PDA

View Full Version : Got stopped by a CO today

Angus
12-16-2012, 02:13 PM
At the end of hunt today, just as we were loading the boat onto the trailer, a CO pulled up and asked to see our paperwork. Nice to see that the guys are out there checking.

Unfortunately, saw more COs than ducks in the marsh today. I wondered why we were the only guys out there today. Though one of the fields on the way home must've had about 200 ducks splashing around in the puddles. Too close to the road, damn!

We need a freeze up to get them outta those fields.

heyblast
12-16-2012, 03:09 PM
There were only two of us there yesterday, glad I stayed in bed this morning and didn't go for another nothing hunt.

Buck
12-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Yep it has slowed and we need a freeze.Never bothered to get up early this weekend.

nano
12-16-2012, 04:11 PM
The field I was hunting this morning was dead only saw 3 ducks. I think I will take a rest on ducks and start steelheading

Crazy_Farmer
12-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Nothing but drakes this time of year. Matt did a solo hunt with morning. I was in the states and a few fields its sheet water on them were jammed full.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/4B733FC5-AA58-488D-BBEF-7A6A0A83CB4E-320-000000133951BB92.jpg

heyblast
12-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Should add also that the COs are around there more than you think but they can certainly use help in catching violators by calling RAPP or Enviroment Canada.

recoil
12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Got stopped by an RCMP at the roadside yesterday and he seemed to have no idea about shooting regulations and unfortunately we had left our fraser valley map at home, he ended up letting us go after a warning. Remimder to bring your regs even if you know them back to back the cops out there have no clue!

Saw lots of high fliers but only a couple came into our spread and somehow they were bulletproof!

field marshal
12-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Good job on the mixed drakes Matt!:-D----Cheers----Field Marshal.

Ian F.
12-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Got stopped by an RCMP at the roadside yesterday and he seemed to have no idea about shooting regulations and unfortunately we had left our fraser valley map at home, he ended up letting us go after a warning. Remimder to bring your regs even if you know them back to back the cops out there have no clue!

Saw lots of high fliers but only a couple came into our spread and somehow they were bulletproof!

Smartphone = online

yamadirt 426
12-18-2012, 08:46 AM

This really pissis me off. How hard is it to put out some info for these guys every yr at hunting time. Soo friggin easy to do.

mungojeerie
02-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Ive been waterfowling for just 3 years now, so far I haven't been stopped by a CO. I saw one drive past me just as I was slinging my shotgun onto my shoulder... He was looking right at me even after he passed me, thought yup he's coming back. But no... he just kept on truckin.

The RCMP on the other hand... uuuuggghhhhhhhh Personally I havent had problems, only dealt with one and thats because I called him on someone else, he was right proud to tell me he had copies of the regs in his car and everything lol.

Several of my friends have had bad run in's though... I have to wonder how hard it would be to educate officers, there are only a handful of RCMP in the Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge area you would think that they would at least know that hunting does take place here and be somewhat informed as to rules, regulations and hunting boundaries... after all responding to calls for "shots fired" or a "man with a gun" is a fairly big deal if your law enforcement.

yamadirt 426
02-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Ive been waterfowling for just 3 years now, so far I haven't been stopped by a CO. I saw one drive past me just as I was slinging my shotgun onto my shoulder... He was looking right at me even after he passed me, thought yup he's coming back. But no... he just kept on truckin.

The RCMP on the other hand... uuuuggghhhhhhhh Personally I havent had problems, only dealt with one and thats because I called him on someone else, he was right proud to tell me he had copies of the regs in his car and everything lol.

Several of my friends have had bad run in's though... I have to wonder how hard it would be to educate officers, there are only a handful of RCMP in the Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge area you would think that they would at least know that hunting does take place here and be somewhat informed as to rules, regulations and hunting boundaries... after all responding to calls for "shots fired" or a "man with a gun" is a fairly big deal if your law enforcement.

I have wondered this too. A simple press release , or apb, Or internal memo to point out the obvious. Man in camo with decoys dog and a robo duck is most likely not a criminal. I would love to hear if they advise the officers on this. Delta must I would hope. Surrey RCMP I doubt it , that be common sense.

Gateholio
02-04-2013, 11:50 PM
When I was the local club El Presidente, I sent letters to the Pemberton, Whistler and Squamish detachment advising them that hunting season was ramping up, and to expect ot see hunters with guns, and please get up to speed on the firearm transport laws. There had been several incidents with RCMP in the S2S area issuing warnings and seizures for transporting unrestricted guns with no trigger locks. One year i did this, the Squamish Sgt. called me and we had a good chat about many new RCMP coming from urban areas, not knowing the gun laws and their training sorta throws them under the bus, as they are taught that the presence of a gun = DANGER. He recognized the need to educate his officers in the differences between legitimate hunters and shooters and gang bangers. It was a very productive conversation. :)

No reason why the local clubs can't do the same in Delta Surrey etc.

Singleshotneeded
02-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Yup, would it be soooo hard for the sarge to tell his boys and girls that long guns don't need to be in a closed case
and don't require trigger locks in a vehicle with the owner of the guns? Handguns, yup, they have to be in a locked
case with ATT...but those long guns known as rifles and shotguns, they just need to be unloaded. Done! Go! :-)

Marsh Hawk
02-06-2013, 12:57 AM
In Delta we are lucky enough to have a Hunting Regulation Advisory Committee (a volunteer municipal committee) on which sits a member of the Delta PD. He is also an avid hunter. He usually sends out an internal memo to the department advising the members that hunting season is approaching and that a man with a gun call in a rural area during those times is most likely to be a hunter. In other areas (Surrey/Langley/Richmond) me and the boys usually call the RCMP detachment to advise them that it is the opening day of geese for example and that we'll be hunting in a ceratin location. We've found that it can save us a bunch of grief with them arriving Code 3. A bit of a pain in the ass but worth our time to make the call. Most of them are just uneducated about our chosen form of recreation.