PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Waterfowl hunting in Mud/Boundry Bay

Sasqman
12-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Hey guys,

I've only ever hunt the wee morinng hours in and around boundry/mud bay. I've always done this as to avoid higher pedestrian numbers along the dike as the day goes on. What are peoples experience waterfowl hunting in this area when the public presence is a little higher in the afternoon/evening. Is it something to worry about?
Any thoughts or experiences would be great.

Thanks

Paul

sparkes3
12-07-2012, 04:49 PM
nothing to worry about,just smile and nod .
if you have anyone interfere with your hunt call the cops and get them out there to enforce the law.

itsy bitsy xj
12-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Most people out there know about the on going duck hunting and will just smile and wave

mklaver
12-07-2012, 06:10 PM
I would say 98% of people are either neutral or are positive and ask questions and wish me luck. One guys even wanted his picture taken with me. I also make sure to be extra friendly and say hi to everybody and a "beautiful day,eh?" works wonders too. I have only had 2 arguements out there - one with a guy who said I need to be 100m off the dyke (wrong, only during the late goose hunt around March) and a crazy vegetarian who doesn't like hunting anywhere or even fishing, but had no issues with wearing leather boots. :-D That said, I tend to pick my times and like to go mid week or mornings. On a sunny sat afternoon after a week of rain it will get busy out there. I also pick and choose when and where I shoot. Not much good will come from blasting away on a group of ducks a group of bird watchers have their scopes set on - move long to another flock as there will be others, often not far away. I also tend to wait until people aren't too close - I try for 150 yards away or so. A little respect and a lot of common sense goes a long way. I like the reminder from sparkes3 that it is in fact illegal to interfere with a legal hunt - I may have to haul that one out of my back pocket someday....... Michael

warnniklz
12-07-2012, 06:23 PM
You know that blind made of steel and chainlink?? Gramps, Our duck hunting buddy, my brother and myself built that a number of years ago now.

Use it... I'm not sure if it survived last winter. But there was a big tree out there that I liked to shoot off of. Have never had a problem.

If I remember correctly you have to be 100 yards off the dyke. Have never had a problem.

f350ps
12-07-2012, 07:09 PM
You know that blind made of steel and chainlink?? Gramps, Our duck hunting buddy, my brother and myself built that a number of years ago now.

Use it... I'm not sure if it survived last winter. But there was a big tree out there that I liked to shoot off of. Have never had a problem.

If I remember correctly you have to be 100 yards off the dyke. Have never had a problem.
Why would anybody build a blind out of steel and chainlink when there's an endless supply of wood out there? There's a foreshore clean up every spring and this is the kind of shit that has to be dragged in and disposed of. K

mklaver
12-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Definitely not - that reg just applies to the goose hunt from about Feb 10th to March 10th (I'd have to pull the regs to double check the eact dates) but the dyke is wide open all season, as long as you are off the dyke when shooting.

warnniklz
12-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Why would anybody build a blind out of steel and chainlink when there's an endless supply of wood out there? There's a foreshore clean up every spring and this is the kind of shit that has to be dragged in and disposed of. K

Considering it's been there since roughly '02v or '03 I'd say it's been built pretty solid. The steel has been pounded down about 4 feet and the chainlink is latched on there quite well. And we're always packing shit out... so it's all even stevens, hunky dory, tickity boo... so if you don't like it... don't use it

f350ps
12-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Trust me I won't use it, but I'm sure as christ happy all the guys that shoot out there don't think like you, it would look like a scrap yard out there. K

MFERGIE
12-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Definitely not - that reg just applies to the goose hunt from about Feb 10th to March 10th (I'd have to pull the regs to double check the eact dates) but the dyke is wide open all season, as long as you are off the dyke when shooting.

Delta Waterfowlers I would love to hear your knowledge on the above. It seems every year people have a slightly different idea on the 100 meter dyke restrictions. After reading the regs many times and speaking with the area conservation officer I believe the rule is "no hunting within 100m of the dyke"

MFERGIE
12-07-2012, 11:24 PM
I should clarify with what I know from my experiences. Once upon a time I was hunting the dyke with an older fellow and his bird dog. Making our way along the dyke we were trying to find a few ring necked runners pushed over from neighboring fields. We didn't bag any that day but once back at the truck a CO came over and checked us out. After talking with him about our walk along the dyke he told us we were lucky we didn't shoot anything as we were not 100m from the dyke and the area within that 100m is and was closed to hunting period. Even after showing him the regs and how that rule was under Geese only from Feb 10-march 10, he stated his knowledge of the law was hunting period. So since that day I've stayed 100m off just to be sure he doesn't come back and rain on my parade.

mklaver
12-08-2012, 10:38 AM
The regs are crystal clear on this - page 36 - the 100m restriction applys ONLY during the Canada and Cackling Goose opening Feb 10 - March 10. Now if everybody else wants to go sit 100m out in Mud Bay while I am up by the shore........:-D all kidding aside, re-read them. There isn't even mention of it in the ducks section. The Regs are clear and there is no changes to thids online. It would be an interesting conversation with the C.O. If he or she would try to press that issue today, they would be wrong.....

yamadirt 426
12-08-2012, 11:17 AM
The regs are crystal clear on this - page 36 - the 100m restriction applys ONLY during the Canada and Cackling Goose opening Feb 10 - March 10. Now if everybody else wants to go sit 100m out in Mud Bay while I am up by the shore........:-D all kidding aside, re-read them. There isn't even mention of it in the ducks section. The Regs are clear and there is no changes to thids online. It would be an interesting conversation with the C.O. If he or she would try to press that issue today, they would be wrong.....

This is the way I read it also. Good to know I don't have to walk that far and can hunt way further up the dyke where there is no foreshore to hunt in.

MFERGIE
12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
mklaver and yamadirt thanks for the feedback! I was surprised the Co didn't understand the regs as they were written even after we pulled them out and showed him the actual closure of the area from feb10-march10 under geese only! I guess I have too much faith in authority types being on the up and up when it comes to the laws...I mean come on its their job for pete sake! What I don't understand is the reasoning behind the closure only for the goose season for feb10-march10 and not for ducks etc?
To keep this on track I will say that other than the misinformation, the Co was pleasant to deal with, friendly and seemed like an all around good guy! The birdwatchers and dog walkers have for the most part been friendly as well but on occasion I have gotten a dirty look or two. I find if I smile and wave I will usually be smiled and waved at back.

Freshtracks
12-08-2012, 01:54 PM
This is the way I read it also. Good to know I don't have to walk that far and can hunt way further up the dyke where there is no foreshore to hunt in.

You didn't add this part ...

- page 36 - the 100m restriction applys ONLY during the Canada and Cackling Goose opening Feb 10 - March 10.

The 100 metre restriction does not apply to that portion of Delta known as Westham Island.So reading this, my interpretation is .... No Shooting from dyke during the Spring Canada season. And Westham Is. only is exempt from the dyke no shooting restriction. I'd follow up with a call to Jack Evans @ MOE or Delta municipality for clarification.

mklaver
12-08-2012, 04:37 PM
@ Freshtracks - all good points - correct. It's funny you say to go into Delta Muni and ask for clarification. I started hunting fall of 2011 and before I did anything, I went into City Hall and started to ask questions about where I can hunt etc..... Nobody at City Hall had any idea at all! I said " I guess nobody ever comes in and asks these kind of questions, eh?". The City has no clue. I have a friend who is a Delta Police officer and he set me straight. Clerawater Sports in Ladner is also a good source of info - buy some shells while I ask questions. :-D