PDA

View Full Version : Skagit valley

howa1500
12-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Figured I have a day off Sunday, and with the looming closure of hunting season, why not go out for one more day.

Anyone been out to the skagit valley lately? Wondering how the snow and sign are looking?

k-man
12-07-2012, 10:10 PM
A buddy of mine was out on Monday. Rain, no snow. Will be snowing there this weekend. 2 weeks ago we got a 3x3 out of the Skagit. Not much sign though....need more snow to bring the deer down.

Hunter49
12-08-2012, 11:04 AM
I was up the Skagit yesterday. Got about 20km up the road and came across a large cedar tree blowdown blocking the road. With no chainsaw, that ended my hunt and a few others who were following us in. Hopefully someone with clear the road this week.

heatherdaddy
12-08-2012, 01:04 PM
where did you get a 3x3 in the skagit, I have been there every weekend for the last month and nothing. No sign and no deer at all. will be there next weekend though for last day.

mr eagle
12-09-2012, 08:51 PM
LOTS of trucks in there today. Saw a couple does in the bush while still hunting, was a nice day in the fresh snow.

Steeleco
12-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Did you happen to stop and chat with 2 guys in a Jeep on tracks?? We stopped and spoke to a few guys today. We saw one doe just inside the park, a black mink (we think) and some very fresh kitty tracks in tire tracks from a truck we'd seen going the other way only minutes before.

Was a good day, we had a rifle with us, but weren't really there to hunt. I think we'll back for cats after Xmas!!

mr eagle
12-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Didn't see the jeep, but you just solved a mystery for us, as we were trying to figure out WTF made those tracks everywhere!

heatherdaddy
12-09-2012, 09:57 PM
How much snow was there? I am going there next weekend.

Steeleco
12-09-2012, 11:05 PM
There was about 18" in the out of the way areas in and around the 40km area. Once off the main drag, it's getting pretty deep. The road is about he worst I've ever seen it for the first 25km.

Mr. Dean
12-10-2012, 03:20 AM
LOTS of trucks in there today. Saw a couple does in the bush while still hunting, was a nice day in the fresh snow.

I thought it wasn't too bad and was expecting a REAL gong show. Was a picturesque day out tooling about...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/IMG_4489.jpg

heatherdaddy
12-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Now that looks like fun. In hope the snow stays as I heard rain was in store for there this week.

HIGHRPM
12-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Great pic, a great day out for sure !

howa1500
12-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Skagit was nice, quite a bit of sign in the provincial park and saw a few does, trees were crashing regularly with the weight of the snow. Some killer potholes along the way though, so be careful!

Quite a few people out yesterday, but I was hiking most of the time, away from the road.

i stopped and spoke to the guys in the jeep, great guys and an awesome rig! Rarely do I get jealous, but that thing was killer!

Mr. Dean
12-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Skagit was nice, quite a bit of sign in the provincial park and saw a few does, trees were crashing regularly with the weight of the snow. Some killer potholes along the way though, so be careful!

Quite a few people out yesterday, but I was hiking most of the time, away from the road.

i stopped and spoke to the guys in the jeep, great guys and an awesome rig! Rarely do I get jealous, but that thing was killer!

We spoke with a few drivers; which one were ya?

howa1500
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Brown pickup, green camo, you pulled over to the side, then reversed out of the snow when I left, halfway into the provincial park, close to rhododendron day use area

Mr. Dean
12-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Brown pickup, green camo, you pulled over to the side, then reversed out of the snow when I left, halfway into the provincial park, close to rhododendron day use area

Ahhhhhhh.
Just as you left, we scoped out some SMOKING HOT bobber tracks.

They went about 50 yards then bounded off into the bush; I figure you nearly ran him over. :lol:

ASPEN
12-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Was up there as well-saw some tracks and lots of road hunters,got followed by a lynx up the skagit river trail -ran in to The jeep a couple times.
That Jeep looks pretty cool-what did it cost to do that? and are you running locker in the front-( was the silver ford diesel that was in your way a couple times)
Got a Jeep lying around doing nothing.

Mr. Dean
12-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Was up there as well-saw some tracks and lots of road hunters,got followed by a lynx up the skagit river trail -ran in to The jeep a couple times.
That Jeep looks pretty cool-what did it cost to do that? and are you running locker in the front-( was the silver ford diesel that was in your way a couple times)
Got a Jeep lying around doing nothing.

I only use the locker for getting out of trouble, hence it was never engaged on that outing except for a short test to see it worked (new install).
Track kit ran me $10,5oo.oo

Here's the whole story;
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?29835-Snow-Jeep

howa1500
12-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah, no doubt! Saw quite a bit of cat tracks around

BuckEye
12-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Wow, now that is one cool looking tracked jeep. Last time I saw it there were no tracks and it was lonely in the woods on a trailer..owner MIA. A little blood on the trailer jack area and a fresh bear bitten spare gas tank. Looks like things are back on "track". Good to hear. Love the challenge of the local region 2 haunts and have never done the area of topic. Watch for a Green Side by side polaris ranger in the area. No tracks "yet".

Mr. Dean
12-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Wow, now that is one cool looking tracked jeep. Last time I saw it there were no tracks and it was lonely in the woods on a trailer..owner MIA. A little blood on the trailer jack area and a fresh bear bitten spare gas tank. Looks like things are back on "track". Good to hear. Love the challenge of the local region 2 haunts and have never done the area of topic. Watch for a Green Side by side polaris ranger in the area. No tracks "yet".

Ya,,,,, that was a year ago October.
Had a pesky black bear take me on and all I had was a buck knife.

He left me pretty f'd up but I did win, eventually. :wink: