PDA

View Full Version : Paper Tuning

Elshooto
12-11-2012, 09:00 PM
I have been into archery for almost 2 years and finally feel comfortable enough to paper tune my bow. Problem is that the person I get my advice from told me today that its not that beneficial. He says that most people paper tune at 5yds and at this range the fletchings haven't had a chance to stabalize the arrows flight. As I was about to do this very thing in my basement (don't tell my old lady!) I was wondering if I would be wasting my time. Guess my question is; is there a certain range I should be tuning at?

Pioneerman
12-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Maybe this might be helpful
http://www.eastonarchery.com/img/downloads/software/tuning_guide.pdf

hunter1993ap
12-11-2012, 09:26 PM
i just paper tuned my bow and it was very beneficail. i did it at about six feet and my fixed blade broadheads and field points shoot the same, out to 70 yards. probably further but thats where i stopped shooting. i think at 5 yards the flech would start to stableize, but i am a beginer at this as well. i was told to do it at six feet and thats where i did it, and it worked awesome. although it did take me quite a few hours.

Coyote
12-12-2012, 08:24 PM
The reason you paper tune at about 6 feet is BECAUSE the fletching has not stabilized the arrow. I'd have to draw a pic to explain it properly but trust me it works and it's well worth the effort.

'yote

Jonas111
12-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Paper tuning is a waste of time unless you are dead serious target archer. I've done a tone of research on it and if you feel you need to do it then by all means spend the time on it. Not needed in most cases. This is my opinion and I mainly shoot target archery.

If you want learn more about arrows and the proper spine. If you use a PC get archers advantage and check your arrows out with your bow and see if they are spined properly. Once I spent the time with this software my arrows started to perform the way they should, perfectly. Secondly do the walk back tune method. If you have properly spined arrows and your walk back tune is dead on your arrows will be set up perfectly. Only thing I am not mentioning is that your nock is set a touch high or perfectly level. I am assuming you already know that.

Good luck which ever way you choose.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Paper tuning is a waste of time unless you are dead serious target archer. I've done a tone of research on it and if you feel you need to do it then by all means spend the time on it. Not needed in most cases. This is my opinion and I mainly shoot target archery.

If you want learn more about arrows and the proper spine. If you use a PC get archers advantage and check your arrows out with your bow and see if they are spined properly. Once I spent the time with this software my arrows started to perform the way they should, perfectly. Secondly do the walk back tune method. If you have properly spined arrows and your walk back tune is dead on your arrows will be set up perfectly. Only thing I am not mentioning is that your nock is set a touch high or perfectly level. I am assuming you already know that.

Yep ... what he said ...Unless your of the caliber to count X-rings in Vegas ... Paper tuning is generally a waste of time

Its far more benificial to walkback tune

hunter1993ap
12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Yep ... what he said ...Unless your of the caliber to count X-rings in Vegas ... Paper tuning is generally a waste of time

Its far more benificial to walkback tune
my broadheads dont ffly the same and my groups were not as good when i just walk back tuned my bow. i dont agree that paper tuning should only be needed for competition shooting. you should have your bow shooting as best it possibly can if you want to hunt with it.

Jonas111
12-18-2012, 10:03 PM
my broadheads dont ffly the same and my groups were not as good when i just walk back tuned my bow. i dont agree that paper tuning should only be needed for competition shooting. you should have your bow shooting as best it possibly can if you want to hunt with it.

To each his own. Some people swear by it but I just don't find the need to do it with a hunting bow. Plus my hunting bow fletching are helical and not really accurate with paper tuning. Then we can go into a whole other gammit of how you paper tune. For example, how far away you stand and do you shoot one arrow at close range through paper then the next one at 20 yards?

There is too many variables in paper tuning. Plus with a hunting bow we are trying to hit a 6" pie plate at 50 yards. With my target bow I am shooting a 6" circle at 90 meters.

I am not saying that paper tuning is a bad thing. All I am saying is it is over kill for hunting. Just my opinion.

Regards

hardnocks
12-20-2012, 10:57 AM

No methed of tuning is a waste of time. The more you tune the more you learn about your bow and your own shooting style.

Dirty
12-20-2012, 11:24 AM
In a lot of cases the broadhead will not fly the same as a field point because of flaws in the archers form and technique. If you can repeatedly make the exact same release, aim, and anchor points then it might be beneficial. However, most people that bow hunt do not shoot enough to be capable of this. For those that have a sight level, try shooting level and out of level to see how it affects the broadhead. Also try punching the release and squeezing, or gripping the bow slightly atypical from your normal target grip. These are all things that in the heat of the moment in the field will affect your broadhead flight. Sometimes it is important to remember to keep a calm approach when hunting in the field. I would almost say that broadhead tuning should be a mental training regime to help focus and perform repeatable steps until the arrow is released. I am relatively new to bow hunting, but I have realized that in the field it is a whole new ball game. The adrenaline rush you get from bowhunting is second to none. When you draw back for the first time it will feel like your heart is climbing out your throat and you are about to shit yourself. You will be shaking like a dog shitting razor blades. It is inevitable.

Ron.C
12-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I am in no means an expert, but I like to use both paper tuning and walk back tuning. The way I see it, you end up with a bow that is better tuned which has the end result of making you supremely confident in your equipment.

And perfect form aside which few have, in my opinion it comes down to shot to shot consistency. So do whatever you can do to eliminate equipment/tuning issues from that.

donny.brooke
12-20-2012, 06:43 PM
I paper tune so my broadheads leave my bow straight for penetration reasons.

Ruger4
12-20-2012, 07:03 PM
No methed of tuning is a waste of time. The more you tune the more you learn about your bow and your own shooting style.

paper tuning is a waste of time

hunter1993ap
12-20-2012, 07:06 PM
paper tuning is a waste of time

how do you tune your bow?

greybark
12-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Use whatever system or both yu want . Just make sure you have the time set aside to do it right as you are not only tuning your bow but also tuning your level of confidence . A hurrried session can destroy the setup you have or leave you fustrated .
Cheers .

Onesock
12-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Tune your bow every way you can before you go hunting. For guys saying there is no need to paper tune for hunting but it is neccesary to paper tune for targets. BS. Who really cares if you wound a target!!!

Jonas111
12-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Tune your bow every way you can before you go hunting. For guys saying there is no need to paper tune for hunting but it is neccesary to paper tune for targets. BS. Who really cares if you wound a target!!!

To each his own. If you have the time to waist paper tuning then go right ahead. I simply put that I found it a complete waist of time. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!

Ruger4
12-21-2012, 08:54 AM
a lot of guys don't even have the right spine never mind perfect form , and if your form isn't perfect (every single time) then how can you possibly repeat every shot perfectly when paper tuning...........
a hooter shooter will get your arrows perfect....................now you have the perfect arrow right ? , now "you" have to adjust to your not so perfect form............thats where blind bale shooting helps, but this is just my opinion also...........

Doublelung
12-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Paper tuning is an important part of arrow flight. Paper tuning does you no good unless you first spin test your arrows. Broad heads that aren't square to the arrow will have an effect on arrow flight. Ensure the insert is squarely inserted in the arrow. I always explain to people that single shots are more important then good groups. Your not going to have twenty shots on an animal. I practice for the season by shooting one arrow then giving it a rest for half an hour then shoot again. After three shots I determine what adjustments need to be made to my sights. When your hunting the first shot is what counts.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-22-2012, 10:35 AM
a lot of guys don't even have the right spine never mind perfect form , and if your form isn't perfect (every single time) then how can you possibly repeat every shot perfectly when paper tuning...........
a hooter shooter will get your arrows perfect....................now you have the perfect arrow right ? , now "you" have to adjust to your not so perfect form............thats where blind bale shooting helps, but this is just my opinion also...........

Agree ...

Lemme ask you all "pro tuners" this ... whats the perfect paper tune? Most will say bullet holes ... yet i know alot of Top shelf archers ... ie: Vegas Money types as well as National 3D champion types(US and CDN) that prefer a slight tear at 3meters out .. as they group a bit tighter...

To get a proper Idea of what your arrow is doing in flight you have got to shoot through about 10 peices of paper spaced about 1 meter apart or use high speed cameras .... How many of you "pro" paper tuners have done that?

Just a few provoking thoughts.

Dont just do something because somebody says so ... think about it

Ambush
12-22-2012, 11:43 AM
I haven't paper tuned for years. Walk-back tuning with field points and broadheads for me. There are so many variables that can produce incorrect outcomes that it's all but unattainable for the average archer.

One of the issues I have with paper tuning is that it wrecks a shooter's confidence. They can't get those perfect "bullet holes" at all ranges so they head out with that dark cloud over their confidence. And guess what? If you think you're going to make a poor shot, you will talk yourself right into doing just that.
Archery is very much a mental game when comes to letting that arrow go.

And besides, I don't shoot very good anyway, how good does my set-up have to be?