PDA

View Full Version : neewbie

mplozzer
12-16-2012, 09:20 AM
hey everyone - just looking for advice on getting starting in duck/goose hunting. along with being new to hunting - im also new to the island. im hoping to buy a pump action w/in the next week or so - narrowed it down between the 870 $399 & the nova $525 - 12g. not sure what barrel length to go with & whether or not camo patterns are necessary. i'd just like to get guality/reliable gear once - rather than be in a situation in a year from now where im wishing i had bought something different (i now this is hard to avoid but thats the plan). i'd like to keep the budget @ around the $500 mark because i realize i will require additional gear other than just the shotgun. any info/advice on gear selection including models/brands to look for or to avoid would be greatly appreciated. i appologize in advance if these questions have been asked in the past - i just don't know anyone involved in waterfowl hunting & trust the advice/info offered here over what i'd get from a salesperson in a gun store.

pnbrock
12-16-2012, 09:23 AM
your avatar gives new meaning to got it in the ten ring!!

Foxton Gundogs
12-16-2012, 11:16 AM
IMO If you like a pump go with the Super Nova camo(Camo isnt "necessary but it is nice especially when you are hunkering down in the reeds or on a fence line with out a blind) 28" 12 ga. it gives you the 3.5" capability IF you ever want it. They are a far superior gun, my partner shoots one it comes up nice id tough easy to strip and has a few really nice small features. But have a look at the Weaterby SA08 for the same price if you think you would like a semi. I have one in 20 gauge and its an awsome little gun get it same specs as the SN (except it wont have the 3.5" factor) but hey function and point well and kill stuff just fine. BUT MOST OF ALL GO SHOULDER SOME GUNS AND CHOSE ONE THAT FITS YOU!!!:mrgreen:

wicket
12-16-2012, 04:11 PM
^^^^^^^^Agreed with the above from fox great advice there I would add you should find a Browning Auto 5 and never look back:-D sorry I try to champion them where ever and whenever I can....but yah what fox said

mplozzer
12-17-2012, 07:40 PM
thanks for all the feedback - looking @ a winchester sxp waterfowl hunter in mossy oak duck blind camo - 12ga, 28" barell, 3.5" chamber

604redneck
12-17-2012, 07:46 PM
870 wingmaster....that is all

FirePower
12-17-2012, 07:59 PM
thanks for all the feedback - looking @ a winchester sxp waterfowl hunter in mossy oak duck blind camo - 12ga, 28" barell, 3.5" chamber

You will not go wrong there laddie.. Its a fine fowling piece for the money.

FP

Displaced Nova Scotian
12-18-2012, 07:30 PM
IMO If you like a pump go with the Super Nova camo(Camo isnt "necessary but it is nice especially when you are hunkering down in the reeds or on a fence line with out a blind) 28" 12 ga. it gives you the 3.5" capability IF you ever want it. They are a far superior gun, my partner shoots one it comes up nice id tough easy to strip and has a few really nice small features. But have a look at the Weaterby SA08 for the same price if you think you would like a semi. I have one in 20 gauge and its an awsome little gun get it same specs as the SN (except it wont have the 3.5" factor) but hey function and point well and kill stuff just fine. BUT MOST OF ALL GO SHOULDER SOME GUNS AND CHOSE ONE THAT FITS YOU!!!:mrgreen:

I have this exact gun and can tell you its been through a lot in it's first season and hasn't let me down. This gun shoots great, has next to no recoil and exceeds everything I was hoping for, in a duck dropper of a gun. I found shouldering it the first time it felt a little "weird" but taking a second go at it found it felt better. Having now put close to a thousand rounds through it I can tell you it's the gun I was looking for!