PDA

View Full Version : spotting scope to buy under 1200 bucks

leadpillproductions
12-23-2012, 11:39 AM
If you had to buy a spotting scope what would you buy for around the 1200 mark . I like the leupold what would u buy , for sheep huntinng

RiverOtter
12-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Not sure of exact price point, but Minox, Kowa and Meopta all put out pretty good glass, for a good bit less coin than the big 3......

KTownKiller
12-23-2012, 01:05 PM
You may want to check out a Nikon ED 50, very compact, and great for backpacking. I've read lots of great things about them on the internet. Others would be a little brighter, but a lot heavier also. You usually can't use more than 30 power anyway because of distortion (or heat waves), so why pack around all the extra weight?

eastkoot
12-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Zeiss Dialyt...Check a certain camera company from NY for best prices..

lorneparker1
12-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Vortex viper 65mm HD. Great glass for the money

Sitkaspruce
12-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Leupold (not wind river)

Cheers

SS

weed782
12-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Picked up a Pentax 20-60 x 65mm ed, this year, online from Adorama. Was at my house in 4 days for minimal cost, extra $40 or something like that. Happy with the scope. Used it on two mountain hunts this year. Fairly compact, light weight and performed well. I'm happy with it overall for the price. Right around $800 range. Put it on top of a Slik Compac tripod which is a little unsteady when raised up too high but was looking for light weight.

mod7rem
12-23-2012, 07:25 PM
I used the Pentax pf65 with various eyepieces for 3+ years on sheep, goats, etc then a couple years ago I switched to a kowa prominar 66 and it is a big difference in optical performance. I highly recommend the kowa. Right now the kowa prominar 88 is widely considered the best scope in that class.

Singleshotneeded
12-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Outdoor Life did their annual review of optics in the June/July issue and said they were totally stunned
and amazed by the $1000 Chinese Zen-Ray Zen ED2... 20-60X82 and it's the first Chinese optic ever
to win their Editor's Choice Award. 99% of the quality of the Big 3 for peanuts...

r106
12-23-2012, 08:09 PM
What are peoples opinion on the Vortex Viper? I think it was in the $850 range. The Nomad sucks

I'm also in the market for one. I'm going to watch this thread.

.330 Dakota
12-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Nikon.....I have one and it is 10 times clearer than any Leupold I"ve ever looked through

Call of the Wild
12-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Meopta or Cabela's Euro Spotting Scope which is the exact same product are excellent spotting scope. I own the Cabela's model and I compared it to a Zeiss Victory, the Victory I used was bigger but I find there isn't much a difference at very last light and past it. The Meopta is great scope for backpacking in weight, quality of image and price.

Singleshotneeded
12-24-2012, 04:18 AM
Meopta or Cabela's Euro Spotting Scope which is the exact same product are excellent spotting scope. I own the Cabela's model and I compared it to a Zeiss Victory, the Victory I used was bigger but I find there isn't much a difference at very last light and past it. The Meopta is great scope for backpacking in weight, quality of image and price.

I've got the Meopta HD binos and a couple of friends with Big 3 binos couldn't find any significant difference between
their binos and mine, so I can also vouch for Meopta quality...

ruttinbuck
12-24-2012, 07:57 AM
You may want to check out a Nikon ED 50, very compact, and great for backpacking. I've read lots of great things about them on the internet. Others would be a little brighter, but a lot heavier also. You usually can't use more than 30 power anyway because of distortion (or heat waves), so why pack around all the extra weight?
X2
Cameraland has open box spotters very well priced now and then.When I upgrade my straight 20X Leupold goldring this will be the scopeRB

TSW
12-24-2012, 08:09 AM
I've got the Meopta HD binos and a couple of friends with Big 3 binos couldn't find any significant difference between
their binos and mine, so I can also vouch for Meopta quality...

What's the warranty like on Meopta stuff?

Elkaddict
12-24-2012, 10:15 AM
I would look at the Nikon Fieldscope lll, Kowa 660 series, or Pentax PF 65 for quality optics in that price range. Of the three, I owned a Nikon Fieldscope lllED. It had excellent optics. The only reason I got rid of it was to change from a straight to angled scope.

lawlu
12-24-2012, 10:23 AM
If you can wait, the Vortex Razors in 65mm and 50mm are coming out this spring. If they are anything like the 85s, they will be one of the best bang for your bucks with an unbeatable warranty. I have a Nikon Fieldscope III (nonED) and will definitely be checking to switch these out for the ED glass and the warranty. Don't get me wrong, the Nikon is nice, but I am worried about dropping it and always want to go smaller.

Singleshotneeded
12-24-2012, 12:17 PM
What's the warranty like on Meopta stuff?

30 year transferable warranty, and Meopta stuff is solid, built like a tank...

KTownKiller
12-24-2012, 03:30 PM
If you want to get photos with your spotting scope, the scope needs to be able to have a camera attached to it. But then weight may be an issue.
The Zen-Ray or Meopta sound good, but are they compact enough for backpack hunts without horses? That's one of the best things about the Nikon ED 50, but I don't think it will take a camera. Do the Zen-Ray and Meopta take cameras?

Singleshotneeded
12-27-2012, 07:16 PM
You would have to google that, I know the Meopta binos are built very solid...

schilly101
01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
i have a vortex viper HD 15-45 and i am very happy with it...fell out of the back seat of my truck and launded on the pavement..thought it was done..that was 3 months ago and shes had no issues! good price..good glass..very durable!