PDA

View Full Version : Moose calf with lam leg

Cami
12-10-2012, 01:30 PM
I was up in squamish last weekend to get one last trip in before it close.
Met a couple guys from Austria and Germany and had a bit of a chat.
One Of them just came back from the Elaho where he has seen some moose.
He told me that he saw a com with a calf and that the calf was limping pretty hard.
So what should one do :
Should i report it to the Co ?
Should some one put it out of his misery?
Or should you leave nature do his thing ( and let the wolfs take care of it )

I wasn't there but if i would see an animal with a bad leg in the winter i would think about of putting it out of his pain and then report it to the Co so he can pick it up and bring it to someone in need.

What would you guys do?

Paulyman
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Let nature take it's course, otherwise you could get in trouble from the law.

fishingguy44
12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I agree, its not our place to interfere unless it was somehow caused by man. It will heal up or feed the hungry (wolves) I was up there not too long ago and came across fresh cat tracks too so something will get it.

markt308
12-10-2012, 01:45 PM
thats an easy one. leave it to nature.

coach
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
You really have no choice but to leave it alone. If it makes you feel better, call the CO - although It's unlikely they will intervene in the case of a moose. I saw a California big horn on Westside road (outside of Kelowna) a few years ago that was limping - likely the result of a run in with a vehicle. I made a video of the sheep and forwarded it to the local CO who was thankful for the input and said he would make a trip out and attempt to assess the sheep. The financial cost of managing that herd made it worthwhile to assist the animal if possible.

MB_Boy
12-10-2012, 02:10 PM
You really have no choice but to leave it alone. If it makes you feel better, call the CO - although It's unlikely they will intervene in the case of a moose..

Yup......nature will take care of itself and a CO doesn't need to run out the countryside looking for an injured calf moose which would be like finding a needle in a hatstack.

It's almost like calling CO's to intervene if you saw a wolf chasing a moose.....it's just nature. That calf could have hurt itself any number of ways.....and may very well heal up depending on the severity of it's injury.

BlacktailStalker
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Unless you have a tag or an open season it's illegal to put a bullet in anything. Back to basics. Too bad though someone coulda used it as wolf bait !

madrona sh
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Your title made me hungry. My mind turned it into: "Moose calf with Lamb leg"
Sounds like a delicious dinner. :-D

seymourpats1
12-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I was looking up recipes right away!!

Glenny
12-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Leave it...............Was the leg hiding from police and on the run?:razz:

albravo2
12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
I saw a cow with two calves up the Elaho in August. Either its been a tough fall on calves and it is the same cow or there are more moose up the Elaho than most people thought. I did get a decent photo with my phone of the two calves but can't figure out how to post pics on here.

Cami
12-12-2012, 10:09 AM
I saw a cow with two calves up the Elaho in August. Either its been a tough fall on calves and it is the same cow or there are more moose up the Elaho than most people thought. I did get a decent photo with my phone of the two calves but can't figure out how to post pics on here.

Yeah there are a couple up there i have seen them every-time i went up there this year.
I almost ran one over a couple of weeks ago - i think thats what happened to the calf.

Walksalot
12-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Mother Nature is a great healer. If you kill it, it has no chance. But boy, it sure does pull at your heart strings.

Cami
12-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Its not that i would have done it i just wanted to know the general thoughts about it.
If it would be in the spring it wouldn't be that bad and i m almost sure it would make it, but now with the snow it has almost no chance.

dogger
12-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Leave it to nature. Thats just the way it works. Sad but true.

Husky7mm
12-12-2012, 05:03 PM
As the others have said- let nature take its course. Who knows, maybe it will survive. I would shoot it only if it was really suffering (ex. hit by a car & lying or barely moving by a road side - still alive but mortally wounded) and then get in touch with the authorities asap.

Not too long ago Eve & I came across a very large coyote/small wolf just east of Fraser on the way to Gang. It was limping with one leg dangling only a hundred ft. or so away. We let it go.

Thats different....... SHOOT man, SHOOT! No tag required, and its a predator!

Husky7mm
12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
It may have lived. I saw a big bull elk with a bummed leg once in the winter and saw him again (still limping) in the summer, he looked pretty good. He completely segragated himself from the rest of the elk in some strange country and it likely helped him survive predation.
Also my cousin took a 45 inch bull moose with a healed/ morphed rear knee. It looked like the whole knee had shattered at one time and it all grew back together and still worked! I was a big ball, and one quarter was noticeably smaller due to it favouring the leg.

phoenix
12-12-2012, 05:57 PM
It's amazing how animals heal up. Check out this coyote I shot a couple of years ago.
Kim
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/hunting06/DSC01121.jpg

Junorr500
12-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Though this thread was started as a recepie for moose and lamb of some sort.