PDA

View Full Version : How To Mount Deer Legs???

blaker_99
12-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Hey guys just a really quick post.... my little brother really wants me to make him a coat hanger from my deers feet. (haha kinda funny he's only 8 and he loves helping me skin and loves hunting himself, he even managed to hammered a few grouse this year) anyways How do i cure the legs so the hen of the house doesn't scream and rip my head off for having animal parts in the house haha. I'm going to put them on a little plaque and give it to him for christmas. If anyone has any methods it would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

Elkhound
12-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Just posting cause I really wanted to subscribe to this thread to see what ideas are come up with:)

blaker_99
12-07-2006, 03:25 PM
i hear ya elkhound haha well i've tried researching on the net to see what comes up but there isn't much besides skinning the leg and putting it on a form and also freeze dried legs but where do i get that done haha come one someone out there has to be decorating there house with deer parts. cheers.:lol:

Dirty
12-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Why not call a taxidermist and ask them how to do it? I am sure they will be helpful, especially if you tell them it is for your 8yr old brother. Why not ask our sponsor, Heads Above The Rest Taxidermy, he is a member on here(MainlandHunter I think?). I am sure it can be done because I have seen mounts where the deer is made to look like it is jumping out of the wall and the two front legs are done.

blaker_99
12-07-2006, 03:31 PM
thats a good idea i'll get on that. thanks

mainland hunter
12-07-2006, 09:44 PM
the best way is to get em freeze dried or mounted. some people just let em dry out and say it turns out fine but the hair could fall out and u might get a bug or stink problem if they get damp at all.

browningboy
12-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Just coat them in a sh*tload of laquer, they'll always have that lusterous shine!!:lol:

Jager
12-08-2006, 05:22 PM
My Dad tied them up to get a 90 degree bend suitable for a coat hook then picked out as much of the bone marrow as possible ( he may have used a drill) then I believe he salted the heck out of them on a rack by the wood stove and just let them dry out. There is no real stink as they have been kept dry in the house. I don't know how they would fair if they got wet.

bsa30-06
12-08-2006, 06:36 PM
jager, or anybody else have a picture of the finished product.I would like to see it, never thought of doing this but now i'm curious.

Will
12-08-2006, 07:05 PM
jager, or anybody else have a picture of the finished product.I would like to see it, never thought of doing this but now i'm curious.
:wink:
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/mvc-621f.jpg

bsa30-06
12-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks Will, i like it, looks good.

Will
12-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks Will, i like it, looks good.
I stole the Pic from an E-Bay ad...
They do make an Interesting looking Gun Rack though.
And it's better then throwing them in the landfill:|

browningboy
12-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Thats hilarious, you wouldn't actually hang that in your house, would you?? It seems like the perfect fit for a man cave or cabin, but I just couldn't see it, oh well, thats me I guess!:smile:

ryanb
12-08-2006, 09:43 PM
That's straight out of the redneck home decorating manual...hilarious ;)

Hidehanger
12-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Guys:
You could hire someone like me to do it for you and it'll cost about the same, or go to Research Mannikins website ( www.rmi-online.com (http://www.rmi-online.com) ) and you can order freeze-dried white-tail feet (sizes small-X-large) from them....no muss, no fuss and all you do is install some threaded rod and attach them to a wood panel.....I would strongly recommend that you don't do what others have posted here (nice helpful ideas but) because if you have other mounts in your house the household dried feet can attract bugs and once you get bugs they get into all your mounts and then you will notice some hair falling out and then you will loose everything! The freeze-dried feet that Research sells will at least not fluctuate with internal humidity and not decompose like the recipes in the other posts will and this will protect your other mounts from bugs!
Later!