PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunting goats still??

decker9
12-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Just curious, anyone else out there still chasing LEH goats??

I had planed on goin up next week for my 6-09 draw, but my poor old tundra needs a bit more TLC first, its'a long snow shoe back to the truck!. Was hoping to get up there before the rut ends, guess ill go on my next set of days off.

Any input on when the goat rut ends?? mid December??

Cheers and happy holidays!!

604redneck
12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
I wish I was

kitnayakwa77
12-14-2012, 10:38 AM
got a couple buddys still looking for goats, right now its pick your weather - wait for sunny clear days to provide some viewing contrast...hard to spot off-white on white snow on a dreary grey day. I've seen them rutting hard in mid-November, I would think that rut would be over or winding down by now, but I am no expert.

warnniklz
12-14-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm thinking about heading out for the weekend

the funny thing is last night I was looking at the 2012 goat thread... was thinking it needs more goats on it

Caribou_lou
12-14-2012, 03:37 PM
What 6-9 zone is your tag for?

I was possibly thinking on going towards Stewart in the open zone. I have a goat tag burning in my pocket!

decker9
12-14-2012, 06:27 PM
I agree Warn, dont seem like as many goats as last year does it..? Iv always wanted a big winter goat, scouted my area alot this fall, i know there was a couple crankers, was just waiting for the long hair, and now's the time!

My draw is for 6-09 A Lou, iv never hunted goats around Stewart before, but my old man has, sounds like some pretty narley country up there....and big goats to!! Hope you can make it, like warn said, we need a few more goats on here before seasons end!!

If you make it out this weekend warn, good luck! and be safe, cheers!

iwing
12-14-2012, 06:47 PM
how low have they came now? Are they toward the tops of the avalanche chutes or the bottom?

gerrygoat
12-14-2012, 07:18 PM
I prefer to wait until February, right now with the rut winding down the meat on a billy might be nasty :) Generally the weather is better in February and the days are longer (although the weather right now is really great) That's when I plan on going out again anyway, we will see how it all turns out. It can be hard to predict where on the mountain they will be whether high or low, it varies from year to year.

warnniklz
12-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm down for any billy goat... have yet to get one... this is my first season, so I'm not being too picky.

shallowH2O
12-14-2012, 08:54 PM
ill be heading up in late jan and feb

180grainer
12-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Love to see some pictures of prime billies. Have two goats so far but both taken in September.

Caribou_lou
12-14-2012, 11:36 PM
609A. That's kitsukla isn't it? Id be up for going up for a day hunt. You from Smithers? Better hunting up there early february.

decker9
12-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the input Garry, was wondering how a old billy would taste in the rut, Thinkin ill have alot of canned goat if i do conect lol. Depending on how much snow there is up there, february might be a better idea.... The only problem with that is we are expecting our first baby in mid Feb :-D, so might be a busy month.

Yup you bet Lou, Kitsukla mountain. Im from Decker lake, so most of my trips have been day trips. Iv been goin in from the smithers side, i drove in from the other side, by Hazelton once, but dident do any hiking on that side. The family and i have been hunting there for a few years now, so getting to know my way around there pretty good. My 10yr old nephew harvested his first goat there 2 years ago. iv been up there well over a dozen times scouting around this year, found a old trail going up to where i have seen most of the goats, and can get a sled up most the way, at least hoping the billys are still hangin around there anyway.

Have you hunted around that country at all Lou?? Iv herd of some pretty amazing billy's been taken off that mountain....Not to mention Grizzly's, every trip i seen fresh tracks, the one trip i run into one, luckly he ran the other way.
Ill definetly keep you in mind Lou, always like finding new people to hunt with, especially someone who has the same passion for goats as i do!!

Where you from Lou??

bruin
12-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I've still got an uncut tag for 6-09K. Heard repeatedly that Feb is the time to go for a winter goat and hoping to find the time. Its a long trip up from the LML!

Caribou_lou
12-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm from Smithers. So not a long drive for me. The Goats are there all winter. If there is any warm weather in February it can make for easy access by sled and better for spotting. I have hunted it before but not on my tag. He wasn't to eager to go where I wanted to but thats why he never cut a tag!

Let me know if you feel like going in February.