PDA

View Full Version : Favourite memory this year

solo
12-26-2012, 12:45 AM
What was your favourite memory from this year?
Mine was after my 17 year old son shot a deer and we trailed for almost four hours. It was after 11:00pm by then, and we were tired. There were four of us, two (eager) fifteen year old girls, my son and I. We hiked back to the truck and made our way back to base camp at Little Horse Lodge on Green Lake. The owners were feeding the rest of my group pizza and appies! (We recovered the buck early the next morning).
Let's hear your favourite moments from this season!

Tuffcity
12-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Probably the bear my wife shot this spring. It was her first, and she took it with a muzzle loader at about 25-30 yds. She was by herself at dusk and the recap of what happened after I met up with her just before dark was priceless.

Her eyes were still wide and the first words she said after I asked if it was her who shot were "it was coming straight at me and it's f&*#ing huge!

I found the blackie a short time later and it did suffer a bit of ground shrinkage.:) Her comment, "that's not mine!" We still laugh about that.

RC

Gateholio
12-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Without a doubt it was helping my buddy get into hunting and shooting, and having my 2 best friends there for a successful moose hunt. :)

biggyun68
12-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Finally - Seeing the sun rise under blue sky on the Gulf Islands after 3 days of torrential rain and after hunting off and on since 1996 - taking my first deer on a solo hunt.
Making a good friend and meeting a new one
Going on my first moose hunt and ...
Going on my first hunt with my kids and they talking about their next hunt...
The best season yet!

leadpillproductions
12-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Taking my 10 yr old son getting his first animal. ,nice black bear. Seeing the smile on his face. I would trade that for anything. Proudest moment of my life

swampthing
12-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Watching my 16 year old son on our goat backpack hunt. He fits into the mountains with ease and the passion to hunt oozes out of him with each step he takes. His never say never upbeat attitude and constant smile let me know I did a great job with him.

Cyrus
12-26-2012, 07:36 AM
My girlfriend shooting her 1st buck (3 point) with her new Tikka T3 7mm-08 at a 100 yards. She loves to shoot (and is vey good) and is now an official hunter!! I also nailed my biggest buck of my life a few days (big wide and high 4 pt) later but it ranks second.

ROM
12-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Watching my dad make an amazing shot after a 6 year dry spell.

pronghorn
12-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Watching my wife take her first whitetail buck and her biggest to date archery mule deer.

kevan
12-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Mine was spending a week with my Son and my two wonderful Grandsons on a group Moose hunt.
We worked very hard and Thanks to everyones efforts and a chat with S Rupp prior to the trip we came home with meat.
My youngest Grandson dropped a nice young Bull with one shot @ 348 yds from his 300 WSM.
The weather was great and we had a lot of fun, the hard work was well worth it.
This will always be a wonderful memory for me as this might be the last time my health allows me to hunt.

325 wsm
12-26-2012, 09:37 AM
best hunting memories
having to measure a grizzly skull twice because I thought I was way off the first time and the second time it still comes to 26 3/4
oh and 5 days chasing the 170 dall ram another hunter got about 2 weeks earlier.
finding out the grizzly is over 1" bigger than anything entered in B&C from the Yukon and will end up being tied for about 4th or 5th largest ever hunted in Canada

frenchbar
12-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Got to go on a sept heli ride for 45 min and flew over ranges ive hunted for the last 35 yrs ..was cool looking down on a lot of spots ive sat and walked and harvested mule deer..memorys galore in a short ride ..was very cool .

swamper
12-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I took my wife along on my first field hunt of the year for ducks and geese. Although she doesn't hunter herself she wanted to come along. We were still putting gear into the hayhouse blind from the truck when the ducks started dropping into the dekes. She was amazed when the shooting started. We had ducks flying so close past the front of the blind that I probably could have hit them with a stick. She thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and the look on her face was priceless. Limited out in mallards in just over an hour. Great experience for both of us.

Ron.C
12-26-2012, 09:54 AM
I have tons of great memories from this past season, but my favourite one has to be the look on my hunting buddy' face when he took his first ever elk.

dana
12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Best memory this year would have to be watching my daughter drop her first muley buck on opening day of youth season.

Morel
12-26-2012, 05:01 PM
For hunting, it was spending a couple of great weekends in the bush even though there were no deer we got within 7m or so of a black wolf that was stalking the elk heard we found.

MRP
12-26-2012, 05:42 PM
happy boy

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/boys_moose.JPG

250 sav
12-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Taking my 13 year old son to the peace agriculture zone in August for moose during the any bull season and him shooting his second bull moose of his life 500 meters from where he got his first bull last year.

nap
12-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Still thinking!! Sure seem to be lots to choose from!

BlacktailStalker
12-26-2012, 09:25 PM
I can't choose one.

1. Watching my other half drop her first buck while I was holding my boy behind her.
2. First bobcat with my first (original) pair of hounds.
3. Taking a good friend out and him getting a good buck.
4. Harvesting another book blacktail.
5. After over 10 years finally deciding to take what ended up being a well into the book spring black bear (dusted off the bow, that was fun)
6. Countless game encounters and awesome photos, some of the best times year after year.

Badlands62
12-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Taking my 11 year old daughter out hunting, she wanted to get a deer but maybe next year. Also watching 2 cougars fighting in a cutblocks but only able to catch the last bit on video.

northcoastfun
12-26-2012, 11:16 PM
walking up to my first stone ram

brazen
12-27-2012, 01:50 AM
having a snowball fight with a little dog i love up the mountains last grouse day, heck with grouse, we both decided, and better for it. came home with a squirrel

hunter1947
12-27-2012, 05:57 AM
#1 Me helping others out that to me is always tops...
#2 For me hearing about Blacktailstakers wife getting her first island deer it was a very decent buck

Rich_D
12-27-2012, 09:34 AM
My favorite memory this season was dropping my first deer. What a rush that was.

2nd fav was dropping a WT doe 5 days later.

Mugger
12-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Favorite was taking my 14 yr old daughter on her first moose hunt we called in several mature grunting Bulls she was very excited. She could not get a shot at the bull we harvested so she passed me the rifle to make a shot through heavy scrub. She loved the whole exsperience hauling moose quarters out at 1am under the moon light and stars. I hope she will join me again.

3kills
12-27-2012, 02:26 PM
watching my 12 daughter harvest her very first animal. can wait till she take a bigger buck them me! she is striving for it now that i shot two 4 points this year.

just hunt
12-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Taking my 21 year old step daughter and her mom sheep hunting walking her ass off for 14 days and her look at at me when we were heading home and saying she couldn't wait to go again. i think she's hooked.

Ourea
12-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Would have to say it was watching this beast of a grizzly walk out below me.
He waddled his way out to the creek and laid in it for a bit to cool off.
10 minutes later he was on his way.
I have seen enough grizzlies to fully appreciate what a gorgeous bear he is.

Sitting in camp that night I asked my partner to pick one word that would sum up what the experience and what it meant.

His answer ......... ........."priviledged"

.......and yes, there's pics.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/griz3.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/griz2.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/griz1.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/griz5.jpg

3kills
12-27-2012, 04:21 PM
love the pics! looks like he is lookin at the creek ans thinkin dam i gotta find a bigger swimming hole LOL

Wrayzer
12-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Has to be a few things, birth of first child (middle of elk season), Having our crew call in or get within 40 yards of 5 different region 8 bull elk, calling one into less than 10 yards and getting it on film as well as his 8 cows. Nothing in the freezer, but one of the best experiences of my hunting "career".
As people say on here the gnarley, thicker, nastier the terrain and bush, you will find the elk, keeping it in mind and expolring the darker thicker and deeper spots away from the typical elk holes in the area, will make for a great 2013 scouting and hunting season.

kodeman
12-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Best hunting moment I have ever had was watching my 10 year old boy shoot his first deer.

hunter1947
12-30-2012, 03:12 AM
My good friend Joel getting his first 6x6 bull elk that was one of my highlights of the 2012 hunting memory moments..

Stone Sheep Steve
12-30-2012, 08:27 AM
First shared big ame animal with my daughter(spring bear) and then spending some time in the blind with her for the last weekend of whitetail season when she finally turned 10.

SSS

Mugger
12-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Great to see so many giving there daughters a chance, My hunting partners were a little sceptical at first I even said I would camp down the road. They came around and later praised her determination. The guys all assisted with teaching and mentoring her during the hunt, It worked out great. Still nice to just hunt with the guys a bit.

Citori54
12-30-2012, 09:57 AM
We won the lottery this year.........five of us were successful in getting LEH moose draws. Four of us have been hunting the area for years, but one of the guys is a novice hunter and this was his first moose hunt. Five minutes in the first morning he connects on a beautiful tri-palm bull. He was pumped and it was great to be there to witness his excitement.

Rackmastr
01-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Favorite memory this year....can I have two??

The birth of my 2nd daughter. Was 10 weeks early (Jul 28 when due Oct 6) so it was a HUGE shocker, big life change and a full months spent in Vancouver visiting the hospital daily a number of times, spending it in a hotel room with our other daughter, etc. Big shock and a mix of emotions of uncertainty, happiness, and stress!! In the end, it all worked out and we have a SUPER healthy baby girl!!

Second greatest memory of the year was spending some time outdoors with my oldest daughter!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_0623.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_0641.jpg

Moose63
01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Hunting with my father and my son for our first three generation hunt. Didn't bag anything (son came close), but that's OK.

moosinaround
01-01-2013, 01:04 PM
My son Minimoosin getting his first Kill, a nice sausage blackie, and sharing the experience with 2 of my best buds Brett and NoahDawg! Seeing a new to the north hunter Carnivore King experience a wicked first hunting season up in region 7, he was like a kid in a candy store, didn't know what to hunt or where to go first, was neat to experience, and a new friendship too. Spent a lot of time around a fire or in the truck with many passionate and dedicated sportsmen and women this season. The capper of the season was my sister getting her first big game kill, her LEH elk, and her making a wonderful shot on it. My dad was beaming watching his daughter, son, and grandson come back to the truck with our bounty! I love this sport, it is entrenched into my families blood, and I am such a lucky fellow to share it with so many fine friends and family! Moosin

takla1
01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
dropping my biggest black-tail{4pnt} to date.we know there in our spot but its usually spikes,two's,three's.Catching him at first light with his four girlfriends and the eye to eye we had before i pulled the trigger i wont ever forget

40incher
01-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Hunting and fishing with my kids and grandkids on as many days as we could get out. Success is secondary but is all part of the whole exercise. Highlights for 2012 were my son's B&C grizz in May, two bull moose and two mulie bucks in the freezer that involved my wife, son and youngest daughter, and many trout and char dinners thanks to three very eager up-and-comers of the next generation.

It's all good!!

The Dawg
01-01-2013, 06:46 PM
The birth of my first child, a beautiful and healthy little girl

Hunting wise, was being there for Minimoosin's first big game kill- a nice scarred up old Blackie boar

And getting the whole process from the shot to recovery on video.

HarryToolips
01-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Mine was shootin a black bear that was in our hunting camp after he ate all our steaks and bacon! All I saw was the eyes at night aimed for right the middle and sent him to bear heaven..That's what SOB's get for eatin all my steak and bacon..

lovemywinchester
01-01-2013, 07:55 PM
I had lots of great times this fall. Remember the opening day snow storm in Reg 3? My whitetail hunts were the best times for me. Three fun hunts combined are all very special memories. Two bucks for me and one for my friend. All bucks were shot at very close range in thick bush and I rattled in the last one which I replay over and over in my head. Great memories.
I also had a bad experience with a good buddy that started hunting this year. He missed a wt doe which would have been his first deer. He blamed me and procceeded to have a meltdown and huge hissy fit. From a 48 year old man! Swore and cussed the whole ride home. We haven't spoken since Oct. A bad experience but not bad enough to wipe the smile off from all the other good times I had!!

The Hermit
01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
2012 Highlights

1) No question the highlight of the year (in fact this ranks among the top three hunting days ever for me) was spending the day hounding for cougar... treeing a couple, and taking a nice tom with my longbow.

2) Stalking to 10 meters on one of the biggest black bears I've ever seen and unfortunately watching him bolt and leap off the road into a clear cut and away before I could fling... and later that day having a mid-size bear run 300 meters across a clear cut away (we think) from a very big bear (see above) and jump up onto the road ten feet from Ron who was at full draw waiting for him! Couldn't believe he passed on that opportunity!

3) Getting cataract surgery and foregoing most of the fall season in hopes of hunting without glasses for the rest of my days!

2013 Wishes

After 6 years of archery elk hunting in the EK early season I would really like to connect this year, hell I'd even like to get to fling at one!! I not, so what...

Would love to get another moose tag... my three years on the reduced odds pool is up so slightly more hopeful but VERY concerned about the populations!

landphil
01-01-2013, 08:37 PM
My favourite hunting moments were these two, hunting with me older son, watching a sow blackie with two cubs here:
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/landphilsite/100_0611_zpscaa6eda0.jpg

with my son and nephew here:
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/landphilsite/100_0620_zpsf5eca94e.jpg

My favourite outdoor moment was catching this guy. Fishing a small lake in the tube one nice calm summer evening, watching a big ol' heron fishing, moon rising, light fading, and catching my biggest 'bow on a fly yet, it'll be hard to forget. left my camera at home that day, unfortunately.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/landphilsite/100_0593_zpsa9d5ff79.jpg

Favourite family times were camping at Halcyon hot springs easter weekend, and tent camping at Clearwater Lk 2nd week in September. The boys were troopers even on the cold mornings

Deeboe
01-01-2013, 09:10 PM
The birth of my son was my favourite memory not just this year but of my whole life... In looking forward to raising him in the ways of the woods. He's 11 months now and already gets excited when he sees my quad.

bosca
01-02-2013, 01:27 AM
After harvesting a nice 4 point about 3K up a steep mountainside my dad (82 years old) and I were hauling the deer over some pretty rough terrain...me'with a shoulder harness system around one antler and him with some rope around the other.As we pulled it seemed we were both pulling in opposite directions and seemed to be working against each other (I out weigh my dad by about 80lbs).... Suddenly dad throws his arm around my shoulder and tells me put mine around his and pull...all of a sudden the pulling got much easier and we settled into a good rythim. We had the buck off the mountain and skinned out in less than two hours. Dad said that he thought of the old country and how the bulls they used to pull the plows would lean into each other when they were under to heavy a load...
Thinking back on that moment it was like a metaphor for our relationship over the years...we finally figured it out...Better late than never:)
I will always remember that day..

hunter1947
01-02-2013, 02:59 AM
My favourite hunting moments were these two, hunting with me older son, watching a sow blackie with two cubs here:
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/landphilsite/100_0611_zpscaa6eda0.jpg

with my son and nephew here:
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/landphilsite/100_0620_zpsf5eca94e.jpg

My favourite outdoor moment was catching this guy. Fishing a small lake in the tube one nice calm summer evening, watching a big ol' heron fishing, moon rising, light fading, and catching my biggest 'bow on a fly yet, it'll be hard to forget. left my camera at home that day, unfortunately.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/landphilsite/100_0593_zpsa9d5ff79.jpg

Favourite family times were camping at Halcyon hot springs easter weekend, and tent camping at Clearwater Lk 2nd week in September. The boys were troopers even on the cold mornings

I like fantastic picture of the two boys along side dad..

vip_ruger
01-02-2013, 06:57 AM
My best memory is a toss up having my 6/7 year old girl with me for my 50 inch moose or on my grizzly bear this spring I would have to say grizzly because it was only 75 yards and she was pretty excited when I shot it and her getting right in there to helpe skin priceless

The Silent Stalker
01-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Being with one of my best friends when he got his first deer this season, been working on him for a couple years, now he's one of us through and through., Second was sitting on a hill drinking a coffee(I'd been hiking hard and needed a break) and spotting a Lynx. Sat and watched him for 20 minutes, beautiful animal, then 5 minutes after I started moving I walking into a 7' grizzly and at one point was a mere 25yrds from him. It took two days to wipe the smile off my face at camp. This was the first trip of the season so I was really stoked, I effing love what we do!

landphil
01-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Seems to be a theme here, with the new / up-and-coming hunters. It really is one of the best things we can do for hunting.

longstonec
01-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Every day is my favourite

swampdonkey
01-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Hunting with my dad again . Having both my boys with me when I shot my deer this year . Shooting my leh bull with great family and freinds there .

Black Bird
01-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Getting the word that my hunting partner of a few years and friend of 40 had just harvested his first deer. The only kicker was that I wasn't there to see it first hand.

Darksith
01-04-2013, 11:00 AM
definitely have to say it was watching my buddy go for a swim in a nasty little pond when it wasn't very warm out to hook onto his first moose. Something both of us will never forget for sure.

albravo2
01-04-2013, 10:21 PM
This was my first real year of hunting. A few highlights were watching my 13 yr old son shoot his first grouse with one perfect shot from his bow, watching the sun rise over the Squamish River from our log-pile deer blind and many great fireside nights with friends and family. A few grouse represented out entire contribution to the freezer this year but we are already making plans for next year.

Without trying to sound too corny, finding and joining HBC was also a highlight. I'm very grateful that so many people choose this outlet to share their passion and knowledge. I have learned a ton here. My son is also a member and watching his posts also gives me a chance to check his spelling and grammar. Sure beats checking homework;-)

NovemberBravo
01-04-2013, 11:05 PM
This was my first real year of hunting. A few highlights were watching my 13 yr old son shoot his first grouse with one perfect shot from his bow, watching the sun rise over the Squamish River from our log-pile deer blind and many great fireside nights with friends and family. A few grouse represented out entire contribution to the freezer this year but we are already making plans for next year.

Without trying to sound too corny, finding and joining HBC was also a highlight. I'm very grateful that so many people choose this outlet to share their passion and knowledge. I have learned a ton here. My son is also a member and watching his posts also gives me a chance to check his spelling and grammar. Sure beats checking homework;-)

Ya it sure does beat you checking my homework although it does get pretty annoying:wink:.

Beard
01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
1. I got to get out with my father and grandfather this year for the first time. All 3 of us jammed in that little ranger on the way up the mountain and stories of past hunts made that my best experience this season. Had been been out with each separate but never together. looking forward to doing it again next season!

2. took out a new waterfowler and got into a buncha birds definitely a rewarding feeling. Now I have a new hunting buddy for mid week hunts when we can escape work

One Shot
01-05-2013, 01:30 AM
1 - Taking my Grandson for 10 days on a succesful Bison hunt showing and teaching him as much as possible while we were out there. Seeing the pleasure on his face each day regardless of the weather or the time of day.

2 - Seeing the joy and proudness on his face Christmas morning when he opened a box for a Remington 700 in .308.

3 - The joy on the wife's face when the boys showed up for Christmas dinner at Great Nanna's.

moose2
01-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Being on a solo sheep/goat trip and shooting a boone and crockett moose which I packed for 3.5 days.
Also a four day late fall elk hunt with good buddies.
Mike

Alpineguy
01-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Coming to BC on a hunter host permit and harvesting a Billy goat. This was the most physically challenging hunt I have ever been on.

Call of the Wild
01-08-2013, 03:25 AM
I'm not ready to forget this past hunting season. I finally harvested my first stone sheep and putting down a nice mature and dark colour grizzly on a solo hunt was simple amazing and that hunting trip is the best trip I've done in my life by far!!!

Doing a remote solo sheep hunt in August in tough conditions was fun. Also I keep thinking of the big elk I passed in September hopping to find bigger.

01-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Waking up in Hospital after Brain surgery seeing my lovely wife and 2 girls at the end of my bed .......... way cool ...... knowing I'll go a huntin again !

CT

Salmon Belly
01-08-2013, 09:20 AM
1. first trip way up north into the Muskwa Kechika with my hunting partner, Onpoint, hearing his rifle sound off and coming home with a giant 7x6 bull. Our first elk and best meat we've ever had.

2. opening gift from my wife on xmas and seeing it was archery lessons (never bow hunted before).

3. last, but most incredible, learning our daughter will welcome a baby brother into the world in May. Wow.

SB