PDA

View Full Version : What lessons did you learn about hunting this year?

igojuone
12-21-2012, 11:30 AM
I learnt that is you have a wounded animal in sight and even if you believe he is on his last breath don't back off out of sight, keep an eye on him and if he gets up hit him again.

Always have a few items in your vehicle in case you get stuck, shovel, chains, chainsaw, hi-lift jack and sand would have come in handy. Just glad I was always able to get un-stuck every time but it would have been easier and quicker if I had these items on hand.

BigfishCanada
12-21-2012, 01:00 PM
1)If a kid doesn't pull the trigger when in front of a nice buck, that maybe he doesn't want too...(Had one kid into 4 separate chances before figuring this out) and #2) Ice is scarey as hell coming down logging roads

hunter1947
12-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Not to advertise my camp set up on the Internet..

406elcamino
12-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Patience ...

Lost out on 2 big bucks by not being a little more patient

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Whitetails like to look into trees....and not just once in a while.

SSS

XPEIer
12-21-2012, 01:30 PM
doe bleats really work!

marcus44
12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Take the shot, don't wait for kids to get out of the truck and ready for a shot. Also, check all deer before taking an eye off them. Missed a shot at a nice WT buck when I only looked at the first buck and took my scope off them to call my buddy's son over to come get a shot at the smaller buck. Ugh gotta learn some greed lol

jetboat jim
12-21-2012, 01:57 PM
watch out for locals in the koots as they sabatoged my camp with perfume.....said i dont belong there .

set up trail cam on camp next year.

coach
12-21-2012, 02:15 PM
When your hunting partner hikes up the mountain and then realizes he's left his trigger lock on and his keys are at your house - resist the urge to be nice and lend him your rifle. :-D When another partner kicks a water bottle off a cliff and into a great bedding area - tell him to forget about it. Keep glassing the area and keep your gun ready. :-D

r106
12-21-2012, 03:07 PM
lesson learned #1- Slow down and glass more

lesson learned #2- Get out of the truck and put some miles on the boots.

lesson learned #3- Packing a animal back to the truck sucks.

hunterdon
12-21-2012, 03:17 PM
You can't go by last year as to where and when the deer will appear. Every year presents new challenges and we simply have to adapt if we are to be successful. Good question Igojuone.

1 shot 1 kill
12-21-2012, 03:42 PM
we had another great season..lots of meat in the freezers!
but i did learn poor pops eyes are not so good anymore!

rred
12-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Good spots dont always have to be 4 hrs from home

The Hermit
12-21-2012, 04:39 PM
1) Plan to undergo elective surgery well before hunting season!

2) Gold Bond!

3) Do not cave in to wife when she wants to go on vacation before the end of the late season

4) Hire shipper so web sales don't suffer while I'm hunting or otherwise not around

5) Do not not help lift a fridge three days before the season starts!

.300WSMImpact!
12-21-2012, 05:31 PM
tell less people where I hunt, and share very little information on HBC on my spots

hunter1993ap
12-21-2012, 05:47 PM
tell less people where I hunt, and share very little information on HBC on my spots

great lesson, i wish more people would feel this way.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-21-2012, 05:55 PM
great lesson, i wish more people would feel this way.
x3 a lot of good spots are ruined cause of this!!

open-sights
12-21-2012, 05:56 PM
If you here a siren, roll all windows down

Moose63
12-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Double walled natural gas chimney galvanized piping does not work on wall tent wood stoves. The inner wall of the pipe warped (due to heat) and restricted the flow of smoke to the outside. Tent full of smoke at M5 outdoor temp. Lucky we were awake when it happened.

duckhunt
12-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Well my year sucked I saw twice as many animals driving than I did hiking. It sucks cause I love hiking and putting most my miles on my boots.

Good2bCanadian
12-21-2012, 06:10 PM
If your new hunting buddy says he doesn't have a need for binoculars. Then you catch him scope you from across the cutblock.
find a new partner

Domt stop the razzing when your friend misses a 4 point opening morning from 20 yards.

never buy keyed trigger locks, always combos.

Lillypuff
12-21-2012, 06:49 PM
1- There are no mules left I shot the last one
2- Whitetails do live in region 3
3- I prefer road hunting
4- I now prefer fishing over hunting unless it is a backpack hunt

Sofa King
12-21-2012, 07:04 PM
i learned once again that patience isn't a friend of mine.
i just can't sit and watch an area for very long.
the snow got so crunchy late in the season that it was pointless to walk around.
i set up my blind a couple times, but it was painful to sit and watch.

also, when you do decide to sit and call and wait on a deer, make sure you have no blind spots.
my scouting paid off and i sat in my chosen spot and called.
waited awhile and called some more.
shortly after my last calls, i heard thump, thump, thump, thump, thump.
and it was so loud it sounded like the deer must have been right on top of me.
he came in right to me, he pin-pointed the calls right to the exact spot.
but he walked in on the only spot that i couldn't see because of a large rock i was using to block me from the wind.
he walked right up to 15 yards from me.
i spent the rest of the season trying to catch up with him again, but those large bucks don't let their guard down too often, and i think that was my chance at him.

pickle88
12-21-2012, 07:15 PM
i learned this year that im not a fan of bowhunting

moosinaround
12-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Make the time to hunt with the loved ones in your life. You may not get next season with them!!!Moosin

Gun Dog
12-21-2012, 07:32 PM
ATVs are pointless for hunting since only hunters use them and the deer are completely spooked by the sound (at least in region 3). I may go back to using my truck to get to my hunting spots.

pnbrock
12-21-2012, 07:48 PM
i learned that I'm not a very good hunter,i didn't kill one 200 " buck!

604redneck
12-21-2012, 09:51 PM
When your hunting partner hikes up the mountain and then realizes he's left his trigger lock on and his keys are at your house - resist the urge to be nice and lend him your rifle. :-D When another partner kicks a water bottle off a cliff and into a great bedding area - tell him to forget about it. Keep glassing the area and keep your gun ready. :-D
funny after that water bottle went for a tumble he gave me back my brand new leupold spotting scope and it didnt work anymore......gotta love leupold's warranty lol

thumper1
12-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Slow down and smell the roses. Then slow down some more.

lorneparker1
12-21-2012, 10:27 PM
1) Plan to undergo elective surgery well before hunting season!

2) Gold Bond!

3) Do not cave in to wife when she wants to go on vacation before the end of the late season

4) Hire shipper so web sales don't suffer while I'm hunting or otherwise not around

5) Do not not help lift a fridge three days before the season starts!

SO did you hunt at all this season? lol

caves16
12-21-2012, 10:43 PM
I got out with my kids a lot this season - so much so that I didn't shoot anything.
Makes me often think of the Trace Atkins song "She thinks we're just fishing"
Gotta love it!

The Hermit
12-21-2012, 10:50 PM
SO did you hunt at all this season? lol

I struggled through the early season archery elk season with a messed up back due to the fridge incident, and managed to kill and with the help of buddies recovered and dragged a small WT buck out to the road. Illness and eye surgery prevented me from getting out until late Nov when I got our for a couple days with the bow. I suppose the Panama cruise was good but to be honest my heart was in the EK with my blood brothers for the late season bow hunt. sigh...

deer nut
12-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Always be ready - from the moment you leave the truck to when you leave the hunting grounds. Never lose heart and expect to see animals (they are always there and pop up when you least expect it). Trust your instincts!

dog812
12-21-2012, 11:19 PM
- learned that to de - bone and having a great backpack is way better then dragging a deer.
- I saw more deer when i wasn't paying attention, sometimes just take it easy, enjoy the area around you, a big buck may stroll up on you..
- camelbacks straws, even the expensive insulated straws, freeze
- bad wood for the stove can make for a long night in -20

Trophyslayer
12-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Be prepared to spend the night on the cliffs while goat hunting and spotting scopes are a must for everyone in the hunting party in 6point elk season....

longstonec
12-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Stop looking so far away...

bosca
12-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Always be ready - from the moment you leave the truck to when you leave the hunting grounds. Never lose heart and expect to see animals (they are always there and pop up when you least expect it). Trust your instincts!I'll second this...not as easy to do consistantly as it sounds though ey?

blackbart
12-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Baby wipes rock.

Singleshotneeded
12-22-2012, 12:16 AM
I learned my mugwump doesn't mind killing game but he's not yet ready to gut a deer.
He did come out and help me wash my hands and knife with the 2 litre bottle of water
that I'd brought for that purpose...after the buck was loaded. :-) Good boy!

Morel
12-22-2012, 02:20 AM
You can't go by last year as to where and when the deer will appear. Every year presents new challenges and we simply have to adapt if we are to be successful. Good question Igojuone.

You summed up my season perfectly. Nothing about this season (only my second) fit into the "pattern" I expected from last season. I was not successful in getting an animal but was forced to adapt to the reality of this season and ultimately learned a lot more about deer sign.

The Dude
12-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Be prepared to shoot BEFORE you start calling preds. When they come, they pop out of nowhere.

igojuone
12-22-2012, 07:29 AM
i learned this year that im not a fan of bowhunting

I'll say this about bow hunting, it's a lot tougher then I thought is was going to be, started to doubt it myself until I found my buck with another lesson I learnt this year and that is there are HBC members that will help out at the drop of a hat and not ask for anything in return, thanks again hotload (Rod).

BCHunterFSJ
12-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Practise using shooting sticks / tripods BEFORE you go hunting...

Rackmastr
12-22-2012, 11:33 AM
BC hunting is a lot different than Alberta hunting......darn trees!!! Hahah

I learned that I LOVE hunting in this province and man oh man do I have a lot to learn going forward!!! Cant wait!!

hunter1947
12-22-2012, 12:00 PM
I learned to look in different management regions for mule deer.

keoke
12-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Realized that I need to get in shape for next year, wearing a 50lb backpack on pavement is not even close to a gun over the shoulder in the bush. Lol

Mauser98
12-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Practice shooting using non-bench positions.

BiG Boar
12-22-2012, 01:43 PM
1. Trails are the most important information one can acquire knowledge to in a given area. They save you a lot of hard hiking.

2. Shooting an elk 7 clicks back is tough work when you're with a buddy. Shooting 2 out of the same herd, and then packing out 2 elk, is really tough.

3. Always sight in your rifle before each and every trip. Or you may blow a huge opportunity...

4. Goat hunting is hard. Don't go up the draw the goat is in if the wind is going in his direction.

5. Mature Caribou bulls are big animals, especially when you're packing them out 10kms. If your friend says he can't pack it out, tell him you'll take some of his. His pride will do the rest.

6. Bring a headlight and knife, even if you don't think you will need them.

7. Wolverines do not stop running. Ever.

8. Zippers are there for a reason. Zip up your radio in your pocket. Dropping it while on a stalk somewhere in a swamp and not knowing its missing could cost you a huge opportunity.

9. Always have your own rifle with you and be ready to shoot. Or you might see a black wolf

10. Too many trips back to back is not a good thing. Plan to take a brake at home between every trip. Otherwise it turns into work.

11. And probably the most important lesson I learned this year. Above all eles, enjoy time your friends around the camp fire and in the cabin. Hunting is not about harvesting. There is no pressure needed on yourself to make sure you make things happen. Hunt hard, hunt smart, but remember to stop and drink in all of the nature around you. Listen to the place, enjoy each sunrise, smell often with your nose, really taste that steak you're eating, laugh often, and don't be afraid to sing in front of your friends. You do not need to kill an animal for it to be a successful trip.

Moose63
12-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Patience.....Calling really works if you wait......

allan
12-22-2012, 03:09 PM
1. Bowhunting is the best adrenalin rush ever for me
2. Have your own gear ready for big trips, so you can go without your buddies that jam out.
3. Good gear makes hunting in the rain and cold more enjoyable.
4. Delorme earth mate rocks when hunting solo for a week when you need to contact home.
5. I love bow hunting

proguide66
12-22-2012, 03:15 PM
I learned that chasing 1 specific deer on two different mountains is a guarranteed recipe to make you insane.....

tomahawk
12-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Callin deer ups your odds for meat!

Roadway
12-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Keep a spare key for your trigger lock in your pack.

Knowing exactly where your key is doesn't help if it's an 8+ hour drive away.

r106
12-22-2012, 04:53 PM

Knowing exactly where your key is doesn't help if it's an 8+ hour drive away.

lesson learned don't use trigger locks period

deer nut
12-22-2012, 05:19 PM

Knowing exactly where your key is doesn't help if it's an 8+ hour drive away. Changed to combo locks....so now as long as I don't forget the combo I'm good!

finngun
12-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Changed to combo locks....so now as long as I don't forget the combo I'm good! why yu need locks anyways:mrgreen:..:confused:
i never have locks on my guns..no need it..if any i remove a bolt...keep it hidden

300H&H
12-22-2012, 06:25 PM
My lesson was hard learned.

I took a new hunter out and he assured me his gun was sighted in and he was shooting tight groups.

On the road (way back) a 2 point mulie was a 100 yards away so I told him to shoot it.

Clean miss in the dirt between its legs.

Second shot was the same !?!

Went after the buck and saw him in a cut 150 yards away.

I gave him my gun and told him to shoot it.

He hit the back leg.

Long story short the deer was never recovered.

My lesson...be sure the guy can shoot and his rifle is sighted in.

Also I should not have put any pressure on him to pull the trigger...I was wrong for doing that.

.300WSMImpact!
12-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I also learned turkey hunting is cool, and no I wont tel you where I go

deer nut
12-22-2012, 06:51 PM
why yu need locks anyways:mrgreen:..:confused:
i never have locks on my guns..no need it..if any i remove a bolt...keep it hiddenI believe you are required to have them locked for transport, though disabling by removing the bolt is probably OK....I've just heard enough horror stories about guys checked and hassled by mis-informed RCMP to make me extra paranoid.

deer nut
12-22-2012, 06:55 PM
I'll second this...not as easy to do consistantly as it sounds though ey? You got that right....very difficult to stay focused and ready all the time. I managed to bag a small buck in the last hour of my season by keeping a positive attitude this year though!

HarryToolips
12-22-2012, 07:09 PM
1. Just because you don't harvest something doesn't mean you didn't learn: I learned more this year than any other.
2. Can't expect to get something EVERY season
3. No matter how remote your location is, always put a lock on your trail cam, people (I'm guessing another hunter) will take your SD card, or the whole cam.
4. Bush karma is gonna be a b**ch for the guy who took it, he'll probably have his truck break down in the middle of nowhere and be attacked by a griz or something:mrgreen:
5. You gotta actually spend some time with your wife during the season, making her a hunting widow gets ya in the doghouse!:-D

Gateholio
12-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Road hunters need ot practice their Ninja roll techniques more. The proper dismount from a vehicle is to open door, Ninja roll out the moving truck and slam the "clip" into your rifle AS you are completing the roll, so you are ready to fire as soon as your feet hit the ground. Too many guys do the roll but only slap in the clip AFTER they have got their feet on the ground, and that is taking a big risk of losing a shot at an animal!

knightcc
12-22-2012, 07:38 PM
1. Never stop exploring even if you feel you have good spots.

2. If you are calling in what you feel is a good spot, trust your instincts and stick it out. Then stick it out another half hour.

3. Patience, patience, patience

4. Enjoy everything in nature this great province has to offer. We truly are the luckiest hunters on the planet with all the animals we get to hunt with over the counter tags. Also, the scenery we have is second to none. ENJOY IT ALL GUYS & GALS it doesn't get any better than this. Work hard to protect what we have.

The Dude
12-22-2012, 09:13 PM
I believe you are required to have them locked for transport, though disabling by removing the bolt is probably OK....I've just heard enough horror stories about guys checked and hassled by mis-informed RCMP to make me extra paranoid.

I've been stopped by RCMP with a rifle on the backseat. Took me a half hour to educate the guy, lol. Man, was he stuuuupid. Gun was empty, bolt was in the console at my right hand (I was on the Trans Canada). ALL that is required is the gun is unloaded, and you are in constant attendance. If you leave the vehicle, it must be trunked, cased, or at least well out of sight.
It may have its bolt or magazine in, it may not be loaded in any way.

The Dude
12-22-2012, 09:13 PM
1. Never stop exploring even if you feel you have good spots.

2. If you are calling in what you feel is a good spot, trust your instincts and stick it out. Then stick it out another half hour.

3. Patience, patience, patience

4. Enjoy everything in nature this great province has to offer. We truly are the luckiest hunters on the planet with all the animals we get to hunt with over the counter tags. Also, the scenery we have is second to none. ENJOY IT ALL GUYS & GALS it doesn't get any better than this. Work hard to protect what we have.

Now, that post is full of WIN also!

wos
12-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Frost bitten toes heart more the second time around. Wondering if my toe nails grow back?

ufishifish2
12-23-2012, 12:05 AM
I had my first year with no animals harvested in over a decade and the kicker is that I went on more big hunting trips this year than any year previous.
What did I learn?
I was surprised to realize that I really don't care at all. The hunting trips were thoroughly enjoyable, I learned lots and got to spend awesome quality time with great people.

scottwh
12-23-2012, 12:45 AM
1 ~ Always, ALWAYS top up your ass wipe supply in your pack
2 ~ Be sure to NOT forget your tire chains at home when snow conditions can go for a s&*t
3 ~ STOP telling people where I hunt

Aside from those three things, I always have fun :)

*bcgold*
12-23-2012, 10:54 AM
camo outfits are the in thing when road hunting... Late season deer hunting in snow. A $5 "white" lab coat from the thrift store works better than $100 camo-outfit from your local hunting store.

BCKyle
12-23-2012, 01:03 PM
that sometimes when you've stillhunted for hours and haven't seen a damn thing getting an "on the way home" buck off a block road can still be pretty rewarding.

that my girlfriend likes deer more than beef, which means that she doesn't always want the smaller thinner steak anymore.

That the right mule deer is damn tasty and that freaking out about the tarsal glands can be over rated.

That I don't know how to look for whitetails. But that next year I am making it my mission to get one (or two).

nature girl
12-23-2012, 07:41 PM
I learned just because it was hot in the lowermainland dont assume it will be nice in the mountains.
I froze a few nights in the back of the truck.
Next year I will be bringing a heater.

ruger#1
12-23-2012, 07:48 PM
I learned just because it was hot in the lowermainland dont assume it will be nice in the mountains.
I froze a few nights in the back of the truck.
Next year I will be bringing a heater. I learnt the same thing. No more hunting naked for me.

IslandHunterBXL
12-23-2012, 11:42 PM
On dry, easy ground, my runners are way quieter than my hiking boots.

Get the first one in the freezer before getting picky about racks.

Spotting scope is a must for big bull/ little bull moose.

Everything i'v ever heard about the gummy mud in the north country when it rains was TRUE

endtimerwithabow
12-24-2012, 05:30 PM
pit lamping...........is harder than it looks :-D

Stone C. Killer
12-24-2012, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=BiG Boar;1259245]1.

3. Always sight in your rifle before each and every trip. Or you may blow a huge opportunity...

X2

rocksteady
12-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Take out a rookie hunter every year, regardless of age, cause that shat eatin grin and watcin ther hands shake as they gut their first big game animal is well worth the price of admission, plus it gets them hooked instantly...

I took a 40 year old virgin this year, and when he got his first deer, damn near brought a tear to my eye..... Not the glass one or the blind one, but my eye nonetheless...

Pass on the tradition and heritage. End stop!

Oh, and make sure you got asswipe at all times...Sleeves get expensive on the wardrobe budget very quickly :(

lip_ripper00
12-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Never leave the truck with out sh** tickets in your pocket!!

The Dude
12-24-2012, 10:29 PM
I learnt the same thing. No more hunting naked for me.

Well I guess that explains THIS:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Forum%20Ammo/deershocked.jpg

moose2
12-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Make sure to take cramp-ons for my next winter mountain hunt.

Have a spot locator with me at all times.

Take the right equipment into the mountains incase your sheep hunt turns into a moose hunt. ( saw, game bags, first aid kit, flash light )

Although shooting the skull cap off a trophy moose worked, don't expect to see another animal in the area for a few days after.

That packing a boone and crockett animal for four days was worth it.

Mike

decker9
12-25-2012, 10:00 AM
When just going up for "a closer look" at a goat in late season, take a sleeping bag anyway!
A top of the line packboard is a must! not a wish.

EGLPNT
12-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Road hunters need ot practice their Ninja roll techniques more. The proper dismount from a vehicle is to open door, Ninja roll out the moving truck and slam the "clip" into your rifle AS you are completing the roll, so you are ready to fire as soon as your feet hit the ground. Too many guys do the roll but only slap in the clip AFTER they have got their feet on the ground, and that is taking a big risk of losing a shot at an animal!

I think the question was 'what did you learn this season', not 'rip on a group of hunters that you feel superior to'... Just sayin.

ruger#1
12-25-2012, 10:13 AM
I think the question was 'what did you learn this season', not 'rip on a group of hunters that you feel superior to'... Just sayin. Maybe it was a joke. Just sayin.

frenchbar
12-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Maybe it was a joke. Just sayin. nobody kids around on here do they ..lol

ruger#1
12-25-2012, 10:37 AM
nobody kids around on here do they ..lol I sure don't. I wouldn't want it done to me. Just sayin.

deer nut
12-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I learnt the same thing. No more hunting naked for me. Just be careful! There have been several pairs of hunting partners killed by Carbon monoxide poisoning from their heaters over the past decade.

ruger#1
12-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Just be careful! There have been several pairs of hunting partners killed by Carbon monoxide poisoning from their heaters over the past decade. I'am okay. I just use a peter heater. And yes Dude is going to say it is extra small. But he has bad eyesite.

deer nut
12-25-2012, 10:58 AM
"Pass on the tradition and heritage. End stop! " (Rocksteady 2012) Words to live by! I took out a young lad this year, didn't connect on a buck but he learned some lessons & had a good adventure. He's buck hungry! Oh, and salal makes lousy TP!

deer nut
12-25-2012, 11:03 AM
I'am okay. I just use a peter heater. And yes Dude is going to say it is extra small. But he has bad eyesite.HAHAHAHA!!!!!! Now that is funny!

nuadixion
12-25-2012, 11:13 AM
I learned that I do not think about sex while hunting....

ruger#1
12-25-2012, 11:26 AM
I learned that I do not think about sex while hunting.... You are such a bad lyer.

nuadixion
12-25-2012, 11:35 AM
You are such a bad lyer.

...well...maybe just a little...but still, hunting gives me nice break from this "obsession"

igojuone
12-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Shit I was suppose to drop and roll? My first whitie allowed me to get out of the truck, go to a knee, change my mind and drop to my belly and then peg him in the head. Second whitie allow me to exit the truck, grab my bow, steady my self and stick one in his neck. Not what I was aiming for but it worked out in the end.
The only thing that sucked was I hunted hard all year putting miles after miles on my boots and then my road hunting buddy smugly says, "so you were driving at the time".

The Hermit
12-25-2012, 12:04 PM
why yu need locks anyways:mrgreen:..:confused:
i never have locks on my guns..no need it..if any i remove a bolt...keep it hidden

Do you have a PAL? This from the guy that thinks its okay to shoot birds outta trees with high powered rifles! Shakes head...

Rifles must be trigger locked when stored. That includes while at home in your secure locker and especially when locked out of sight in your vehicle while you are not in the vehicle. So the short answer is we all need trigger locks!

landphil
12-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Do you have a PAL? This from the guy that thinks its okay to shoot birds outta trees with high powered rifles! Shakes head...

Rifles must be trigger locked when stored. That includes while at home in your secure locker and especially when locked out of sight in your vehicle while you are not in the vehicle. So the short answer is we all need trigger locks!

Lots of missinformation in your post here, please re-read the safe storage laws and then correct your post.

rocksteady
12-25-2012, 01:06 PM

Can you post a link to that portion of the regulation? I think you may be incorrect..

BimmerBob
12-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Bill, I think you need to re-check your "facts"... I do not use trigger locks on any of my bolt actions but all the bolts are locked up separately.

pickle88
12-25-2012, 01:12 PM

guns just have to be ..outa sight ...not trigger locked ,while in an unatennded vehicle

landphil
12-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Can you post a link to that portion of the regulation? I think you may be incorrect..

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm

Here is the storage regulations. He's correct for restricted, but not non-restricted.

Farmer001
12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Few things learned and passed on.
1- Do not force new hunters to take the shot, it is their decision
2- Chunky soup is discusting after the 2nd day
3- Patience and enjoyment of being in the outdoors even if its raining.
4- Talk to wife during hunting season, make sure to dedicate some time to her.
5- Youth hunters will fill your tags quickly.
6-Elk are big animals and bigger when they hit the ground
7- When going for a "quick" walk ALWAYS take your gear - you may have to adapt quickly.
8-Do not compare youself to others, it is luck, skill and some more luck involved.
9-Congratulate others on their success, lend a hand and be prepared for a good BS session whenever you run across someone..
10- Successful trips can be viewed in many different ways.
11-Sharing the hunting experience with new hunters is alot of work but well worth it.

bcbrez
12-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Never leave the truck without a knife and headlamp (flashlight) even if you think you're only going 100 yards.

Mountaintop
12-25-2012, 04:26 PM
1) Hunting out of your regular area and being able to see a new piece of this great province makes coming home empty handed worth it
2) A C.O. can pop up out of nowhere, even 75 km in on a barely there back road.
3) When you still have all your tags the little guy you passed up earlier in the season looks pretty good on the last day of the season (I got him)

bridger
12-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Don't leave a gut pile close to the cabin!

finngun
12-25-2012, 05:56 PM
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm

Here is the storage regulations. He's correct for restricted, but not non-restricted. .....Well not even restricted---see..Lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms safely. // if restricted gun is in vault...mine are there..i take small vault for rifle range.. no need trigger lock...f-g:mrgreen:

hermit,,,, you can Shakes you head a lot... and read-read you regs...////This from the guy that thinks its okay to shoot birds outta trees with high powered rifles!///
are you both heads shaking now:mrgreen::mrgreen:

igojuone
12-25-2012, 06:06 PM
I learnt a good flashlight is invaluable when hunting for wounded game after dusk.

finngun
12-25-2012, 11:12 PM
.....Well not even restricted---see..Lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms safely. // if restricted gun is in vault...mine are there..i take small vault for rifle range.. no need trigger lock...f-g:mrgreen:

hermit,,,, you can Shakes you head a lot... and read-read you regs...////This from the guy that thinks its okay to shoot birds outta trees with high powered rifles!///
are you both heads shaking now:mrgreen::mrgreen:
i just wanna add little thing---Guns aren't dangerous at all. Idiots carrying them, well that's a whole different issue.:idea:

Jim Prawn
12-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Funny how these threads all seem to loose interest and get mis-directed after a while... Most of the early threads provide some great insight, and those points that were continually repeated; the most important. The best thing we can all do, is REMEMBER WHAT YOU POSTED ON THIS THREAD next season and stick to it, it will very possibly pay off. As for me, patience, scouting, enjoying time with friends and family, giving the love of my love a little bit of attention between Sept and Dec (well, August and Sept next year). Set your priorities well before season, make a plan, and go for it!
JP

Gateholio
12-26-2012, 01:41 AM
I think the question was 'what did you learn this season', not 'rip on a group of hunters that you feel superior to'... Just sayin.

What are you talking about? My Ninja roll is getting better, but it's still a work in progress. Any tips?

mikeman20
12-26-2012, 01:53 AM
Year #4; 1) learned alot about wind direction2) call, use that and it WILL help3) even if you dont think there are deer, go SLOW and quiet
I ended the season taking a small whitetail buck and a whitetail doe, roasts and pepperoni are awesome.

kootenayslam
12-26-2012, 09:34 AM
I killed a whitetail that reinforced how important knowing your area is, also how the all mighty persistence pays off if you have faith in your area.

panhead
12-26-2012, 02:33 PM
It's a good thing to have a "shared hunt" pardn'er in a good location ...

dana
12-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Cow Calling works even in Nov and Immy's do come in, just very quietly.

ruger#1
12-26-2012, 02:39 PM
What are you talking about? My Ninja roll is getting better, but it's still a work in progress. Any tips? Yes, It is easyer to do in a pair of pantyhose.

Leaseman
12-27-2012, 02:16 PM
I learned that it is a very long time between hunting seasons when you are only able to make it out for one day in a season...........

3kills
12-27-2012, 02:58 PM
never shoot the buck that i am tryin to get my sister set up on. and not to be so stubborn some times

albravo2
12-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I've already learned the 'take a headlamp and a knife' lesson several times.

Yesterday I was able to refine that rule to 'take a headlamp WITH BATTERIES and a knife'.

Yes, I'm a slow learner.

lightmag
12-28-2012, 05:58 PM
that it doesnt matter, what time, where or weather..... it could happen any second...

nuadixion
12-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Funny how these threads all seem to loose interest and get mis-directed after a while... Most of the early threads provide some great insight, and those points that were continually repeated; the most important. The best thing we can all do, is REMEMBER WHAT YOU POSTED ON THIS THREAD next season and stick to it, it will very possibly pay off. As for me, patience, scouting, enjoying time with friends and family, giving the love of my love a little bit of attention between Sept and Dec (well, August and Sept next year). Set your priorities well before season, make a plan, and go for it!
JP

Well....even thou I did not post it last year, after missing a m goat several times at 300 y I LEARNED I cant shoot. This year I made sure I got close. (nice billy at 20 y) Then I did not miss it..:)!

Wrayzer
12-28-2012, 10:54 PM
When rattling whitetails, keep an eye on every possible spot he could pop out at, 360 degrees, and be ready to get the quick shot off.

Only small raghorn Bull Elk come into calls in our spot, time to cut trails deeper.

hunter1947
12-29-2012, 03:59 AM
Shoot more wolfs if I see them...

knightcc
12-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Very, very true. I learned that one again this year.

that it doesnt matter, what time, where or weather..... it could happen any second...

The Dude
12-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Don't piss on a campfire if you've been drinking Fireball.................

.....there's a reason they named it that.

bowhunterbruce
12-29-2012, 07:36 AM
8. Zippers are there for a reason. Zip up your radio in your pocket. Dropping it while on a stalk somewhere in a swamp and not knowing its missing could cost you a huge opportunity.

now there is an understatement and a half. but never fear "goliath" will just be even bigger this year and now your armed with the most powful weapon known to mankind. "knowledge"

oldkoot
12-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Take care of your body when you are young , otherwise you can easily end up busted up and unable to hunt a single day all season. Yah........my knees used to be bullet proof as well.

biggyun68
12-29-2012, 02:42 PM
This middle aged former Rugby player is with you

hunter1947
12-30-2012, 03:09 AM
When people start a bad rumor to end it right away do what you have to do to end this bad rumor don't let it carry on over the years..

bruin
12-30-2012, 04:57 AM
I learned that some mule deer will stay alot higher and alot longer than I thought. I also learned some great new areas this year and learned that hunting with your spouse can be a ton of fun! I also re-learned what tag soup tastes like.

Stillhunting
12-30-2012, 10:13 AM
I learned that it doesn't really matter if you can't be out at first and last light, when you like to still hunt the thick stuff anyway. You just have to be able to spot them in their beds.

Lozzie
12-30-2012, 10:33 AM
When bowhunting, aim low and aim small and wait until the deer turns its head away from you before letting go. Heart breaking when you watch your lung shot sail over their backs when they compress to jump, twice :(

Clint_S
12-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I learned that after hunting for a fair while there is always, always lots more to learn. That's what keeps it fun and interesting year after year.

Fella
12-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Waterfowling is a lot more fun than you might think.

Get really familiar with where the safety is located on your gun. When you get excited by the group of ducks flying in right in front of you, you don't have time to look down to find it.

ruger#1
12-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I learnt never to buy any mineral licks from WalMart. Bought one and put it up at the end of november. The rain has totaly destroyed it. What a complete waste of money. Live and learn.

Jelvis
12-30-2012, 04:22 PM
I learned if you can't make it out at all the whole season, you get knot tinck.
Jel vien knee us

Wrayzer
12-30-2012, 04:53 PM
I learnt never to buy any mineral licks from WalMart. Bought one and put it up at the end of november. The rain has totaly destroyed it. What a complete waste of money. Live and learn.

Keep an eye on that spot, will be a natural lick with the minerals and salt obsorbed in the soil. Keep it active. Put feed down during Late/off season, they'll be looking to fatten up more than getting minerals and nurtients.

ruger#1
12-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Keep an eye on that spot, will be a natural lick with the minerals and salt obsorbed in the soil. Keep it active. Put feed down during Late/off season, they'll be looking to fatten up more than getting minerals and nurtients. The cam is still there with a bag of cob. It is the big rub in my gallery. Lots of cross trails. I check the cam every two weeks. Not much happening.

Darksith
12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
how much did that cost you? They are only $8 at a feed store.

When your hunt turns into chaos before you hit the bush...get ready cause its gonna be a crazy day. It always seems like when you are the least prepared, not paying attention, not really ready to drop something, thats when it happens.
Always let everyone shoot at the moose when its just before dark...tracking in the dark isn't something you want to do.

brazen
01-21-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm late to catch on this thread...but i have learned that if you are going to leave a campfire hot with nails sticking out around, you should block it thusly so that some fool in a toyota doesn't back up onTO it in the dark morning hours...thank you
http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz146/brazenru/Photo1932-small.jpg

log_roller
01-21-2013, 02:59 PM
jb weld small razor blades on the latch that hods your trail cam to the tree when the cameras gone you have there dna

barry1974w
02-01-2013, 04:42 AM
That I'm not as good as I thought..... Mmmm, tag soup.

kgriz
02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I learned that it only takes an extra 1/2 hour to go around the Ranch at Pink Mnt. and not pay a fee that DOUBLED AND THEN SOME ( for a 1 tag holder, one "helper" party) from less than 5 years ago and that I will provide the GPS track file for people that PM me next year:mrgreen:.....at least when the snow is reasonable that is...

YAMMY-CA
02-02-2013, 11:34 AM
I learned there are HUNTERS and there are KILLERS--big differenece.

bcbrez
02-02-2013, 12:01 PM
I learned, give an inch, they take a mile and your trail cams.

andrewscag
02-02-2013, 11:58 PM
I learned that I'm not good enough yet to effectively still hunt in heavy cover. But I'll keep going back until I am.

Freshtracks
02-03-2013, 01:42 AM
That when you can't go ... you miss it even more.

mungojeerie
02-03-2013, 02:33 AM
I learnt that:

1) trying to find a fall turkey is a lot tougher than a spring one.

2) just because someone's coming out of a spot as your going in doesnt mean there won't be game, found a nice 2x2 bedded beside the road less than 2 min after passing someone on their way out.

3) that it is possible to limit out on deer :)

4) unfortunately there are too many "outdoorsmen" who treat our precious land as their own personal garbage dump.

bc_boy
02-03-2013, 07:54 AM
If you think it's a burnt stump double check always better to glass a thousand stumps than to have one bee line for the tree line lol

mungojeerie
02-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Ohh and I also learned that although its time consuming (at least for me as a first timer) butchering a deer yourself is fairly easy.... and its a pretty satisfying feeling eating meat that was processed totally by you right from harvesting to dining.

Another nice thing about it is you can be as picky as you want when it comes to removing connective tissues, silver skin etc.

Caribou_lou
02-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Never give up.! That is something my father taught me at a very young age. One of his favorite songs is Take it to the limit by the Eagles. Something him and I have done on many hunts!

ianwuzhere
02-03-2013, 03:04 PM
a reminder to always lock up all trail cams to trees or they will get stolen :(

and that 4 weeks of holidays for hunting is not near enough!

Wade
02-03-2013, 05:19 PM
I learned that there is way too many wolves in region 7a

labguy
02-03-2013, 09:28 PM
I learned that absolutely no good ever comes from showing someone a favorite hunting spot.........no matter how honorable you think they are.

Moe.JKU
02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
that rolling a vehicle off a logging road 100ft sucks. even worse is getting it out the next day with staples in your head.

new hunter
02-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Just cause you got lucky last year does not mean youre an expert hunter , does not mean it will be easy this year , and just cause you got him at 2 in the afternoon does not mean you dont need to be in the field at first light .
I also learned that if someone tries to suggest a late season hunting spot that doesnt sound all that great , there probably not trying to help ( good thing I no my area , which just verifys the importance of scouting ).

358mag
02-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Don't trust anyone on the Internet

ruger#1
02-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Don't trust anyone on the Internet This is the truest statement I have ever read.

trapperRick
02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
There are too many guy's that road hunt

BlacktailStalker
02-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Haters gonna hate !

coach
02-08-2013, 12:03 AM
There are too many guy's that road hunt

Spoken like a true road hunter. :-D

Ltbullken
02-09-2013, 10:25 AM
watch out for locals in the koots as they sabatoged my camp with perfume.....said i dont belong there .

set up trail cam on camp next year.

Almost as bad as moose hunters in the Gaspe!

Ltbullken
02-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Lesson engrained - putting on the miles, getting up early, and being tenacious pays off. I have always known that but this year it was the difference on our elk hunt. Got an elk. But the lesson I really took to heart was what happened after I took the shot on the elk. I was in thick brush when I dropped it. I assumed that when the shot rang out, the elk herd would have taken off. As I approached the downed elk, the brush erupted about 30 meters from the elk! The herd stood around after I took the shot. So next time, after shooting the elk, me and my buddy will wait and do some calling to see if we can bring out more elk (it was a open cow and immature bull season). Also, another lesson - a 130 grain TSX in a 260 Rem CAN drop an elk with one shot! Stunned at how effective it was!

Blk Arrow
02-10-2013, 08:19 AM
That I missed a great thread in December
My son has been listening and is continuing to learn, as am I.
When rattling insure the shooter has the rangefinder and binos.
A quad can scatter a group of deer with a buck in the middle like a billiard break. (See 2&3)
Take your kids out often and enjoy your time with them. They quickly become adults and hopefully the will take you in latter years. (I’m not there yet.)

Rob
02-10-2013, 08:28 AM
That when you do miss a very nice Whitetail buck at 40 yds the nightmares will eventually go away.........somewhat....

skid
02-10-2013, 10:24 PM
When theres 3 bull moose in the yard the day you leave for your hunting trip and the season doesnt open for another 2 days, just stay home cause your chances are pretty good when it does open. Thats what i learned.

Bugle M In
02-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Take care of your body when you are young , otherwise you can easily end up busted up and unable to hunt a single day all season. Yah........my knees used to be bullet proof as well.

So true...not only for a lesson learned this year but for years to come.
Contact sports...sure it's a hell of a lot of fun....no doubt!
BUT
Take warning....
It can destroy you as you age.
Great..if you have a million dollar contract....but...
The reality is....you only get one body...and one chance...
and no....surgery doesn't fix it... generally...hell...it's surgery...no 100% after!
Big misconception I am afraid to say.
As the saying goes...
Take care of your body...without your health....
YOU HAVE NOTHING!
No such thing as bullet proof.....it will come back at some point.
Nothing learned here...living it...just want to let others have a chance.
Take care BMI

Hunt-4-Life
03-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Glass more than you think you need to, and don't skyline yourself. Don't let the sun light you up, camo or no camo. 6 mulies bounding away out the other side of a big alpine bowl taught me that...

igojuone
03-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Reading a thread about which bow rest is best and I remembered a lesson learnt this past season and that is when moving from a warm truck to the freezing cold to draw my bow a couple of time to make sure my rest hasn't frozen up and will still drop when released.

MattTse
03-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Always park near somewhat of a downward slope, I had my battery die on me about 6-10 clicks, away from the nearest sign of people and about 50 km from a town, luckily I was just near a hill and my battery had enough juice to operate my winch the 20 feet needed to get to the crest. Had to bump start a 3500 diesel in reverse.

russm
03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
So far the only person to trust as far as trip planning goes is my dad....

Fella
03-17-2013, 12:23 PM
I learned that if you put some time into looking around you can find GOOD gear for far less than regular price.

sapper
03-17-2013, 08:44 PM
You summed up my season perfectly. Nothing about this season (only my second) fit into the "pattern" I expected from last season. I was not successful in getting an animal but was forced to adapt to the reality of this season and ultimately learned a lot more about deer sign.
I found this year's doe less than 50m from where I had shot the doe I took when I had a tag for the same MU 3 years ago. This was the spot where I saw the most action all weekend even with the area now a lot busier than when we were there 2 years ago. And because I read someone else's advice on not advertising good hunting areas on HBC I'll just say I was in region 3. :-)
And I also learned that even though you may have planned trips for months in advance it's always good to be willing to get someone new into the lifestyle because you don't know that the other buddies aren't going to drop out of the trip a week or two beforehand and leave you considering going solo. :-( The positive side of this is that I did get a friend his first experience of seeing a successful hunt and having him ready for putting in his own tags for next year.

Fred1
03-17-2013, 09:06 PM
1) What I know: Keep your mouth shut.
2) What I do: Never give up till you're home.
3) When I go: I go prepared.
4) What I learned (from another's mistake): When someone lets you in on his good hunting spot, treat it like it is his - respect the time he has invested in it, keep his faith in you that you will not abuse the inforamtion given, never betray a friend and see #1.

keithb7
03-24-2013, 06:39 PM
I learned, after a long day not seeing one deer, and missing a shot at a coyote, never give up. Never load up your quad at the end of that day, tired and a little pissy, then put your trigger lock on your gun. Never proceed to drive down the logging road, heading home, with said gun in the back seat of your crew cab. If you do decide to do this, then put the pedal down and make time heading home. Don't drive slow looking into the timber for a 4 pt mule deer. I learned that this is the exact time when you will see a perfect 4 point. I learned that no matter how fast you pull over and quietly try to grab your gun, remove the trigger lock and load it...Your just not fast enough. 1 hour of tracking turned up nothing. I learned real good.

rides bike to work
03-24-2013, 06:59 PM
I had the wife and boys in the truck going up a logging road this past season when my wife asks is this hunting just driving around so I said no and pulled over 50 yards from a clearing unloaded the kids and jokingly all crawled to the top of alittle hill to look at the clearing me over acting the whole way when we looked over the edge there was two does and a nice big three point then I realized I forgot my gun I ran back got gun lined up pulled trigger forgot saftey was on buck bounced off. Then the wife and kids laughed at me the rest of the evening.

DON'T DO THAT

Trigger Happy
04-01-2015, 02:05 PM
I think we should keep this thread goin, have learned a lot from everyone's tales of misses to air head moves
#1= Turn your cellphone off, missed a wolf cause of the wife
#2= Carry your rifle in your hands, not slung over shoulder
#3= Don't sleep in a tent in 7-38
#4= Patience is about smelling the flowers and enjoying your own time
#5= Wolves are super smart, don't bother returning for a week
#6= Don't use trigger locks, combo only when you have kids
#7= Sight in your rifle and put it away, couldn't hit a barn with my 30-06
#8= Research, plan, research again, and plan some more
#9= Sneakers are way quieter then boots
#10= Open new gear and toys before you go and practise
#11= Don't shoot if it's almost dark in grizzly country
#12= Most importantly, have fun and make memories that will last a lifetime, it's about laughter, mis-haps, and if your lucky, meat in the freezer, good luck to you all :)

Wentrot
04-01-2015, 02:33 PM
1-Slow the eff down

Hanrahan
04-01-2015, 03:18 PM
I learned that no matter how good my intentions of hiking more and getting further in, I always see and shoot more deer from my truck. Accept it, don't listen to the haters and don't pass on an animal because it isn't 10 klicks through the bush. I still hike because I like it, but when I'm at home making or eating deer sausage I don't care where it was standing before it became dinner.

caddisguy
04-01-2015, 03:36 PM
1. *click* is not the sound you want to hear when you squeeze the trigger with a bear at 7 yards
2. You can call in a bull moose by vomitting
3. With a less than fatal shot, predators can find your deer before you do
4. If you put doe urine on your boots, a coyote will run up to you at the most awkward time (see #7)
5. Mineral licks taste pretty decent
6. Sometimes keeping beer warm in the fall is more dire then keeping beer cold in the summer
7. A couple cans of Stag Chili in the evening and you won't get much "notice" the next morning (see #4)

Chiron
04-01-2015, 03:45 PM
1. Bring a spare set of keys. I had a key break in the trigger lock - by luck I had a spare :-)
2. Pick your campsite well - after 5 days of rain camp can be a real mud pit. Bring rubber boots.
3. Moose hunting drifting in a boat is awesome.
4. Surprising a grizzly on the shore from said boat gets your blood pumping and the urge to get a bigger gun (I am a now proud owner of a 45-70)

Whonnock Boy
04-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately, politics and hunting go hand in hand.

blacklab
04-01-2015, 06:57 PM
What are trigger locks?

finngun
04-01-2015, 07:12 PM
What are trigger locks?

And why ya need them..unless you have restr.guns:idea:

leadpillproductions
04-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Elk are really quite when they want to be

ursusbait
04-01-2015, 07:55 PM
I think we should keep this thread goin, have learned a lot from everyone's tales of misses to air head moves
Great idea! well done.
I can attest to that.
Check zero before hunting every year.

Yes
#12= Most importantly, have fun and make memories that will last a lifetime, it's about laughter, mis-haps, and if your lucky, meat in the freezer, good luck to you all :)

I learned that I will share good spots if I know you but not great spots ever!

scoutlt1
04-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Over the last few years the best thing I've learned is that it's not about what I shoot, but about how much time I am able to spend out there with one or both of my sons :)

j270wsm
04-01-2015, 08:43 PM
^^^^^^^ agreed, I get more out of watching my dad and son pull the trigger.

dino
04-01-2015, 08:44 PM
What are trigger locks?
an extra barrier of protection especially if you have kids. combo locks are definitely the way to go

Alfonz
04-01-2015, 09:12 PM
One lesson that I learned this year while out on a hunting trip was to not fly any in the vicinity of thunderstorms. Pretty nerve wrecking in a small plane.

Trigger Happy
04-03-2015, 01:31 AM
And why ya need them..unless you have restr.guns:idea:

Because we have kids!!!! And it's SAFE!

Brez
04-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Over the last few years the best thing I've learned is that it's not about what I shoot, but about how much time I am able to spend out there with one or both of my sons :)
X2! .......and now my grandson.

Brno22F
04-04-2015, 04:06 PM
I learned that a box of clay targets and a hand thrower can add a whole lot of fun to a day of grouse hunting

604redneck
04-04-2015, 07:20 PM

Waterbottle....spotting scope we will never know the truth

shortrange
04-05-2015, 02:17 AM
A good pair of boots is more important than a good gun.

orangestepside
04-06-2015, 07:41 AM
i learned that if there is even the tiniest branch between you and the buck .... the arrow WILL hit that branch

Fella
04-06-2015, 08:57 AM
1. In deer season, don't be picky with your first tag. Meat tastes better than a large set of antlers.
2. Make sure you have sharp knives and a bright headlamp with you at all times. Dull knives make gutting and quartering an animal take twice as long, which means it'll get dark before you're done, and having 1 dinky headlamp to share with two guys while doing the work makes things challenging.

two-feet
04-06-2015, 08:58 AM
A 2 1/2 year old son makes a great grouse retriever

DeadlyGame
04-06-2015, 09:11 AM
If your bringing a first timer out from the city, don't let him charge his phone so he can text his girlfriend... He had the wire wrapped around my bolt so when I saw a 6 ft bore on the side of the road I jumped out with this damn phone charger wrapped around my bolt I couldn't even feed a round in by the time the bear hit the tree line....

MichelD
04-06-2015, 12:32 PM
When you meet another guy hunting the same neck of the woods as you who says he's never shot a deer there in the afternoon/evening, don't listen to him.

hare_assassin
04-06-2015, 01:50 PM
I learned....

- The first few seasons, I was really, really lucky (with big game).

- 300 yards isn't too far.

- Hares are easy to hunt, but still a hell of a lot of fun.

-When your partner drives a 6mm copper into the ground about 4 feet from you, he feels way worse about it than you do.

ruger#1
04-06-2015, 02:57 PM
A good dog , Is better then a bad dog. Squirrels give away the deer in the area. Listen for their chatter and watch in their direction.

kilometers
04-06-2015, 03:16 PM
After you shoot your moose gut it and head back to the truck to get the pack frames, don't foget to grab your compass, gps, water and sweater outta your day pack before returning to the kill site.
Even a well marked trail can get lost in the darkness and wondering around with a moose quarter on your back in the dark, lost, isn't that fun

Angus
04-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Make sure the damned thing is dead before you get too close. Or you can end up with an extra couple of hours of work packing it back up steep hills!

browningboy
04-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Learned weisers is much better than crown royal, and I seen lots of game without camo! Imagine that! Lol

wideopenthrottle
04-07-2015, 07:39 AM
try alberta springs whisky...it is even better..
wide

wideopenthrottle
04-07-2015, 08:03 AM
I learned that when moose hunting, that silver tip bullet of unknown weight is not to be considered a "magic" bullet.
I learned that a good sized moose rib can absolutely stop a "magic bullet"
I relearned why with big animals, you keep shooting until its down then be ready to shoot again...
I learned connecting two quads together (like a train) can pull even the largest moose out of rough terrain whole...
wide

604ksmith
04-07-2015, 08:12 AM
#1= Turn your cellphone off, missed a wolf cause of the wife
#3= Don't sleep in a tent in 7-38
#4= Patience is about smelling the flowers and enjoying your own time
#5= Wolves are super smart, don't bother returning for a week
#6= Don't use trigger locks, combo only when you have kids
#8= Research, plan, research again, and plan some more
#9= Sneakers are way quieter then boots
#11= Don't shoot if it's almost dark in grizzly country

Care to elaborate on #3 and #11?

Glad to see you made it out of said tent and back from dusk in Grizzly territory.

finngun
04-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Because we have kids!!!! And it's SAFE! ////good point,,and i like ya
member name---:shock::wink::wink: maybe another reason?cheers f-g:redface:

Trigger Happy
04-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Yes I can def elaborate, wall tents are fine but the constant sniffing of large animals and barking/moans from a grizz is un-nerving. I could hear natives driving around and the thought of them burning my shit and tent with me in it. Especially when you read all the horror stories of 7-38-7-41 before you go.
#11 was the issue, helping a friend drag his game out, and that same grouchy bear stalked us out and seemed aggressive prob looking for grub for her babies, but mostly the unsettling feelings and emotions you go through knowing your on the menu. Then to guard this meat till the morning in the above mentioned tent in horrifying. If I had a grizz tag I would have put her down, ending her bitchy life, so I could sleep at night. PS. To newbie hunters it's good to research and plan but don't watch too many videos and spook yourself out like I did! Good luck everyone on an enjoyable and successful 2015 hunt :). Happy

Trigger Happy
04-09-2015, 10:23 AM
////good point,,and i like ya
member name---:shock::wink::wink: maybe another reason?cheers f-g:redface:

Always looking for new buddies bro :)