PDA

View Full Version : blacktail

xcaribooer
12-07-2006, 02:58 PM
This is just out of pure curiosity. It seems most lowermainland hunters have in their plans a trip "up country" to hunt mulies or whitetails at least once per season. I am curious how many interior residents make it a priority to go to the coast to find a blacktail in the fall?

Stone Sheep Steve
12-07-2006, 03:46 PM
"Not many" is my guess:| . Kinda like a person from Sask going down to hunt cous deer.
Yes, I know there are very challenging and all that but................:| really, come on now.

SSS

~T-BONE~
12-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Tough to convice someone to come down from the interior to chase a few deer if they're lucky, as apposed to going to some spots up there and seeing lots. I personally am I die hard BT hunter and finally said F--k it. Headed up only to have non stop action for 3 weekends in a row. That was alot more rewarding for the effort i was putting in! Not to say that I haven't had days at the right time of year down here that were is good as up there! Just few and far between!

Elkhound
12-07-2006, 04:40 PM
You said it T-Bone. Not to mention most guys want to see more meat out of their animals not the 50lbs from a blacktail:lol:

Ddog
12-07-2006, 09:20 PM
i just have to post on this one, BT hunting is hard, true, but the spot that i had for the past dozen years or so was always non-stop action from Sept to closing in Dec. you guys must be in the wrong spot. and yes this was in the lower mainland . on a bad night i would see 6 - 8 deer the best night in the past was 32 in 1 night going to the same field. most years i would pass several bucks after taking one down with the bow.
cheers................ddog

~T-BONE~
12-07-2006, 09:31 PM
i just have to post on this one, BT hunting is hard, true, but the spot that i had for the past dozen years or so was always non-stop action from Sept to closing in Dec. you guys must be in the wrong spot. and yes this was in the lower mainland . on a bad night i would see 6 - 8 deer the best night in the past was 32 in 1 night going to the same field. most years i would pass several bucks after taking one down with the bow.
cheers................ddog

There aren't many spot s like that around unless u r hunting private land! Am I correct?

My best was 22.. But did not have permission to hunt! Thanks to poachers know I'm lucky if I see a 1/2 dozen on a good night!

Sorry to help redirect this thread..

boonerbuck
12-07-2006, 09:34 PM
There's a few up here who head to Bella Coola to bow hunt black tails because they are open til X-Mas.

Steeleco
12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
All you have to do is sit over the cranberry fields near Derby reach park. The place is crawling with deer. The only way your going to hunt it is to buy the land!!!
As far as interior guys hunting coast mountains, I would think it's unlikely, if it wasn't so close to home for a day trip I would have given up a long time ago. Although it's quite the feeling when you do finally get one!!!

Ddog
12-07-2006, 10:16 PM
T-BONE........i should of mentioned that it was crown land, although i did have permission to hunt on one 57 acre parcel and did harvest only one buck from it, the others somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 bucks were all from crown land and i know of 1 other bowhunter that still hunts it on a regular basis and it is around 40+ acres surrounded by lush green meadows and a beautiful creek in the middle of it.
cheers....ddog

BCLongshot
12-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Ya Steeleco your right about the Derby area ! I work for Graestone Ready-mix which is right there and I see deer all the time when I'm in the mixer.

~T-BONE~
12-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Ddog.. I'm guessing its probably on aspecial area map or shotgun only spot closer to the city?????????? You must have a couple of dandys!!! NO? Should maybe get that thread "Your best BT" going again?

xcaribooer
12-08-2006, 01:27 AM
I can definatly see the point about seeing numbers of deer but I was just thinking mabee if you already have nice whitetail and mulie mounts in your rec room that there might be a itch to try and find a nice 4x4 blacktail mount to go with them.As far as meat goes, I took a Harrison blacktail two years ago that the 4 quarters dressed at wheymouth meats weighed 131lbs.that would put the live weight at slightly over 200lbs.Not to open another debate here but if a quality blacktail trophy is the most challenging of the three why wouldnt more hunters that have been there done that with mulies and white tail want to try for one of these?

Steeleco
12-08-2006, 07:11 AM
The one I took above Sylvester road was 123lbs on the hook. Took to 2 hours to pack 150 yards in the 45* pissy raining cut block, but it was worth it!!

stanway
12-08-2006, 07:55 AM
The one I took above Sylvester road was 123lbs on the hook. Took to 2 hours to pack 150 yards in the 45* pissy raining cut block, but it was worth it!!

:lol: That is exactly what happened to me last month - except the rain held off until I got the two halves up to the road. :shock:

:lol:

rollingrock
12-08-2006, 08:13 AM

Just for this reason you need a strong boy to come with you.:lol: In another ten years Shane might be able to sling you and the buck out one by one!

Steeleco
12-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Damn kid could have found a nice buck on the road!!!!

Elkhound
12-08-2006, 10:47 AM
I took a Harrison blacktail two years ago that the 4 quarters dressed at wheymouth meats weighed 131lbs.that would put the live weight at slightly over 200lbs.Not to open another debate here but if a quality blacktail trophy is the most challenging of the three why wouldnt more hunters that have been there done that with mulies and white tail want to try for one of these?

I know they hit that for sure. My deer last year was 210lbs field dressed. They are not that common mind you. I was laughing when I said 50lbs of meat.

And I fully agree with you about a good BT being a trophy too. In my opinion they are the hardest deer to hunt, and everyone I know that hunts for BT, WT, and mulies all agree. They are smart as hell and the terrain is incredibly tough. A hardcore mulie hunter would love the challenge I am sure. And I have seen and read interviews with guys like Jim Shockey that have all kinds of trophies but no BT trophies. That says something right there. I love BT hunting. What a challenge. But to answer you question....I have no idea why guys don't try for them. I know tons of guys on the coast here who do not hunt on the coast. Ever. They go for their elk or moose up north and try for their mule deer at the same time.:confused:

~T-BONE~
12-08-2006, 11:32 AM
. But to answer you question....I have no idea why guys don't try for them. I know tons of guys on the coast here who do not hunt on the coast. Ever. .:confused:

- lack of sign
- lack of sightings
- No bucks
- too many road hunters / atv's
- terrain is too steep and too many windfalls
- Not enough access (gates)
- slahes grow in too fast or you can't see throuh them till late oct/nov
- weather is always bad
- nobody wants to go with you locally

Ultimatly IMO people think it is too much work which in most cases they are right! But like most hunting you find the better spots and then concentrate to find the honey holes! So in the end unless you are after something in particular maybe just meat your efforts would be best spent in areas up country. Obviously with higher concentrations of deer.

I like hunting these elusive deer too but often get frustrated. Fishing for steelhead is best compared to hunting BT's and you even get a couple of great days with them too...

Jetboater
12-08-2006, 11:43 AM
[quote=~T-BONE~]- lack of sign
- lack of sightings
- No bucks
- too many road hunters / atv's
- terrain is too steep and too many windfalls
- Not enough access (gates)
- slahes grow in too fast or you can't see throuh them till late oct/nov
- weather is always bad
- nobody wants to go with you locally

All the more reason to go for them !!!! I saw 21 blacktail bucks this year and not one would have been classed as a shooter for me, but bottom line is I was hunting alot this year.I mainly bowhunt them and could have shot a couple dandys if the rifle was in hand.

Bottom line is I saw more mulie bucks in one day in princeton than this whole year in the fraser valley.

T-BONE did you see Jamie's buck???? 139 Gross!!!!!

~T-BONE~
12-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Bottom line is I saw more mulie bucks in one day in princeton than this whole year in the fraser valley.[/quote]

Yup you pretty much summed it up there in one sentence

T-BONE did you see Jamie's buck???? 139 Gross!!!!![/quote]

Lucky *******!:-? Not too bad for a guy that intendeed to go sledding! On the road to boot too!:shock: I guess he will be doing a lifesize mount out of it!!
I thought it was a little bigger as it looked so symetrical in the picture.. oh well still a great deer.

xcaribooer
12-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Too much work? doesent that make the reward greater? Why do you hunt sheep and goat then, what could be more work than that??

Elkhound
12-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Too much work? doesent that make the reward greater? Why do you hunt sheep and goat then, what could be more work than that??

Yup, reward is greater. And I swear BTs are half goat.:lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
12-08-2006, 01:27 PM

Sheep and goat country is a "little nicer" than the home of most blacktails.

SSS