PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa Area Whitetail Bucks

CBH
12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
So, over the past 5 years or so I have grown to have this obsession with hunting whitetails. I am sure many of you may laugh or think it is strange as this species is sometimes referred to as “rats” and that they are overtaking mule deer habitat. Either way, I have become addicted to hunting them. Maybe it is the fact that in Region 3 driving cutblocks is not overly productive for WT’s or possibly it is the fact that they are way more spooky than mule deer. I find it much more difficult to be successful with WT’s.

About 2 years ago I started using my trail camera to see if I was even in the right location and how many were around. I found out that the area I hunt has a few whitetails in it but the bucks wouldn’t show themselves during the day. I also came to the realization that I needed to change my hunting style. Walking as slow and silent as I could in the past was not working as I would see them but then I would see the big white flag waving “good bye” to me. Maybe I am not as silent as I think.

Last week, I decided that I would sit and rattle in an area that I have seen them before. A buddy and I walk into the first spot I wanted to rattle, after about 25 minutes and 2 rattling sessions, I notice some movement. After a few more moments I realize it is a doe but out of nowhere a WT buck busts me and runs in a circle not 30 yards in front of me. Just when I thought it was all over and was extremely disappointed, I notice another WT buck to my right at about 50 yards. I look at my buddy and he is staring straight at it but with no gun in hand. I decide that I have to make a move to get into a shooting position. After what felt like an eternity of both of us staring down this WT buck, I am in position. My heart is pounding and hands are shaking, one last breath and squeeze the trigger. I see the buck drop in his tracks and I jump up. After a few high five’s and man hugs, we collect our WT buck and head to the truck.

On our way out, we decide to quickly drive through a different area. A white flag gets my attention, “white tail” I yell. Buddy gets out, I ID it as WT buck and boom!! Two WT bucks down. What a memorable morning shared with a great hunting partner!

My WT buck: http://i49.tinypic.com/r74tx4.jpg

My buddies WT buck: http://i50.tinypic.com/15gyxwx.jpg

Jason Melo
12-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Good job on the whities! Some real good eats right there!

Steelpulse
12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
awesome, im looking for whitetails now will be out the next 3 days, was this recently that you shot them?

krazy
12-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Nicely done! Heading up that way this weekend ... hope I get half as lucky as you guys!

pipe-it
12-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Nice job tunkwa is awsome fun

kennyj
12-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Nice bucks! Fun to rattle one in.
kenny

Looking_4_Jerky
12-07-2012, 02:21 AM
awesome, im looking for whitetails now will be out the next 3 days, was this recently that you shot them?

It was the morning of Sat Dec 1. I was surprised they were still receptive to the rattle as I'd heard the pre-rut was a better bet. I'll take it though. The tenderloins on mine have been devoured - I was cutting them in my plate with barely any pressure on my fork!

hunter1947
12-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Way to go gents you did very well on getting these two deer your story was very nice and you got prim meat to go into your freezers ,,congrats to the two of you on a very successful hunt..

Looking_4_Jerky
12-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Way to go gents you did very well on getting these two deer your story was very nice and you got prim meat to go into your freezers ,,congrats to the two of you on a very successful hunt..

Thanks, 1947. That is very nice.

I was in your neck of the woods recently and had some chances at some nicer whities but opted to hold out for some big ones that we never found. You can't hold out on the young whities in Reg 3 though, especially in December!.