PDA

View Full Version : 7-20a Dec-Feb Success so far??

moosinaround
12-09-2012, 09:33 PM
So how is everyone making out up North in the 7-20a Zone for elk? I am heading up end of Dec with my son, and just wondering how things are looking up there. Gonna do the AG zone on some private land this year, hope to come home with some meat for the freezer. Let me know how you make out, I will do the same when we come back.

Thanks, Moosin

coach
12-09-2012, 09:44 PM
I've had that draw a couple times now, Moosin'. Access to private land and really cold temperatures seem to be the ticket. Good luck up there! Looking forward to one day getting drawn again.

The Dawg
12-09-2012, 09:49 PM
I know where a guy that had that draw last year shot a tasty bull calf....

Had some excellent help too.

I can share that info for some steaks :)

moosinaround
12-16-2012, 09:26 AM
So anyone connect yet? I am hearing good things about the herds heading into fields already! Can hardly sleep! More excited about this trip than I am about the world ending!!! Moosin

mbway
12-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Ive seen 3 cows in the back of pickups going through town. Must be some success.

elkdom
12-16-2012, 10:38 AM
So anyone connect yet? I am hearing good things about the herds heading into fields already! Can hardly sleep! More excited about this trip than I am about the world ending!!! Moosin

nearby local fields(7-20a) have close to 3ft of heavy snow, any exposed and unfenced hay bales are being hit hard by thieving elk, that said,,,
there are NOT many "exposed and unfenced hay bales":neutral:

I have observed quite a few " LEH late season out-of-town elk hunters" driving around looking dismayed,

Ag Zone areas South East of Dawson Creek has a lot of O&Gas activity and fracing going on, and elk still are present but are nocturnal in behavior

bowhunterbruce
12-16-2012, 12:51 PM
although the snow up here has been on the heavy side, , elkdom refers to them mostly being nocturnal these days and thats even true over in my neck of the words a few km.s away, this much snow at least gives a person willing to do the research on the area and work them in the thick cover real slow and walking like animals do. work the wind and believe behind every tree another animal is watching ya, you should have success. just be prepared as best you can to handle the constant minus 20 and deep snow.
i once still hunted a herd with my montana cow elk decoy in my hand, i walked up to 3 bulls in the thick cover within 20,28 and 31 yards. just a thought.
sometimes waiting for them to appear isn't an option, one just has to go get them by any means available.
goodluck
bhb

moosinaround
12-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys, I am heading up there on the 28th around hudsons hope. Trying a new chunk of private land, but if that fails I will go to my old area. Anyone know of someone having problems with the elk? Might as well help someone out as opposed to going to my usual spots! Thanks folks, Moosin

The Dawg
12-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Well I know of one successful new hunter that bagged a cow elk today.

coach
12-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Pics, Dawg, or it didn't happen! :-D

Caveman
12-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Just saw a picture! Congrats to Leo!!

moosinaround
02-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Well, heading up there on friday for one last kick at the elk. Whats happening up there folks? We have an any elk tag , and an antlerless tag. Weather is supposed to be warm, so that is working against us, any news on farmers having problems? Any info is always appreciated from my friendly Peace area fellow HBCers! Moosin

vip_ruger
02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Send me a pm and I should be able to get u a cow they are coming in every day since dec

moosinaround
02-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks to all who replied, it is much appreciated. Gonna head up and see whats cooking. Weather looks like its gonna suck for getting elk into the fields, but ya cant shoot them in 7-20a if yer on the couch in 7-10!! Moosin

Redneckpg
02-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Me and a buddy have an either sex & anterless draw and are planning to come up this weekend, any help to put in right direction would be greatly appreciated. Had a couple farms to hunt in Feller Heights area, but they havent been seeing any elk lately. Planning on trying around chetwynd.

How much snow up there?

Can bring some salmon/halibut as a thank you for some permission on private land

Tuffcity
02-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Advice we got was hop a sled and check clear cuts up Jackfish Lake Road. No sled so we didn't. Elk pretty scarce. Didn't see any sign in Lone Praire either. Farmers around Ground birch said elk have left the fields too. Saw. Lots of moose, a zillion whitetails, some caribou and a couple of wolves, no elk. Pink Mountain might be a better option.

Redneckpg
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks
Doesnt look like I can go till Mon/Tues now. I do snow removal and of course we got some last night (mainly melted now), but suppose to get some Sunday.
My buddy just left to go for weekend, so hopefully he can find them

moosinaround
02-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks
Doesnt look like I can go till Mon/Tues now. I do snow removal and of course we got some last night (mainly melted now), but suppose to get some Sunday.
My buddy just left to go for weekend, so hopefully he can find them
Ill see him up there. We are leaving in an hour! Good hunting to him! Moosin

moosinaround
02-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Back from the Peace! We went 2 for 3 this LEH season. My sister shot a nice cow in Dec and my good buddy shot a beauty hefer calf sun. My son was left with a tag but it was not from a lack of effort! The Peace country in the winter is one of my favourite places! Moosin

just hunt
02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I see on fsj now some problem elk if anyone cares