PDA

View Full Version : Hunting ladner marsh with a kayak

delboybc
12-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Hi All

I have spent a lot of time kayaking ladner marsh over the years and was thinking of trying some duck hunting. There are lots of small waterways to explore.

I was thinking of taking my double sea kayak with the person up front having the only gun.

I have looked at the regs and it looks like the area of ladner marsh is wide open and the regs have restrictions related to power boats but nothing about a kayak.

Just wondering if I am missing some critical information in regard to my plan with the local bylaws.

Thanks
Del

fowlweather
12-10-2012, 10:44 PM
nope, it has been done like that before and is 100% legal. only if you had a motor would you have to get technical. With human power you can shoot freely without any restriction. I have done it with a canoe before a few times. I also know somebody that used to kayak out to go for snows.
May I ask where you are launching from? end of river road?

Sasquatch
12-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Sounds like a great way to hunt birds. I really don't know anything about kayaks and am wondering how they are in a fast tide? The tide can run at a decent clip in the mouth of that river.

delboybc
12-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I usually launch at the boat launch on river rd just near the westham island bridge. That would be interesting going after snows, did he go off westham island?

Sasquatch it is amazing how a sea kayak can handle, just have to be careful not to get anything too fast, but even then if you have a few back eddies you can make good progress. I was just looking at the small channels in ladner marsh, there are lots of them, you just need to be careful with how high the tide is or you will get stuck.

Del

Morel
12-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Being that I will likely be the guy in the back paddling for the first bit, I would like to know if it legal to have two guns for two hunters in the boat. Mine would be stowed and unloaded while chauffeuring delboybc around the marsh. When we switch spots, I would prefer to have my gun in hand as I am more comfortable with it. I did not find anything in the regs indicating that there was a restriction on the number of firearms in a boat.

Being very new to duck hunting (just the planning stages so far) I have a couple of questions about hunting from a boat. When drifting or paddling in a boat is it more likely to come across ducks and geese on the water or in the air? My thought is that in a boat we would generally be coming across birds on the water and would likely startle them into the air for a shot. If they do not take flight, is it ethical, good form etc. to take waterfowl on the water? I did not see anything in the regs about shooting ducks on the water but have seen a few posts where opinions vary as to whether this constitutes ethical hunting.

Finally, I am thinking since we might come across both geese and ducks, what would be a reasonable shot selection for whatever we find around the next bend in the marsh. From my reading the consensus seems to be 3" 12 ga shells with #2 steel shot would be fine.

wingmaster
12-14-2012, 08:42 PM
If they do not take flight, is it ethical, good form etc. to take waterfowl on the water? I did not see anything in the regs about shooting ducks on the water but have seen a few posts where opinions vary as to whether this constitutes ethical hunting.

Lorne, care to answer this mans question

wingmaster
12-14-2012, 08:45 PM
#2s will be good for both.

pnbrock
12-14-2012, 08:45 PM
No sluicing !!!!!

Morel
12-14-2012, 08:59 PM
What is sluicing?

field marshal
12-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Ground Sluicing!!!!!! The disgusting habit of shooting ducks and geese while they are resting on the water or land.
An absolutely unsportsman like practice engaged in by morally bankrupt individuals who unfortunatly frequent this site???:evil:
This is the only way they are able to harvest any birds,as their wingshooting skills are non-existent!! 1 of them is fat and looks like an axe murderer!
The other is baby-faced and couldn't grow a real moustache so he smears mud from a potato field on his lip and pretends he takes part in Movember!:mrgreen: ----Cheers----Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
12-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Ground Sluicing!!!!!! The disgusting habit of shooting ducks and geese while they are resting on the water or land.
An absolutely unsportsman like practice engaged in by morally bankrupt individuals who unfortunatly frequent this site???:evil:
This is the only way they are able to harvest any birds,as their wingshooting skills are non-existent!! 1 of them is fat and looks like an axe murderer!
The other is baby-faced and couldn't grow a real moustache so he smears mud from a potato field on his lip and pretends he takes part in Movember!:mrgreen: ----Cheers----Field Marshal.

I actually LOL in real life after reading that. Here is a good read for you sir.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?74443-Ground-water-swatting&highlight=swat

r106
12-14-2012, 10:54 PM
I don't mean to derail this thread and remember I have never hunted ducks or geese

I'm putting my flame suit on.

Why is it considered such a bad thing to shoot them on the water? I understand the sport and skill required to call them and shoot them flying but what if your simple goal was meat? I mean we shoot deer, moose and elk that are feeding or bedded ( if they present a shot) but in most cases it's considered unethical to shoot them on the run so why not ducks?

I will say again I know nothing about duck hunting so educate me

pnbrock
12-14-2012, 10:57 PM
for the same reason you don't pound clays on the field,no sport in a sitting duck.

lorneparker1
12-14-2012, 11:04 PM
I don't mean to derail this thread and remember I have never hunted ducks or geese

Why is it considered such a bad thing to shoot them on the water? I understand the sport and skill required to call them and shoot them flying but what if your simple goal was meat? I mean we shoot deer, moose and elk that are feeding or bedded ( if they present a shot) but in most cases it's considered unethical to shoot them on the run so why not ducks?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...highlight=swat (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?74443-Ground-water-swatting&highlight=swat)

r106
12-14-2012, 11:07 PM
thanks I just saw the other link after I posted. Seems to be split it's either " okay or your going to hell if you do it " lol

lorneparker1
12-14-2012, 11:09 PM
thanks I just saw the other link after I posted. Seems to be split it's either " okay or your going to hell if you do it " lol

Yup. waterfowlers are a bueaty bunch thats forsure.

Lorne

lip_ripper00
12-14-2012, 11:43 PM

Well for one, yes Marc is a little pugy but I don't call him FAT, I don't think he looks like an axe murderer but I have never seen one so...........last time I saw him he was trying to grow a moustache but failed terribly!!!

f350ps
12-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Ha...ha...ha... you out did yerself this time Tony, that's priceless!! K

f350ps
12-14-2012, 11:54 PM

Using your logic the only obvious response is that why do we shoot shot at birds and single projectiles at game, taking distance and safety outta the equation? If ya wanna talk ethics, that's a whole other matter! K

madrona sh
12-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Would shooting them on the ground not be really hard on your decoys?