PDA

View Full Version : Copper sulphate in dog food

Walksalot
12-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I was reading the ingredients in the dog food I buy and noticed copper sulphate listed in the ingredients. The guy at the pet store emailed the company and had them send me the reason copper sulphate is in the food. Here is their answer. I thought I would post this FYI.

Water is a poison at too high of levels...

Thanks for your question and interest in our food. Copper is an integral component of enzymes that catalyse oxidation reactions. These include monoamine oxidase, lysyl oxidase, ferroxidase, and cytochrome C oxidase. Physiologically, copper serve many functions. For example, lysyl oxidase plays an important role in connective tissue formation. By virtue of its role in ferroxidase enzymes, copper is involved in iron metabolism and hematopioesis. It is also essential through its role in tyrosinase for melanin pigment formation and thus for normal hair and eye colour. Through its role in cytochrome oxidase, it is involved in myelin formation and other aspects of central nervous system functions, as well as in oxidative phosphorylation. As a cofactor of the enzyme superoxide dismutase, copper also is critical for appropriate defence mechanisms against oxidative damage.

Copper is deemed a requirement by NRC and is not found in high concentrations in many of the ingredients used in the manufacture of petfoods. Of all the sources, copper proteinate and copper sulphate have the highest bioavailability. Other sources like cupric oxide, cupric chloride, and cupric sulfate pentahydrate are not very bioavailable and are not recommended to be used at all. NRC have deemed that there is no documented safe upper limit for dogs, as they have tested it at over 250mg/kg over extended periods with no noticeable adverse affects although AAFCO suggest a maximum of 250 mg/kg. The minimum requirement is at about 8 mg/kg, typical analysis of our food is between 30 and 40 mg/kg.

Hope this answers why we use copper sulfate. Let me know if you have further questions.

__________________________________________________ ________________

Foxton Gundogs
12-23-2012, 08:54 AM
I was reading the ingredients in the dog food I buy and noticed copper sulphate listed in the ingredients. The guy at the pet store emailed the company and had them send me the reason copper sulphate is in the food. Here is their answer. I thought I would post this FYI.

Water is a poison at too high of levels...

Thanks for your question and interest in our food. Copper is an integral component of enzymes that catalyse oxidation reactions. These include monoamine oxidase, lysyl oxidase, ferroxidase, and cytochrome C oxidase. Physiologically, copper serve many functions. For example, lysyl oxidase plays an important role in connective tissue formation. By virtue of its role in ferroxidase enzymes, copper is involved in iron metabolism and hematopioesis. It is also essential through its role in tyrosinase for melanin pigment formation and thus for normal hair and eye colour. Through its role in cytochrome oxidase, it is involved in myelin formation and other aspects of central nervous system functions, as well as in oxidative phosphorylation. As a cofactor of the enzyme superoxide dismutase, copper also is critical for appropriate defence mechanisms against oxidative damage.

Copper is deemed a requirement by NRC and is not found in high concentrations in many of the ingredients used in the manufacture of petfoods. Of all the sources, copper proteinate and copper sulphate have the highest bioavailability. Other sources like cupric oxide, cupric chloride, and cupric sulfate pentahydrate are not very bioavailable and are not recommended to be used at all. NRC have deemed that there is no documented safe upper limit for dogs, as they have tested it at over 250mg/kg over extended periods with no noticeable adverse affects although AAFCO suggest a maximum of 250 mg/kg. The minimum requirement is at about 8 mg/kg, typical analysis of our food is between 30 and 40 mg/kg.

Hope this answers why we use copper sulfate. Let me know if you have further questions.

__________________________________________________ ________________

Whats the brand?

ruger#1
12-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Just read the box of Milk Bone dog treats. It has copper sulphate also. Not sure about the Nutro. I havent got a bag to check. I used to run an extruder to make dog and cat kibble. Never got any of the mixxer ingredients sheets to see if it was in any of the product.

The Dude
12-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Just read the box of Milk Bone dog treats. It has copper sulphate also. Not sure about the Nutro. I havent got a bag to check. I used to run an extruder to make dog and cat kibble. Never got any of the mixxer ingredients sheets to see if it was in any of the product.

Why do you make this so easy for me? Why? :-)

ruger#1
12-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Why do you make this so easy for me? Why? :-) Ha Ha, You know you like it.

allan
12-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Seems to to me it's a necessary ingredient in dog food. Why would the
manufacturers add a really expensive additive if it wasn't needed?

ruger#1
12-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Seems to to me it's a necessary ingredient in dog food. Why would the
manufacturers add a really expensive additive if it wasn't needed? It not only goes into dogfood. It goes into Cows. chickens and some fish feed. We used to have skids of the stuff. It will absorb threw your skin. Almost have to go hazmat to clean it up. We used to have it in crystal form.

Steelwheels
12-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Ha Ha, You know you like it.

Found... One Brass Ball

Walksalot
12-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Whats the brand?

Horizon Legacy Large Dog

ruger#1
12-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Found... One Brass Ball Your just jeluose, because I have two, And you just found one of yours because the other one hasn't came down yet. Ha Ha

Steelwheels
12-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Your just jeluose, because I have two, And you just found one of yours because the other one hasn't came down yet. Ha Ha

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6nlmribpxMjL0AoSrdGnQ6oZHXV9a3 T6Ic3FDYo-McdyLnzpe

It's the SIZE not the amount...

yamadirt 426
12-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Well I won't be sprinkling any on my raw dog food anytime too soon.

K-1
12-23-2012, 01:00 PM
It is also very good for killing moss on your roof.

reach
12-23-2012, 01:49 PM
They used to use it ("bluestone") as a preservative for cotton fishing nets. My dad always said it made any cuts on your hands swell up and look very strange, but then heal up really fast. It has some antifungal/herbicidal properties.

ruger#1
12-23-2012, 01:52 PM
They used to use it ("bluestone") as a preservative for cotton fishing nets. My dad always said it made any cuts on your hands swell up and look very strange, but then heal up really fast. It has some antifungal/herbicidal properties. It also says on the bag that it kills fish.

ruger#1
12-23-2012, 01:54 PM
It is also very good for killing moss on your roof. Are you thinking Iron Oxide? Zinc will also kill the moss.

Somethings happening BB
12-24-2012, 07:33 PM
[*=right]
[*=right]ABOUT (http://orijen.ca/products/adult_dog)
[*=right]ANALYSIS (http://orijen.ca/products/adult_dog/analysis)
[*=right]INGREDIENTS (http://orijen.ca/products/adult_dog/ingredients)
[*=right]CALORIES (http://orijen.ca/products/adult_dog/calories)
[*=right]FEEDING (http://orijen.ca/products/adult_dog/feeding)

BACK TO
PRODUCTS (http://orijen.ca/products)
I feed my dog ORIJEN Adult food and have him in Field Trials and it gives him what dog needs, he goes and goes, and lasts just like the everready batteries.
batteryshttp://orijen.ca/assets/images/products-adult-dog-sub-header.pngBY NATURE, DOGS OF ALL BREEDS AND SIZES ARE EVOLVED AS CARNIVORES — BIOLOGICALLY ADAPTED FOR A DIET RICH AND VARIED IN FRESH MEATS, WITH SMALLER AMOUNTS OF FRUITS, VEGETABLES AND GRASSES.Formulated to match your dog's natural diet, ORIJEN ADULT is loaded with the protein-packed meat ingredients (80%) that Mother Nature intended all dogs to eat — including free-run chicken and turkey, whole eggs and wild-caught fish that are farmed or fished within our region by people we know and trust.
Passed 'fit for human consumption' ORIJEN's regional ingredients are delivered FRESH EACH DAY, so they're never frozen, preservative-free, and bursting with unprocessed, biologically appropriate proteins and fats to nourish your dog completely.
Carbohydrate-limited and grain-free to replicate the natural diet, ORIJEN supplies a full 20% of regional fruits, vegetables and botanicals — including kelp, juniper berries and marigold flowers — that are naturally rich in phytonutrients, B-vitamins and essential trace minerals.
Made with pride in our award-winning factory here in Alberta, Canada, ORIJEN ADULT keeps your dog healthy, happy and strong.
READ OUR INGREDIENTS AND WE THINK YOU'LL AGREE.
Meet our local ingredient suppliers and learn about our Biologically Appropriate philosophy in our FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS video feature. (http://orijen.ca/fresh_regional)