PDA

View Full Version : Letting an area rest.

lorneparker1
12-15-2012, 09:50 PM
How much do you let your spots rest? what do you think is sufficent? how much is overkill?

JUst curious what everyones thoughts are.

Lorne

Foxton Gundogs
12-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Depends on the area. we have a marsh we can shoot twic a week, a flooded firld thats good for 1 shoot a week a feed field where you get a GREAT shoot once a month or so you just kind gotta read the birds and patern them. All part of the game

fowl language
12-15-2012, 11:47 PM
i have found for geese it,s twice in a week and let them rest for a month at least if they come back at all.depending on feed available....for ducks no more then twice a week.some areas are just what foxtron said.....fowl

wicket
12-16-2012, 09:18 AM
def no more than 2 times a week and remember to give the birds time to come in a night by quiting early no matter how temping it is to stay and shoot. you can even go so far as we have and thats to switch to 20gauges to limit the noise. we are close to the resting area and the noise reduction is substantial and makes a world of difference. we always wait until its light to head out into the marsh. Ducks dont like being scared in the pitch black and will be more confident to come back if you boost them in the light.

Dutch
12-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Agree with Wicket twice a week same place max and try to seperate the days.The noise thing is interesting I shoot a twenty when geese are closed and seems to be louder than my 12 but could be the choke I guess.

wicket
12-16-2012, 04:00 PM
the 20s make a world of difference in our situation. We shoot hevi shot type shells and to be honest i dont see the difference between a 20 and a 12 and as I age appreciate the lighter gun and less recoil:-D. these are of course my observations not everyone will or should agree untill they find out for themselves. Managing pressure on a particular hunting area is the absolute most important aspect of waterfowling IMO. you can have the best decoys and spread blow the latest and greatest call but it all means nothing if you burned out your spot and there arent any ducks around. Another point I forgot to add is not hunting on those quiet still days ...again noise and pressure. I do realize thought this isnt always possible for most guys who wait all week for their sat to go.

wicket
12-16-2012, 04:20 PM
some people just cant help themselves lorne....sounds like you have a handle on the pressure thing. thats the thing when mulitple parties have permission for the same place and everyone isnt on the same page

303Brit
12-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Just a sh*tty situation when you seem to be the only ones taking the high road trying to let the fields rest. You would think it should be easy to get people on the same page and maybe even get people to shoot together to reduce the amount of days the fields are shot and still giving as many people as possible the best opportunity to get good shoots in. Never seems to work out that way.

Mr. Dean
12-18-2012, 01:09 PM
What makes a, "Good Day"?

Several years ago when I 1st got into this, there were about 6 of us that would constantly hit the same hay field about 3x a week, all season long w/ 3 or so shooters. Sometimes we'd get skunked, sometimes we'd get a few and sometimes birds would fall from heaven. But I never thought of any one of those days to be "bad" - Each and every one of us had a blast!

grumps
12-18-2012, 01:21 PM
u seem to think u should be the only ones hunting. I had permisson to hunt the same field to day as u, but as u beat me there by 5min I let u have the whole farm. now u expect me to stay away?? the other day I let your buddy hunt the front field and rehunted the back as my grandson wanted to hunt, only has weekends off, now he's bitchin cause I didn't let the fields rest. We can't all be perfect like u 2 but if u stay outta the fields that I,ve hunted long be fore u came around then their should be room for all.have a good day ps If u would like to get on my schedule give me a call Grumps

303Brit
12-18-2012, 02:12 PM
u seem to think u should be the only ones hunting. I had permisson to hunt the same field to day as u, but as u beat me there by 5min I let u have the whole farm. now u expect me to stay away?? the other day I let your buddy hunt the front field and rehunted the back as my grandson wanted to hunt, only has weekends off, now he's bitchin cause I didn't let the fields rest. We can't all be perfect like u 2 but if u stay outta the fields that I,ve hunted long be fore u came around then their should be room for all.have a good day ps If u would like to get on my schedule give me a call Grumps

If you wanted to shoot with us this am you could have mentioned it I asked if you had a layout leaving you an open door. This thread isn't directed to you specifically, if you hadn't noticed the other morning there was 3 groups of shooters at the other farm. Then the next morning two more groups shooting the same fields. We didn't say you were a problem, just seems the lack of comrade in the valley between such a small group of people to be a touch frustrating. We would rather shoot as a group instead of trying to compete with other shooting groups as no one really wins when that happens.

Oh and FYI neither Lorne nor I have shot the other farm in over a week and it's been shot 6 days in a row ;) Also I have on more then one occasion invited you to shoot either with me or with Lorne and I and you decline everytime????

lorneparker1
12-18-2012, 02:49 PM
What makes a, "Good Day"?

Several years ago when I 1st got into this, there were about 6 of us that would constantly hit the same hay field about 3x a week, all season long w/ 3 or so shooters. Sometimes we'd get skunked, sometimes we'd get a few and sometimes birds would fall from heaven. But I never thought of any one of those days to be "bad" - Each and every one of us had a blast!

Well right now with the snow melting and all the rain we have been having, id prefer not to hike 400 yards through knee deep muck, Just to "hang out". I do like all the things great about duck hunting. (the funny shit that happens, the harassment of said things, the scoial aspect, etc etc) but lets be honest, im out there to kill 8 birds and if i dont think there is a high chance of me doing that in a few hours, i probably wont go." If the feilds are rested sufficently, people dont sky bust, and dont shoot into big flocks. This is doable everytime you go out.

Lorne

field marshal
12-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Heeeeeeeeeerrrrreeeee we go again!!!! I don't think those older fellows like you guys???:-D Must be the "ground swat" thing????:confused:
C'mon Kelly we can't leave this one alone????:mrgreen:-----Cheers----Field Marshal.

f350ps
12-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Sounds like a little drama in the sandbox, you guys gotta learn how to play nice together! It's all about learning to share, I remember in Kindergarten we had to share our snacks, maybe try that approach Lorne. K :)

Dutch
12-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Hmm never shared in kindergarten probably why I got expelled with Dales blond friend....

lorneparker1
12-18-2012, 07:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

Sounds like a little drama in the sandbox, you guys gotta learn how to play nice together! It's all about learning to share, I remember in Kindergarten we had to share our snacks, maybe try that approach Lorne. K :)

fowl language
12-18-2012, 10:21 PM
i can see your blonde cousin getting expelled ,but YOU, i find that hard to believe.....dale

surething
12-18-2012, 10:26 PM
All i can say is , we are limited to the amout of fields/ area that we are allowed to hunt, So there is alot of pressure on a couple of fields.I know that with my work and family, if i get 5 days,in a row I take it.just for the fact of being out there. I don't know when some one else has been there or not I dont keep track, just go out and see what the day brings , practice calling and even work on a blind if nothing is flying around . so I dont feel that the fields are always getting blasted to shit!! we are just luckey that the farmer lets a fair number of people have permission on his land!!! Jorgy

lorneparker1
12-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for your reply Jorgy...

All i can say is , we are limited to the amout of fields/ area that we are allowed to hunt, So there is alot of pressure on a couple of fields.I know that with my work and family, if i get 5 days,in a row I take it.

That mentality is the problem.... I have from the begininng of October till the end of the season where i can pretty much hunt anyday i want. But i dont, because i know other people might want a shot at the birds in whatever field they are in, and i also know that over shooting blows up fields. I consider the birds and other people in my decision to hunt.. Every single day and every night i am either hunting or scouting. Some days we will hunt 3 days in a row, but we will hunt 3 different fields. When you see all our pictures of limits on top of limits, that doesnt happen by accident. We have lots of fields And most of them have multiple people that have permission on them. Although its not perfect, this group of feilds is really the only one that seems to have these issues and unforunately they are the only fields that hold consistent amount of birds in the mid december (other then happy valley unless they freeze up).

I don't know when some one else has been there or not I dont keep track, just go out and see what the day brings , practice calling and even work on a blind if nothing is flying around . so I dont feel that the fields are always getting blasted to shit!!.

Exactly, you have no clue when people are there or not, but i am and trust me, after Dec 10th (the end of deer season) those fields get a beating. If you guys are hunting it 3-4 days a week, there is at least one other person shooting 1 of the other days minimum. I know whats in every field in our area at any given time (people and birds), I mean it doesnt take a rocket scientist to make the conclusion when you hunt the exact same spot 3 days in row, the birds are going to get smarter, if they even stick around.I think most people would rather have a 1 or MAYBE 2 great hunts a week, then hunt 5 times in a row till 2pm trying to scratch out a limit.

we are just lucky that the farmer lets a fair number of people have permission on his land!!! Jorgy

Agreed. but in reality there isnt that many, theres you guys, us, and a few other guys that hunt every once in a blue moon. I guess my point is, these fields can be tremendous when managed properly. there are times were we have had over 1000 birds come in throughout a hunt. We have limited out in under 2 hours almost every single time we've hunted those fields in the last 2 years ( with a few exceptions). It doesnt have to be a a Race to the feild, and a "shoot em all or somelse will mentality" and it would be better for everyone if that was the case.

See you out there (we will probably hunt thrusday fyi :P), and I wish you and grumps best of luck with the rest of the season.

Lorne

surething
12-18-2012, 11:45 PM
I would hunt 3 or 5 different fields also but;I been ont a wopping 4 times this year!!! and only once since dec10! and every time i have had a chance to go there has been people there, so i go else where, I have permisson.I just like being out there even when i go knowing it will be slowor a second day in a row as I use this time to clean up wads and other garbage!!! Not trying to screw up anyones hunting.. I'm not going to go on and on,just saying If you have or know who,what and where its happing.. cheers!! don't forget the safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mr. Dean
12-19-2012, 01:31 AM
... but lets be honest, im out there to kill 8 birds....
Lorne

Understood.
You and I obviously have different outlooks as to what "a hunt" is.

And you want me to conform to yours...

Crazy_Farmer
12-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Lorne I go duck hunting for the sunsets. They're so beautiful. With all the pretty little clouds and such.

BiG Boar
12-19-2012, 07:51 AM
I share a couple of fields with guys here. But sometimes I wonder why we don't have a quality hunt.

If I show up (often times I am Mr.Sleepiner), and someone eles is there, I usually walk a ways away, maybe 100 metres, and set up right there. So long as the pellets we shoot don't go towards them. I take my time setting up though. Hey, we're here to relax.

If I see ducks going to the other guys set up, I will try to call like heck them over to mine, and he will try to lure birds he sees near me, over to him. But with all the furious calling going on, usually we have to sky blast the birds if we want a shot at them.

If I have a really good day on a field, I will often go back the very next day, as there is probably lots of birds in the area, and may as well make hay when the sun shines. If I enjoy that day, I'll probably go again the next too. For some reason though it seems like the birds are getting more and more wary of our set up. I wonder what is going on? The first day usually has lots of birds, but sometimes by the 5th day we only go home with 3 or 4.

I would just like to have a quality hunt. Maybe its just the migration timing?

pnbrock
12-19-2012, 08:02 AM
feel pretty lucky that i can hunt a variety of fields most of which never get hit that hard .so very easy to let the field rest.

BiG Boar
12-19-2012, 08:05 AM
feel pretty lucky that i can hunt a variety of fields most of which never get hit that hard .so very easy to let the field rest.

Must be nice to be "in the club"

pnbrock
12-19-2012, 08:08 AM
lots of waterfowl clubs in lml for you to pursue membership.

Mr. Dean
12-19-2012, 10:47 AM
What is the 'net result' of the farmers wishes when letting people hunt their lands?

Answer: Crop Protection.
They arent looking for a santuary to be created, they want birds gone.

lorneparker1
12-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Understood.
You and I obviously have different outlooks as to what "a hunt" is.

And you want me to conform to yours...

I love when people leave out things in a quote to prove their point. In case you missed it...

I do like all the things great about duck hunting. (the funny shit that happens, the harassment of said things, the scoial aspect, etc etc)
Lorne

Why do you hunt ducks?

Lorne

lorneparker1
12-19-2012, 12:04 PM
What is the 'net result' of the farmers wishes when letting people hunt their lands?

Answer: Crop Protection.
They arent looking for a santuary to be created, they want birds gone.

While i agree they want the birds gone, the best way to go about that IMO is to kill as many as possible. Gone for good is better then gone for a few day or worse not gone at all but not killable. If the field is full of feed you can bet the birds will find a way into it. Just not any where near hunters, or when hunters are there.

field marshal
12-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Maybe the old fellas don't want to shoot with you guys??? Maybe they don't want to lay down in a field beside the "SLUICE SISTERS"??
Maybe they don't want to look like a couple of piles of buffalo shit in a muddy potato field??? Maybe you should quit whining about every other shooter
up there, and just maybe there would be no more DRAMA????:mrgreen:----Cheers----Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
12-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Maybe the old fellas don't want to shoot with you guys??? Maybe they don't want to lay down in a field beside the "SLUICE SISTERS"??
Maybe they don't want to look like a couple of piles of buffalo shit in a muddy potato field??? Maybe you should quit whining about every other shooter
up there, and just maybe there would be no more DRAMA????:mrgreen:----Cheers----Field Marshal.

Id rather whine publicly then privately. :)

Lorne

Mr. Dean
12-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I love when people leave out things in a quote to prove their point. In case you missed it...

I'm not trying to prove anything.
Here's your statement, in full.

I've taken liberty in bolding that your only interested in numbers and it's numbers that primarily motivate you to hunt.

Well right now with the snow melting and all the rain we have been having, id prefer not to hike 400 yards through knee deep muck, Just to "hang out". I do like all the things great about duck hunting. (the funny shit that happens, the harassment of said things, the scoial aspect, etc etc) but lets be honest, im out there to kill 8 birds and if i dont think there is a high chance of me doing that in a few hours, i probably wont go." If the feilds are rested sufficently, people dont sky bust, and dont shoot into big flocks. This is doable everytime you go out.

Lorne

And I'm really OK with that.
You are entitled to hunt how you want, when you want - And I won't snob on you for doing so.

All I'm asking, is for the same respect.

Why do you hunt ducks?

Lorne

Tough one.

I think primarily for the challenge and the time spent with others while taking in the happenings around us.
It's WAY better than sitting in a bar...

Meat or Trophies is just a bonus, as with any of my hunting.

field marshal
12-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I am ahead fatso!!! I don't complain about others in a public forum, except to call out you 2 sissees!!!!!----Cheers---Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
12-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm not trying to prove anything.
Here's your statement, in full.

I've taken liberty in bolding that your only interested in numbers and it's numbers that primarily motivate you to hunt.

And I'm really OK with that.
You are entitled to hunt how you want, when you want - And I won't snob on you for doing so.

All I'm asking, is for the same respect.

Tough one.

I think primarily for the challenge and the time spent with others while taking in the happenings around us.
It's WAY better than sitting in a bar...

Meat or Trophies is just a bonus, as with any of my hunting.

Fair. And you are 100% correct, im not a "roll the dice" type duck hunter. Duck hunting successfully is alot of work and im not gonna by choice go sit in pouring rain with a 40kms cross wind and hike half mile, to "hang out and maybe shoot a duck". To each there own forsure though!

Just to clarify, if your "way of hunting" negatively effects the experience for everyone around you, is that still ok?

Lorne

lorneparker1
12-19-2012, 12:42 PM
I am ahead fatso!!! I don't complain about others in a public forum, except to call out you 2 sissees!!!!!----Cheers---Field Marshal.

Fair, but i called got out. not the other way around. I just posed the question about letting areas rest.

I love you!

Lorne

Mr. Dean
12-19-2012, 12:48 PM
While i agree they want the birds gone, the best way to go about that IMO is to kill as many as possible. Gone for good is better then gone for a few day or worse not gone at all but not killable. If the field is full of feed you can bet the birds will find a way into it. Just not any where near hunters, or when hunters are there.

And I would argue that the birds are more likely to go to the next easiest field where hunters arent allowed on.
And IMO, that owner deserves them.

Let them feed them and let their fields turn to shit.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with WHY access to these other fields isn't permitted - My bet is some slob pissed them off or took them for granted and that's where we need focus.

Mr. Dean
12-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Just to clarify, if your "way of hunting" negatively effects the experience for everyone around you, is that still ok?

Not a fair question as it's a two way street.

If I'm pissing off someone, they are surely pissing off me too.
Who is right?

I try to seek solutions that still allow freedom of choice.

lorneparker1
12-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Not a fair question as it's a two way street.

If I'm pissing off someone, they are surely pissing off me too.
Who is right?

I try to seek solutions that still allow freedom of choice.

Makes sense. To the orginal question posted. do you agree its good to let feilds rest? and how long in between hunts should they rest? lol

Lorne

303Brit
12-19-2012, 01:04 PM
And I would argue that the birds are more likely to go to the next easiest field where hunters arent allowed on.
And IMO, that owner deserves them.

Let them feed them and let their fields turn to shit.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with WHY access to these other fields isn't permitted - My bet is some slob pissed them off or took them for granted and that's where we need focus.

I'll take that bet.......

Since that's not so much the case here, the largest set of fields that constantly hold birds all season and beyond are owned by Ducks Unlimited, and since they are their billboard fields to make money they don't let people hunt them. ;)

lorneparker1
12-19-2012, 01:28 PM
TOny clear out your pm's. Trying to answer you. Maybe lean out the "sent items" as your box always seems full.

Lorne

Foxton Gundogs
12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I'll take that bet.......

Since that's not so much the case here, the largest set of fields that constantly hold birds all season and beyond are owned by Ducks Unlimited, and since they are their billboard fields to make money they don't let people hunt them. ;)

And there in at least part of the problem lies DU was started by hunters for the betterment of Waterfowl and waterfowl hunters, and it's BS like that that is loosing DU the waterfowlers support. IMO

kyleklassen
12-19-2012, 08:02 PM
http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/R/Orville-Redenbacher-248523-1-402.jpg

Mr. Dean
12-19-2012, 11:22 PM
To the orginal question posted. do you agree its good to let feilds rest? and how long in between hunts should they rest? lol

Lorne

Who knows.
I've done it both ways and I think success on having birds come in, is more weather dependent than anything else.

The field I mentioned earlier that we shot the shit out of had other users as well. It likely got shot 3-5 times a week minimum, each and every week, and so did all the area around it - It produced but you did have to put the time in. Limits happened but they were not the norm, far from it.

and I've had fields with exclusive access that I would rest and alternate my hunts on and frankly, I think I shoulda treated them like the earlier mentioned hay field instead of hoping for a gang-buster of a day, here and there - I really would have enjoyed them much, much more and had more birds come end of season.

But like I said, who really knows???

Every duck hunter holds a belief, and most of those beliefs don't jive with the other duck hunter. But IMO, if you want to manage the movements of all the hunters in your area,then you need to be buying land to ensure succeeding in just excercising this belief of yours - You'll never get everyone on board working within a schedule that meets everyones needs.

Just ain't gonna happen.

f350ps
12-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Makes sense. To the orginal question posted. do you agree its good to let feilds rest? and how long in between hunts should they rest? lol

Lorne
I've been folowing this thread from the start and have only one thing to add. Getting advice from guys on the mainland ain't gonna help you one bit. We have an endless supply of birds and can shoot a field day after day with very minimal effect where as you guys up there probably have names for each bird up there by now. I've taken multiple limits outta the same field all year and when I'm not there somebody else is yet it still produces day after day. I'd broaden yer horizons and find an ace in the hole, even if ya gotta travel a bit. K

lorneparker1
12-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Who knows.
I've done it both ways and I think success on having birds come in, is more weather dependent than anything else.

The field I mentioned earlier that we shot the shit out of had other users as well. It likely got shot 3-5 times a week minimum, each and every week, and so did all the area around it - It produced but you did have to put the time in. Limits happened but they were not the norm, far from it.

and I've had fields with exclusive access that I would rest and alternate my hunts on and frankly, I think I shoulda treated them like the earlier mentioned hay field instead of hoping for a gang-buster of a day, here and there - I really would have enjoyed them much, much more and had more birds come end of season.

But like I said, who really knows???

Every duck hunter holds a belief, and most of those beliefs don't jive with the other duck hunter. But IMO, if you want to manage the movements of all the hunters in your area,then you need to be buying land to ensure succeeding in just excercising this belief of yours - You'll never get everyone on board working within a schedule that meets everyones needs.

Just ain't gonna happen.

Most successful duck hunters and guys that get it ideologies are identical. Weather is NOT the most important factor. Being where ther birds are is. I dont care if its sunny as hell or a monsoon, spend your time scouting and patterning the birds, and things like the weather dont mean much.

Foxton Gundogs
12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Have to disagree with you some what Lorne, over the years I HAVE found birds to be weather dependant. That being said they are weather dependant AND area spacific. Weather that will kill 1 area will make another on hot you just have to read and patern your birds and I never ignore the weather when doing so. But again I have seen days when birds had no right to be in the air in a given spot, produce 3 and 4 man limits. and days when it should have been a banner day for them and you dont fire a shot. Just when you think you got them figured they crap on your birthday cake :mrgreen:

lorneparker1
12-20-2012, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=Foxton Gundogs;1258175]Have to disagree with you some what Lorne, over the years I HAVE found birds to be weather dependant. That being said they are weather dependant AND area spacific. Weather that will kill 1 area will make another on hot you just have to read and patern your birds and I never ignore the weather when doing so. QUOTE]

Correct, weather will make one spot hot and one not. 100% agree. But if you are in the hot spots all the time its not that big of a factor. I'm definitely not saying weather doesnt play a role. It definitely does. But its far from being the most important.. The most important hands down is location and proper scouting. If you are under the birds the only role the weather is going to play is how fast you shoot your limit. Not weather or not they are going to come at all.

Lorne

Foxton Gundogs
12-20-2012, 01:07 PM
I get what your saying but you have to not only read your birds but how the weather affects their flight and feeding pattern in order to be in THAT hot spot. I guess we are saying the same thing in diffrent ways :) and I guess when you come right down to it thats the differance between a waterfowler and someone who just shoots ducks every now and then:mrgreen:

lorneparker1
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
I get what your saying but you have to not only read your birds but how the weather affects their flight and feeding pattern in order to be in THAT hot spot. I guess we are saying the same thing in diffrent ways :)

Yes. we are . lol

Lorne