PDA

View Full Version : tanning a hide

olympia
12-09-2012, 06:33 PM
does anyone know where you can purchase a tanning kit for hides?

Apolonius
12-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Wholesale sports bought the supply store in Calgary.You should be able to get your kit there.Just go in their site and find taxidermy supplies.Or in the states vandykestaxidermy.com

BCKyle
12-10-2012, 02:28 AM
There is another thread someone asking about tanning; in that thread is a link to a basic tanning process that didn't sound like it needed anything fancy, just a chemical from the pharmacy.
I've never done it; wish I had kept the hide from my buck and tried but so be it; I'll try next year.
good luck!

thumper1
12-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Halfordsmailorder.com has a variety of hide tanning kits. They're based out of Edmonton.

olympia
04-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Halfordsmailorder.com has a variety of hide tanning kits. They're based out of Edmonton.

i tried their website and didnt find any tanning chemical, can anyone here steer me in the right direction? i was hoping for something local in bc

KTownKiller
04-21-2013, 07:42 AM
I've got some that I won't ever use. Where are you? I've tanned a bear and a goat cape... I'm in Kelowna.

bassplayer
04-21-2013, 08:02 AM
There is another thread someone asking about tanning; in that thread is a link to a basic tanning process that didn't sound like it needed anything fancy, just a chemical from the pharmacy.
I've never done it; wish I had kept the hide from my buck and tried but so be it; I'll try next year.
good luck!
That chemical from the pharmacy you are thinking off is called Alum powder. I used to use that stuff myself. Now you can get kits from Van Dykes and i believe Cabelas has them too. These kits use stuff known as Sodium Bicarbonate as a neutralizer after the pickling process. Don't panic and blow your wad on that stuff. Sodium Bicarbonate is just the chemical word for baking soda.

olympia
04-21-2013, 12:07 PM
i have access to sodium bicarb(baking soda) and muriatic acid and rock salt. I just needed some lutan