducks. :neutral:

Paul

KTownKiller
01-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Gotta love those Limbsavers.:) Can the stock just be cut down a bit?

Sasqman
01-04-2013, 10:02 PM
I went with the "Precision Fit" Limbsaver. Took the other back. The install was fairly easy. Took about a half hour and two beers, and the length is back to the original............ so she is happy!

Dutch
01-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Just a side note I shoot a 20 gauge at ducks when geese are closed 7/8 .oz. steel through a browning 20 auto,actually shoot it better than my beretta as it is lighter the muzzle jump is significantly less as is the recoil. Only mod. is a wad wizard extended choke,kills everything dead dead.:) And bogman shoots AT ducks,the filling the bag limit is another story...

bogman
01-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Just a side note I shoot a 20 gauge at ducks when geese are closed 7/8 .oz. steel through a browning 20 auto,actually shoot it better than my beretta as it is lighter the muzzle jump is significantly less as is the recoil. Only mod. is a wad wizard extended choke,kills everything dead dead.:) And bogman shoots AT ducks,the filling the bag limit is another story...

And I was going to invite you up for the next goose slaughter , now , not so much. Well maybe, bring the 20 we'll see how you do