PDA

View Full Version : Gundog

MountainMan#1
12-10-2012, 05:50 PM
I have been having trouble finding a local gundog trainer. Does anyone know of someone that is able to train Gundogs in the Lower Mainland? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to get him in ASAP.
Thanks

Angus
12-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Check out BC Gamebirds on this site.

labguy
12-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I have been having trouble finding a local gundog trainer. Does anyone know of someone that is able to train Gundogs in the Lower Mainland? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to get him in ASAP.
Thanks

I would strongly suggest you find someone to help you train your own dog. It's one thing to train a dog to be a competent gundog but if you're not able to keep up to speed with your dog's development it's pretty much a waste of time for both of you.

I understand you're very new to this. Finding someone competent who is willing to help will depend on many things including how much you really want to learn this stuff. Many people are not willing to devote much time into helping someone who is not willing to listen and to learn.

The Fraser Valley Retriever Training Club . http://fvrtc.com/Site/Welcome.html has as part of it's constitution the following:

The purposes of the Society are:

a) To facilitate the training of working retrievers for recreational pursuits and the preservation of upland birds and migratory waterfowl.
b)To promote and foster the preservation, protection and restoration of wetlands habitat.
c)To hold training clinics to encourage the development of handlers and their dogs.
d)To promote the benefits of working retrievers through demonstration events and working retriever competitions.
e)To lease/acquire wetlands for retriever training and competition.
f)To expand the participant base in retriever training and competitions.

There is contact information on the website. Hopefully that contact may be able to put you in touch with someone willing to assist you.

Also, there are some very competent amatuer trainers that frequent this site that live in the lower mainland. Hopefully someone will see this and offer some help.

A very good start for both you and your pup would be to get Bill Hillmans puppy video. Following this program will give you and your dog a great foundation for future work as well as develop a great bond between you and the dog.

Good luck

britman101
12-10-2012, 09:44 PM
I will put my two cents in on this. In Canada, there does not seem to be as many pro trainers as there are South of the border. If you need someone to get the ball rolling in your dog's development as a hunting dog then a good pro trainer can provide you assistance there. If you are after retriever training, there is the fellow that runs Streamline Retrievers that you may want to talk to. However, if you are after a versatile dog that can not only retrieve but do upland you may want to talk to the lady out at the Douglas Lake ranch operation who looks after the pheasant hunting they offer at Twiggs.
Once the trainer establishes a good foundation for the dog and you, then it is up to you to take the dog out hunting. That real life exposure will make your dog a good hunting companion in the long run.

FirePower
12-10-2012, 11:05 PM
There are a number of fine trainers on this side of the 49th, but from reading previous posts this lad needs a helping hand not a pro, a compident gundog trainer that will offer help and encouragement and as labguy suggested teach him to teach his dog. Good luck lad, read, watch videos and learn all you can, dont be afraid of making mistakes nor asking foir help. We all had our first dog and they were the best no matter what we accomplished in the ensuing years.

Cedar Cowgirl
12-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Times 2 on what labguy and FirePower wrote, if it wasn't for the ferries I know he would have help in a minute. I have seen this kid asking for help in a number of posts and it's hard to fathom that there are no experienced dog folk over there willing to step up. I relize that some of you have an issue with the breeder he got the dog from but really people that has nothing to do with MM#1 or his pup. Are you forgetting your first dog, lots of us started with pound puppies and cross breds. Kids like this are the future of gundogs and hunting and who has the right to crap on his dreams, if there is more to this than meets the eye then that may a bit differant but if MM#1 wants to learn to train his dog and is willing to put in the work to train and learn then for pete sake someone take him under their wing. Think about it, what if he were your son or grandson and didn't have you to turn to wouldn't you want someone to step up? Where is the HBC willingness to help I see so often here.

Discoverer
12-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks What kind of dog you have and where do you live in Lower mainland?

bcgamebirds
12-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Just a side note, MM received a pm from me Oct 2 2012. I gave him my phone # and offered to help. I am pleased he finaly called last night. I also believe that a persons need to know how to train/run a dog in order to get the most out of using a pro. If your pro does not want to put the time into you as well as your dog Look elsewhere!

Cedar Cowgirl
12-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Times 2 on what labguy and FirePower wrote, if it wasn't for the ferries I know he would have help in a minute. I have seen this kid asking for help in a number of posts and it's hard to fathom that there are no experienced dog folk over there willing to step up. I relize that some of you have an issue with the breeder he got the dog from but really people that has nothing to do with MM#1 or his pup. Are you forgetting your first dog, lots of us started with pound puppies and cross breds. Kids like this are the future of gundogs and hunting and who has the right to crap on his dreams, if there is more to this than meets the eye then that may a bit differant but if MM#1 wants to learn to train his dog and is willing to put in the work to train and learn then for pete sake someone take him under their wing. Think about it, what if he were your son or grandson and didn't have you to turn to wouldn't you want someone to step up? Where is the HBC willingness to help I see so often here.

Just a side note, MM received a pm from me Oct 2 2012. I gave him my phone # and offered to help. I am pleased he finaly called last night. I also believe that a persons need to know how to train/run a dog in order to get the most out of using a pro. If your pro does not want to put the time into you as well as your dog Look elsewhere!

Good for you bcgb and that is exactly the kind of thing I ment when I wrote about more than meets the eye. Now Mountain Man#1 follow through for your sake as well as your dogs.