PDA

View Full Version : GPS opinions (eTrex 20)

Haywire
12-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, figured its an essential to some peoples 'gear'
I've never had a Gps other than the one thats on my iPhone. Im looking at a Garmin eTrex 20 and wondering if anyone has any experience with this one?
It will be used on quads, and similar vehicles, also walking my dog on trails.

Really wanting to know how well it functions, what it needs out of the box, reception issues? waypoint settings?
thanks

J-Man
12-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I have one works really well, long battery life if you disable the LCD backlight during the day (two AAs gets you 4 days 8 hour days at least). The only bad thing about it is it does not have a standby mode. So once you turn it on, it stays 100% on and you can not lock the keypad. So on my ATV its always pressing buttons in my jacket pocket. It is the most annoying feature. But other then that I have uploaded all types of maps. I have the city navigator on mine, backroads BC and Nautical maps of the West Coast. It was cheap when I got mine in July. If I could buy another GPS I would try to find something that either locks or goes on standby but I got mine for $139 so it was pretty cheap. You could buy a holster for it and maybe it wouldn't press so many buttons. It only comes with the default preloaded map which is the general globe map.

Its been out hiking, hunting, atving, city driving and ocean fishing and I haven't had any issues. But like I said I use three 3rd party map systems uploaded onto a SD card. And any GPS can use the same 3rd party maps.

Sofa King
12-17-2012, 11:57 AM
my garmin never failed me.
until the little stick-button thingy wore out.
i'm back to a magellan again now, but i seem to have misplaced it.
between the two, i found that the magellan picked up reception better.
but the garmins were much simpler and easier to use.
i think i'll get another garmin if mine doesn't turn up soon.