PDA

View Full Version : Braised Venison Shanks

IronNoggin
12-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I've always just cut the meat off these to toss in the sausage pile.
But one of my Buddies tried this out, and claims it was Awesome!
He did suggest a little lower heat over a longer period of time than noted in the recipe.
Literally Melts in your Mouth is the word!

http://honest-food.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/venison-shank-garlic-600px.jpg

Given that I have a pretty good pile of sausage material (the whole muley buck) and took a young whitetail doe, methinks I will definitely be trying this recipe out! That young doe should be Uber-Delicious cooked up this way methinks!

http://honest-food.net/2012/11/11/braised-venison-shanks-recipe-garlic/

Just thought I'd share for anyone looking to try something a little different with this cut...

Letcha know how ours turns out...

Cheers,
Nog

dragonslayer
12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Boy Nog that sure does look good, going to try making it.

harbinger
12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Man you gotta try Osso Bucco and serve it with Rissotto! F'ing awesome!

tightgrouper
12-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Some of my chef friend usually braise their deer shanks as well. They are just fine!

ratherbefishin
12-09-2012, 04:09 PM
absolutely- I did some moose shanks,and they are delicious-one tip-NEVER throw out pickle juice when you finish the jar-I use it so many ways-including diluting and using for braising

northcoastfun
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I also used to put the shanks in the sausage pile. But after making Osso Bucco a few years back I keep all the shanks from Deer,Moose etc.It's a great winter dinner plus if you put red/white wine in your recipe.you get the bonus of having a glass while your supper cooks.:-D

kennyj
12-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks Nog. Sounds great!
kenny

Allen50
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
it is good i alwese save the shank i think its the best part when its hot,, funny how everone makes it into mince till they someone tells them to try it,, its very tasty,,

fishingguy44
12-09-2012, 06:48 PM
That looks amazing. heading to Texeda shortly for a couple late season does. I know what im doing with them!

IronNoggin
01-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Decided to give this one another try last night, and it turned out Damn Good!

So, decided to post the slightly modified recipe I now use...

Braised Venison Shanks

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons butter
4 venison shanks
4 heads of garlic, peeled
Salt
1.5 cups white wine (a California Pinot Grigio in this case)
1 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons marjoram
Lemon peel from whole lemon finely grated
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 pound of fresh mushrooms
1 teaspoon of Garlic Plus spice

Method:

Take the shanks out of the fridge, coat them in a little oil and salt them well.

Preheat the oven to 300°F.

Heat the butter in a roaster and brown the shanks on every side but the one with the “shin,” where the bone shows clearly — if you brown this part, the shank is more likely to fall apart before you want it to. Remove the shanks as they brown and set aside.

While the shanks are browning, peel the garlic. Think it’s a pain in the ass to peel 4 plus heads of garlic? Try this trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d3oc24fD-c

Works Deadly!! I'll never use another method for garlic again!

Put the garlic in the roaster and brown a little. Pour in the white wine and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Bring this to a boil and add the chicken stock, thyme, rosemary and lemon peel. Bring to a simmer and add salt to taste (if desired). Return the shanks to the pot and arrange “shin” side up with the garlic all around them. Cover the pot and cook in the oven until the meat wants to fall off the bone, anywhere from two to 3 hours.

Slice mushrooms and add to buttered frying pan with Garlic Plus to marinade on top of stove. I set this on the burner that allows some heat to transfer up through, and they did not require any further cooking after 2.5 hours.

Carefully remove the shanks and arrange on a baking sheet. Turn the oven to 400°F. Remove a decent handful of the nicest garlic cloves and set aside.

Puree the sauce in a blender, mix in the unsalted butter and pour the sauce into a small pot to keep warm on the stove.

Paint the shanks with some of the sauce and put them in the oven. Paint every 5 minutes for 15 minutes, or until there is a nice glaze on the shanks. To serve, give everyone some mashed potatoes, veggie of choice, and a shank. Pour some sauce over everything and garnish with the roasted garlic cloves and mushrooms.

Add in your favorite veggies and wine, and Walla! A Meal VERY Much Fit For a King! http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Results:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Shanks_1.jpg

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Shanks_3.jpg

Shanks this time were from a young Blacktail, and turned out Melt In Your Mouth FANTASTIC!! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/bowdown[1].gif

Methinks I'll be keeping this recipe on hand... http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.gif

Cheers,
Nog

longstonec
01-31-2015, 02:16 PM
OOOOHHH Nice work. I was thinking about canning them bone in next year. But might have to push that back!

krazy
01-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Damn you Iron ... up till now I was always able to take this share of meat when me and my buddies split up the cuts and look like the good guy! ;)

swamper
01-31-2015, 05:07 PM
I think I may have to rethink my views on deer shanks. That looks damn good Noggin. Can't wait for next deer season to try this one.

07blackwater
01-31-2015, 07:04 PM
After braising moose shanks I melt some butter and honey together in a sauce pan and roll the shanks in that. Pretty yummy.

IronNoggin
11-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Decided to try this recipe out with some Lamb Shanks I collected earlier this fall (Many Thanks VanIsleCam ;-) ) and lost the damn recipe.
Had to come here to find it again! Thankfully still here...

Thought I'd bump it up as after all 'Tis The Season...

Cheers,
Nog

wiggy
11-26-2015, 10:55 PM
Shanks rule!

wildcatter
11-26-2015, 11:04 PM
When I cook venison, or beef for that matter, I don't add salt till it's almost done.
Cooks faster and more tender.

avadad
11-27-2015, 12:38 AM
Yup. I started doing shanks last year and I will never go back. Friggin amazing! Way easier than stripping the meat off for grind.

Viper
11-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Shanks in the crock pot with Guiness and beef broth on low for 24 hrs. To die for.

Piperdown
11-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Man you gotta try Osso Bucco and serve it with Rissotto! F'ing awesome!

x2 on the Osso Bucco so good and so easy to make

Glenny
11-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Awesome sauce!. I think I'll start doing the shank thing instead of trying to disect them during butchering. Sister in law makes nice Moroccan lamb shank dish in the slow cooker. The garlic trick looks good to as I put that shit in everything.

coach
11-27-2015, 08:28 PM
Great stuff, Matt! Sounds like I'd better hurry up and tag a deer so I can try this!

IronNoggin
11-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Great stuff, Matt! Sounds like I'd better hurry up and tag a deer so I can try this!

Congrats on the Whitetail Buddy!!

Let us know what you think of the shank recipe with that once you get around to it... ;-)

Cheers,
Nog

Fosey
11-30-2016, 02:09 PM
I at last tried this recipe with some Whitetail shanks. My wife and I really enjoyed it. The meat is to sinewy for hamburger but this recipe really was a nice surprise. Thanks.

MichelD
11-30-2016, 02:14 PM
Mrs. has some in the pressure cooker now to soften them up a bit then they'll go into the oven in a clay pot to cook for the afternoon with vegetables added at the appropriate time to bake for dinner.

Ubertuber
11-30-2016, 06:15 PM
I've always kept and cooked the shanks. So good.
Tough cuts, when cooked properly, can be the tastiest.

pin_head
01-14-2017, 01:31 AM
So, we tried a shank for the first time tonight. Turns out the stories are all true, it was awesome!

I browned it in a pan the best I could and then chucked it in the crock pot on high for 5 hours. The braise was nothing but a can of beer, chicken stock, whiskey, garlic, salt and pepper, and half an onion all sliced up.

It was super simple and super good, never again will they see the grind pile.

Cheers,
Brad

fuzzybiscuit
01-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Cool bump to the thread...

My wife has been cooking up deer shanks as per Matt's original recommendation for years now. One of the meals we look forward to the most. She even did up a ruttin' old Muley that had been living on Sage his whole life just recently and they were awesome!

IronNoggin
01-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Well Gentlemen, I would like to Thank you for bumping this thread! Very much that is!
Been sitting here all afternoon wondering just what to make for din-din.
Getting a little jaded with the same-old, and then this pops up!

Most Excellent! I happen to have damn near all the ingredients on hand (a quick nip to the wine store and all will be) so ran it past The Missuz to a rather Loud YES PLEASE! :grin:

Awesome! Wish all of life's little worries were so damn easy to handle!!

Cheers & thanks!
Nog

Bear Chaser
01-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Those look really good. I'll be trying them next year for sure.

Bear Chaser
01-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Okay so I found a left over portion of lower hind leg from my stone ram in the freezer that I had forgotten about. I tried this recipe and was happy with the result.
It got me thinking about this meal in camp using a Dutch oven. However fresh rosemary may or may not last being frozen in the bottom of a pack box after 7-10 days. Has anybody used mountain balsam in place of rosemary and how did it end up?

By the way I checked the original link that Iron Noggin posted and saw their was a recipe for Bear Osso Buncombe that should result in a dead bear or two this spring.

IronNoggin
01-22-2017, 08:19 PM
Happy that turned out well with the ram. Nice to know! :wink:

Never tried this in a camp / Dutch Oven, but that's a hell of a good idea...

... By the way I checked the original link that IronNoggin posted and saw their was a recipe for Bear Osso Buncombe that should result in a dead bear or two this spring.

Ah Man... you can't do that without posting the link! :-D

http://honest-food.net/osso-buco-recipe/

And after that, you are quite likely right on the bear. 8)

Cheers,
Nog

Bear Chaser
01-22-2017, 08:37 PM
And auto correct strikes again. LOL.

Thanks for posting the right link.

pin_head
01-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Too funny, after the first try in the crock pot my hunting partner and I immediately knew we needed a Dutch oven to make fresh braised shanks in camp.

Brad

two-feet
01-24-2017, 10:42 PM
Shank meat is my very favorite part of the animal right now ( closely followed by heart and tounge). A long slow braise with herbs and wine, or in a traditional stew recipe. For the big bull moose I got this year they needed a full 4 hours to become melt tender. Looking forward to bear shanks this spring!

high horse Hal
03-27-2022, 01:44 PM
Going to be tough to brown a moose shank, but this is in the works for dinner tomorrow
2 shanks in a roasting pan, wondering how much liquid to use, partial cover or submerge?
might soak for a day first

IronNoggin
03-27-2022, 02:06 PM
Going to be tough to brown a moose shank, but this is in the works for dinner tomorrow
2 shanks in a roasting pan, wondering how much liquid to use, partial cover or submerge?
might soak for a day first

I actually have both a roaster, and a monster deep dish fry pan that could handle the browning aspect rather well.
Be interested in how you deal with it...

I strongly suggest NOT to submerge. You are making shanks, not stew.
In fact when I do this, there is little more than an inch and 1/2 or so of liquid in the bottom of the pan.
Don't know what benefit soaking overnight would bring unless a marinade base with something in it (wine, lemon juice, vinegar) to help break it down some.

Low and slow on the heat is your friend.

Let us know how it turns out.

And thanks for bringing this back to the top.
Very much think I'll be doing either lamb or whitetail shanks tomorrow as a consequence.

Cheers,
Nog

Fosey
03-27-2022, 04:34 PM
Put some beer or wine in and cover. The liquid will tenderize the shank and lots of herbs. Good luck should be Fantastic

high horse Hal
03-27-2022, 04:42 PM
Thinking of brining for a few hours at least, will benefit the red meat , not sure how it will help the chewy bits , will do one

First will be a simple hunter broth, onion garlic beer s&p

Second will be wine with a healthy dose of pickling spice blend and maybe a dash of smoke

Ubertuber
03-28-2022, 08:38 AM
I don't see a need to brine a shank. Braising will take care of the chewy bits in a nice way.

wildcatter
03-28-2022, 09:54 AM
Happy that turned out well with the ram. Nice to know! :wink:

Never tried this in a camp / Dutch Oven, but that's a hell of a good idea...

Ah Man... you can't do that without posting the link! :-D

http://honest-food.net/osso-buco-recipe/

And after that, you are quite likely right on the bear. 8)

Cheers,
Nog

I saved the link to Hank Shaw, he's got a lot of good recipes and ideas.

IronNoggin
04-02-2022, 11:14 AM
Accidentally posted in the wrong thread...

Moved to: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?148663-Wild-game-Dinners-2018-2019&p=2332745#post2332745

Cheers,
Nog

wildcatter
04-02-2022, 11:37 AM
Man that looks so good!:-D