PDA

View Full Version : What would have to happen to have a Bison open season?

BiG Boar
12-12-2012, 04:44 PM
What would have to happen to have a Bison open season? A short open season? A bow only season?

Just curious as to what everyone thinks about having a Bison open season? I would love to see one.

The population is well established and it seems that resident success is weak at best.

There are so few posted up on here, and from my 8 days up there, there was 1 taken by residents before everyone gave up 12 days into my hunting season. Out of about 25 resident tags.

Is there any talk of this? I'd even be happy to see a shared draw for them? I mean, 1 guy probably isn't going to eat a whole bison, or take one on in those conditions alone.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

winchester284
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I would guess that the past success rates are already part of the conservation calculation into how many tags are issued.

yama49
12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Would love to see it opened up.. Imo i would rather see more moose, than buffalo..

BiG Boar
12-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I would guess that the past success rates are already part of the conservation calculation into how many tags are issued.

You might think this would be the case. But then I got to thinking....

Maybe people wouldn't hunt them if they didn't "win" a tag? Maybe there would be less value to them, and people wouldn't want to freeze their arse off in November and December and January in -30 degrees for a bison.

Also, like how they close geese for a certain period of time and then reopen them, to try to actually take out more geese as they get smart if it was just left open and less would be killed. Maybe they are trying to get even more bison taken out by closing the season and reopening them like they do every month on LEH.

What if they made certain further back, harder to get at areas, open season?

Sofa King
12-12-2012, 05:08 PM
What would have to happen to have a Bison open season? A short open season? A bow only season?

Just curious as to what everyone thinks about having a Bison open season? I would love to see one.

The population is well established and it seems that resident success is weak at best.

There are so few posted up on here, and from my 8 days up there, there was 1 taken by residents before everyone gave up 12 days into my hunting season. Out of about 25 resident tags.

Is there any talk of this? I'd even be happy to see a shared draw for them? I mean, 1 guy probably isn't going to eat a whole bison, or take one on in those conditions alone.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

if they are as abundant and well-established as you say, how does that explain the residents having such low success and giving up on them?
that doesn''t seem to make sense, especially to justify having an open season.
just because they might be well-established, that's not a reason to open them up to kill them all.

KodiakHntr
12-12-2012, 05:22 PM
What makes you think that resident success is low in the first place? Simply because they aren't posted up here? I know a bunch of guys who don't post up pic's or threads about successful trips who are members on this board.

BiG Boar
12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
if they are as abundant and well-established as you say, how does that explain the residents having such low success and giving up on them?
just because they might be well-established, that's not a reason to open them up to kill them all.

Its a tough hunt. But I believe the number I heard 2 years ago was 4500 of them. Most hunters in this province are road hunters, and road hunting them doesn't really work too well. Most people I talked to never even got of their sleds. 10 days of minus 30 will make just about everyone give up.

And killing them all is not what I am saying at all. My question was, "what would have to happen to have an open season on them?"

Answers like a short season, a bow only season, a later season when nothing eles is open, ect, are appropriate answers.

BiG Boar
12-12-2012, 05:28 PM
What makes you think that resident success is low in the first place? Simply because they aren't posted up here? I know a bunch of guys who don't post up pic's or threads about successful trips who are members on this board.

I was there for 10 days. Sure it could have been an unlucky period of time for residents. But success seemed really low (~1 was taken). The outfitter said resident success was low. And not a lot of them get posted up each year. No doubt its a tough hunt. And yeah there are a LOT of stalkers on this site.

KodiakHntr
12-12-2012, 05:36 PM
All the guys I know who have pulled that permit up here, they've all been successful. That's why I ask.

As to an open season, I would love to see that. Pretty sure that a short open season wouldn't be the answer though, as there would be a lot of guys out for the novelty of the hunt, and it would be rather crowded.

Longer season, say December through February, two buff limit..... Reduce the damage that they are doing (lets not forget they are an introduced species that competes with and displaces sheep and elk) and lower the populations....

coach
12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I haven't seen Bridger on this site for a while - but know he's spoken of the damage these animals are doing to the environment up there. Would be nice to hear his take on this subject.

Big Boar - do you think the area is big enough to handle a GOS? My understanding is it can turn into a gong show at times even under LEH with limited numbers of people hunting.

tomahawk
12-12-2012, 06:31 PM
To your question "what would have to happen to have an open season", I dont think there is enough Bison to sustain a GOS. The last inventory done was in 2006 and there was approx 1300 animals. The growth rate of the herds has been consistent now for many years but not as fast as many folks believe. This report was done by Mike Rowe of the Ministry and doesnt indicate an ideal herd size for GOS. If GOS is ever opened up I believe it would be a night mare for the bison and hunters alike. There would be overcrowding like never witnessed before IMHO. Would I like it, on one hand yes, I know where the herds are and go when the going gets tough so no problem filling a tag or many tags but it would be a zoo. But common sense says it would decimate the herds once guys figured it out where they were and word spread. Just my two cents from the data I have found and the experince of 5 bison LEH hunts.

Observed and estimated population of plains bison within British Columbia from1975 to 2006
yr/bison #
1975 50
1976 70
1977 95
1978 130
1979 175
1980 201
1981 222
1982 246
1983 272
1984 300
1985 331
1986 366
1987 404
1988 447
1989 494
1990 545
1991 603
1992 648
1993 692
1994 765
1995 845
1996 933
1997 928
1998 883
1999 795
2000 826
2001 839
2002 824
2003 876
2004 996
2005 1136
2006 1302

MOOSE MILK
12-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Do they disapear in the warmer months and when it gets colder do they sort of fall out of the sky like snowflakes?
Why is it you have to hunt them in the minus 30 degree weather?

trapman
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
know 2 biologist they both say that the science has been taken out of detarmining hunting practices and been replaced by political agandas

moosinaround
12-12-2012, 06:54 PM
I think it is fine the way it is. A group hunt may be an idea to ponder, as it is usually 2 folks who go up on the hunt anyways! Might increase odds of getting the draw more than once every 16 years?? These are pretty small MU's in a provincial scale size, opening up a GOS may cause access and environmental issues for the area. I would believe it if there were FN issues associated with a GOS as well as GO issues with a GOS for residents?! LEH is probably the best residents are going to get unless some type of radical change in the resource allocation formula changes?! A very good discussion Bigboar, sure hope I get another draw before I'm too crippled up to go!! Moosin

BlacktailStalker
12-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Its a tough hunt. But I believe the number I heard 2 years ago was 4500 of them. Most hunters in this province are road hunters, and road hunting them doesn't really work too well. Most people I talked to never even got of their sleds. 10 days of minus 30 will make just about everyone give up.

And killing them all is not what I am saying at all. My question was, "what would have to happen to have an open season on them?"

Answers like a short season, a bow only season, a later season when nothing eles is open, ect, are appropriate answers.

If this is the case then the same should be done for roosevelt. Est 4200 animals, 60-65% connect on their draws.
Put a point restriction on them and watch people fail miserably because it is so thick with not the best access. They could support it I'm sure... will it happen ? Doubt it.
More opportunity on anything is good opportunity though !

cameron0518
12-12-2012, 07:29 PM
good the way it is. what a gong show it would be. my father and i both got draws and got ours in a matter of minutes from eachother. there was an uneasy feeling going to where they were due to all the scouting the day before and we didn't want to get caught in the crossfire.

Dirty
12-12-2012, 07:48 PM

1) Not everybody wants to shoot a cow. Some people are trophy hunters.
2) Not everybody goes on guided hunts.

RiverBear
12-12-2012, 07:57 PM
What do you guys think if they did it like they do black bear on Haida Gwaii ?

M.Dean
12-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Well, if there ever was a GOS for Buffalo I'd think the first thing to be looked at would be proper sign's on the Alaska highway, maybe even a Stop light at the 171 road would be a start, then, maybe pave a 100 acre parking lot at the road to the falls. A 7-11(with the little 1 dollar cheese burgers) would be a must also, and I think most would agree a nice paved double lane road, with street lights right to the ranch and well beyond would be great to see too! And, one thing I'd love to see there would be access to the base of the mountains where all the big big bulls and huge sheep live!!! I'd just love to be able to drive the 99 Saturn up into the Alpine, crawl out the door and wack a B&C Elk, Moose, Sheep or Buff!!! Maybe I'll run this by the MOE, CO's, and anyone else who would just love to see a GOE for Buffalo, like myself!!!

:smile:

fearnodeer
12-12-2012, 08:17 PM
1) Not everybody wants to shoot a cow. Some people are trophy hunters.
2) Not everybody goes on guided hunts.

Seams like some people are jealous of people that can afford to or want to go on a giuded hunt, good for those that do and yes some people hunt for trophy's but if a trophy hunter goes home without a trophy good on him for being picky and passing up game. Me last year we took the first bison we could, turned out to be one of the bigger ones in the heard 7 days in but i have a respect for people that can pass up game because they are looking for something better and are willing to go home without as long as they eat what they shoot. Just my opion.

yama49
12-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I agree the buffalo do major damage.. If you get the first draw, its like shooting cattle, quite boring.. Could have shot this bull first half hr of hunting, should have and then went some where else for rest of week :mrgreen: We saw aleast 400 buffalo forsure.. I am all for a GO season, or getting rid of them for good.. JMO
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq79/JEARL49/IMG_4784.jpg

Moose63
12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
No to a Bison GOS. As per an earlier post, the harvest amount increases annually anyway. There was a hunter last year that had a Bison draw and was looking for a partner. Not too many (if any) jumped at the chance....
BTW, you can hunt them in October, when the weather is fairly mild.

Darksith
12-12-2012, 09:33 PM

So you are telling us that you drew a bison this year? How do I get a horseshoe up my ass like you lol. Rosi last year...I believe you have had a grizz draw as well? Now a bison? Who r u sending the scotch too, and whats his address?

The outfitter said resident success was low.
If you were with a guide and didn't get one...of course he is gonna tell you that resident success is low, or he runs the risk of looking foolish to someone that just paid him a bunch of cash for nothing.

The cold isn't really a big deal if you know how to prepare for it and are accustomed to it. You can't expect to show up from the LML and be able to handle the cold. It takes a couple weeks to get used to the weather, after that -30 isn't that bad if you are dressed accordingly. Granted all early cold snaps put a good bite into people, but you do get used to it.

Darksith
12-12-2012, 09:44 PM

BB hunts on the QCI are about to be a thing of the past...that system is just the beginning, a test to see if people would cry fowl...we havent so far and soon it will be all over

reach
12-12-2012, 09:45 PM
You mean close it after 4 animals are taken, like they did on QCI?

Darksith
12-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Seams like some people are jealous of people that can afford to or want to go on a giuded hunt, good for those that do and yes some people hunt for trophy's but if a trophy hunter goes home without a trophy good on him for being picky and passing up game.

that seems like a pretty silly statement...what does trophy hunting and passing on an animal or animals have to do with going with a guide? There are lots of resi trophy hunters that will pass on animals without a guide...why would I use a guide when I can simply take myself anywhere in this province? I can afford to go on a guided hunt, but I would rather not, and simply hire my own plane and head off into the great outdoors. If you want to hire a guide in BC and are a resi thats fine, I won't look down on you, but why would you look down on someone that wouldn't want to hire a guide or couldnt afford 1.

mark
12-12-2012, 11:47 PM
I didnt read all the replies, so not sure if this has been mentioned, but the first problem I see, is how would there be any restriction on harvest? cant limit the hunt to a point count or full curl. distinction between males and females, isnt gauranteed.

ianwuzhere
12-13-2012, 12:15 AM
no to gos..
would be slaughter fest, dumb to think to extinct them. some people dont hunt moose but hunt bison when they can ;)

Gateholio
12-13-2012, 12:51 AM
It really comes down to what the bios think how many animals should be taken per year.

If they want more taken, then the best idea is to have shared hunts with 2 people(like moose) and/or spread out the LEH authorizations over a greater period of time. Lots of hunters would be keen to get the draw and hit it earlier in the year so they could combine it with moose/elk.

But it all comes down to what the end result the bios want.

fearnodeer
12-13-2012, 08:06 AM
that seems like a pretty silly statement...what does trophy hunting and passing on an animal or animals have to do with going with a guide? There are lots of resi trophy hunters that will pass on animals without a guide...why would I use a guide when I can simply take myself anywhere in this province? I can afford to go on a guided hunt, but I would rather not, and simply hire my own plane and head off into the great outdoors. If you want to hire a guide in BC and are a resi thats fine, I won't look down on you, but why would you look down on someone that wouldn't want to hire a guide or couldnt afford 1.

I think you miss understood me, i hired a guide this year for the first time for my 25th anniversary hunt with my wife, other than that we hunt on are own. Trophy hunters are like you said just not guided they are like the most of us on this site. I do not look down at anyone that would perfer to hunt on their own rather up to, i was saying the reverse, why would we look down on people that can afford to go on guided hunts. I respect trophy hunter because they are willing to pass up game in search of the big one and are willing to go home and eat tag soup if need be. Sorry is you miss understood me but thats helps keep this form intresting.

boxhitch
12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
..........But it all comes down to what the end result the bios want.regional manager says what goes on in each fiefdom.

Lots of hearsay , but no stats. Is success low or is effort low , and success high for those that hunt ?

These Plains Bison at Halfway were an accidental escape from a ranch , just what is the target population ?

Ltbullken
12-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Open season is what led to their demise!

Darksith
12-13-2012, 06:13 PM
I think you miss understood me

I did, and its all good...

BiG Boar
12-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Open season is what led to their demise!

Yes and no. First off these are not wild bison as such. They are ferral. There has never been an open season on this herd as far as I know.

Secondly, I'm not saying open season like the old days of shoot as many as you want, any time of the year. Each person massacres 20 bison each.

I am saying, restrict the days one can hunt, but let anyone go that wants to. Or an archery season? Or a shared LEH? Or a bull only season. Not many people would want to hunt a January hunt IMHO so maybe that would be an okay time to keep the crowds down. Obviously opening it when elk or moose were open would be a poor idea.

On the one side, yes it would be a gong show, but if you've ever been up for opening day, you'd know it already is on the LEH openers.

For those of you who have not done this hunt....

A lot of people choose to stay at the guides cabins and can converse with him about the hunt. He's very open and would love to see the population cut way back. At least that was the sikanni river outfitters view. I am not sure about the halfway drainage.

It is not a huge area, however, due to access though (most of it no Motor vehicles), there is a lot of area that might be okay to divide out for an open season.

I'd like to know what the resident harvest actually is, and what they would like to see the population at.