PDA

View Full Version : Bow hunting Migratory Game Birds

treehugger
12-24-2012, 02:27 PM
I've had a little confusion regarding hunting migratory game birds with a compound bow. In my latest search it states on the Environment Canada website that:

Question: Is it legal to use a compound bow for hunting waterfowl?
Answer: Yes, in Canada, a compound or recurve bow may be used to hunt migratory game birds.

The confusion was around 'single projectile' but this seems pretty clear that there's an exception to an arrow. I was wondering if anyone out there hunts ducks and specifically geese with a bow? What tips do you use? blunts? snaro? turkey guillotine or judo? It's a bit late now (especially since my bow is down) but I thought it might be fun next season.

Riverbc
12-24-2012, 07:41 PM
I watched an episode of Heartland Bowhunter a while back. They were calling Canada Geese into their decoys, and then shooting them after they had landed in the decoys. It appeared they were using fixed broadheads. Here's a clip from that episode. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQRehmt36so and yes...you can see in at least one of the archers is using a fixed blade.

dellis
12-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Ducks and geese are tough. Use a broadhead.........cheap tough resharpenable heads like magnus snuffers or two blades. Use them dull and with the points dubbed off if you are hunting with dogs........sharp is better otherwise.
Perfectly legal to hunt waterfowl with recurve, longbow or compound, but not with a crossbow.
Darcy

CSG
12-24-2012, 08:14 PM
this is some impressive bird hunting with a bow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnWShqBLMpk

uraarchr
12-24-2012, 09:48 PM
does the waterfowl have to be in the air when you arrow it?or can you arrow them on the ground?

Riverbc
12-25-2012, 08:53 AM
let them land. You'll have more success at hitting them and retrieving your arrows.

uraarchr
12-25-2012, 10:52 AM
4 some reason I had it in my head that waterfowl has to be 5 or 6 ft above ground when you shoot it.ive never hunted waterfowl b4

limit time
12-25-2012, 01:37 PM
4 some reason I had it in my head that waterfowl has to be 5 or 6 ft above ground when you shoot it.ive never hunted waterfowl b4

they can be on the ground.

treehugger
12-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Ducks and geese are tough. Use a broadhead.........cheap tough resharpenable heads like magnus snuffers or two blades. Use them dull and with the points dubbed off if you are hunting with dogs........sharp is better otherwise.
Perfectly legal to hunt waterfowl with recurve, longbow or compound, but not with a crossbow.
Darcy

Darcy, do you mean tricky-tough or physically hard to knock down with an arrow-tough. Do you reckon a small game tip or a snaro wouldn't be enough to take them?

BiG Boar
12-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Google floo floo arrows. That's the ticket. Take em in the air. I think I'll try it. Anyone know which type of floo floos are best?

Weatherby Fan
12-25-2012, 04:20 PM
let them land. You'll have more success at hitting them and retrieving your arrows.

Nevermind the arrows,I let them land first using the shotgun.........my success rate went up a 100% once I did that :mrgreen:

Lozzie
12-26-2012, 05:17 PM
I might have to give it a try with some cheap broad heads, although I have heard of Geese that were tough enough to fly away with the arrow stuck in them. I don't know if it would be worse to lose the arrow or to find it (on the front page of the Times Columnist).

Wild one
12-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Done it a few times old broadheads are the way to go.

Geese don't fly off with arrows if you hit them right but if you gut shoot them yes they can fly off

dellis
12-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Darcy, do you mean tricky-tough or physically hard to knock down with an arrow-tough. Do you reckon a small game tip or a snaro wouldn't be enough to take them?
I mean they will prove more durable than you would expect. I would use a broadhead.
Darcy

fowlweather
12-26-2012, 09:47 PM
I've seen the news stories on youtube of geese running around in parks with arrows stuck in their breasts, so there is some rick involved with this type of hunt. I've always wanted to try using a bow and might this spring. I don't own a bow or have much but if I had to choose a arrow head I would look for the Turkey Guillotine and aim for the long neck and make it a quick and guaranteed death, end it right there on the ground. I don't have any aspiration to hit them in the air due to the whole "what goes up" part of it and I can't trust myself. I know Tanya and shotgunjohn have tried the whole flu flu arrows thing and I can't remember if they were going for waterfowl or if they had any success. I'd only do it for geese personally. Best of luck, be smart.
http://www.bowhunting.net/shows/NWTF/2004/Images/Gobbler-Guilatene-Closeup.jpg

stonepoint
12-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Be careful around the water too. Needing a snorkel in order to retrieve your arrows really puts a damper on the day!

hawk-i
12-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Years ago I used the snaro type head with FluFlu's ... only managed to get two mallards when flying, it killed one and broke the wing on the other....Your arrow will not go far with flu-flu's and with bright colours they aren't that hard to find but you do have to think out your shooting site.
Have fun!

J_T
01-01-2013, 09:57 AM
We hunt lots of birds with bows. Broad heads only. A flying bird is pretty tough to hit. Odds are you will get glancing hits, you will get pass throughs were the bird flies away and you will have birds fly off with an arrow stuck and dangling inappropriately from it's body.

Wild one
01-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Be careful around the water too. Needing a snorkel in order to retrieve your arrows really puts a damper on the day!

Most arrows float :razz:

greybark
01-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Most arrows float :razz:

Woods and alum definitly float and reason that carbon would do the same ...
Cheers

Wild one
01-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Woods and alum definitly float and reason that carbon would do the same ...
Cheers

Carbons float as well but fish arrows do sink and that is why I said most :mrgreen:

stonepoint
01-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Ha! Aren't I a silly blunt. Of course they would mostly float; they are a sealed hollow tubes! (I use aluminium)
Thank you, gents. After a little test of each arrow in my local pond, I think that will be taking more shots next season.
Happy New Year!

brianhogg19
01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Google floo floo arrows. That's the ticket. Take em in the air. I think I'll try it. Anyone know which type of floo floos are best?

Carbon express 45/60 are good to shoot with. They are white feathers and come set at 30". For something a little bigger i like my Easton power flight 400 grains set at 31.5", red and black feathers. For flu flu's i always shoot carbon shafts.