PDA

View Full Version : Delta City Council discussing closure of Roberts Point/Bank

J-Man
12-19-2012, 02:00 PM
The council meeting on December 17th they were discussing closing hunting along Roberts Point/Bank. The area between the end of River Road and 34th St. Due to complaints from dog walkers and the like that they didn't feel safe with people walking around with guns. I would suggest writing letters to council and also alerting the BCWF, maybe the can lobby the City to drop the discussion. Which is based purely on discrimination against hunters. As I'm unaware of any actual incidents where public safety has been threatened, and no incidents were brought up in the meeting. The meeting was recorded and will eventually be online as a podcast, but it is currently not available. I will be writing a letter to council, I suggest others follow suit to keep this area open.

edit
Also one member brought up closing Boundary Bay 80th to 64th in October, which then turned into a new bylaw talk. Where anyone shooting with 180m of the dykes can only shoot seaward.

It is requested that the "Discharge of Firearms Bylaw No. 2155,1974" be amended to
restrict the discharge of firearms to a seaward direction if the hunter is located within
180 m (591 ft) of the outside toe of the dike, between 64 Street and 80 Street

pnbrock
12-19-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't feel safe with them walking dogs.

CRS
12-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Can you post a link as to where to send letters!?!? Will there be more public forums in which to speak?

J-Man
12-19-2012, 02:28 PM
I sent my letter to mayor-council@delta.ca

Their meetings are in this link,
http://www.corp.delta.bc.ca/assets/Clerks/PDF/council_calendar.pdf

But I don't know when the next discussion around this particular topic will happen. A non hunting friend of mine was at the Dec 17th meeting for another reason and brought this to my attention this morning. Searching their site I was able to find the bylaw change talked about above.
https://delta.civicweb.net/Documents/DocumentList.aspx?ID=83655

Ike
12-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't feel safe with them walking dogs.

There's truth to that statement
More people have probably been bit by dogs out there than shot by duck hunters.

burger
12-19-2012, 03:59 PM
There's truth to that statement
More people have probably been bit by dogs out there than shot by duck hunters.

That could be one of your arguments. Have council show the frequency of incidences with dogs vs incidences with hunters

Dano
12-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I believe Delta has a hunting committee that has hunters who work with council advisers on these matters. Hopefully someone will post some information here.
We had some success emailing Coquitlam Council last year when the same issues came up out here. They were very impressed with the informative and respectful emails they received from hunters and I think it was a big part of persuading some councilors to allow bird hunting in Coquitlam to continue. Keep that in mind when you send any emails.
Keep us up to date,
Dano

keoke
12-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Wrote a letter and sent it in. Lets not loose another local hunting area

The Dawg
12-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Write Scott Hamilton on council there

I know for a fact he was a hunter

J-Man
12-19-2012, 09:11 PM
I believe it was Scott taking a stance against the closure on Monday. One councilor is very pro-hunting, but there is another that is anti. And that was the one that brought up the topic of why not close these areas. I don't think it will get closed, but I foresee some bylaws most likely changing for that area as well.

J-Man
12-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Jeannie Kanakos (http://www.delta.ca/EN/main/mayor/council-members/j_kanakos.html)is the anti hunting.

Bruce McDonald (http://www.delta.ca/EN/main/mayor/council-members/b_mcdonald.html)and Scott Hamilton (http://www.delta.ca/EN/main/mayor/council-members/s_hamilton.html)are pro hunting.

Talking to my buddy that was present, Kanakos was complaining about people jumping out of the grass in their camo and guns and scaring people walking. Bruce shot her down pretty quick. Sounds like she was talking out of her ass but trying to paint us in a really bad light.

S

f350ps
12-19-2012, 11:13 PM
If you go to Delta's website you can get all the email addies, I've sent them a few emails over the years and was surprised by the quick responses I got. Of course they always tell you what you wanna hear then vote against you but it doesn't hurt to voice your opinion, which I will do in the morning! This area should be the very least of their worries as it's not nearly as well used by dog walkers as the dykes on the bay. K

f350ps
12-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Just to add to my above post, Ian Paton is a local farmer and is very pro hunting along with Bruce McDonald and Lois Jackson, you can be assured they will help us as much as they can but I would be grinding the shit outta Kanakos, Campbell, Bishop and Hamilton. A carefully worded email will shut this B.S. down. K

fowl language
12-20-2012, 07:12 AM
fellas, i think you might be jumping the gun a bit.there is a hunting committee in place in delta ,of which two of them are members on this forum,i was with one last night that has his finger on the pulse and nothing was mentioned to me about it.let,s let cooler heads prevail at least till it is investigated by the committee and reported back here.i will make the call this am. and get back to you.why right a letter that will fall on deaf ears if there is no need to write one. every years there are complaints by the same people over and over ,mostly they fall on deaf ears....at the last hunting committee meeting it was the same old stuff and nothing was mentioned about this.like kelly said most are in favour of hunting as it has a long tradition in delta.....dale

*bcgold*
12-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Ian Paton isn't he a farmer should be pro hunting also. Delta Council is a joke, one complaint, and they will have a session. (personally know) Delta opened up a big place for dog walkers by the airport. Its a health issue, no one ever cleans up the mess. They're looking for a new area. I'll send a letter also.

limit time
12-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Taaaggggggg....

markt308
12-20-2012, 10:37 AM
how interesting it is. i'm sure more people are attacked by dogs than random people are shot by bird hunters in the LML.

f350ps
12-20-2012, 10:48 AM
I just did some enquiring and this is nothing more than some NIMBY whining to the only person that will listen, that being Kanakos! I'd let this one rest! K

J-Man
12-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Good to hear. I don't think anyone wrote an irate letter. So the 5 or so pro hunting letters they got can't hurt.

sae
12-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Better idea lets band together a demand an oct 10 to jan 20 restricted access to the dyke due to a cultural event,

yamadirt 426
12-20-2012, 05:53 PM
I know from experience a letter with an off tone doesn't make it passed the secretary.

Malley Whacker
12-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I wish you guys would get all the faxs before you start spouting off about things you don't have a clue about. The Complaint that was brought to Delta council was not about Roberts bank Brunswick point area it was about the Boundry bay area.And it had nothing to do with dog walkers. The person wrote 2 letters to council complaining about duck hunting in the bay. So why are we bringing atention to areas that don't need any more atention then the already get. Cllr. Paton and Cllr Mcdonald have both responded to the complaint and that as far as it needs to go for now. The topic on the adgenda was to put in place the 180 meter shooting area along the dyke from 64th street to 80th street. This new bylaw is being put in place because the alternative was a closure of the area. That was the recomondation of the Delta Hunting Committee. So no need to get you panties in a knot. The hunting committee has things under control just do us the favor and stick to the rules. My two cent.:evil:

limit time
12-20-2012, 09:48 PM
I wish you guys would get all the faxs before you start spouting off about things you don't have a clue about. The Complaint that was brought to Delta council was not about Roberts bank Brunswick point area it was about the Boundry bay area.And it had nothing to do with dog walkers. The person wrote 2 letters to council complaining about duck hunting in the bay. So why are we bringing atention to areas that don't need any more atention then the already get. Cllr. Paton and Cllr Mcdonald have both responded to the complaint and that as far as it needs to go for now. The topic on the adgenda was to put in place the 180 meter shooting area along the dyke from 64th street to 80th street. This new bylaw is being put in place because the alternative was a closure of the area. That was the recomondation of the Delta Hunting Committee. So no need to get you panties in a knot. The hunting committee has things under control just do us the favor and stick to the rules. My two cent.:evil:

so...how is a 180 meter bylaw going to change anything? Not trying to be rude...but, an anti will still complain until its closed. No?

limit time
12-20-2012, 09:52 PM

Am I correct to say, you can still hunt in the 180 meters, you just can't shoot towards the dike?
When does the bylaw come into effect?
thanks.

limit time
12-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Sorry MW, would this be a good time to send letter in appreciation to council thanking them for not closing the area? Do a little "brown nose".

f350ps
12-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Thank christ she never wrote four letters or we'd be really f%$ked, I find it unbelievable that two letters can threaten hunting off the dyke! And as far as people "getting their panties in a knot" you should be thankfull that people do get pissed off and write letters! My two cent. K

fowl language
12-20-2012, 10:08 PM
just to be politically correct,i believe it,s panties in a bunch......let,s see were this goes....fowl

J-Man
12-20-2012, 10:22 PM
MW I stand by what I said in post #11 as what happened. Since my friend was in attendance and has confirmed that was what she said. As for the committee no one is trying to do their job. But your comments MW make no sense, so we should only let the anti's have a voice is that your opinion? Because we aren't ashamed or afraid to stand up for what we believe in. I'm glad people like f350ps used their voice and wrote some pro hunting letters. Myself I wrote about the benefits of having local public duck hunting the areas.

And as far as people "getting their panties in a knot" you should be thankfull that people do get pissed off and write letters! My two cent. K
I agree, the antis are always more vocal. We need to stick together, when I read issues on HBC even about areas I don't hunt I write a letter in support of our community.

Malley Whacker
12-20-2012, 10:39 PM
The 180 meters had nothing to do with the complaint that Delta just got it was from complaint from last season in regards to the greenhouse and glass being broken So to answer your questions LT you can still hunt within the 180 meters you just have to to shoot seaward.The bylaw is not in place yet maybe for next season. I don't think letters to council are needed at this time. And like I said in my post why bring attention to thing that don't need any more attention. If you have questions call. I sit on the hunting committee 604 841 5369. As for your comment Kelly I am glad people get pissed enough to write letters. I have no problem with people writing letters but the letter needs to writen on FACT not hearsay,and as far as the letters from the complainent it had nothing to do with the talk of the closing of the dyke. There was no talk of closing the dyke.

fowl language
12-21-2012, 07:30 AM
j man,apparantly what your friend supposedly heard was not mentioned in the last meeting minutes which were recorded. if it was said i wonder if it wasn,t in passing ,perhaps after the meeting...we encounter this quite often with people not hearing things correctly....a;ways check your source....fowl

J-Man
12-21-2012, 02:22 PM
So finally today I was shown the podcast of the meeting and was able to watch the discussion. It starts at 2:30:00 hrs and goes to 2:35:00 hrs, what my friend heard and what I watched now. They were discussing the amendments to the 180m Seaward discharge bylaw. And Kanakos said when she was at the dyke some hunter sat down on a bench and shot seaward at some birds. And since the dyke is a park why are firearms allowed in the dyke parks where people ride their bike and kids walk. Then Bruce was given a chance to speak and said among other things, "if this is an attempt to discuss wheather we should have hunting in delta I don't appreciate it."

Marsh Hawk
12-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Being as I am the other sitting member on the committee, I figured I better add my 2 cents. We are very fortunate in Delta to have a good working relationship with council thru our Hunting Comittee. What MW is trying to say is that we need well thought out, factual letters sent to council, not letters from someone who is pissed off that they might close an area and flies off half cocked. Facts and not emotion are crucial here (the title of this thread even refers to an area that was not being discussed). The proposed change in Boundary Bay was recommended by our committee to avoid a total closure of that area. A small price to pay to stop the damage to the greenhouse glass panels from falling shot (we were shown pictures of the damage and the shot collected from their gutter system). By all means, get your pen moving and write a letter to council to support hunting but please be factual and respectful when you do. The reaction from Coquitlam council was pleasant surprise when we got to work earlier this year.