PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag systems

Buck
12-08-2012, 10:29 AM
This year i want to get a down bag for sheep hunting to cut some weight.My sheep hunting is in Sept (current bag is 4.5 pounds)I'm torn between getting a 0 to -2C bag and wearing my down jacket if temps drop below freezing or play it safe and get -10 C bag.Weight differance is 1.3 pounds to around 2 +pounds dependant on temperature rating.Looking for opinions on using your clothes to help regulate the fluctuating temps at that time of year for sleeping and for cutting weight with your bag.

harbinger
12-08-2012, 10:39 AM
I would go for the -10 bag. Personally, I try to get out of all my clothes when I sleep in my bag but I'm a fairly warm sleeper. I find if I wear my clothes inside my bag I overheat and my bag doesn't breathe as well as when I'm not wearing clothes. As far as the weight difference goes, 2 pounds is negligible and you will lose that in body weight in the first couple days! (or try to lose it before you go) Most guys are trying to shave a pound or two off their gear when they could probably lose that much body weight before they leave for their hunt.(myself included)
One thing is for sure, you will be hating life if the bag you buy is not warm enough when you are up there!

bigwhiteys
12-08-2012, 11:15 AM
I went with a Valandre Bloody Mary. It's about 2.5lbs, packs really small and with the interchangeable collars and can be comfortable down to -10. I use a Exped downmat7 for a sleeping pad and also sleep in merino wool long underwear (top/bottom). To combat over heating and sweaty feet I just keep the foot box vented 6" or so.... I've hunted Stones in Aug,Sept and Oct using that combo with no complaints.

2lbs difference between bags in a sheep hunting pack is a HUGE weight difference...

Buck
12-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Every ounce counts after my stone hunt last year I had to change into my waders to cross a swamp.left the waders at the crossing during the hunt.anyways tied my 5 pound hiking boots onto my pack man that was heavy. Lol.bloody Mary is on my short list.

ytlogger
12-08-2012, 07:53 PM
I got a Western Mountaineering Badger last summer and used it through the fall. That particular model is for widebodies but I was very happy with the quality overall. Just over 2 lbs.. There are lots of good bags in the -10ish range.

One Shot
12-09-2012, 01:16 AM
I bought made in Canada Taiga 1001 Nights barrel bag in at 4#. I like the extra room over my down mummy bag and do not mind the extra weight for the comfort/warmth. Good for -18 can will go colder with my bivy sac and even more when using a fleece bag liner.

digger dogger
12-09-2012, 09:42 AM
I bought a western mountaineering apache.
after 5 yrs the R value went down, so I returned it and told them the R value was going down and I had a cold trip. They gave me a brand new bag...(very happy with WM) Fleece liner helps from sticking to the bag and added warmth...

I would have went with a Taiga 1001 nights, but Taiga was closed that day..

digger dogger
12-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Exped7 is the best mat I've ever slept on hunting. (Well worth the weight and comfort)
Never again will I sleep on a therma rest type mat..

The Dude
12-09-2012, 09:55 AM
What's a sleeping bag "system"? Is that like...a sleeping bag?

Krico
12-09-2012, 10:44 AM
A bag rated for 0 degrees is really only comfortable to around 10 degrees, and below that you'll be wearing layers. Keep in mind also that mummy bags are designed with minimal space inside for your body to keep heated-not a ton of room for layers, at least not with any comfort. There are many bags out there with an approximate -10 rating at around the 2lb mark. I just shopped around for the best deal on the basic specs I wanted without being fixated on one brand or model. I ended up with a Marmot Helium EQ for just over $300.00 from an online retailer-800 fill power down and a waterproof breathable membraine shell, weighs 2 lbs. I'll bet you it's just as warm and dry as the $700.00 options from Western Mountaineering and Valandre in the same temp ratings. Just as light too.

J-Man
12-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Down bags warm you based on skin contact. If you add a layer like a jacket you will be colder. I've seen allot of soldiers over the years with hypothermia because instead of stripping down they crawled into there bags with there parka inner on.

Buck
12-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Down bags warm you based on skin contact. If you add a layer like a jacket you will be colder. I've seen allot of soldiers over the years with hypothermia because instead of stripping down they crawled into there bags with there parka inner on.

Interesting statement but why would the bag manufacturers make bags for layering?Most serious mountain assault bags are designed to be light in weight and used in conjunction with the clothing their wearing.Maybe if you climb into a bag with wet clothing the moisture will transfer to the outer bag?
You're not suggesting two soldiers sleep naked in the same bag are you?I'm not that kind of soldier.

Krico
12-10-2012, 10:25 PM
"Interesting" statement for sure. I guess if that's the case my down jacket should work the same, and rather than wearing a wool undershirt and a sweater underneath it while icefishing I should go shirtless and be warmer, based on "skin contact." What a bunch of bologna. Down bags keep you warm by insulating, not by having direct contact with your skin.

Panic
12-10-2012, 11:14 PM
What is your budget for this system and are you set on down filled?
A 'survival bivy' (http://www.carinthiashop.com/en/scripts/zbozi.php?KID=2)will probably be the best purchase of your life...just over 2 lbs in weight and good down to minus 30. It ain't cheap but it'll see you right for the next 50 years of hunting

Big Lew
12-10-2012, 11:19 PM
You'll be much better off with a '0 to -10 bag'. As others have said, there's several good 2-3 lbs. bags available. Using a lighter summer bag and layering is not that comfortable (is restrictive and bunches up) and unless you're wearing 'wick-away' clothing, will absorb body moisture as you sleep, and it's not nice to get up to a cold morning with wet clothes. I used a '0 to -10' bag while bicycling through Alaska, the Yukon, and northern B.C. when several nights got down -7 or lower, and I was fairly comfortable without having to put extra clothing on. Using a good insulating mat rather than air is a must. If it really gets cold, your feet will suffer in a cheap summer bag.

J-Man
12-10-2012, 11:35 PM
"Interesting" statement for sure.... What a bunch of bologna.
I try to educate, I have 12 years in the field but what do I know. Go search google and educate yourself, if you get into a down bag and your dry but cold its not going to work 100% to its potential. Strip down keep on your thinner layers like long underwear. Do some situps you will start warmer and stay warmer then wearing your down jacket in an already down bag.

Down is not warm in itself, it’s simply an insulator. Firstly, you have to heat up the bag. Getting in hot is the best way. Wearing tons of clothes stops the heat getting into the down. You may not be cold as your clothes will provide some insulation, but you’re not making the most of the potential warmth of the down. Heat will seep out into the down slowly if you are wearing all your clothes and you may wake up warm in the night, but it’s better to get warm from the start.

hellojello74
12-11-2012, 06:16 PM
a possible option imo is using a bag liner, it all depends on doing multiple trips where different bags are needed, ie don't need to pack in summer but will in fall
Just food for thought

Supposedly good for 11*C, I have one and its warmer thats for sure, not comfortable saying how much yet with out some more trying it out.
http://www.rei.com/product/797114/sea-to-summit-thermolite-reactor-extreme-mummy-bag-liner

One Shot
12-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Bags keep you warm by insulating the heat in that your body gives off. I do not know of any bag that produces heat unless it plugs into AC or DC. currents.

Here is some of the things that I have learned over the years from experts and from my own trial and error over the years.

Bag warmth ratings affect evry one differently due to our individual metabolical make ups. It is better to buy warmer bag than not.

Keep your bags DRY.
DO NOT compress them when they are not in use regardless of the insulating material - same goes for your therma rest.
Buy a bag with the best insulating material you can afford.
Guide - Down filler for winter and drier climates, synthetic for continious rainy wet climates.
Synthetic dries easier that down.
Now that some bags have a gortex style covering this can slow the drying process down.
Hit the rack with an empty bladder. It takes alot of energy keeping a full bladder warm at nite.
Get in your bag naked.
Wearing skivies holds moisture on the skin and in the material, moisture wicks away body heat - take em off.
Getting cold-
Put on socks.
Put on a watch cap knit cap or what you fellers call a tooque.
Put on hand socks
Still cold-
Put on a base layer top.
Then bottoms if need be.
Still cold then put on another layer of insulating material which will allow moisture to wick away.
If you have a fleece bag liner 100 or 200 wt use it. it will add a few degrees off warmth.
A additional bag liner placed over the top of the bag will also increase a few degrees.
Put an insulating barrier between you and the ground.
If it is real cold put something between your bag and your insulating barrier as moisture will draw to the barrier if it is not permeable so your bag bottom stays dry.
DO NOT breath into your bag in effort to stay warm, moisture from your breath will condense and make every thing damp and cold.
If you can afford one use a bivy sack it will also add a few degrees warmth. Turn them inside out in the morning to get rid of any remaining moisture.
Let your bag air out before packing it away to wick away any remaining moisture.

Hitting the rack with all your cloths on slows the process of your b ody heating the bag up. If you hit the rack cold you are going to be colder longer before it warms up. Try to get your body warm first before hitting the rack. Put your clothing layers in the bag with you to keep warm and put on if need be.

Hope this is helpful

Nuff Said?

Big Lew
12-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Bags keep you warm by insulating the heat in that your body gives off. I do not know of any bag that produces heat unless it plugs into AC or DC. currents.

Here is some of the things that I have learned over the years from experts and from my own trial and error over the years.

Bag warmth ratings affect evry one differently due to our individual metabolical make ups. It is better to buy warmer bag than not.

Keep your bags DRY.
DO NOT compress them when they are not in use regardless of the insulating material - same goes for your therma rest.
Buy a bag with the best insulating material you can afford.
Guide - Down filler for winter and drier climates, synthetic for continious rainy wet climates.
Synthetic dries easier that down.
Now that some bags have a gortex style covering this can slow the drying process down.
Hit the rack with an empty bladder. It takes alot of energy keeping a full bladder warm at nite.
Get in your bag naked.
Wearing skivies holds moisture on the skin and in the material, moisture wicks away body heat - take em off.
Getting cold-
Put on socks.
Put on a watch cap knit cap or what you fellers call a tooque.
Put on hand socks
Still cold-
Put on a base layer top.
Then bottoms if need be.
Still cold then put on another layer of insulating material which will allow moisture to wick away.
If you have a fleece bag liner 100 or 200 wt use it. it will add a few degrees off warmth.
A additional bag liner placed over the top of the bag will also increase a few degrees.
Put an insulating barrier between you and the ground.
If it is real cold put something between your bag and your insulating barrier as moisture will draw to the barrier if it is not permeable so your bag bottom stays dry.
DO NOT breath into your bag in effort to stay warm.
If you can afford on use a bivy sack it will also add a few degrees warmth. Trn them inside out in the morning to get rid of any remaining moisture.
Let your bag air out before packing it away to wick away any remaining moisture.

Hitting the rack with all your cloths on slows the process of your b ody heating the bag up. If you hit the rack cold you are going to be colder longer before it warms up. Try to get your body warm first before hitting the rack. Put your clothing layers in the bag with you to keep warm and put on if need be.

Hope this is helpful

Nuff Said?

Very thorough and accurate, good stuff.

Rob
01-03-2013, 01:47 PM
My current set up is around 6lbs.
-Mont Bell Sprial Down -10 bag (2 lbs)
-Exped synmat 7 (1 lbs)
-Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 (3 lbs)

Buck
01-03-2013, 06:52 PM
My current set up is around 6lbs.
-Mont Bell Sprial Down -10 bag (2 lbs)
-Exped synmat 7 (1 lbs)
-Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 (3 lbs)
Nice Rob I ordered a Valandre Bloody Mary for my bag and will be using it with a Exped synmat 7 and a Integral designs Wedge bivy .Cheers

Weatherby Fan
01-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Nice Rob I ordered a Valandre Bloody Mary for my bag and will be using it with a Exped synmat 7 and a Integral designs Wedge bivy .Cheers

Bought a Valandre Shocking Blue sleeping bag two years ago and it's awesome, was highly recommended by Devilbear !
You will be very happy with your choice.
WF

warnniklz
01-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Would you guys rather use a good sleeping bag rated to -5 with a shitty tent or a warmer (-15) sleeping bag with siltarp for a trip with tempatures hovering around -10?

J-Man
01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
A wall tent with stove? Or like a Canadian tire tent? Bivee bag and a leanto I've done fine to -25. With a solid double bag and liner.

warnniklz
01-03-2013, 10:08 PM
one from crappy tire

KTownKiller
01-03-2013, 11:05 PM
I always just sleep in my tighty whiteys in my down bag. Under that, I now put an Exped.:-D I should have got the one with down, but I found that it works great with a thin layer of foam on it. I'm always warmer than my hunting partners who insist on wearing some clothes. It just really sucks when I have to go for a leak!!! :?
Under my tent, I put a couple foil survival blankets. Keeps the tent floor dry, reflects heat back into tent, and doesn't weigh anything. Just tuck the edges under the tent a bit so it doesn't get water on top.

warnniklz
01-03-2013, 11:58 PM
I always pack a small camp towl and dry off before bed even if I don't think I'm wet. I'll at most sleep in long johns depending. In the morning I'll pull a shirts and socks into the sleeping bag for a quick warm up.

anglo-saxon
01-04-2013, 12:14 AM

I've used down sleeping bags in the army for over thirty years. You might have seen troops with hypothermia, but not for the reason you stated. An extra layer inside a down bag will not reduce the thermal efficiency of the down. It will just take a little longer for the air in between the down to warm up. I use a fleece liner in my army issue down s. bag and have done for years. I also only take one layer off as it is not tactically sound to "strip down" as you put it (in the interest of "readiness" and all that... same reason we wouldn't take off our boots...just unblouse the pants and ensure the elastics are not around the leg itself). The most common reason I have seen for a guy getting cold in his down sleeping bag is that he shoves his face inside his bag and the hours of moisture from his breath cause a chill to permeate the bag. It's important to keep the mouth outside the bag. Same reason you don't want to blow up a thermarest with your mouth.

But psychologically, it is always good to take at least one layer off before getting into the sleeping bag, so you have a layer to put on when you get up. Then when you do get up, you drop down and do a few push-ups to get the blood (and therefore heat) pumping, then throw on that outer layer.

J-Man
01-04-2013, 01:52 AM
Good stuff, I served 12yrs. While I don't feel like explaining everything I meant again and my posts are short and don't exactly make the point I'm going for I feel its been explained enough. If we meet at a get together we can chat about it.