PDA

View Full Version : new here! first "hunt"

mattmcgiver
12-09-2012, 01:12 PM
hey guys, im new here, so i will start by giving you some background of the journey to my hunting career. im matt, im 27, ive been hunting for 1 day..... ive wanted to since i was about 13!
i lived in edson alberta when i was 12-14 where i was first introduced to hunters and hunting culture. i was in cubs and enjoyed all things outdoors but didnt have any hunting, fishing, or outdoorsman influence from my dad. i did manage to get a compound bow from my grandma for christmas one yr, and promptly began competing in archery indoors. i won the provincials but the part of archery i lived for was the outdoor 3d hunts. fastforward 10 yrs, im 24 still wanting to hunt but not really knowing where to start. my friend recomended challenging the core course, so while i was layed off i got the manual, studied for 2 weeks, challenged and passed the test! now i ready to bow hunt! ( except for not having any hunting gear, bowhunting friends, or any idea how to get myself started).. 3 yrs pass and im still spinning my wheels on my hunting "career". luckily this past summer i made a new friend through church that shared an interest in hunting and the outdoors. we went and challenged our PALs together through silvercore both passing. ( my friend narrowly getting through...) since then i have been rifle shopping getting opinions on chamber and manufacterer preference. i have recieved a battary of advince spanning the spectrum from 270 to 300wsm.
so i missed deer season but still have 500$ burning a hole in my pocket. thanks to someone posting the international sale flyer, i spotted the benelli nova pump and decided i would catch bird season. so after dropping close to 800 on dvc range membership, my shotgun, my license and tags, and rounds, i finally made it out last night! i almost didnt make it due to my basement flooding yesterday, but i made it to chilliwhack with about 50 mins of shooting time left. first few flocks of ducks coming in i panicked and didnt get a great shot off, but by my 3rd chance i dropped my very first duck. small to medium size female, caught her on the wing and ended up having to crush her head after she was grounded. next shot i got a sizeable male! insta kill! so still beond excited i hand my gun over to my buddy so he has a chance to get a bird before we lose light. he got 3 or 4 shots off without any success before we had to call'er. moral of the story, for the first time ever i have food in my fridge that i know exactly where it came from!!

any comments, suggestions, criticism is welcome! thanks for the support in advance

The Dawg
12-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Welcome.

Paragraphs are your friend

r106
12-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Welcome. sounds like your well on your way.

I've been thinking about trying duck hunting as well. Did you have some private land to hunt or did you hunt on crown?

BearStump
12-09-2012, 01:38 PM
hey guys, im new here, so i will start by giving you some background of the journey to my hunting career. im matt, im 27, ive been hunting for 1 day..... ive wanted to since i was about 13!
i lived in edson alberta when i was 12-14 where i was first introduced to hunters and hunting culture. i was in cubs and enjoyed all things outdoors but didnt have any hunting, fishing, or outdoorsman influence from my dad. i did manage to get a compound bow from my grandma for christmas one yr, and promptly began competing in archery indoors. i won the provincials but the part of archery i lived for was the outdoor 3d hunts. fastforward 10 yrs, im 24 still wanting to hunt but not really knowing where to start. my friend recomended challenging the core course, so while i was layed off i got the manual, studied for 2 weeks, challenged and passed the test! now i ready to bow hunt! ( except for not having any hunting gear, bowhunting friends, or any idea how to get myself started).. 3 yrs pass and im still spinning my wheels on my hunting "career". luckily this past summer i made a new friend through church that shared an interest in hunting and the outdoors. we went and challenged our PALs together through silvercore both passing. ( my friend narrowly getting through...) since then i have been rifle shopping getting opinions on chamber and manufacterer preference. i have recieved a battary of advince spanning the spectrum from 270 to 300wsm.
so i missed deer season but still have 500$ burning a hole in my pocket. thanks to someone posting the international sale flyer, i spotted the benelli nova pump and decided i would catch bird season. so after dropping close to 800 on dvc range membership, my shotgun, my license and tags, and rounds, i finally made it out last night! i almost didnt make it due to my basement flooding yesterday, but i made it to chilliwhack with about 50 mins of shooting time left. first few flocks of ducks coming in i panicked and didnt get a great shot off, but by my 3rd chance i dropped my very first duck. small to medium size female, caught her on the wing and ended up having to crush her head after she was grounded. next shot i got a sizeable male! insta kill! so still beond excited i hand my gun over to my buddy so he has a chance to get a bird before we lose light. he got 3 or 4 shots off without any success before we had to call'er. moral of the story, for the first time ever i have food in my fridge that i know exactly where it came from!!

any comments, suggestions, criticism is welcome! thanks for the support in advance

That is actually a very small spectrum to span. not much difference at all between these two calibres, or any size inbetween, or their performance.

604redneck
12-09-2012, 05:57 PM
u dont have to crush the ducks head just pick it up by the head and spin it around will break its neck and probably less messy lol!

mattmcgiver
12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
@redneck. my buddy did that but it still seemed have a lot of movement, more than just nerves. so went for the quickest method possible
@ bearstump. not meaning spectrum of bullet diameter, spectrum of chambers 270 30-06 308 7mm 300 wsm. and each one for a different reason. all confusing info for a newb
@r106 we hunted private land. a church in chilliwhack. great spot!!

mattmcgiver
12-09-2012, 09:47 PM
and plan to go back for more this sat! cooked a breast tonight with some slightly spicy bbq sauce, excellent flavor!

Fella
12-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Welcome. sounds like your well on your way.

I've been thinking about trying duck hunting as well. Did you have some private land to hunt or did you hunt on crown?

r106, do it! I thought it wouldn't be all that exciting until I tried it. I was out with mattmcgiver yesterday and we had a blast! We have access to private land, but I know there are guys in the 'wack who hunt on some of the bars on the Fraser. You'd probably want to check if it's actually legal to hunt there, but apparently there are a ton of geese on some of them (geese open on the 15th)

mattmcgiver
04-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Now custom building my first rifle for bear season. Got a savage axis stainless action in 308. 300$ a Boyd's pepper laminate stock. Featherweight thumbhole.150$
Now looking for a scope to fit a 200$ budget. And a local glass bedding kit supplier! Hit me with your wisdom

russm
04-18-2014, 06:49 PM
I've got an axis in .308, I put a vortex diamondback on it for around $200, seems to be a nice pairing, hopefully I'll get out for a bear soon.

mattmcgiver
04-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Just 3x9x40?

gutpile
04-18-2014, 08:23 PM
So hows your hunting career coming along ? have you shot a big game yet ?

mattmcgiver
04-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Nothing but ducks yet. But am going to port Renfrew first weekend in June. Hoping to run into a blackie or two.

mattmcgiver
04-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Will probly be custom laser engraving antler style checkering on the pistol grip and for end!

The Hermit
04-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Congrats and I like the determination you show in your story! Once you get your yayas out with the firesticks hopefully you will pick up a modern bow and put those excellent archery skill to real use! 3-D is a lot of fun but it doesn't nearly match the challenge and test of your hunting skills like the real thing! Now that you have a .308 which IMHO is a great round for deer and black bear you might want to consider a bigger whomper for elk, moose and possible g-bear - maybe a .338 or a .300 WSM

Cheers,

russm
04-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Yes it's a 3-9x40 nice and clear compared to the bushnell I had in it...

Kudu
04-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Nothing but ducks yet. But am going to port Renfrew first weekend in June. Hoping to run into a blackie or two.

Nothing wrong with shooting ducks and geese to start ones hunting career - I have had both my sons doing that for three seasons - (both shoot really well now) My oldest son is investing in his first hunting rifle - (7mm RM) - and should be after fur this season.

Good luck with your build and hunt - don't give up on the birds though.

PS - predator hunting is a great way to get used to your new rifle - just load appropriate bullets and have some fun.

finngun
04-19-2014, 09:57 AM
just one idea about shooting...any gun you take hunting ..please..practice a LOT..shotgun-clay shooting,,rifle--get 22/ first then shoot bigger rifle,,join shooting club,,etc..shoot-shoot,,till you know you gun bullets,,shooting distances.. safety,,and-and..there is lot to learn..
i start my hunting career,,with big mistake..wing shooting,,no experience,,bullet belt empty,,--no single duck..then i decide,,i need practice,,so i did,,then i start getting ducks and another flying birds:mrgreen:..cheers f-g

mattmcgiver
04-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Appreciated! @finngun. I did mention i have membership. Guess I failed to report I picked up a savage 22wmr! Love it! Lots of practice with that! Just wish I could buy bulk rounds!

mattmcgiver
04-19-2014, 02:01 PM
@hermit I would love to bow hunt. Just A) am out of practice and B) don't have much money to put into it

mattmcgiver
04-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Just picked up a red field revolution. 3x9x40 . now mounting... Tips? Hard ware preferences? Thinking I should get a rail for adjustability. Any advice appreciated

bigredchev
04-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Use blue loc tite on the screwsm don't crush the scope just hand tight with a screw driver is fine. The caps for the scope should never touch and the gaps even.

Keep shouldering the rifle to get the proper distance for eye relief, moving it fore and aft in the bases or rings to make it suit your personal grip on the gun.

Good luck and happy hunting

BearSupreme
04-23-2014, 01:27 PM
congrats on getting into hunting! Cant wait to see you post a bear or 2 on here this spring! Look for them later in the day anywhere there is grass. Cheers!

r106
04-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Now custom building my first rifle for bear season. Got a savage axis stainless action in 308. 300$ a Boyd's pepper laminate stock. Featherweight thumbhole.150$
Now looking for a scope to fit a 200$ budget. And a local glass bedding kit supplier! Hit me with your wisdom

I used Devcon epoxy to bed a few rifles. Worked great. I got it at Acklands I think this was the stuff https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=DVC10110

r106
04-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Just picked up a red field revolution. 3x9x40 . now mounting... Tips? Hard ware preferences? Thinking I should get a rail for adjustability. Any advice appreciated

I use Leupold dual dovetail mounts or talley lightweights.

mattmcgiver
04-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Thanks! The only reasonable rail I can find is weaver. Do most rings fit that?

r106
04-23-2014, 09:00 PM
IMHO rails are for AR's and LR target rigs

mattmcgiver
05-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Got leupold Prw rings. And switched the redfield for a silver leupold vx2. Got to sight it in before thurs. Me , fella and a few others will be chasing bruins around merit for my first big game hunt. Any last minute tips?

Wentrot
05-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Got leupold Prw rings. And switched the redfield for a silver leupold vx2. Got to sight it in before thurs. Me , fella and a few others will be chasing bruins around merit for my first big game hunt. Any last minute tips?
Sounds like you have a good crew of people going. I wish you luck!

Fella
05-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Matt, I'm excited to see your new rifle in action!

Westcoast 75
05-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Hey Matt, glad the prw rings worked out for ya! Sounds like your rig is coming together.

good luck on your first hunt buddy!

hunter fisher
05-27-2014, 08:47 AM

bud check out camera land new york open box specials. you can grab a great deal on optics. i recently got a new vortex scope, diamondback 50mm, retails at wholesale for 320, got it for 190 at cameraland, free shipping. and because your order it from new york, they don't charge tax on it!! AND even if its busted when it arrives, send it back to vortex for a brand new one because of there lifetime warranty. youd be crazy not to do it!

Fella
05-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Didn't think you could by scopes from the states?

Wentrot
05-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Didn't think you could by scopes from the states?

A few places slip them through.

Treestand, delete your post your ruining it!! Lol

mattmcgiver
05-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Appreciate the suggestion. Already have it assembled with a silver leupold vx2 from the EE on another forum.

mattmcgiver
06-02-2014, 07:46 PM
First hunt successful! Where do I take 10 lbs of bear to getsome pepperoni made. Prefer not to leave tricities or Burnaby. Thanks in advance

Fella
06-02-2014, 07:47 PM
You got more coming your way buddy!

mattmcgiver
06-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Haha thought I would let you tell the story and share pics

hunter1947
06-04-2014, 03:43 AM
Welcome to HBC wish you success this years hunting season..