PDA

View Full Version : Outfitter question

44inchStone
12-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Maybe someone who would know the answer to this could educate me on this topic.

Can a resident of BC buy a outfitting company in the Yukon then hunt animals up there himself?

Was just curious. I would just think that if you are not a resident of that province then you would have to be guided just like any one of us that would want to hunt the Yukon for big game.
I mean if it were that easy to just purchase a territory, then hunt the area yourself wouldn't more guys out there be doing it? When you look at it in the long run what a guided all species hunt in the yukon would cost for a non resident. Do that every year for as long as you own the territory then basically it certainly be worth just buying the territory yourself.
I guess maybe it all depends on quotas? I don't know. I'm sure there are many of you out there in this type of business that would know the answer to this question.
Thanks for your answers.

proguide66
12-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Maybe someone who would know the answer to this could educate me on this topic.

Can a resident of BC buy a outfitting company in the Yukon then hunt animals up there himself?

Was just curious. I would just think that if you are not a resident of that province then you would have to be guided just like any one of us that would want to hunt the Yukon for big game.
I mean if it were that easy to just purchase a territory, then hunt the area yourself wouldn't more guys out there be doing it? When you look at it in the long run what a guided all species hunt in the yukon would cost for a non resident. Do that every year for as long as you own the territory then basically it certainly be worth just buying the territory yourself.
I guess maybe it all depends on quotas? I don't know. I'm sure there are many of you out there in this type of business that would know the answer to this question.
Thanks for your answers.
You can buy it but have to be a resident to have the guide outfitter license , same as BC. Even if you bought it you would have to be guided and fill out a guide report to harvest game.

Gateholio
12-15-2012, 01:05 AM
It would also be pretty $$$$ to buy the outfit I would imagine.

Darksith
12-15-2012, 09:47 AM
so how does shockey do it then? Same with the guy that lives in saskatchewan but guides in either BC or Yukon...can't remember. Never really looked into anything like that, but good to know that a guide has to be a resident. It seems that it doesn't happen that way on some of the shows on Wild TV. But I guess there could be a someone off camera or the camera man himself along that is a resi.

bridger
12-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Outfitters in Bc are not required to be residents not sure about the Yukon

ryry4
12-15-2012, 10:27 AM
As long as someone is along with a guides lisence he's good to go.

Sofa King
12-15-2012, 10:40 AM
shockey always has a guide with him.

proguide66
12-15-2012, 10:49 AM
In BC, you have to have your residency to hold the guide/ outfitter license,otherwise you have to have a resident hold it for you.
Shockey has all the loops covered.his manager Fred holds the Yukon license then he hands out guide licenses to all the crew, his dad , camera guys ect. Everything he kills in the Yukon is " a guided hunt".

bruin
12-15-2012, 11:48 AM
You can own a Yukon concession as a non-resident of that territory. To hunt, you would have to bring someone, and endorse them (as the outfitter) to hold an assistant guide license. There's ALOT more details, like liability, examinations, costs, etc. Most of the Yukon concessions will run in the millions of $, so its probably wise to just book your multispecies hunt!! OR, you could just hunt in BC since we have most of what they have and more anyway!

From the Yukon Wildlife Act.
(1) The Minister may issue an outfitting concession to an individual who
(a) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;

44inchStone
12-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Well I have to give credit to him. Smart way together your name in many of the record books. Buy the guide area, hand out guide liscence a to the residents and really he is only then the middle man with some incredible trophies.
i guess it's the same for his sask area. Guess when you own the area, you don't have to pay. Sounds unfair but we don't make the rules.
So from what I get from other guys is in BC the outfit owner has to be a resident. How would it work with some territories in BC where a resident hunter can only kill a tri palm bull but the outfitters quota is for any bull? To me the outfitter would have to follow resident rules and only shoot a tri palm or maybe I'm wrong?
There's probably lots of assistant guides or guides out there that would probably know.

bruin
12-15-2012, 10:42 PM
BC is the same as the Yukon regarding residency and ownership. Must be a Canadian resident.
Outfitters follow the same antler and age restrictions as residents.

boxhitch
12-16-2012, 02:54 AM
To me the outfitter would have to follow resident rules and only shoot a tri palm or maybe I'm wrong?G/O's and non-resident hunters have to follow the BC hunting regulations like anyone else.

325 wsm
12-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Guess when you own the area, you don't have to pay.

even though he didn't "pay for it" I'm sure he spent 3 - 4 grand on transportation costs, 1000 bucks for food, and about 3 grand to have a guide there for 10 days. total cost of hunt he didn't pay for @ 6 - 8 grand.
It's a business so he gets to write it off, I'm not sure what type of a percentage of that amount it would actually cost him after taxes.
Also lets not forget the fact he could have sold that hunt for 25 grand.
When it's all said and done it actually costs him quite a bit.

yukon john
12-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Buy the guide area, hand out guide liscence a to the residents and really he is only then the middle man with some incredible trophies.
i guess it's the same for his sask area. Guess when you own the area, you don't have to pay. Sounds unfair but we don't make the rules.
So from what I get from other guys is in BC the outfit owner has to be a resident. How would it work with some territories in BC where a resident hunter can only kill a tri palm bull but the outfitters quota is for any bull? To me the outfitter would have to follow resident rules and only shoot a tri palm or maybe I'm wrong?
There's probably lots of assistant guides or guides out there that would probably know.

Okay, lets start at the top
-most guides in the yukon are from other provinces
-most Yukon concessions are 1-2 million, so its not cheaper than paying for a hunt or "unfair"
-Outfitter in BC doesnt have to be a resident
-Outfits hunt with the same criteria as residents, tri palm etc.
- Also Shockey and other outfitters dont shoot that many animals in there own area and if they are a non resident they still have to pay for the guides wages on top of all the expenses of a normal guided hunt, charter, horses, etc

yama49
12-16-2012, 07:34 AM

even though he didn't "pay for it" I'm sure he spent 3 - 4 grand on transportation costs, 1000 bucks for food, and about 3 grand to have a guide there for 10 days. total cost of hunt he didn't pay for @ 6 - 8 grand.
It's a business so he gets to write it off, I'm not sure what type of a percentage of that amount it would actually cost him after taxes.

Dont think they have quota, could be wrong so he wouldnt loose the 25000 hunt..(nwt or yukon)bc would go agianst there quota.. How bout the 1-2 million he paid for the concession, so it actually cost him lots, the way i look at it..

yukon john
12-16-2012, 07:37 AM

Very true, the camp costs (gear, tack, guide, grub, horses, etc) are 600-700 a day for many outfits

Hunt'n Guide
12-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Moose and Caribou are quota aminals for the Yukon outfitters.

Wild Images
12-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Outfitters must follow the same rules as everyone else, tri-palm full curl, 4 point

blackbart
12-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Anyone on here ever work for Shockey, and if so how did it go??