PDA

View Full Version : First Waterfowl Hunt in 16 Years

Ron.C
12-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Well, I had the opportunity to get out for a duck/goose hunt with my buddy Jamie "aka Duckbuster". He took me out to shoot some clays the other day, and I actually did ok.

We met at his hunting area and set up decoys nice and early. Had plenty of time for coffee and BS before first light.

Jamie set up his blind and put me on the side he figured most birds would come in from. It was a bit of a slow start but when the ducks started flying, they kept coming in small flocks all morning. Was awesome as I had tons of opportunities to shoot. Well, that is when I have a shell in the chamber. On three occasions I pulled on ducks only to squeeze the trigger with a spent shell in the chamber :oops:

And when I was able to get shots off, my shotgunning skills left something to be desired. Anyway, my first duck in years was a Ringneck, something Jamie said is not overly common. We took a bunch of Widgeon's, a couple teal, and Jamie took a drake Shoveler.

We had one flock of Geese come in, but I dropped the ball on that one. And there seemed to be geese eveywhere when we were packing up. Oh well.

And it was a pleasure to watch his dog Bill retreive the birds. Was an absolutely awesome morning. I think my interest in Waterfowling has been re-born

Thanks for a great morning Jamie

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/ducks2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/ringneck.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/shovler.jpg

field marshal
12-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Nice Blackjack! Good going boys.----Field Marshal

Nickchee
12-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Awesome man! good looking birds.
I know how you feel. I'm used to a semi and when I came out here I bought a pump and went on a hunt without any practice.

Not much time left in the season but make sure you get out and put some more ducks in the freezer.

lorneparker1
12-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Nice work Jamie and Ron.

Look at the beak on that bootlip!

Chessieguy
12-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Nice looking birds...a great variety!!!

Crazy_Farmer
12-22-2012, 04:03 PM
An almost full colour shoveler. Impressive !!

kyleklassen
12-22-2012, 06:39 PM
excellent shoot guys...good job on the first ringneck....my first ringneck i sluiced from real close and blew it all to hell.

naes
12-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Nice work Guys That shoveler is awesome.

Foxton Gundogs
12-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Nice love the blackie and boot, nice birds previous owner of that canon only shot coots and teal ...............so I hear lol:mrgreen:

longshot
12-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Congrats on getting out there! Every January in my hunting spot I see ringnecks... always passed them up for the widgeons and lards.... but maybe they wont be so lucky this year!

Duck Buster
12-23-2012, 09:12 AM
It was a good hunt, good laughs, and lots lot of BS. As much as Ron said he shot like S##t he made some great shots when he actualy had shells in his gun.
Can't wait to do it again Ron it was a hoot.
I was pretty excited about the spoonbill, that is my first drake ever, if he was mature bird he would have gone on the wall as that is one of the mounts I am looking to do. I will get one, one day, as soon as they let me shoot on Lakes Rd. in Duncan..........:-D