PDA

View Full Version : Coyote hunting help!

backcountrybowhunter
12-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Have been out several times with no luck calling with a rabbit distress. But have been seeing coyotes every time out in packs of 3 or 4 just much too far off to shoot. All sightings have been within about a 2 km square area open fields with hills and timber patches. Any advice would help a lot thanks!

Bc Deer Hunter
12-18-2012, 05:22 PM
What are you hunting with a gun or bow??

backcountrybowhunter
12-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Have both with me.

egr
12-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Move to another area. Sounds like you may have got caught and are educating them, Or either that try a new call mix things up.

backcountrybowhunter
12-18-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't think I got caught because I never seen them while calling only while driving.

rocksteady
12-18-2012, 05:58 PM
I have never had grat success calling until almost x-mas. The rifle deer season closes Nov 30 and there is still a fair amoi.t of bow Hunters out and about. Give it another week and they will not be seeinhHunter expept pred Hunters, so they will relax and be easier to call...

Just my experience.

Typing on my phone, forgive the spelling

treeclimber
12-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Keep the Wind in your face and the sun at your back, be quiet when your approaching a new set to call because they will bust you and you'll never know, I use the primos lil dog call works great you can howl, bark and makes a killer distress squeal, I never wait anymore than about 7-10 min per set(maybe cause of my ADHD) but usually they come barrelin in the first 2or3 min of calling.i use the distress call in 40 second(ish) intervals with a min or so pause in-between, I usually howl and bark a couple times after a distress series, keep a 12 g on your lap cause lotsa times you don't seem em till they are in your lap. Hope this helps

604redneck
12-18-2012, 07:32 PM
find a rancher with a sick cow or animal that will go to waste and put it down and sit.....only way u will educate them is by missing or wounding...lol
i only sit on my sets for 15-20 mins and do the same as above 30-40 secs with a distress then 1-2mins off throw in a yip,bark or howl every once in a while and it works....if u have bobcats in ur area try a woodpecker distress call leave it on 30 secs-1 min then off for 2 and repeat....dont move a muscle a cat will sit there and watch u for quite awhile so dont let him get a visual. also cats hunt by sight not by smell so dont worry as much about the wind.

NovemberBravo
12-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Would a primos elk call work? It is fairly high pitched as to mock a female elk and we can use it in short bleats.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Would a primos elk call work? It is fairly high pitched as to mock a female elk and we can use it in short bleats.

If theres elk in the area yep!! I would make high pitch barks/ distress calf sounds.. keep in mind it will most likely scare the acual elk out of the area, not a good thing if you plan on hunting them later on!!

NovemberBravo
12-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks! We are heading out to Princeton later this week so we will make sure to bring the call.

vip_ruger
12-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Ive called in a half dozen so far this year and ive been useing a female coyote call for about 15 sec then wait for a min or two then use a deer in distress call about 2 or 3 min after that then every 3 to 4 min till about 20 to 25 min if nothing move to next set stand position and wind are key to being sucsessful and try to set up to give u the maxuim visiblitly and sit where u think the least likey spot they are going to come in from behind u. This way you have the best chance at seeing them before they see u. Because they are sneaky and queit coming in. As the season progersses in to late jan and into feb the calling becomes easyer and they start coming in pairs due to breeding . Good luck more time spent .better odds on conneting

backcountrybowhunter
12-18-2012, 10:53 PM
thank you for all the advice i appreciate it really want to do my part and help out with the coyote population this winter in the areas i hunt. Have noticed alot more predators kicking around this season. Gonna try to get a few coyotes on the ground and then try my luck at a bobcat. Good luck to all you who will be pursuing these wily buggers this winter!

backcountrybowhunter
12-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Well I don't know what to say. Have been going hard all day for the past week. Using a primos turbo dog electronic caller and mouth calls. Threw every possible call I could in different areas with fresh coyote tracks and nothing. Then I see a coyote at 800 + yards and sneak out to the edge of the field do a rodent in distress squeak and the bloody thing turns and hightailed for the timber. Just don't know what else to try. Been everywhere from clear its power lines. Farmers fields swamps ponds river banks and still can't get one to show its self.....

hunter1993ap
12-21-2012, 05:51 PM
i was using a cow elk call this evening and trying to sound like a rabbit in distress. the coyotes were howling just in the timber at about 500 yards but would not come out.

Malley Whacker
12-21-2012, 06:28 PM
I use a crow call make it scream like a baby or wounded rabbit seems to work for me.

KTownKiller
12-21-2012, 06:50 PM
I've had great hunting useing Dan Thompson calls. http://danthompsongamecalls.com/ They are hand made out of hardwood in Wyoming, and the wood gives them a very realistic sound. I threw out all my plastic ones after I tried these. I've had yotes come within 10 feet! I also found that I needed a GOOD rangfinder and a bipod. Stoney Point makes a good compact one. Wholesale Sports carries them. It also helps to use different calls and calling patterns because yotes quickly get use to them. One more thing, your shots won't scare yotes away sometimes. If you shoot one, just wait a bit and keep calling if needed and you may get another chance at more. But try never to over call, you want to make it as realistic as possible.
Good luck, and go blast 'em!:mrgreen:

backcountrybowhunter
12-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Starting to wonder I'd they're just to pressured from the fall hunting season haven't so much as even had one answer

KTownKiller
12-21-2012, 09:19 PM
I could be wrong, but my guess would be all the cheap calls on the market and most guys calling too much and educating the yotes. Dan Thompson is a great guy to talk to about all this. His phone number is on his website, and it is well worth calling him. He doesn't like e-mail much. Once I talked to him and got his calls, I was wack'n yotes like crazy!:-D

Trophyslayer
12-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Bait bait and more bait go to a butcher and ask for the stuff they throw away or a taxidermist for partial skulls the smellier the better

backcountrybowhunter
12-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Put out some bait tonight. We will see what the morning brings

KTownKiller
12-22-2012, 03:30 PM
That should work, if you happen to be there when they are, but WAY more fun watching them come running in to your own calling. But too each his own.

boxhitch
12-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Think of it as feeding , not baiting. They will be back in the area sometime for another easy meal. Maybe not on your schedule , but then again maybe the timing brings things together.
good luck , peel them early

KTownKiller
12-24-2012, 09:11 AM
How's the feeding program go'n? I got to get out there and try calling some in again.:)

Jetboat
12-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Try a visual attractor together with calling. A coyote sihouette decoy, Foxpro Jack-in-the-Box type decoys, Whirley bird styles, or simple feather on a string all do the same thing, get and hold a predators attention. It may give you the edge needed to bring 'em in.