PDA

View Full Version : Stalked By Wolves...

12-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Last year my dad and my brother were in region 3 moose hunting. They were sitting on a knoll overlooking a moose meadow, when 200 yards away a wolf popped out of the timber and into the meadow. My dad turned on the video cam and started filming, as another 4 wolves came out. He thought it was pretty cool, until he noticed that they were moving towards him in a semi-circle formation. The wolves were hunched down in the meadow, and would move short distances before stopping and looking at others, communicating. Needless to say, at this point the video camera turns off and the gun starts blazing :-D He tried to identify the pack leader and take him out first, and then nailed a second one as they were running away. He thought it was pretty crazy because wolves are not known to attack or hunt people, but it was very evident that they were coming for him. Maybe they thought he was a moose from his calling?? Anybody else have a similar experience?

Sofa King
12-17-2012, 11:48 AM
i'd say they were obviously coming to his calling.
similar to a bear or cougar coming to elk calls.

misleading title, as he wasn't actually stalked, per-say.
this was more of wolves being called in.

12-17-2012, 11:58 AM
What do you think they would have done when close enough to see he wasn't a moose? Turned and left?

Glenny
12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Where bouts in region 3 if you don't mind me arsken.

finngun
12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
300--He tried to identify the pack leader and take him out first, and then nailed a second one as they were running away.//

was he able to nail some of them:confused:

huntingmom
12-17-2012, 12:50 PM
I agree with duallie. The wolves were repsonding to the call.

We had a similiar experience that happened to us this year out on our deer hunt.
My husband was huddled in some dense underbrush next to a well used deer trail. Anyways...after half hour of using the deer call....he here's this predator coming for him. The branches are breaking under this animal's weight. Of course.... he tries to load his 300 win mag and the rifle woudn't take. So..now he's struggling with his gun and the animal is coming closer in a faster pace. It was like at the last minute when the rifle took the bullet with a click-click ... and the animal decided to 'get out of Dodge'.
I was 100 yrds away (with my girls) armed with a slug-filled 20 guage and I hear this animal crashing through the forest like a dinosaur. It was freaky.
I was very thankful that my husband came out unscathed by this.

It's always to good to be on your toes when calling in prey.

Ozone
12-17-2012, 12:56 PM
If your pulling the video camera out first, sorry but your doing it wrong. Shoot first, then film.

One Shot
12-17-2012, 01:03 PM
i'd say they were obviously coming to his calling.
similar to a bear or cougar coming to elk calls.

misleading title, as he wasn't actually stalked, per-say.
this was more of wolves being called in.

X2...I agree with duallie. Came to the source of the call. Just getting closer to make sure the dammed moose weren't wearing camies again.

Drillbit
12-17-2012, 01:14 PM

We had a similiar experience that happened to us this year out on our deer hunt.
My husband was huddled in some dense underbrush next to a well used deer trail. Anyways...after half hour of using the deer call....he here's this predator coming for him. The branches are breaking under this animal's weight. Of course.... he tries to load his 300 win mag and the rifle woudn't take. So..now he's struggling with his gun and the animal is coming closer in a faster pace. It was like at the last minute when the rifle took the bullet with a click-click ... and the animal decided to 'get out of Dodge'.
I was 100 yrds away (with my girls) armed with a slug-filled 20 guage and I hear this animal crashing through the forest like a dinosaur. It was freaky.

Predators aside, a tip to help with success when calling animals, is to load the gun before they come. Loading it when they are in view is one more thing that may spook them.

huntingmom
12-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Predators aside, a tip to help with success when calling animals, is to load the gun before they come. Loading it when they are in view is one more thing that may spook them.

Thanks for the info....I'll pass this on to my other half.

Frango
12-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Yes very scary,you might want to buy your hubby a new firearm for xmas.

BigfishCanada
12-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Happened to me last year, I wasn't calling, and the wolves new I was there long before I knew..i didn't shoot, (friend was hiking near) so it happens, id say just because they were circling doesn't mean they would have attacked (Not to say they wouldnt have either) in my case they never came within 25 yards but circled me, One note was the deer (Does) we running towards me as if they got close to me the wolves wouldn't follow

12-17-2012, 01:51 PM
^For once in their life the humans provided safety for the deer haha! 25 yards is pretty close!

Walking Buffalo
12-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Regardless of how the wolves end up in close contact with a person (calling, pure co-incidence, wolves tracking the person), the potential for the wolves to attack is there. As the wolf population begins to experience stresses from starvation and or disease, the potential for wolf on human predation/attacks increases.

This is a reality with wolves, not experienced by most of the last couple of generations of people, thanks to a continuous effort to keep the wolf population low. Look into history, past and recent. Wolves will and do predate on humans, especially children.

ianwuzhere
12-18-2012, 12:14 AM
i called in a wolf to bout 10yrds cow callin elk(didnt know it was there)- caught up with it bout 30min later and wacked em..

Shooter
12-18-2012, 12:28 AM
I was told before that you should always try to take the alphas out last... Anyone else heard this? I was told that the Alphas are the only ones allowed to breed in the pack but if you kill them the pack will all breed and populate faster.

The Dude
12-18-2012, 01:10 AM
300....any vid of this? Any way to get your dad's tape?
Also, he killed two? Is it on my other thread?

hunter1947
12-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Same thing happened to me 30 years ago up near Fort Nelson when moose hunting ,,the one lead wolf regretted it he was one dead wolf when I had finished with him..

decker9
12-18-2012, 09:02 AM
I had a simaler thing happen to me years ago, I had it wrote up on one of dudes posts, so just copied and pasted it here, sorry about the drawn out read...

Back in 03' i was huntng deer in mid nov, came to the end of a road, noticed a little lake about 200yards down a steep thick bushed hill, with a nice open poplar stand across it, so decided to sneak down and have a glass around. I got down to the edge of the little lake and noticed a lone wolf on the ice, about 100' off the shore.
The ice wasent very good ice on the lake, and where the wolf was laying, i figured it wouldent be safe to go on the ice to retrieve the wolf if i killed it right there, cause it would have been over my head if i broke threw. He dident know i was there so i snuck back to my truck to get my "deer squeeker"
When i got back down to the lake the wolf was out in the middle, about 250 yards or so. I got sat down in the willows and ready, i think the wolf herd me, but dident know what i was. I had my gun ready and loaded, "only the 4 shells in my magazine"
I dident get 3 squeeks out of my call, and WOW! the lake came alive! I dident see the other 13 wolves laying on the other side of the lake before i started calling. These wolves dident stretch, yawn, nothin, just up and on a dead run towards the willow bush i was in, all 14 of them! straight at me. The lake was about 4-500yards across, with thin rotton ice on it, I thought to myself, start shooting! but being the ethical guy i am, I couldent shoot unless I was certin i could retrieve the dogs, and i new it wouldent be safe to go on the ice to retrive them if i killed any.

Infront of me, the weeds were still poking out of the ice, a little higher then my point of aim, so from where i was sitting i could only see the far side of the lake beacuse the weeds were obstrckting my veiw.
I had in my mind, when the first wolf jumped over the weeds infront of me "20 yards" i would shoot, cause if it died there, and i went out on the ice, and fell threw, it wouldent be over my head. I had my scope on 9 power from when i first seen the wolves. Looking threw my scope i could just see back hair coming right at me, looking over top the weeds from my sitting position, getting closer, and closer.
Then my whole scope went black! bang! shot the wolf out of mid air as he came over the weed clump infront of me, ya, at 20 yards!
He flopped out on the ice, about 30-40 yards out, far enuff that i dident think i would be able to retrieve him, cause the ice was only a couple inches thick. Instintly i felt overwelmed with guilt. I stood up to see where all the other wolves went, to my suprise, they all surounded the dead wolf, scraping the ice, snapping teath, barking and howling, they were going nuts! and so was i! I never seen a wolf this close and personal before.
I kep telling myself, shoot! shoot more! but i just couldent, without knowing for sure i would be able to retrieve them all, well, 3 more cause thats all the ammo i had left in my 280.
This is where things got, well, frikin scary! I stood up, in hopes the wolves would run away so i could figure out how to get ths wolf off the ice, and when i stood, they all stood there in a line stairing at me. Every wolf but one was black, and they all had thoes freaky greenish eyes, every one was lookin me right in the eye, totally hipmotizing!
They were all still barking, growling, scrapping the ice, baring teeth... im not afraid to say, i was scared shitless!! and im not the kind to get, freaked out.
I dont know how long we sat like this for, prolly about 30 seconds, felt like hours tho, as all these thoughts went threw my mind, on what to do next. I decided to shoot the ice infont of them, in hopes that they would leave.

This was the game changer, from hunter to the hunted! here the wolves were no more then 40 yards infront of me, 13 now, 1 dead, when i shot infront of them, they split up, 4 ran down the lake to my right, and 5 ran to my left, leaving 4 infront of me still, these 4 were still surounding the dead wolf.

By now your prolly thinkin "what in the hell is this guy doing, frikin shoot!"...well, its just not that easy givin the situation, i was in a truly panic mode!, litarally scared stiff! LITERALLY! After the wolves split, and cut up behind me, thats when i realized i had to do something, fast! I ran up the hill to my truck, when i got in my truck i almost passed out from being out of breath and panicing, it was the first and only time in my life iv ever had a panic attack, to this day i cant figure out why i did.
Now, i drove down the road to pick up my hunting partner that i had dropped off earlier that morning, so he could tie a rope to me so i could go on the ice and retrive my dead wolf.

When we got back to the spot where my truck had been parked, there was wolf tracks all over! the wolves that had split up, had went down the lake about 100 yards to my left and to my right, cut into the bush behind my position, and followed my tracks to where my truck was parked.
When we got back to that spot, we could hear one wolf howling down on the lake, when we got down there the one grey wolf was running up and down the far shore line all alone, when she seen us she split, and we never seen or herd anything from the rest of the pack.

My thoughts are, that i happen to shoot the alpha male, when he fell dead, the rest of the pack dident know what to do, im guessing that they were in just a kill/what do we do mode because they'r main leader wasent alive to give them any other direction, like alphas do.
I have no doubt they would have chewed me up if i had not run, or shot a couple more maybe they would have backed off....sooo many things i would have done diffrently now looking back on it tho. To this day, i kick myself in the ass for not unloading my other 3 rounds on them.

I did document all of this with a camera after it happen, all the tracks where my truck was, the wolf tracks where they split up, the ice all scraped up from where they were all goin nut's around the dead wolf, but this was 10 years ago and cant find any of them, except this one that i have displayed.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/ss-1-1.jpg

The Dude
12-18-2012, 08:41 PM
If you ever find those pics Decker, I'd love to see 'em.
Friggin great read! Did you tan the hide?

pazz0
12-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Decker, that was a great story! And the pic seems to validate it that much more. Awesome.

gameslayer
12-19-2012, 12:19 AM
I have had a few funny Wolf experiences, had 5 come come in similar circumstances while I was moose calling (it is the calling for sure that does it had the same happen with a g-bear not fun) they circled my buddy with in 10 yards I was out on the cliff away from the bush but spotted one flanking him like a pro, but as soon as they heard us talk/yell the turned and burned scared shitless. We spotted them about 45 min prior below in the valley and the calling eventually brought them in. Acting like a food source is always a great way to bring in a preditor :wink:

decker9
12-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Hey thanks Dude and pazz.
Dude, after i shot the wolf, i was in a kinda wierd frame of mind for a couple days, wasent quite thinkin clearly, i took the wolf straight to town and sold him whole, got $300 bucks for him, dident even have to skin him, but now i kick myself in the arse!!, i phoned the taxidermist a week later to see about buying him back and getting a rug made, but he had already had a buyer for it.
I had a look around for the rest of my pictures after i posted it on your other thread there, but cant find them anywhere, i was pretty sure i had some video also, grr!. Im thinkin they got mixed up in the divorce i had a few years ago, and either wound up in her stuff, or thrown out. The partner that was with me had a camera also, ill be seeing him over the holidays here, ill see if he has any of these pics still, I would sure like to see them again also.

Walking Buffalo
12-19-2012, 10:40 AM
I was told before that you should always try to take the alphas out last... Anyone else heard this? I was told that the Alphas are the only ones allowed to breed in the pack but if you kill them the pack will all breed and populate faster.

That is one theory, but likely not very accurate in habitat where wolf densities are high.

Recent research shows that killing the Alpha wolves can result in an increased mortality rate on the remaining pack due to infighting and dispersion as the pack establishes new leadership.

Mulehahn
12-19-2012, 07:02 PM
A first-:shock:
A wolf attacks a trapper in Alaska on Dec. 13 while on a moving Ski-doo.
http://www.adn.com/2012/12/18/2728020/wolf-gashes-alaska-trapper-riding.html

Wow, and so it begins. How are the anti's going to defend this one. The wolf was starving because they trapped all the animals. I am a firm believer that the only reason that we the only reason we don't hear about more wolf attacks is because when it does happen there is usually noone left to tell the story. I have met to many people and heard to many stories of wolves circling people who weren't calling to believe that they wont attack. They just check to see the reward is worth the sacrifice and human is not much meat for a decent pack.

lineofsight
12-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Was having lunch atop a mountain close to Prince Rupert. Wolf came out of the bush sat 50 yards away from me looking at me. Then another came out and sat next to them. Thought to hear some more movement in bush. Dropped the sandwich, time to calmly leave the area. Didnt see any more wolves. Had carried a 12GA for weeks with work, not taken it with me for little day hike...

.257mag
12-21-2012, 08:04 PM
I had a pack surround me today while out predator hunting pretty neat expeirance they got within 20ft before I saw them got two out of probally 10

BlacktailStalker
12-21-2012, 08:07 PM
I had a pack surround me today while out predator hunting pretty neat expeirance they got within 20ft before I saw them got two out of probally 10

That is AWESOME ! Are you going to post up details/pics in a separate thread ?

pickle88
12-21-2012, 08:15 PM

pictures?.......

.257mag
12-21-2012, 08:24 PM
will try not very good at computer stuff

The Dude
12-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Email them to me if you like, chris at wolftracker dot see-eh .

Drillbit
12-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Hey Dude, you can post my wold pic if you want. I'm Jelvis with pics too.

The Dude
12-22-2012, 03:13 AM
Which pic is that, drillbit?

hunter1947
12-22-2012, 03:53 AM
Little off the subject but its to do with wolf incounters...

I looked at this picture of a head and what was left of the back bones etc of a domestic dog that was killed in BC the last few weeks not to mention any names.

Pictures of this eaten dog should be put out and advertised to the people that are against hunting wolfs and other predators and say how would you like this to happen to the dog you love so much,,,was not very nice picture to look at :( this dog was someones loved one that no longer will be around to give its love to the family ,,If I found the remains of my dog that wolfs had eaten up it would be a very terrible thing to see :(...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/528277_484554401588399_1190867400_n_1_.jpg

Drillbit
12-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Dude, I emailed you a pic of a Wolf I shot a couple weeks ago. No big deal if you can't find it.

It was a male. Weighed 128#. 7'2" N to T. Haven't done anything with the skull yet.

killman
12-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Little off the subject but its to do with wolf incounters...

I looked at this picture of a head and what was left of the back bones etc of a domestic dog that was killed in BC the last few weeks not to mention any names.

Pictures of this eaten dog should be put out and advertised to the people that are against hunting wolfs and other predators and say how would you like this to happen to the dog you love so much,,,was not very nice picture to look at :( this dog was someones loved one that no longer will be around to give its love to the family ,,If I found the remains of my dog that wolfs had eaten up it would be a very terrible thing to see :(...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/528277_484554401588399_1190867400_n_1_.jpg

Thats nasty....But good point.