PDA

View Full Version : Export permit for a BC grizzly and sheep to a taxidermist??

Call of the Wild
12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
He guys I’m planning to bring my stone sheep and grizzly hide to a taxidermist in the Edmonton area tomorrow, leaving very early in the morning. I just talked to the taxidermist and he informed me to verify if I’m required an out of province export permit. I can’t find a single clear answer to my question and I don’t want to take chances of having my sheep and bear seized.

From the regulation book here’s what I found:

1) It is unlawful to export wildlife from BC unless you have a valid export permit or are exempted from holding an export permit

2) An export permit is required if the animal is exported more than 1 year after the date of kill.
- Which is not my current situation, both animals were harvested in October of this year.

3) An export permit is not required if the hunter accompanies their animal within 1 year of the kill AND provides the cancelled species licence and (where Compulsory Inspection is required) the Compulsory Inspection Data Sheet.
- Conflict with the first bullet and I’m bringing my hunting license, tag booklet and CI papers.

4) When a big game animal has been processed by a taxidermist, a tanner or meatcutter, it may be exported with an export permit to the hunter who lives in another province or in another country.
- That’s if the taxidermist operates within BC. I’ll contact the Ministry to know if I need a permit/or a new permit to bring my BC grizzly and sheep back into BC when they’re mounted since I’m sending them to a shop in Edmonton.

I’m asking because I don’t want to take a chance to put the taxidermist in trouble and myself plus the possibility of loosing these two animals for something stupid if a check is ever done in either province. From what I understand it’s not clear with 1 and 3, I’ll postpone my trip if I don’t have an answer. I understand I’m last minute on this but I never tough of the export permit and the provincial offices are now close to get an answer.

Hopefully someone in the know can provide a valid answer.

Walking Buffalo
12-17-2012, 09:07 PM
When did you kill the Sheep and Bear? Within the last 12 months?

Call of the Wild
12-17-2012, 09:32 PM
I harvested the sheep and the grizzly in October of this year. I'm considering now to go next month which will allow enough time to contact the proper people and to get the permits if I'm required such piece of paper.

elkdom
12-17-2012, 09:40 PM
you will find export permits for wildlife and fur harvested in reg 7B will be sent for final approval to the Treaty 8 Band Council ,allow ample time for these permits to be processed,,,,

trapntrav
12-17-2012, 10:14 PM
I believe your CI paperwork can be used as an export permit for one month after the date of the inspection, after that, gonna have to get another permit. I thought you could just go to the government agent and get one the same day though???

Ambush
12-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Do you need a permit to simply "take" them to Alberta? You're not leaving them there permanently are you?

Wild Images
12-18-2012, 07:12 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/export_permit.html#steps

whitetailsheds
12-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Do you need a permit to simply "take" them to Alberta? You're not leaving them there permanently are you?

That's how how I understand the CITES permit. If you are relocating. Had most of my taxi work done in Alberta, don't recall ever getting a permit to take it to a taxi. Needed a letter to transport when a buddy took a wolf to a Red Deer taxi for me.
You can write your own letter, but the CO's do have a form letter you can fill in the blanks. Makes it easier so you don't forget any info.

whitetailsheds
12-18-2012, 09:38 AM
I think you are good to go Mike. I'll follow up on it to make sure.

Skull Hunter
12-18-2012, 09:43 AM
I sort of went through this same thing last year. I brought my Caribou up to Whitehorse to get a euro mount done. My research led me to the understanding that all I needed to bring with me were my license and CI report. To get it back to BC however, I needed an export permit from the Yukon since it was now a "finished wildlife product". The process to get the permit seemed to be a simple enough when explained to me, but the taxidermist took care of all of that.

whitetailsheds
12-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Mike, you are good to go within a year for that bear. There is an export permit if you wait longer than a year for the bear. And for what it's worth the CITES is out of country. It's all on the link that Ken (Wild Images) provided.

Call of the Wild
12-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Well I talked to a CO and I’m not required a permit since they are mine and I’m doing the transportation. I’ll carry with me my hunting license, cancelled tag and CI papers. Thanks Grant we talked to the same guy.

I visit that taxi shop and check his work before I leave them there in January and I can’t wait to get them back but at the same time the bank account doesn’t agree with me!!! hahaha