PDA

View Full Version : An Ethics Question for All

HarryToolips
12-16-2012, 01:01 PM
So I'm a meat hunter primarily, although I prefer bucks and to obviously shoot anything with nice antlers. This being my 4th hunting season, this is the first one where I did not get a deer, and not for lack of trying and I got out alot this season. During the whitetail doe season, I had many opportunities to take whitetail does, but each and every time where I had a clear shot, a yearling/fawn would pop out, so I didn't shoot any of em, even though I could really use the meat. I just couldn't bring myself to shoot the mother doe, and the yearlings were too small and should be allowed to live longer anyway. Would you do the same? If you shoot the mother doe, what are the odds that the yearling(s) will make it? What are your thoughts all...

Bc Deer Hunter
12-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Good for you, i would have done the same. But if you really needed the meat and it was a yearling it would probally survive.

Jelvis
12-16-2012, 01:44 PM
fawn deer don't die when mommy gets killed, they go with the mommy's sister or daughter from the year b4 or any doe that comes along will let the fawn join in.
Moose calf is different they will have a major set back and prolly perish within a month or two.
calf not yearling don't get them mixed up, a calf sees it's first winter.
A fawn sees it's first winter a yearling saw one already.
Jelly ( Gunz and Roses) Pistols and Tulips

Sofa King
12-16-2012, 01:48 PM
i do the same.
not that i'm against shooting a doe, but it would feel wrong to me to know i'm shooting their mother.
i've never cosidered myself a bone-hunter, but after getting a couple good-sized deer and having some close encounters with some bruisers, i find myself holding out for that big-guy these days.
it doesn't bother me in the least to finish the season wothout a deer.
it's usually by choice, as i've passed on shooters in pursuit of a particular deer.

Gateholio
12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Fawns seem to get along fine without thier mother, they just join the herd. Besides, there isn't any shortage of white tails or there wouldn't be a doe season. And no guarantee that a wolf won't eat the fawn with or without mommy.

Sundance1972
12-16-2012, 01:56 PM
I've only taken one doe in 20+ yrs of hunting. She was in an open slash with nothing else around, so I took the shot. Felt like crap when a yearling popped out from behind a large stump. That was back in 1996 and I haven't put one in the crosshairs since.
As mentioned, a yearling would probably make it, but I don't hunt for survival so they have nothing to worry about from me.

hunterdon
12-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Very good attitude. As far as fawn survival is concerned, I think it depends on the area. In my area, there are lots of predators. Large cats and lots of coyotes. While as said already, most fawns will join up with other deer, but I think their survival rate will drop for a while anyways, until that time.

Trophyslayer
12-16-2012, 02:07 PM
It's a white tail there's to many of them you should have taken the doe the fawns are weaned off the mothers by the time of the rut if I recall

savagecanuck
12-16-2012, 02:26 PM
I have a personal issue with shooting Does. I just won't do it I can usually always get a Buck.Late in the season even bow hunting I can't help but think those WT does are already pregnant.Too each his own but for me does are out.I have raised my son the same way,he jokes about needing antlers anyway to drag them out of the bush.Happy hunting!

r106
12-16-2012, 02:47 PM
If one chose to not shot doe's then good for him. In that situation I would have taken the young one, as I am hunting for meat and not bone. In fact my hunting partner did just that this year with his muley doe draw.

warnniklz
12-16-2012, 03:06 PM
let's stir things up...???

SHOOT N' SCOOP!!! KILL 'EM ALL!!!!!!!!!

pieter
12-16-2012, 03:12 PM
about 42 years ago an old hunter told me if i shoot one doe i have killed my limit of deer with all the offspring we have lost in this day and age i don't think we have to kill does none of us are starving just some thing i was told about 42 years ago and i have never shot a doe and never will

tomahawk
12-16-2012, 03:13 PM
I have no issue with shooting does but I wont purposely shoot a doe that has a fawn with it, their are enough dry does around to harvest IMHO.

.300WSMImpact!
12-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Whitetail are very hardy, in other provinces people shoot deer they don't care much about doe or buck, the fawns always seem to make it, mule deer not so much

thumper1
12-16-2012, 04:54 PM
If you are concerned with lack of deer in your area, and not too concerned with the amount of meat you bring home - shoot the fawn. It has the lowest chance of survival over the winter, (with or without it's mom) and so it's removal will have the least impact on the deer herd.

Brambles
12-16-2012, 05:06 PM
I think your spot on!!

Piperdown
12-16-2012, 05:15 PM
good on you 2lips :) next year will be your year

M.Dean
12-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Last year for the WT Doe season, we were bound and determined for the older Grand Son to gun down a big fat WT Doe!!! Well, seems dam near everyone we seen, we'd seen it before and they had the Kids with them! Seen lots of Does with 2 fawns from that year, we had the Grand Son lined up for the perfect shot on quite a few, but sure as hell one or 2 of her litter would show up, and we'd end up taking pictures instead of taking home meat!!! But, if the freezers near empty it'd take away the "Awwww, aren't they cute" attitude real quick for most of us!!! So, I'd say if taking a Deer or 2 in the fall helps a guy and his family make ends meet through the winter, Does taste way better than Bucks!!!

boxhitch
12-16-2012, 05:39 PM
it'd take away the "Awwww, aren't they cute" attitude real quick'Cute' has no place in hunting, whether its horns on the wall or meat in the freezer. There is nothing wrong with filling our needs , just another faction of nature , the beat goes on.

ianwuzhere
12-16-2012, 05:55 PM
good on you.
just because its legal to do so i dont think its very ethical, unless there is a big problem with the animal in my opinion.
if it was a wolf on the other hand ;)

steel_ram
12-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Leaving a orphaned fawn is making life easier for the wolves.

mike_b
12-16-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure that the question has more to do with ethics then it does with personal preference. I would have to agree with you and some of the other guys and say that I'm in the same boat and wouldn't shot a doe with a fawn or yearling, and that I wouldn't shot a fawn or yearling. That just my preference. I few seasons ago, I did take a doe after watching her and waiting to see if she had a youngster with her. She didn't so I shot. It was the last day of the hunt and I had one more tag to cut.....

Jelvis
12-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Too many Bambi shows being watched lol. there all deer.

Mulehahn
12-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I guess I just don't understand. I agree it is up to each person to do what they want, but to me this is not an ethics question. There is no wrong answer, so therefore there is no right answer. There is nothing wrong with shooting a doe with a yearling. The argument that it will be killed by predators is mute, if a predator is going to kill it, it is dead and there is nothing a doe is going to do about it. Now, if there are population concerns that is a different matter, but given the ability of whitetails to expand that is unlikey aslong as regulations are followed it is unlikely. If we start deciding what animals to kill because they are cute then throw in the towel. The anti's win.

horshur
12-16-2012, 06:28 PM
shooting a doe may be the very best contribution a sportsmen can do to the overall health of the herd......there are biological limits to a range....doe harvest is an important part of management.

Jelvis
12-16-2012, 06:29 PM
You won't beat a button buck for delicious meat, tender, nice flavor, but not a lot of meat so yah can't have your Kate and Edith too.

Darksith
12-16-2012, 07:05 PM
shoot the fawn/yearling if you don't wanna shoot the mom. But your only gonna get 20lbs of meat or there abouts, but it will all be nice and tender. Butcher it yourself, cook the ribs and loins on the camp fire, take what steaks you can from anywhere, call the rest stir fry.

As far as what is right and what is wrong...simply do what you want, or feel is right for you. Don't listen to anyone here. Stick to your own ethics, they are obviously sound, take info from here and decide what is right for you. You may decide your ethics will change with more education, or they may not. There is no wrong choice.

Glenny
12-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Worse meat I ever had was a lactating muwl doe. Now sure how that goes with WT

Gateholio
12-16-2012, 07:51 PM
shooting a doe may be the very best contribution a sportsmen can do to the overall health of the herd......there are biological limits to a range....doe harvest is an important part of management.

Yup, but it's hard for lots of hunters to wrap their head around that concept. They think that if they shoot doe then they are "killing 3 deer at once" which is ridiculous of course.

italhunter
12-16-2012, 08:01 PM
It's a personal preference, IMO. When presented with a doe and fawn, I will take the fawn. Tastier meat on the fawn, and the doe lives to breed another day.

trapperRick
12-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Good on you

Jelvis
12-16-2012, 08:16 PM
One thing I like about shooting a fawn, they are easy to gut, the liver is real light and the size makes it very easy to sling over the shoulder and walk out with.
Jel .. tons of mule deer fawns around Kamloops all season .. the veal of the deer meat ..

MOWITCH SLAYER
12-16-2012, 08:17 PM
I've been chasing deer for over 35 years now , and have taken a couple of does. Once the tag was cut i always felt my personal challenge was never met. Now i set personal restrictions on my deer hunting . In the last 10 years i have not taken anything smaller than a 4 pt. This has lead to a few uncut tags, but i like the chase and nothing is more rewarding than a big racked buck . Now i leave the does to make more deer

604redneck
12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
fawn deer don't die when mommy gets killed, they go with the mommy's sister or daughter from the year b4 or any doe that comes along will let the fawn join in.
Moose calf is different they will have a major set back and prolly perish within a month or two.
calf not yearling don't get them mixed up, a calf sees it's first winter.
A fawn sees it's first winter a yearling saw one already.
Jelly ( Gunz and Roses) Pistols and Tulips
Very true here if you ever wanna bring a buck back in and the does spook try using a fawn distress mouth call. Does are protective of fawns and it doesnt have to be there own. Still good for you on not pulling the trigger without knowing but the fawn probably would have made it.

Big Lew
12-16-2012, 08:27 PM
I would think it's a matter of 'personal ethics', rather than community ethics. Unless the fawn(s) are late season and much younger than what's considered the norm, their survival chances shouldn't be much less provided the doe was shot within the normal hunting season. The same could be asked about young grouse where it is quite normal to see second broods barely able to fly during the beginning of legal hunting season. I personally won't shoot them, but a great many hunters have no qualms about it. Supposedly, the legal hunting seasons were/are designed to take survival concerns into consideration, so it's more a personal decision of one's own conscious or ethics.

Jelvis
12-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I've talked to many hunters in the passed and lately and was very surprized at how many do not like eating deer meat at all. And not only that a doe with fawns is usually the worst tasting of the deer shot. The doe is so worked up about taking care of the young she puts her own nutrition on hold with little foraging and just not relaxing, a (dry doe) is the best if you shoot a doe.
Most fellas like the post above have turned to four point or better, trophy hunting and they give the meat away to someone else.
This is very popular with many hunters I've talked to and I talk to dozens during the year.
Just don't like deer meat but love hunting big bucks for the racks. I've had hunters ask me to take the whole deers body and they keep the head, but my freezer is usually full so I say no I can't.
One fella hunts big bucks and if no one wants the meat he cooks it outside and feeds his dogs with it, his wife won't eat the meat and gets sick from the smell.
Jel .. Moose meat and elk seem to be liked more than deer for many ..

rides bike to work
12-16-2012, 08:41 PM
i look at it like this

you didnt shoot because it was to cute

so now your family doesnt get organic healthy red meat

you will now buy commercial raised beef full of who knows what and feeding it to your family

the white tail and its yearlings will continue to out breed and over populate our mule deer range

i thank the lord for the food he provides me and i dont think he cares if its a buck or doe

rocksteady
12-16-2012, 09:12 PM
I have no qualms in harvesting does. It is good for herd management. By this time the fawns will be weaned and will join up with another doe or herd of does.. Being that I can't take 2 wt bucks, I have the choice of a muley buck or a Whitey doe to supplement the wt buck in the freezer.

In my opinion, the wt doe is always better tasting than the muley buck... Plus I am running out of wall space for antlers in my garage :)

fearnodeer
12-16-2012, 09:14 PM
You did what your heart told you to do, Congrats i would take a doe myself but respect what you did as well.

TexasWalker
12-16-2012, 09:40 PM
i look at it like this

you didnt shoot because it was to cute

so now your family doesnt get organic healthy red meat

you will now buy commercial raised beef full of who knows what and feeding it to your family

the white tail and its yearlings will continue to out breed and over populate our mule deer range

i thank the lord for the food he provides me and i dont think he cares if its a buck or doe

Thank the lord? for what?

newsflash buddy the lord didn't hike out in the bush and provide your family.....YOU DID.

The Dude
12-16-2012, 10:11 PM
I burned a Whitetail doe tag out in 8-1 one year....must have been a good winter,(After several bad winters and scarce game) since every single WT doe had twin fawns. Some seemed to have been born late, still spotted, still 'bumping' the Mother (milke fed). A no-go as a shooter, as the mother is thin from supporting the youngsters, the youngsters are tiny and not worth killing, and they're stronger as a unit.
Also, contrary to what others have said, they don't always "Regroup with the herd". if the coming fall/winter is scarce for food, older tougher does will actually stomp the fawns that try and get their feed, much like dogs will. They'll be outcast, and the Yotes get em. I always said shooting a pregnant does is like shooting 5 deer, why bother? Tag soup for WTs that year.

A 'dry" doe, on the other hand, will be alone, fat and healthy. Lots of meat, and worth the effort. I have shot a couple of those. She either got unlucky, or is a dud breeder and/or a bad mother (protecting fawns from roads, preds, etc, or bad at nursing and training). These ones go in the frreezer.

Mule deer fawns, in my experience, tend to be bigger and tougher looking come fall, and look more capable of surviving. In a good year, I'm sure we've all looked at a Doe and two fawns, looked away, and when we look back we ask "Which one was the mother again?" I'm a big Mulie fan, though, so I'd have to be pretty confident in numbers before I put one in the freezer. the ones we've taken were agricultural-nuisance deer, with the ranchers blessings. Nice, fat, tasty alfalfa fed nuisances. :D

Now, having said that about Whities, we've noticed them moving into areas we've never seen them in before. Ranches in Region 3 where they weren't seen is now crawling with them, and Mule deer sightings are getting scarce, also Wolves are more numerous and bold. One friend lost her Irish Wolfhound.........to Wolves.....right in her driveway, while she was out at dinner.

I am not a Biologist, and the above is all my opinion based on reading and field experience, but it seems that an overabundance of Whitetails support Wolf populations, and Mule deer predation is incidental to this, and hurts the Mule deer in two ways: Inter-Special competition, and Predation.

So, in the future, in certain areas, I will be taking advantage of any and all WT doe openings to fill the freezers of my family, my friends, and myself.

Blainer
12-16-2012, 10:21 PM
I have never missed a meal that I can recall.
If it was just about providing meat for the family,it would be much cheaper for me to stay home and purchase from the supermarket.
fuel truck-$150 tank
tags
shells
gear
accomadations,ect,ect
The bottom line is,do whatever your comfortable with.
I would have passed as well.

bosca
12-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Personally I dont have a problem at all but as many have suggested if its not a matter of survival i will pass on the doe with yearling or fawn...if meat is a neccessity at home then she is a gonner.

biggyun68
12-16-2012, 11:37 PM
I agree with not taking the shot. Unless you and your family are going to go hungry. Yearlings will make it - unless of course they are taken by a wolf or cougar.

Panic
12-16-2012, 11:55 PM
I want food, not trophies so the boom boom stick would go off on both of them....well, if i had help humping them out of there it would :)

Kirby
12-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Go for it. The fawn will be fine. I have watched does show up with fawns, without, then with again. Same does(identifying marks/scars) over days and weeks. By the doe season the fawns are weaned and often tag along with other does. You shoot the mom the fawn will just go tag along with another group.

hunterstan
12-17-2012, 01:57 AM
i wouldn't, when i was a youth hunter i took 2 dry doses and would again if i had the legal opportunity but i would pass up on a doe with fawns as i did a few times, if it came down to it i would rather take the fawn, thats just me, i have seen a fawn stay on a poached doe, someone shot her and left her behind fawn stayed till the coyotes cleaned mom up, figure they got her too. and that was before the wolves got bad out in my corner of the wood. might not be the same with a kill but i dont think they would have as good of a chance

hunter1947
12-17-2012, 04:02 AM
Fawns seem to get along fine without thier mother, they just join the herd. Besides, there isn't any shortage of white tails or there wouldn't be a doe season. And no guarantee that a wolf won't eat the fawn with or without mommy.

I agree with Clark on his opinion take the mother..

HIGHRPM
12-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Every thing I have ever read, says that if the fawn is close to a year old, it has a great chance of survival. I was in the same boat one time, being a meat hunter I took a real nice big doe just before the fawn popped out of the bush, dam ! But looking at the fawn, she looked to be older, so I hope she survived. Since then, I wait a little bit longer to see if the young ones are around.

skibum
12-17-2012, 10:43 AM
I think it is a fact that the fawn (if you still want to call it that in the fall) will survive

One state had a rule that you had to shoot a doe before you could take a buck. That ended because of hunters did not like it.

Kirby
12-17-2012, 10:56 AM
One state had a rule that you had to shoot a doe before you could take a buck. That ended because of hunters did not like it.

Earn a buck is used in multiple states for a variety of reasons. Many states have 5 or 6 doe tags/year and bonus tags for private land.

pieter
12-17-2012, 01:40 PM
i hope i am never that hungary that i have to resort to shooting does and fawns when theres no deer left we can go on to the bunch of females in an other species

Jelvis
12-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Most hunters prefer a deer with antlers, I don't know why that is, maybe taught by their parents or something.

pieter
12-17-2012, 02:03 PM
you won't get any fawns out of a buck deer so kill of all the does and we won't have to worry about finding a buck there won't be any we can sell our guns and find some thing else to keep us out of trouble i am 64 years old have never shot a doe or fawn and never will neither will my boy' or grand children something i was taught by an old hunter about 54 years ago

Panic
12-17-2012, 02:17 PM
you won't get any fawns out of a buck deer so kill of all the does and we won't have to worry about finding a buck there won't be any we can sell our guns and find some thing else to keep us out of trouble i am 64 years old have never shot a doe or fawn and never will neither will my boy' or grand children something i was taught by an old hunter about 54 years ago

Lol...that's pretty funny Pieter...do you hav an idea on the size of the WT population?
Friend, it's more than secure and to be honest, it would take us hunters a long time to do any kind of damage to herd sizes in BC/North America.

Flip it around and lets say...if you only hunt buck all we'll have is does and they cant breed with does...right?

Ron.C
12-17-2012, 02:18 PM
you won't get any fawns out of a buck deer so kill of all the does and we won't have to worry about finding a buck there won't be any we can sell our guns and find some thing else to keep us out of trouble

you first. And while we are at it I guess we might as well close all non-male seasons for all game in that case. Stop shooting cow moose/elk.....

Seems to me like the species that allow us to harvest a female are ones that can sustain the loss. Not to mention the relitively ease they are to fill for juniors and new hunters to fill.

finngun
12-17-2012, 03:06 PM
some years back i got mule doe draw.. so while hunting no single doe was close enough,,, but then i see doe with 2 fawns.. i didn't wanna shoot mama instead i shoot 1 fawn..
ethically wrong? not in my books..quite often one of twin fawns die anyways during the winter.. and that 30lb venesin i got out of that fawn was best wild meat i ever been eaten. in my books quality of the meat.. is more important than how many lb. i got out of it.. just my opinion:mrgreen:

pieter
12-17-2012, 03:09 PM
if the old boys had of shot of the does that some people think we need to do now, there would be no deer now, they would be ashamed at the bunch of us nature has and will take care of the surplus, maybe them doe hunters can't get out and find a buck, or don't have the skill or ethics to go find a buck and i for one am glad that i taught my boy"s and my grand kids to leave them alone

Panic
12-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Each to their own friend, each to their own.

I don't judge any hunter on their choices, if they are fine with it, then that's their business. I'll hunt my way, you hunt your way and we'll each be happy with our decisions. :)

12-17-2012, 03:27 PM
If I have a Tag and Does are open .... Kaboom ....... good eats and GOOD MANAGEMENT ........ I'm not the Biologist making the decisions.

That said, when I see them as Doe and Fawn together ....... I let em walk. Ethics I believe it's called.

Just my opinion

CT

Kirby
12-17-2012, 03:29 PM
if the old boys had of shot of the does that some people think we need to do now, there would be no deer now, they would be ashamed at the bunch of us nature has and will take care of the surplus, maybe them doe hunters can't get out and find a buck, or don't have the skill or ethics to go find a buck and i for one am glad that i taught my boy"s and my grand kids to leave them alone

So much ignorance...

Rodd
12-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Nothing against killing WT does(think we need to kill some for healthy Buck to Doe ratio's).... But I as well can't seem to squeeze the trigger, when a fawn is spotted... I passed on dozens this year just for that reason. Just my preference.. And I'm not wasting my tag on 20lbs fawn... I personally don't like the super young animals meat, as much as, a 2-3year old.. They seem to develop flavour as an adult, and way more meat..

Big Lew
12-17-2012, 03:56 PM
One thing no one has mentioned....over the years I've noticed some 'buck only' areas where there were a lot of does, and many of them were without fawns, so it isn't as simple as 'shoot a doe and you're killing off the breeder'. Killing too many bucks per doe ratio is counter-productive as well. Everything needs a balance to remain healthy.

rred
12-17-2012, 04:44 PM
i think you made the right call

pieter
12-17-2012, 04:57 PM
ignorant i"m not you go shoot your does but you will be the biggest whiner of all and if you have to shoot a deer to get 30 pounds of meat i feel for you enjoy your meal if you ever father children they will eat veggies as all the deer are gone enough said fill your boots

rocksteady
12-17-2012, 05:23 PM
ignorant i"m not you go shoot your does but you will be the biggest whiner of all and if you have to shoot a deer to get 30 pounds of meat i feel for you enjoy your meal if you ever father children they will eat veggies as all the deer are gone enough said fill your boots

Many moons ago they just had deer season, no restrictions to bucks or does. In the depression peopke would shoot whatevrr they could to feed their families.

The "Sky is falling " mentality is not supported by science and/or history.

GoatGuy
12-17-2012, 05:35 PM
So I'm a meat hunter primarily, although I prefer bucks and to obviously shoot anything with nice antlers. This being my 4th hunting season, this is the first one where I did not get a deer, and not for lack of trying and I got out alot this season. During the whitetail doe season, I had many opportunities to take whitetail does, but each and every time where I had a clear shot, a yearling/fawn would pop out, so I didn't shoot any of em, even though I could really use the meat. I just couldn't bring myself to shoot the mother doe, and the yearlings were too small and should be allowed to live longer anyway. Would you do the same? If you shoot the mother doe, what are the odds that the yearling(s) will make it? What are your thoughts all...

Wt does typically live in a maternal unit. Harvesting a doe with a fawn is not consequential in terms of the population. By the time the season is open the fawns should be weaned and they will join up with the other does in the group - if they aren't weaned the likelihood of the fawns survivng the winter is much, much lower as they are second or third estrus, smaller, weaker and in poor body condition as compared to other fawns.

the big issue to separate is managing the population versus harvesting the individual. Harvesting a doe with a fawn in this case is an ethical issue, it really has no place in wildlife management particularly for wt's.

finngun
12-17-2012, 06:54 PM
pieter---, maybe them doe hunters can't get out and find a buck, or don't have the skill or ethics to go find a buck and i for one am glad that i taught my boy"s and my grand kids to leave them alone
///don't have the skill or ethics to go find a buck////:mrgreen::mrgreen::wink: baaad hunters shoot only does or faws...maybe same hunters can't even hit small faw,,,needs to be a marksman:mrgreen:

The Dude
12-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Punctuation is not a sin, by the way.

pickle88
12-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Punctuation is not a sin, by the way.

and i thought i was bad with puncuation and grammer ....theres a few new guys that i cant even follow what there saying...

Panic
12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
pieter---, maybe them doe hunters can't get out and find a buck, or don't have the skill or ethics to go find a buck and i for one am glad that i taught my boy"s and my grand kids to leave them alone
///don't have the skill or ethics to go find a buck////:mrgreen::mrgreen::wink: baaad hunters shoot only does or faws...maybe same hunters can't even hit small faw,,,needs to be a marksman:mrgreen:

Meat is meat, it doesn't matter if I'm out an hour or a weekend, as soon as the meat source is found I'm taking it out.
It has nothing to do with someone being able to track/hunt whatsoever if they don't mind harvesting doe or fawn when the opportunity arises.
Why would you want to pass perfectly good meat and chance passing up cutting a tag just to 'prove' to everyone else your the better hunter/tracker by looking for a buck? Ego? Pride?
Laughable really, that you feel the need to justify your decisions and insult the skills or choices of others to make yourself feel better.

Jelvis
12-17-2012, 07:30 PM
finacky likes to string it out for some reason? lol Hey don't panic, finicky you'll get a deer.
Your pal
Jel

finngun
12-17-2012, 08:03 PM
thanx jello -bello... i'm relivied right now..yess maybe one day i'm knocking down REALLY big deer:mrgreen::-D:mrgreen: i'm just looking those bucks who are dragging they rack down on the grass...too heavy to lift them up...jellbell are a marksman:mrgreen:..i think you are best of the best..jel the sharpshooter

Big G Hunter
12-17-2012, 08:07 PM
If you really wanted some meat, why not shoot the yearling? I've shot two in my days of hunting and they are by FAR the best choice of meat you'll ever have. Besides you're probably helping out in the long run anyway.

r106
12-17-2012, 08:29 PM
So much ignorance...

I absolutely agree.

I rely on the bio's to make the right call on determining if the numbers support a doe season. They are looking at the bigger picture I'm just seeing a few square kilometers. So I will harvest a doe if there open, however if I'm seeing that numbers in my little area low then I will make my own decision whether to shoot a doe or not. I will hunt in accordance to the Reg's and practice some conservation if the area is hurting.

Gateholio
12-17-2012, 08:44 PM
if you talk to the serious WT deer hunters in areas where WT deer have always been traditionally hunted, they always say "you NEED to shoot the does, to have a healthy WT population"

When they go out hunting the rules are that you shoot deer- any deer. Passing up does is not an option. If they only shot bucks, eventually the population would be too high to sustain the herd, they don' end up with enough habitat per deer, it increases predator levels, disease is more prevalent and the population collapses. I was skeptical about shooting does at first too, until I saw what a huge number of deer there were, and they were all shooting as many does as they could.

You can base your knowledge on what Uncle Pete told you decades ago, or you can base your knowledge on what an unbelievable amount of WT deer exist in areas that hunters shoot does as often as they can.....

I'm only guessing at this, but BC has more predators than most of those areas (although they all have lots of large coyotes that regularly take down deer, especially fawns) , so shooting 5 does per year per hunter probably isn't the best idea for BC, but hunters shooting one doe a year will have little impact on the WT population in areas that allow doe harvest. It may even be beneficial overall.

Jelvis
12-17-2012, 08:46 PM
yearling/fawn? what? which one a yearling or a fawn? A yearling is the same size as a small doe and breeds.
Did you change your thread?

GoatGuy
12-17-2012, 08:52 PM
yearling/fawn? what? which one a yearling or a fawn? A yearling is the same size as a small doe and breeds.
Did you change your thread?
A yearling is a young doe.

A fawn can breed as well.

What is the point here?

Jelvis
12-17-2012, 10:24 PM
The size of the deer is different, that's all I was trying to say sorry, everyone wants to kick my arse tonight
a fawn is smaller than a yearlinck that's all I was trying to say Mr. Goatguy.
Fawn is born in May and is about 4 months old in October a yearling is 16 months old in October.
That's the differ ants. OK sorry bout dat ..
JellariatakingitonallsidestonightIdon'tknowwhy?

finngun
12-17-2012, 10:35 PM
jell-bell dont feel bad im not // kicking yu a.. tonight :mrgreen: see that-- jellbell yu are a marksman:mrgreen:..i think you are best of the best..jel the sharpshooter //

The Dude
12-17-2012, 10:56 PM
GG: A fawn is ~ 5 months old in October, 6 in mid november (Rut) , given a gestation of ~190 days.
A 6 month old fawn can be bred successfully?

GoatGuy
12-18-2012, 12:26 AM
GG: A fawn is ~ 5 months old in October, 6 in mid november (Rut) , given a gestation of ~190 days.
A 6 month old fawn can be bred successfully?

Yes, at 6-8 months if they reach 36kgs live weight. Need good habitat and be born on time and in good shape, but it happens. Probably linked more to ag country than mountain country.

hunter1947
12-18-2012, 03:30 AM

I like ,,,,,,,,,,,, you took the words right out of my mouth ,,good point..

hunter1947
12-18-2012, 03:39 AM

Its hard to change or agree with others at times when you get up in age and have been taught whats right and whats wrong from others over many years..

To set it strieght for your mind pieter if me I would email the wildlife branch regarding WT game management and ask them about what has been said on this thread ,,this would then put your mind to rest if your wrong or right ????....

hunter1947
12-18-2012, 03:52 AM
My opinion is sometimes the fawn or fawns might not survive the winter months reason being is there are a handful of mothers that do give birth to fawns late in the season as you all can see that the seasons are changing ,,, I know because I have trail cam pictures of fawns that had just been born in the month mid to late July .

Most times mother gives birth starting mid may on into late June if a hunter does take out the mother that had a late birth the fawns have less chance of survival for the up coming winter this is what I think I could be wrong ??? If this does happen hunter taking out the mother with late born fawns and the fawn or fawns die guess its called reducing the numbers of WT deer for more habitat for wintering game animals..

The mother gave birth to this fawn first week of July bottom two links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhK2X3MKv-s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-7MWj15nI

Trail pic below shows this mother gave birth latter on in the summer fawns might not make it through the winter if the mother was shot or a predator took out the mother..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2652.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

This might be the same fawn as the trail picture above ?? but I don't see the twin other one ???...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2622.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

This fawn was born earlier and will probably make it through the winter if the mother was shot in the next 3 weeks or predators was to take the mother out.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/537.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

Same fawn as above picture..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/5521.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

The same two fawns latter on in Oct

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/3431.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

J_T
12-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Yes, at 6-8 months if they reach 36kgs live weight. Need good habitat and be born on time and in good shape, but it happens. Probably linked more to ag country than mountain country. Don't "we" use a rate of reproduction of a doe at 2.4 as evidence of this? Whitetails have the capability of rebounding very fast. A fawn born in the spring can be bred in its first year. Conservatively a single doe in the spring might give birth to a single very healthy fawn, the doe and fawn might both be bred in the fall, conservatively the doe might give birth to two fawns and the yearling doe give birth to a single fawn, but within one year a single deer can quickly become 5 or 6 deer. Predation aside.
Might depend how much salt of Wayne's their eating though.

GoatGuy
12-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Don't "we" use a rate of reproduction of a doe at 2.4 as evidence of this? Whitetails have the capability of rebounding very fast. A fawn born in the spring can be bred in its first year. Conservatively a single doe in the spring might give birth to a single very healthy fawn, the doe and fawn might both be bred in the fall, conservatively the doe might give birth to two fawns and the yearling doe give birth to a single fawn, but within one year a single deer can quickly become 5 or 6 deer. Predation aside.
Might depend how much salt of Wayne's their eating though.

yes.

Typically as yearlings they'll have one fawn, after that it's twins. It is an extremely productive species which is also much more adaptable and able to avoid/evade predation than other native ungulates such as mule deer.

Kirby
12-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Its hard to change or agree with others at times when you get up in age and have been taught whats right and whats wrong from others over many years..

To set it strieght for your mind pieter if me I would email the wildlife branch regarding WT game management and ask them about what has been said on this thread ,,this would then put your mind to rest if your wrong or right ????....

Careful '47 keep posting like this and I might think its possible to teach old dogs new tricks! ;-) .

hunter1947
12-19-2012, 02:49 AM
Careful '47 keep posting like this and I might think its possible to teach old dogs new tricks! ;-) .

Kirby I learn new tricks almost every day you never stop learning ,,the question is do you ??http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.png??.

Steelpulse
12-19-2012, 09:49 AM
usually the does all stick together so i'm sure the yearlings, fawns what ever small deer are hanging around would survive especially towards the end of the season when they are herded up, myself I shoot does amazing meat

Walking Buffalo
12-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Compensatory Mortality.

Fill those tags, enjoy the food.

bugler
12-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Shot two does this year, both completely by themselves. The buck/doe ratio here is so out of whack that I decided I would shoot dry does over yearling bucks. Key word for me is "dry". I would shoot one that just has a yearling tagging along but not one that has a fawn of the year in tow.