PDA

View Full Version : Hunting alone

Walksalot
12-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Since we sold the cabin I have missed spending over nighters hunting away from home so I bought myself a wall tent to remedy the situation. Now everyone is getting all irrigated given the fact I am starting to close in on 62 years of age and planning to spend a week alone hunting out of my wall tent. I don't see the problem. I tell everyone there are scads of hunters my age spending extended periods of time in the bush by themselves. Sweet Mother Of Pearl!!!

Sasquatch
12-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Get yourself a spot for christmas...it'll put them at ease and who knows, it may save your life sometime.

coach
12-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Get yourself a SPOT. That will allow your family to know where you are at all times and should stop them from getting wet.

Pioneerman
12-13-2012, 10:55 AM
LOL They can not be irrigated with you :-) Sorry had to laugh.

Are they worried about your health being out there alone. Do you have health problems or just slowing down a bit like the rest of us? As long as you can enjoy your past time safely then there should be no problems. Just make sure you post the pictures !

wsm
12-13-2012, 10:56 AM
your never by your self , unless you fly in , hike in or, take a boat up river . if you can drive there , there are other hunters around . most of us would help out in any way we could . just talk to them , let them know your out on your own . one more group here with you . pretty rare for there to be no hunters around, . outfitters tents big enough for 2 take a buddy.

nature girl
12-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Tell them for xmas to get you a spot. And one of those pack alarms I think they are called from HBC that you could put around the wall tent incase your in grizz country.
And tell your family they could always come and visit for a night. Say something like there will always be a extra cot in the tent.

Steelpulse
12-13-2012, 11:01 AM
yes agreed SPOT is the thing to get, since my brother and I have moved to BC our girlfriends hate the fact that we go out alone thinking we are going to die no matter what and explaining why we do this is impossible however suggesting to them we will get a SPOT makes everything ok. we will be picking some up over christmas.

Blair
12-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Since we sold the cabin I have missed spending over nighters hunting away from home so I bought myself a wall tent to remedy the situation. Now everyone is getting all irrigated given the fact I am starting to close in on 62 years of age and planning to spend a week alone hunting out of my wall tent. I don't see the problem. I tell everyone there are scads of hunters my age spending extended periods of time in the bush by themselves. Sweet Mother Of Pearl!!!
As others have said, get a SPOT. Then tell the others (delicately) that they need to understand your needs better.

Mr. Dean
12-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Tell 'em to pound sand and go live YOUR life the way YOU see fitting.

The nerve of some people.

MichelD
12-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm in the same boat. 59 and no health issues at all but wife hates it when I take off for three or four days alone.

Iron Glove
12-13-2012, 12:01 PM
I'll be 62 in a week and want to do the same next year but probably just sleep in the truck canopy.
Getting the "Spot" sounds like a decent idea.
Wife isn't at all concerned about me, health issues and all, she's more concerned that I might take the dogs and lose them.

Spy
12-13-2012, 12:13 PM
LOL My wife has a party when I leave on an extended hunt & always seems more relaxed when I return !What she does dislike is me getting up at 430am for day hunts, man is she crouchy when I get home ! She hates being woken up at that time of the morning !

GrandA
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Whats a SPOT? And what one should I tell my parents to get me for Christmas!? They complain all the time thanks

gamehunter6o
12-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I mostly hunt alone so this year I bought a Personal Locator Beacon incase I break a leg etc.
We don't have bears or snakes, but there are many other hazards in our bush and mountains.
I have a saying that covers what I do these days..

THE CLOSER YOU GET TO THE END OF THE PLANK, THE MORE CAREFULL YOU ARE.

I am looking for a fit young nurse to accompany me to preform CPR if I have a heart attack.:-D

trapperRick
12-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Same with me, my kids hate it when I take off by myself, I just tell them instead of them letting me hunt on my own and worrying they should hunt more and come with me.

J-Man
12-13-2012, 12:22 PM
My uncle hunted every year for 6-7 weeks up by Vanderhoof. Sitting around fishing and hunting last couple of weeks for moose. He did this since before I was born, same spot. My dad and myself always joined him for the last 2 weeks for the last 8 or so years. Well when he was 63 he had a heart attack about a week before we arrived. The only reason he lived was because a group of hunters showed up a week early for moose season. (also long time friends of his) One of the guys was a fire fighter and saved his life with CPR and stabilized him before they could medivac him out to the nearest hospital.

A SPOT wouldn't have saved him (I'm not saying don't get one, great for broken legs, getting lost or stuck.) , he was a tough old bugger and in pretty decent health up until that time. He only survived that night because some guys randomly showed up early and were visiting his tent for a drink. He hunted 4 more years before dying at home and in bed. You might think your in great shape, but some random heart attack sneaks up on yea from years of being a tough DIY type of guy. And that's all she wrote.

I'm not saying don't hunt, but I would not advocate hunting alone for extended periods specifically once your past 60. Shit happens and you never know, your age puts you in a much higher risk bracket. Find another retiree who also want to hunt for a couple of weeks.

And a shout out to the Gee's, thanks for being there.

rcar
12-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Good on ya! I hunt alone most of the time as well. I leave a detailed plan of my trip at home and go at it. I will get a Spot this year though. Just makes sense. No reason to die a slow miserable death because of broken leg.

Sofa King
12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Get yourself a SPOT. That will allow your family to know where you are at all times and should stop them from getting wet.

:-Dway too funny.
i spit up.

i agree, with getting a spot.
and 62 isn't old, it all depends on your health.
my dad was well into his sixties and hiking and hunting just as he always had.
and if they are so concerned, tell them that maybe they then better start joining you.
oh wait, then you can't use hunting as a reason to get away from everyone.

Philcott
12-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Whats a SPOT? And what one should I tell my parents to get me for Christmas!? They complain all the time thanks

Check this web site out.

http://international.findmespot.com/

421fighter
12-13-2012, 12:56 PM
I will be 79 in the next month, and like to hunt by myself, although it is mostly road hunting. My family is not impressed with it, but the boys are working, and my lady is an animal lover, so won't hunt with me. I really wouldn't mind pulling the trailer up in the hills, but it is brand new, so that idea goes over like a lead balloon. But, as someone said, the closer to the end of the plank you are, the more carefull you become.Now, if I could just find something that is in season.......!

rocksteady
12-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Or if you hunt in an area with cell coverage, get a cheap cell so you can call home or text that you are fine...

A happy wife is a happy life...

Gateholio
12-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Tell them you didn't want to die in a bed in a old age home anyway...

panhead
12-13-2012, 01:00 PM
You guy's all need a lesson ... I take of fer 6 weeks plus every year fishin' and huntin' And that's only my FALL trip.
Good wife though ...

Sasquatch
12-13-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm not saying don't hunt, but I would not advocate hunting alone for extended periods specifically once your past 60.

What happened to your uncle aside, 60 is really not that old, particularly if you are in good health. People in their 40s have hear attacks all the time , maybe they shouldn't hunt alone either?

My point is that hunting alone has an inherent danger at any age, but if precautions are taken there is little difference if you are 60 and in good health or 40. I intend to hunt alone when I am well past the OPs age. If I cop the big one while I am out there....well, there are worse ways to go.

Drillbit
12-13-2012, 01:10 PM
The only problem with SPOT is checking in from Vegas:)

Is there re-routing programming available yet?

Walksalot
12-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it. I have no real health issues except a little heart trouble which I found out was caused by alcohol. That was an easy fix I haven't touched a drop for years. I have owned a SPOT for years and have sent messages saying I am OK but that still leaves them troubled. I am so looking forward to next year. After buying the wall tent I got so excited I order a new rifle, 7mm/08 in a Tikka T3 Lite.

Walksalot
12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it. I have no real health issues except a little heart trouble which I found out was caused by alcohol. That was an easy fix I haven't touched a drop for years. I have owned a SPOT for years and have sent messages saying I am OK but that still leaves them troubled. I am so looking forward to next year. After buying the wall tent I got so excited I ordered a new rifle, 7mm/08 in a Tikka T3 Lite.

brian
12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Just a note on the spot, I have been fairly disappointed in mine and will be picking up a Personal locator beacon instead.

Walksalot
12-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Sorry for the double post.

J-Man
12-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Sasquatch I agree, regardless of age people should not hunt alone in certain conditions if it can be avoided. OP facts were extended period, remote area. Should I hunt alone? My IMHO you should find a budy, at any age. He wasn't asking about a weekend road hunting is how I read it.

gathto
12-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I have used the spot for several years now. We key it at 7 am and 7 pm each day. Our families are excited to see that we are safe. We each carry one as well we have a sat phone hidden at camp. If someone does not show up we call home and get there GPS coordinates and can instantly locate them. Sat phones are not as costly as they used to be. Worth renting one on remote outings.

Added bonus about the spot is you can get home and log back on follow your hunt from Google Earth. Spot just had a $50.00 mail in rebate might still be going.

J-Man
12-13-2012, 03:00 PM
62 years of age and planning to spend a week alone hunting out of my wall tent.
I have owned a SPOT for years and have sent messages saying I am OK but that still leaves them troubled. I am so looking forward to next year.
It looks like wsm and myself are the only ones saying hunt with a buddy. But read all these replies you got, most of them suggesting a SPOT are also talking in plural so indirectly saying hunt with someone. "we got a spot", "me and my buddy", "my brother and I". They are already hunting with buddies, or at least in some kind of group. Or just hunt in an area shared with other hunters is really the main point I was shooting for. And just let the family know your not as alone as they might think you are.

Iron Glove
12-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Tell them you didn't want to die in a bed in a old age home anyway...

All joking aside, that's basically the decision I've made going forward.
Sell my shares in the Company, sell the Vancouver mansion and get outta here next year while I'm healthy enough to enjoy what's left.
When my late Father-In-Law was in his late 80's ( died at 92 ) we were at a friend's service at an old age home and on the way out he grabbed my arm, gave it a big squeeze and said "Don't ever let me go to a place like this, shoot me first." He was dead serious so to diffuse the situation I said "Do you want me to use the 30-30 or the 12 guage ( both were guns that he gave me ) ??" He just looked me in the eyes and said "You'd better use the 12 guage, you'd probably miss me with the 30-30."

Gateholio
12-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh, I wasn't joking.

Spy
12-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Sell my shares in the Company, sell the Vancouver mansion and get outta here next year while I'm healthy enough to enjoy what's left.
When my late Father-In-Law was in his late 80's ( died at 92 ) we were at a friend's service at an old age home and on the way out he grabbed my arm, gave it a big squeeze and said "Don't ever let me go to a place like this, shoot me first." He was dead serious so to diffuse the situation I said "Do you want me to use the 30-30 or the 12 guage ( both were guns that he gave me ) ??" He just looked me in the eyes and said "You'd better use the 12 guage, you'd probably miss me with the 30-30."
LOL To funny !

Stillhunting
12-13-2012, 03:21 PM

That's hilarious.

Jagermeister
12-13-2012, 03:50 PM
THE CLOSER YOU GET TO THE END OF THE PLANK, THE MORE CAREFULL YOU ARE.

Gamehunter60 pretty well sums it up there.
The big problem with hunting alone when you get to our age is the logistics of an animal down, especially a moose. Add a medical condition to it and suddenly it becomes a colassal struggle. I have a vivid memory of that epic endeavour when I was much younger and no medical conditions.
Deer are not so bad, but dump a moose in a swamp, eiyeeh! Most times you whack a deer, it's downhill, pretty much the same for elk, but swampdonkeys.

yamadirt 426
12-13-2012, 03:54 PM

I love the old mans humor. I'm sure u miss him. Thx for sharing this. Made me laugh.

markt308
12-13-2012, 04:07 PM
you sure gotta be extra careful out there whe your by yourself! not a lot of room for error. Last year we saved a guy in the middle of no-where by total fluke who would have died a terrible death had we not randomly stumbled upon him at the end of a day of hunting. heres the story if anyone cares. The guy kept telling us how his wife and kids hate it when he goes out by himself hunting! Mind you this guy was mid 80's. a litte older!! Good info on the SPOT. I should probly own one.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?80024-quot-You-looked-Like-Angels-quot

.300WSMImpact!
12-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Or if you hunt in an area with cell coverage, get a cheap cell so you can call home or text that you are fine...

A happy wife is a happy life...

barf, bla bla happy wife crap, if she cant make herself happy you sure aint gonna

Iron Glove
12-13-2012, 04:19 PM
I love the old mans humor. I'm sure u miss him. Thx for sharing this. Made me laugh.

Actually, he wasn't joking at all. :cry:
Other than maybe he knew how lousy of a shot I was.
Miss him dearly, stories of trapping on Sumas Mountain, hunting squirrels in Central Park, fishing in Everett Crowley Park ( what became the Vancouver Dump off Kerr ) and buying his 22 at Woodwards then hopping on the trolly back to Carlton Elementary to show the class. Times were different then, maybe even better. I have his original 22, an ancient 12 guage and a 30-30 he bought in the 70's when he retired from the Post Office. Old bugger started me on the gun addiction, wife never has forgiven him. :wink:

gamehunter6o
12-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Here is a story of an 84yr old hunter lost this week.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/8073814/Hunter-84-won-t-be-deterred-by-bad-experience

Sasquatch
12-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Here is a story of an 84yr old hunter lost this week.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/8073814/Hunter-84-won-t-be-deterred-by-bad-experience

Nice happy ending to that story. Sounds like he's a tough buggar, for any age.

I had to look up what scroggin is....

Quesnel Kid
12-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Im in the same boot and Im 28! I love the feeling of being self supported and not having a contact with the outside world for a few days. I don't have a SPOT and don't really want one, maybe I don't want to be found? How do you think people did it before cell phones radios spots gps and sat phones. They hardend up and were more carefull. Shit happens if I die in the woods I die happy just like thousands of hunters before me. Boom first rant on HBC.

Big Lew
12-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Well over half of my hunting until age 62 was solo for 2 reasons. First, I really prefer to be alone when hunting or fishing, and secondly, I've found it hard to find someone that has the same keen interests as me that can take the same time off as me. (all too often someone will cancel at the last moment or will want to go home early, especially if it gets a bit miserable) Since my wife and I have retired, I've compromised my priorities to include her coming along. I still go prowling about up a mountain or through large logging slashes alone, leaving her in camp, but I no longer carry an overnight camp so I can go more than one day away from my truck.

Surrey Boy
12-13-2012, 04:57 PM

The nerve of some people.

X2

You're old enough to make your own decisions and take risks as you choose.

Jagermeister
12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
barf, bla bla happy wife crap, if she cant make herself happy you sure aint gonna

Cheap talk there sonny. You take your's with you.:tongue:

Jagermeister
12-13-2012, 05:38 PM

The nerve of some people.Not all of us can "do the Wayne".

Mr. Dean
12-13-2012, 05:43 PM
My uncle hunted every year for 6-7 weeks up by Vanderhoof. Sitting around fishing and hunting last couple of weeks for moose. He did this since before I was born, same spot. My dad and myself always joined him for the last 2 weeks for the last 8 or so years. Well when he was 63 he had a heart attack about a week before we arrived. The only reason he lived was because a group of hunters showed up a week early for moose season. (also long time friends of his) One of the guys was a fire fighter and saved his life with CPR and stabilized him before they could medivac him out to the nearest hospital.

A SPOT wouldn't have saved him (I'm not saying don't get one, great for broken legs, getting lost or stuck.) , he was a tough old bugger and in pretty decent health up until that time. He only survived that night because some guys randomly showed up early and were visiting his tent for a drink. He hunted 4 more years before dying at home and in bed. You might think your in great shape, but some random heart attack sneaks up on yea from years of being a tough DIY type of guy. And that's all she wrote.

I'm not saying don't hunt, but I would not advocate hunting alone for extended periods specifically once your past 60. Shit happens and you never know, your age puts you in a much higher risk bracket. Find another retiree who also want to hunt for a couple of weeks.

if ifi ifi if if if...... Screw that!

Living a shorter life to its fullest potential and most possible enjoyment is WAY better than to live long and die bored.
I accept that when I close the door behind me, I might not be back to open it - That's Life.

Hell, I might be taken out by a car crossing the street...

1 shot 1 kill
12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
my father is 68 he goes all time for a week or 2 alone in his little trailer an his quad..hunting..out touring new country etc..
who are we to tell him he cant do what he has done for almost 60 years anymore?
we bought him a spot 2 yrs ago..he sends a note 1-2 a week so we know where he is an if he moved
camp. the notes are appreciated when he does actually send them
but my he knows how to survive an has been thru more than most in the bush an we like to see him enjoy his retired life HOW he wants to!

*bcgold*
12-13-2012, 05:53 PM
When I had my cabin on Green Lake, thru my neighbor got to know briefly a Clinton RCMP. Around the campfire getting to know him and stuff about his job, he told me one of hardest things he had to do was to inform a elderly lady her husband passed away. The elderly man customized his quad with a boat rack and he would drive from lake to lake fly fishing.(why he didn't have a small trailer?) Over due so they had a ideal where he went and looked for him and found him dead. Forget if he died instantly or was pinned. I don't know being solo or not, but if you had a buddy at least your not talking to yourself.

srupp
12-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Just a note on the spot, I have been fairly disappointed in mine and will be picking up a Personal locator beacon instead.

hmmm if you get a moment could you please send me a PM with contact info so I might ask some questions..

Thanks

Steven Rupp

SPOT Canada rep

Surrey Boy
12-13-2012, 05:59 PM
^ Nobody says it can't happen, or that the odds aren't higher. Life Insurance premiums tell the truth. But why do we have to make choices for people? Who gave us that responsibility?

gcreek
12-13-2012, 06:18 PM
You guy's all need a lesson ... I take of fer 6 weeks plus every year fishin' and huntin' And that's only my FALL trip.
Good wife though ...

Yeah, and I've got to look after you for most of that! :p

bigslim
12-13-2012, 06:20 PM
I understand that it is your decision make. Love ones just worry, if they didn,t IMHO that would be worse.

But to me a big part of the experience is enjoying it with others.

Besides i don't like my company enough to spend time alone :mrgreen:

HarryToolips
12-13-2012, 06:24 PM
I hunt and hike alone all the time year round (huntin preds the rest of the year). I just tell my wife where im goin when I be back, compass and a map and a gun and survival gear not a big deal...

allan
12-13-2012, 06:32 PM
This year was the first time I've hunted alone , I used delorm earth mate for two way msging and left maps of the area I would be hunting. Best time I've ever had. Even if I didn't get to cut my tag. I'm doing it again next year for sure!

Soup
12-13-2012, 06:39 PM
I usually prefer to hunt alone. There is less noise and movement. I seem to hunt at a different pace while alone. Also, sucsess or failure is all on me.
That said, I'm getting pressure to not hunt alone considering what happened to me a week ago. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the thread "Unreal ending to my 2012 season", it's in the Vancouver Island forum. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I'm just second guessing, and want people to know, it does happen.

J-Man
12-13-2012, 06:46 PM
if ifi ifi if if if...... Screw that!

Living a shorter life to its fullest potential and most possible enjoyment is WAY better than to live long and die bored.
I accept that when I close the door behind me, I might not be back to open it - That's Life.

LoL you guys and your A.D.D Where exactly did I say stay home and be bored. I advised hunting with a buddy or in an area with other hunters around. :-D
I'm also not saying take your buddy and hold hands walking through the bush lol. I go hunting I do my own thing, but back at base camp I have 3 other guys that know I'll be back at nightfall, or at mid day what ever we all worked out. Just that's way we have always done it on extended trips out. Lucky I guess, 28 years I've always had someone willing to tag alone for the long trips. Even if all they want to do is just to sit in camp and relax.

Big Lew
12-13-2012, 06:53 PM
"Living a shorter life to its fullest potential and most possible enjoyment is WAY better than to live long and die bored.

Hell, I might be taken out by a car crossing the street..."
I learned a very long time ago that far too many chances to enjoy the outdoors are wasted by trying to find someone willing to go with you...life, and those opportunities are too short. Also, many of those willing to come along weren't in shape, not really serious hunters, fisherpersons, or dedicated to wilderness activities, and a real liability to have along, either because of the high risk to hurt themselves, getting lost, or ruining the purpose of the trip it's self.
It's a different story though if I'm able to take kids along because they are eager to experience, enjoy, and learn, and most importantly, most of them don't give up easily when things go wrong. I've taken many kids hiking, and it never ceases to amaze how resilient and tough they can be.

Glenny
12-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm in the same boat. 59 and no health issues at all but wife hates it when I take off for three or four days alone.

She hates it cause she knows you're having fun and are at peace. lol

Glenny
12-13-2012, 08:29 PM
I will be 79 in the next month, and like to hunt by myself, although it is mostly road hunting. My family is not impressed with it, but the boys are working, and my lady is an animal lover, so won't hunt with me. I really wouldn't mind pulling the trailer up in the hills, but it is brand new, so that idea goes over like a lead balloon. But, as someone said, the closer to the end of the plank you are, the more carefull you become.Now, if I could just find something that is in season.......!

Another lazy road hunter.:mrgreen:

Coyote
12-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm 62 and know exactly how you feel.

Two things...

Old don't start until you hit three figures, then it's negotiable, so stay in shape.

Given the choice of popping off while in the woods or finishing up drooling in a retirement home, I'll take the woods every time.

Go get a Spot, pitch your tent and enjoy the peace and quiet.

'yote

Phil A. Bowl
12-13-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm 33 and my wife and folks hate when I go by myself. They don't understand how I get so much enjoyment from being by myself for a week or so.

nomad
12-13-2012, 09:01 PM
First off... I am enjoying this thread because it is a consideration for alot of hunters here. Great responses and ideas! The SPOT is a reasonable idea and may be your solution? Just a thought from Dick Proenneke..."I have often thought about what I would do out here if I were stricken with a serious illness, if I broke a leg, cut myself badly, or had an attack of appendicitis. Almost as quickly as the thought came, I dismissed it. Why worry about something that isn't? Worrying about something that might happen is not a healthy pastime. A man's a fool to live his life under a shadow like that."

MOOSE MILK
12-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Hey I'm over 70 and hunt alone most of the time, did break an ankle last year and gonna need a hip replacement (just found that out today) that aint gonna' stop me from hittin' the bush come next Sept. Might think about one of them SPOT things though.

hunter1993ap
12-13-2012, 09:12 PM
i always go out on my own, not just hunting, but looking for sheds, setting cameras, and just out for hikes. sometimes its nice just being out on your own.

Badlands62
12-13-2012, 09:16 PM
As others have said get yourself a SPOT for Christmas. I bought one a couple of months ago and they are a great peace of mind for your family. I also do most of my hunting alone but now the family doesn't worry as much... As I say to my wife you can't tell me to get lost anymore as now they know where to find me..LOL

Candocad
12-13-2012, 09:23 PM
I got nagged within an inch of life over hunting alone, but I so enjoy it so I agreed to a SPOT.

You can "sign in" each day or so, and even let it report back 'live' so folk can see where you are and where you've been. It also makes for an interesting review after the hunt on Google Earth to see how much ground you covered.

If anyone is relying on you being around, you should get one.

Candocad.

Jonas111
12-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by .300WSMImpact!

Cheap talk there sonny. You take your's with you.:tongue:

Im showing this to his fiancé and we will see what she thinks of that. Lol.

JAYDEE
12-13-2012, 11:13 PM
I just turned 63 and love being out ther by myself.

Weatherby Fan
12-13-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm 62 and know exactly how you feel.

Two things...

Old don't start until you hit three figures, then it's negotiable, so stay in shape.

Given the choice of popping off while in the woods or finishing up drooling in a retirement home, I'll take the woods every time.

Go get a Spot, pitch your tent and enjoy the peace and quiet.

'yote

Well said Coyote......I like the way you think !
WF

hunterdon
12-13-2012, 11:47 PM
For my past 40 years hunting, I hunt about 95 percent alone. While I do enjoy another's company,(the right person of course), I actually feel safer alone. I can't help but occupy my mind with the other person's safety which detracts from my own safety somewhat. When alone, I can devote 100 percent of my concentration on what I am doing. I can't do that if someone always wants to have a conversation. But, I can understand why loved ones back home are concerned. So I have to compromise a bit. If it was up to me, I'd spend much more time in the bush, ALONE.

Gateholio
12-13-2012, 11:53 PM
I usually deer hunt alone. I'm sometimes in cell service and often a buddy knows where I am going. I would rather die in the woods, not in a old folks home, but I have no desire to unnecessarily check out early. I'm in my mid 40s but at any age, being careful is important. This year I git a bit of a scare when I slipped going downhill and my shin got caught under a blowdown and stopped, while the rest of my body was going forward. I felt all sorts of pain and realized that the only chance I had of avoiding breaking bone was to just push up and do a face plant down the hill. The fce plant hurt,my lower leg hurt, but it was better than breaking a bone. I've never broken a bone, but I expect it hurts and would be difficult to hike out.

I had my buddy with me that day,but I can imagine how it would have gone if I broke a bone. "Yeah, I need S&R to get my buddy out, he broke his leg. And send about 30 guys, cause he is a behemoth" :)
As I often hunt in cliffs and bluffs, i have got myself into few situations where I say "damn...I guess I better go take the SAFE way"

S SPOT or similar device is GREAT insurance, even if you re not hunting alone, and I urge everyone to get one. I'll probably get one soon. But it's still no substitute for being careful. Getting really hurt will ruin your hunting season. And if you are a bug guy like me, extraction from a timbered cliff is going to suck,anyway.

A couple of our members are brothers, Matt and Steve. Both young guys in very good shape. A few years ago they told the tale of one of them accidentally sticking himself in the leg with a knife when he was dressing out a deer. The other one found him and saved his life. Could have ended up very tragic if they weren't looking out for each other, and SPOT wasn't around then. Don't take your safety for granted.

Lots of guys are very comfortable in the bush, are good in that environment, but shit happens and it would suck to die over a minor mishap that temporarily crippled you. If you hunt, shit can happen. There just isn't any need these days to NOT have a SPOT type device, unless you just want to be stubborn.

Mr. Dean
12-14-2012, 01:58 AM
I've never broken a bone, but I expect it hurts and would be difficult to hike out.

You'd be amazed at what you can get done when broken up pretty bad.
Losing blood should be the biggest worry.

A couple tubes of CraZy Glue in the pocket is a good thing and everyone should have some.

hunter1947
12-14-2012, 02:36 AM

X2 as for bear spray and an air horn ,send a spot message every day to let them know you are doing fine ,,every things OK ,,my saying on my spot for a sent custom message is ,,,,(Just to let you know all is well and I am having fun) ,,My help message goes this way (This is not an emergence but I need assistance right away) and of coarse the SOS if you ever have to use this it means search and rescue will get to you ASAP,,, I don't use the track location feature this tells others your tracking path..

hunter1947
12-14-2012, 02:40 AM
Tell them for xmas to get you a spot. And one of those pack alarms I think they are called from HBC that you could put around the wall tent incase your in grizz country.
And tell your family they could always come and visit for a night. Say something like there will always be a extra cot in the tent.

X2 I have one as well.

hunter1947
12-14-2012, 02:42 AM
your never by your self , unless you fly in , hike in or, take a boat up river . if you can drive there , there are other hunters around . most of us would help out in any way we could . just talk to them , let them know your out on your own . one more group here with you . pretty rare for there to be no hunters around, . outfitters tents big enough for 2 take a buddy.

I see it this way even if others are around you can still be by yourself at most times..

hunter1947
12-14-2012, 02:45 AM

Good advice you put up..

The Dude
12-14-2012, 02:47 AM
You'd be amazed at what you can get done when broken up pretty bad.
Losing blood should be the biggest worry.

A couple tubes of CraZy Glue in the pocket is a good thing and everyone should have some.

I have a big Ole bag of Quik Clot, compliments of US Navy :D

hunter1947
12-14-2012, 03:21 AM
I spend 60% of my time alone out in the bush for up to six months if I had health problumsI would not be out there alone ,,me being in good health is the key to spending time out there for weeks on end.

Like I said earlier on this thread having a spot is my buddy ,,my partner I sent a custom or OK message every day when your contact gets this message the spot map tells them within one meter where you sent this message from map with your location as well.

I have bear spray and an air horn that I keep with me at all times ,,my spot is on my arm with the straps it comes with ,spot settings allow you to put up to 10 contacts in your settings for custom or OK sent to messages I have all 10 in my settings ,,all 10 will get my messages sent.

Two years ago you members might had noticed I got a 6x6 bull elk the weight was around 700 pounds I got this animal in my pick up truck whole with the help from my warn M12000 pound with a couple perches blocks these items you should have to make things a lot easier on you.

One thing to keep in mind when your by yourself is to slow down and do some thinking before you do it especially if the thing your going to do might get you in trouble.

Others are correct when they said if other hunters or loggers are in your area its a good thing ,,me I was helped out two times this year problems I had one was my starter packed it in give one of my families phone number I told the person what part I needed my family member to bring in ,,the next day my son and law came in with the starter truck was up and running in 15 min.

Another important thing to have with you when you are all alone is a (play bunny) just kidding LOL a good set of different types of tools ,hammer tie wire tape ,5 min epoxies cyclone alien keys etc.

Yes the spot is the most important device to have with you when you are out there alone ,,you never know what could happen you could fall down and hurt yourself ,have a hart problem drive over a bank or get snowed in ,$125.00 a year to keep my spot up and running from search and rescue is pennies for what my life is worth ,,the coast of a spot device can vary from $70.00 to a $100.00....

hunter1947
12-14-2012, 03:28 AM
I wanted to add a few more things to this upper post but won't let me this really up sets me at times had this happen about a dozen times over the last month,:confused:,what with this that I can't get back into this post to edit just a plain box will show up to popst in ????:confused:..

hunter1947
12-14-2012, 03:47 AM
Still won't let me edit my other last post this make it two this morning ???? maybe I should go back to bed someone is trying to tell me that my day is not starting out very good LOL..

*bcgold*
12-14-2012, 07:30 AM
See Hunter, this is why you need a buddy. You can't function right at 3 am.:wink:

swampdonkey
12-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Wayne you should be sleeping then and waking up now