PDA

View Full Version : Blind or tree stand for bow hunting

fishingguy44
12-09-2012, 06:37 PM
I have a local spot i wanna do some more treking around during the off season to narrow down my spots but having trouble deciding to set up a stand or a blind. with the time i have in the summer im sure the deer would get use to either one.

The Dawg
12-09-2012, 06:39 PM
IMO a natural blind would draw less attention from others than a tree stand.

As well as you would not have to learn to compensate for a downward shot

fishingguy44
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
how much do you have to compensate for downward shots?

Hillbros_96
12-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Either work, you just have to learn to Aim higher then you think to hit the vitals depending on how close the animal is to you. Tree stand has the advantage of being higher and seeing them come in better. Shooting lanes can also be a bit better with the tree stand as you are not shooting through windows.

coach
12-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Both ground blinds and tree stands work - depending on the situation. Hillbros_96 - your information is backwards. Aim low while shooting up or downhill.

hunterdon
12-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Both ground blinds and tree stands work - depending on the situation. Hillbros_96 - your information is backwards. Aim low while shooting up or downhill.

You beat me to it coach. Aim a bit lower. Depending on your equipment, distance and angle. Usuallly 1 to 2 inches lower. I also use both ground blinds and tree stands. It all depends on the terrain. Private land, crown land, Good trees, no trees, costs etc. And of course, some don't like heights.

hunterdon
12-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I forgot to mention. When selecting a site for either tree stand or ground blind, depending on what you are hunting, mule deer, wt deer, bear etc. All these animal's routine changes as the season changes. So, if you plan to hunt the early bow season, such as in early September, versus the late bow season such as in early December, and in between, your ideal set up location can vary markedly. So, keep that in mind this summer when selecting your site. A good set up is only as good as it's location. As they say in real estate, location, location, location.
Good plan to set up well in advance though as you pointed out, the animals will get use to it. Good luck next year!

anotherone
12-09-2012, 08:12 PM
after 22 yrs of using tree stands, i would say treestand are way better, that being said i have also wished i was in a ground blind a few times when the animals have walked just a bit out of range and a stalk would have been nice.
when shooting from a stand picture where your arrow would exit when aiming.
if you do some practice shooting you'll also see that there is no need to compensate for your height unless your wayyyy up there, to be out of a deers eye site you just need to be at around the 20' mark.
trust me,, do some practice shooting from your stand and you will see that you do not in fact aim lower like someone said,, aiming lower would result in a bad shot!, again picture where your arrow will exit from the angle you are on it usually means that if you aim lower, you hit lower, aim for the top of the lung on the entrance side resulting in mid or lower lung on the exit side.
DO NOT AIM LOWER

Hillbros_96
12-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Coach, you are right and I was wrong when it comes with angles and shooting due to gravity, but the majority of now hunting from a stand does not require a adjustment for angle unless you are over 20 feet in the air. When I meant shoot high is that if you shoot for the typical heart location from a tree stand the angle of the arrow entering the body may not penetrate the heart due to angle, so aiming for the heart you need to aim higher in the body so the angle of the arrow can get the heart.

coach
12-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Good points, anotherone and Hillbros_96 about where on the animal to aim. I was referring to the ballistics of shooting up or downhill. I think we can all agree on the importance of practice.

With regard to the OP's question, it's a good plan to have several locations scouted. Wind direction can be a big factor on whether a stand will produce on a particular day. It's nice to have options.

Wild one
12-09-2012, 09:24 PM
My self if there is a good tree use a tree stand. If it is a good location but no good spot for a stand use a blind.

Both work but I find deer don't notice you as much in a tree as they do on the ground

twinpeaks3
12-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Can't fall out of a blind

hunterdon
12-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Coach, you are right and I was wrong when it comes with angles and shooting due to gravity, but the majority of now hunting from a stand does not require a adjustment for angle unless you are over 20 feet in the air. When I meant shoot high is that if you shoot for the typical heart location from a tree stand the angle of the arrow entering the body may not penetrate the heart due to angle, so aiming for the heart you need to aim higher in the body so the angle of the arrow can get the heart.

Gotcha Hillbros_96. I now understand what you meant, and as you explained you are most correct. One has to imagine the arrow penetrating at the angle striking the internal vitals in order to identify exactly where the entry point on the animal should be. In that scenario, yes you want your arrow's entry point a bit higher in order to hit the vitals appropriately, taking into account the arrows downward projectory. Sorry, I didn't mean to counter dict your post. I guess it's because there's actually 2 scenarios happening here at the same time. The second being the reduced gravity effect on a steep angle shot.

hunter1947
12-10-2012, 02:03 AM
I like the stand because you get up off the ground can see more and your scent stays up off the ground level better then staying on the ground..