PDA

View Full Version : learning the arrt of tracking

grimey
12-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Hey there.
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post but wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has good experience.and skill in tracking? I don't just mean following some tracks but really tracking the animal from all the different signs.
I'm into bowhunting and would really love to learn the art of tracking and stalking from someone with lots of.experience who wants to pass.on their knowledge.
I'm in the fanny bay area near comox valley.

Tomanik2700
01-11-2013, 11:21 PM
I too would like to learn more about tracking. Thought id bump this post to maybe get some of you knowledgeable people's attention!

Big Lew
01-12-2013, 12:38 AM
You can start by observing an animal as close as you can from concealment with a good pair of binoculars. If it's a deer, watch what and how it browses, how it picks it's way through the terrain, including choosing paths. As soon as it's gone, go over and physically look at the nibbled stems etc. to see what type of food it chooses, and what the nibbled stems looks like, get down on your hands and knees and look closely into the tracks, checking how any vegetation, dirt, and track edges look, and then compare them to what they look like 15-20 minutes later. If you're able, check the same tracks again a hour later. Notice the size of the tracks in relation to the animal size. Notice how far apart the toes are on average, comparing large doe tracks to those of a buck of approximately the same size with decent headgear. if the animal pushes through brush, look very closely to see if it left any hair behind, see if you can identify any leaf disturbance, and how. Go to tracks made by a spooked and running deer. Use markers (thread or small pieces of toilet paper) and mark each and every footprint for a fair distance as it goes through various terrain, then go back and study how they were made as the deer ran through, around, and over various bush and obstacles. Try to pick out consistent characteristics of the tracks so that you can identify them among other tracks. Practicing this will help greatly if you have to track a wounded animal.

Mr. Dean
01-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Q;
What is it?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1010403_web.jpg

A;
Abominable Snowman walking his dog. :wink:

If you have passed this quiz, you're on your way to, tracking 102 :razz:

Pete
01-12-2013, 10:13 AM
There are courses that are put on thoughout the Province by the BC Trackers Assoc. Though they are geared towards lost and missing persons the skills learned apply to tracking wildlife. A good read on animal tracks is called Tracking and the Art of Seeing by Paul Rezendes.

Slinky Pickle
01-12-2013, 10:29 AM
I have "Tracking and Reading Sign" by Len McDougall for Kindle on my smart phone. It's $2.51 and it's a great read while you're sitting in the bush watching the world.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ViZywwgEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

One Shot
01-12-2013, 01:36 PM
US CBP tracking courses if you can get into one. Was put through them a few years ago by the agency I worked for back then.

Phreddy
01-12-2013, 02:45 PM
There are courses that are put on thoughout the Province by the BC Trackers Assoc. Though they are geared towards lost and missing persons the skills learned apply to tracking wildlife. A good read on animal tracks is called Tracking and the Art of Seeing by Paul Rezendes.

As Pete says, this is an excellent program that takes you through progressive stages of tracking and if you join your local search and rescue team it's free. for those living on the island there are ample opportunties to take in many sessions all over the island. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on your knees at the start. I've hunted for over 56 years and though I was pretty good at tracking until I hooked into this program and now realize I know so little, but at least now I'm learning a lot of great stuff.

Husky7mm
01-12-2013, 03:28 PM
You need a pretty open schedule if you want to track down animals in the fall, it can snow every day and change the tracks. The deaper and colder the snow the harder it is to determine if the tracks are fresh and what their unique characteristics are. When the steady snows of late october come I go everyday if I can. If I don't actually see any game at first light I start hitting the mountains from different approaches and hunting for tracks. Many bucks do not actually leave tracks where everyone is hunting but they're close..... If you know where the doe groups are then head up hill or up wind of their popular haunts and look to the security of the timber. Many bucks check these does up wind, up hill from where they are traveling up and down the mountains everyday to feed, without actually joining up with them or leaving tracks in the places that you are seeing deer in. Dont follow the trail directly for long but loop down wind of it and return to it every 100-200 yards to confirm you are still headed in the right direction. A lot of wandering without signs of feeding means he's gonna find a bed. Many wild animals make a button hook prior to bedding as to be able to wind anything that is dogging them. You have to have your gun ready at this time cause it is usually quick. He may be already looking at you right then.
Many times when tracking a person can get board, discouraged or tired and gives up or stops moving slow and cautious. Right around that time is usually right when you bump into what you thought you no longer were gonna find. Go figure..... Patience is a virtue. It could take all day!
Sun and mositure can "age" a track rather quick. Time will teach you this, also pay attention to how your tracks are "aging"

Tracking is my favourite method of hunting, but it can burn up alot of time. Carry wind checker at all times cause if your wrong with the wind your wasting you time completely. Many does can have pretty big feet, particularly mule deer. I have tracked down many a doe to find this out. Pay attention to how narrow of trees the tracks are going through, under logs or over? Scent gland stains in the bed? Tracks leading to fresh rubs, dead give away!
Once you get the snow tracking figured out you will be much more proficient and can tackle Dry, or wet ground. Learning this makes you a much more rounded hunter. I never worry about not seeing deer anymore. I hunt tracks and have seen 2-4 legal bucks per day in areas others have seen nothing in.
Good luck!

Tomanik2700
01-12-2013, 08:01 PM
very interesting! gotta get out there and try it for myself!